“Go to the Hotel Frances” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Antiguo Hotel Europa

Save Saved
You added Antiguo Hotel Europa to your Saves list
Antiguo Hotel Europa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Arzobispo Merino 109 esq. Emillano Tejera | Zona Colonial, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (Zona Colonial)   |
Ranked #27 of 75 hotels in Santo Domingo
Middletown, New York
“Go to the Hotel Frances”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Spend a few extra dollars and go to the Hotel Frances down the street. The hotel was ok in the lobby area but the room I was in was not well kept and the bed mattress and pillows were old and had a little odor to them. I would best describe the room as having the feel of being in a hostel type quality hotel. Now let's talk about the breakfast, the flys use the uncovered food items as landing strips. That's if there was food for them to land on. This place needs some work.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

110 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Millburn, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

I enjoyed my 3 day stay there. It has everything a vacationer needs. The room was clean, with AC,Wifi, TV, Bathroom was very small but very clean. staff was helpful and breakfast was quite acceptable.
It even has an elevator.

Great value for the money and it is located only 3 blocks from Calle Conde. I will stay there again.

Room Tip: no gym, no pool
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

Very reasonable price for a hotel in a great location.
Unfortunately there where quit a few hustlers, be prepared to "pay" for parking so your car won't scratched, and we got offered any woman we liked.
The rooms and breakfast were fine. Breakfast was served on a beautiful terrace.
Wifi was free, a very nice break for the usual practice in Santa Domingo.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

Good location (2 minutes from the Plaza de España and not far from the Cathedral and dozens of restaurants) and a really nice old building. The old tiles on the floor are authentic but seem to be difficult to clean, which gives some of the rooms a run-down appearance. Some rooms don't have any windows at all - others look onto the street, and others have a high window onto the interior patio, which allows some light. The acoustics in the hotel aren't great, so one often hears noises from other rooms as well as from the street. The standard rooms are quite small for 2 people - the superior rooms are much larger and have newer floors.
Breakfast is generous - served on the rooftop terrace, 7:00 - 10:30 am. Airport pickup and dropoff can be arranged ($43 right now).

Room Tip: The standard rooms are rather small; the superior ones are much larger. Check to see whether your ro...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
valdosta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

I enjoyed the hotel. We were treated and given great service. The rooms were clean and the beds were nice. We had a problem with the toilet, we called the front desk and someone came within 5 minutes to service it. That was stupendous!!!

The only complaint that I have is when we checked in the front desk did not seem to know the company thru whom I made the reservation. So they still took my credit card to hold the room until they could find out. The next day when I went down, they still hadn't found out, so I had to call and talk to the reservation booking representative. The front desk clerk was not happy that I was using their phone to make the inquiry. But what else was I supposed to do if I didn't want to be charged again? The representative with the booking company was very nice and even called me back to make sure that I was taken care of.

Thanks for your help and having a representative who does her job and doesn't leave the clients hanging out to dry.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

Stayed in Europa Hotel in Feb 2012. The hotel is located in the north part of the Zona Colonial. A good location, but did not enjoy my stay that much. A bit overpriced for the room and service value you get in return.

The hotel looks great on the outside. The lobby is also very spacious and bright. However the check-in was not that smooth. The process took almost an hour. They seem to be completely disorganized. Everything went well, but not smoothly. At first, they easily found my reservation, made a copy of my passport and gave me the key to my room. This first part went quick and I was in my room in 15 minutes or so.

Once in my room, I wanted to put my valuables in the safe, but couldn't get it to open. Went back downstairs, and ahhh ... yes, the safe sir: Well, you need to have a key. That's good to know. Sorry about that. However, you have to give us a $10 USD deposit to have one. Back to the room, got $10, made all the paperwork (15 min) to get that small key, back to the room. The safe doesn't open. Back downstairs. We will send you someone sir. Back up and waited a short while. A guy shows up, and explains the whole process. Quite complicated.

Took my shoes off and started unpacking. After a while I noticed that the white socks I was wearing turned black (not dirty, but black) after 10 minutes. Looked at the floor, it was really filthy. Hair all over, and still the stinky socks of the previous customer. I wondered when they have cleaned that room the last time. Went to out and kindly asked the cleaning lady present in the corridor to clean my room. She didn't seem to understand what I was talking about. But that was ok. Dressed up to got out for a quick bite, Back to the lobby, explained the situation. The room got cleaned by the time I was back.

After a short stay in the room, I have noticed that the toilet is constantly refilling due to a continuous leakage of water. Reported the problem. They sent a plumber to fix it. I have explained to him the problem in details. He listen attentively and started working. I though he was fixing it. Well, 15 minutes later, he called and told me what was wrong with the toilet. That it was leaking. Man, it was a hopeless case. Well, it didn't bother me. I just closed the door. A day later, they didn't manage to fix it. The hotel proposed to change my room.

But anyway, I was more roaming the streets that staying in my room. But all and all, I didn't enjoy my stay that much. Let's not talk about breakfast. The menu is simple: As drinks you have 3 kind of drinks: orange juice, pineapple juice and milk. Coffee and tea of course. As food you have 3 kinds of fruits: pineapple, water melon and papaya. Eggs, bread and Plantain. That's it.

Hope this helps.

Dr. MAK

Room Tip: The rooms are all too small and really outdated.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Been to Antiguo Hotel Europa? Share your experiences!