“Great Hotel - Excellent for Small Groups” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Beaterio

You added El Beaterio to your Saves list
El Beaterio
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Duarte No. 8 | Zona Colonial, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (Zona Colonial)   |
Ranked #10 of 76 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Austin, Texas
“Great Hotel - Excellent for Small Groups”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I recently spent 5 days at El Beaterio with a small group. Let me just start off by saying what an amazing and beautiful place/location, with a very fun and helpful staff. The location is fantastic just a few blocks away from great shopping, food, and some historical sites.

I honestly did not know what to expect. I set my expectations pretty low. Traveling to a different country, a country I had never been before, and all I had was pictures on the internet. The pictures were beautiful, but we have all heard those horror stories. Showing up and the place looks nothing like the website. I was beyond pleased when I got there. The rooms & bathrooms were clean and comfortable. Even with the floors being stone, it was a little dusty but nothing that was bothersome. I just kept my flip flops on most of the time. I thought the bed and bedding was comfortable and well kept.

All of the little areas were great. The living room area in the front, the dining areas, the kitchen, the open courtyard by the rooms, and the most beautiful spot is definitely on the roof.

I will say that the breakfast in the morning is very light, more of a Continental style of breakfast. Muffins, small pancakes, cereal, fruit, and slices of ham/cheese. So if you are looking for something more substantial, you will need to go out, or cook it yourself. (They do let you use their full kitchen.)

As a group, there were 13 of us total, we had the whole place to ourselves which was fantastic. I DEFINITELY recommend if you have a group around that size this little place is perfect. It felt like our home away from home. Felt very secure, your key opened the front door or you could ring the door bell and the staff would obviously only let guests in.

Speaking of the staff, they were very helpful and pleasant. My favorite staff member, I think everyones favorite, was Felix who was there at night. They were all however helpful with getting you directions and calling transportation. They were also helpful in helping negotiate pricing. One thing I learned while there. EVERYTHING is negotiable.

Overall my experience there was beyond EXCELLENT. I would definitely stay there again, and I totally have recommended already to friends that this is the place to go to if in Santo Domingo.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Bronx, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Maria, the manager, and the staff were utterly amazing in this picturesque establishment. We organize group trips for the Nomadness Travel Tribe, and booked the entire hotel for a group of fourteen people. The staff welcomed us, allowed us to cook, and provided the freedom we needed while also being right there when we had questions. They have a great relationship with local cash exchanges (they came right to El Beaterio and did exchanges in person) as well as cabs. We used a number of cabs daily, due to our size and they were more than helpful. We even had someone leave their wallet in one of the cabs, and at 10pm at night they came back and returned the wallet, fully stocked. Great experience for intimate getaways and groups alike.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
San Antonio, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed here last week and the staff was always very helpful and kind. The courtyard is very beautiful at sunrise. If we needed public transportation the hotel would arrange and they would be there before it was time to go. Great location from shopping, money exchange, restaurants, and the grocery store. I would highly recommend this location if you are going to stay in Santo Domingo!

New Rochelle, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

The past week I spent one of the best times of my life hosted at El Beaterio. The classic historical design of the place was striking as we arrived just before sunrise. The open interior courtyard became quite the social area as we all moved between our private rooms and the main areas of the hotel. Laughs were had was the staff and the manager Maria was kind, caring and accommodating to everything my group needed or wanted. I plan on telling ANYONE with intentions of visiting Santo Domingo to stay at El Beaterio.

New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed at Hotel Beaterio for four nights and I loved everything about it. The hotel is charming and beautiful, the staff are kind and welcoming, and the simple daily breakfast is delicious. Hotel Beaterio is on a quiet street in the Zona Colonial within walking distance of many of the historical attractions. The hotel is peaceful and charming.

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floor are quieter
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Port of Spain, Trinidad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I recently stayed at El Beaterio. While the hotel is charming, and historic I think that it is the friendly and helpful staff that makes the hotel's rating move from very good to excellent. On the last day of my stay, I sprained my ankle at a museum. The staff were very helpful and caring. They changed my room from the first floor to the ground floor and moved all of my stuff to the new room as I could not walk upstairs.

When you check in they tell you that they have to ensure that the room is in order. The receptionist goes to the room and turns on the lights, AC etc (I don't want to give it all away.) A simple, but effective way to make your room welcoming when you enter for the first time.

During my stay I stayed in 3 rooms as I spent some days in other parts of the DR and then returned to Santo Domingo. Some of the rooms can be improved with small renovations. My only complaint about the rooms is that the mood lighting is not suitable for reading.

Room Tip: The rooms are on the perimeter of a courtyard as in most old spanish buildings. The upstairs rooms a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

When you ring the front doorbell of El Beaterio you are greeted by a smiling staff member who welcomes you to this quaint, historical hotel that was originally a convent. This two story guesthouse has a large sitting area and two small breakfast rooms. Rooms are off of the open-air courtyard. My room (#3) has two twin beds making forming a larger one, two chairs, a small bedside table and another table along the wall. The bathroom was tiny with a sink, toilet and small shower. Each room has a television. The breakfast was great. I recommend staying one, or maybe two nights so you can explore this area which is a World Heritage site.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to El Beaterio? Share your experiences!