“"Easy to book " who?” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Antiguo Hotel Europa

You added Antiguo Hotel Europa to your Saves list
Antiguo Hotel Europa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Arzobispo Merino 109 esq. Emillano Tejera | Zona Colonial, Santo Domingo 10210, Dominican Republic (Zona Colonial)   |
Ranked #33 of 76 Hotels in Santo Domingo
valdosta, GA
“"Easy to book " who?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

I enjoyed the hotel. We were treated and given great service. The rooms were clean and the beds were nice. We had a problem with the toilet, we called the front desk and someone came within 5 minutes to service it. That was stupendous!!!

The only complaint that I have is when we checked in the front desk did not seem to know the company thru whom I made the reservation. So they still took my credit card to hold the room until they could find out. The next day when I went down, they still hadn't found out, so I had to call and talk to the reservation booking representative. The front desk clerk was not happy that I was using their phone to make the inquiry. But what else was I supposed to do if I didn't want to be charged again? The representative with the booking company was very nice and even called me back to make sure that I was taken care of.

Thanks for your help and having a representative who does her job and doesn't leave the clients hanging out to dry.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

Stayed in Europa Hotel in Feb 2012. The hotel is located in the north part of the Zona Colonial. A good location, but did not enjoy my stay that much. A bit overpriced for the room and service value you get in return.

The hotel looks great on the outside. The lobby is also very spacious and bright. However the check-in was not that smooth. The process took almost an hour. They seem to be completely disorganized. Everything went well, but not smoothly. At first, they easily found my reservation, made a copy of my passport and gave me the key to my room. This first part went quick and I was in my room in 15 minutes or so.

Once in my room, I wanted to put my valuables in the safe, but couldn't get it to open. Went back downstairs, and ahhh ... yes, the safe sir: Well, you need to have a key. That's good to know. Sorry about that. However, you have to give us a $10 USD deposit to have one. Back to the room, got $10, made all the paperwork (15 min) to get that small key, back to the room. The safe doesn't open. Back downstairs. We will send you someone sir. Back up and waited a short while. A guy shows up, and explains the whole process. Quite complicated.

Took my shoes off and started unpacking. After a while I noticed that the white socks I was wearing turned black (not dirty, but black) after 10 minutes. Looked at the floor, it was really filthy. Hair all over, and still the stinky socks of the previous customer. I wondered when they have cleaned that room the last time. Went to out and kindly asked the cleaning lady present in the corridor to clean my room. She didn't seem to understand what I was talking about. But that was ok. Dressed up to got out for a quick bite, Back to the lobby, explained the situation. The room got cleaned by the time I was back.

After a short stay in the room, I have noticed that the toilet is constantly refilling due to a continuous leakage of water. Reported the problem. They sent a plumber to fix it. I have explained to him the problem in details. He listen attentively and started working. I though he was fixing it. Well, 15 minutes later, he called and told me what was wrong with the toilet. That it was leaking. Man, it was a hopeless case. Well, it didn't bother me. I just closed the door. A day later, they didn't manage to fix it. The hotel proposed to change my room.

But anyway, I was more roaming the streets that staying in my room. But all and all, I didn't enjoy my stay that much. Let's not talk about breakfast. The menu is simple: As drinks you have 3 kind of drinks: orange juice, pineapple juice and milk. Coffee and tea of course. As food you have 3 kinds of fruits: pineapple, water melon and papaya. Eggs, bread and Plantain. That's it.

Hope this helps.

Dr. MAK

Room Tip: The rooms are all too small and really outdated.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

Super staff. Friendly, helpful. Played with kid, answered questions, just good. Excellent terrace for breakfast. Choice of bf a bit narrow. Room was tiny, no window, noisy aircon. Bathroom a bit spartanic, not even a shelf to put toothbrush or so. Overall, a bit overpriced for what you get. Cant compare to other SD hotels, though.

• Stayed February 2012
Fort Lauderdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

This was a great find. Friendly and helpful staff. Room was very clean adequate size. Location was very close to the Condor. Breakfast included was a bonus. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: maybe stay in the interior room to deter the noisy streets.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Clara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

The location was good, within walking distance of museums, restaurants, and the Catedral. The front-desk staff were very friendly and helpful. The included breakfast on the roof was good.

The room was noisy, due to street noise. The door to the balcony left small gaps even when it was closed, so it failed to block out the street noise. On our first night, there was a free outdoor concert two blocks from the hotel. We were able to enjoy the music from our room, but we couldn't even think of going to sleep until the concert was over.

The wi-fi in the room did not work, since the router on our floor was broken, but the free wi-fi in the lobby worked well.

Room Tip: The rooms with balconies have nice views, but are noisy, due to street noise. An interior room might...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

Perfect place for a short stay, quaint, balconies overlook the colonial streets, good value. Breakfast quite good on the rooftop!

• Stayed February 2012
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

The Europa has become our favorite hotel in Santo Domingo for many many reasons. The location is excellent. You are a few steps away from all the colonial zone and all it has to offer for you history buffs and shopping for you who love to shop. The restaurants are many to choose from and the location is very safe.
On Sunday nights they have a 14 piece band that plays outside of the one of the old ruins all lite up, awesome and free to the public.
The hotel itself is older but in excellent shape. The rooms are small but clean very clean, with a large TV/cable. WiFi is free and can be picked up in some rooms but all thru out the hotel.
The breakfast is good. fresh fruit, toast eggs and pancakes.
The best part of this hotel are the staff members. Starting with the warm welcome when you arrive at the front desk/ Eduviges, she always has a smile. Priscilla who is part of the managment team will do all she can do if you are ever in need. The guys who work all areas of the hotel are very helpful, from waving down a taxi, serving you coffee when requested and always willing to help you with information.
Great bar if you like to sitand enjoy some music and a cold beer. Most comfortable beds.
Would recommend to any of my family or friends and will be going back again in a couple of weeks. Enjoy your time there! We always do...

Room Tip: When we have stayed there our favorite rooms are 315, 215 large and quiet.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Antiguo Hotel Europa? Share your experiences!