“Family atmosphere, friendly service” 5 of 5 stars

Green House Aparta Hotel
St. Lic. Lovaton # 7 | Gazcue, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (Gazcue)   |
Ranked #37 of 76 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Wilmington, NC
“Family atmosphere, friendly service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

We are happy with our clean room for 60 usd per night for a triple. We are a family of 4 and there is more than enough sleeping space. The front desk is very helpful and nice. We booked this hotel by emailing the place and they responded right away. They also arranged a taxi for us to meet us at the airport, the ride cost us 35 usd. This isn't the Hilton, but a nice clean family run place that we feel good about, especially with kids

• Stayed June 2011

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
miami
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

I am an american male that has been to santo domingo 5 times each time always staying around the area of zona colonial (very close to gazcue). The last time I went I went with a friend and upon another good friends recommendation we stayed at the green house. It was definitely a notch above what I was used to as far as just being a nicer hotel (i often was dealing without hot water at other hotels for the same price in my previous visits). I came to learn however, to my horror, that the woman who was at least part owner of the hotel would actually regulate the females that my friend and I would bring up to the hotel room. If she were at the desk she would not allow for us to bring two girls up to the room at the same time. Nor, would she allow for one girl to be in the room with us if she knew we were both there.
On that note, one day I was actually feeling kinda sick and tired and I was laying in my bed in the hotel room. I got a call from my frend that he met two SMOKING hot young dominicanas and they wanted to come to the room. I'm feeling a lot less sick and a lot less tired at this point in anticipation of their arrival. I get another call...its my friend again saying that they are in the lobby and not only the girl that i was to meet was not allowed in because she didn't happen to have an ID....... I actually would need for that woman owner to see me leave the room in order for him and his girl to come up in the room. Well, i did it. i sat in the lobby, sick ,tired and bored off my but. I found out later that she was always talking about the bible....it figures. The green house? A nice hotel as long as you don't want any company over. BTW things were MUCH MUCH better for us when she wasn't around....so it is possible u can get lucky...but why should one have to even worry about such things?

Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

The staff were engaging and friendly always asking if everything was ok or if I needed anything. Helped arrange trip to puerta plata. I wanted to spend time in the "Old City (Colonial zone)" and the location was ideal. Day time tours and lots of night clubs nearby & on the Malecon. The room was clean and comfortable, not spectacular but good for the price. The free breakfast of fresh fruit and coffee was a nice touch.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Durham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2008

The people are friendly, but as a researcher with a minimum grasp of Spanish, I found myself in a bit of a strange situation. I would not advise anyone to eat there. The prices were arbitrary. Also, when the ac broke in my room, they never offered another room until my Dominican friend a lawyer called and told them they should. Also, I returned one night to find my door open, and subsequently found that the doors did not lock securely. My strong safe box was open, though my camera was intact. I also lost 2 shirts during my stay there. This is not a place I will return to, nor recommend to someone on an extended stay. It was a tad bizarre, and after those incidents I trusted no one, so had to be trudging around with my computer and other electronic equipment. Even the new room I was assigned a few days before I left could not really be secured.

• Liked — friendly workers or so they seemed
  • Disliked — arbitrariness, and insecure
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2007

$50 a night is the price in March 2007 for a room with 2 beds in this hotel. The location is very good in the Gazcue neighborhood. It's very quiet here, and only about 10 minutes walking to the colonial zone. Internet available in the lobby for 50 pesos per hour. Despite what their web site says, free breakfast is not included. They charge 5% extra to use a credit card. The beds are extra firm. Good water pressure and lots of hot water. Quiet air conditioning. Restaurant on premises which I didn't try. No elevator. Rooms are quieter on the side that doesn't face the parking lot. Strong box mounted to closet floor that locks with key. Cable TV. Near restaurants. The official title of the hotel (Aparta Hotel) may lead you to believe that there would be cooking facilities or something extra in your room, but no... it's not an apartment, just a normal hotel room. Everything went well until the last day, when the girl at the front desk booked us a taxi to the airport when we asked to go to the Juan Dolio beach. We were then stuck with a taxi driver who demanded more money when we were in the middle of nowhere. Just book your own taxi.

[--]

• Liked — Quiet location
  • Disliked — Price is too high for what it is
  • Stayed March 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Green House Aparta Hotel? Share your experiences!