“Comfortable and enough” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Antiguo Hotel Europa

Save Saved
You added Antiguo Hotel Europa to your Saves list
Antiguo Hotel Europa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Arzobispo Merino 109 esq. Emillano Tejera | Zona Colonial, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (Zona Colonial)   |
Ranked #27 of 74 hotels in Santo Domingo
Fremont, California
“Comfortable and enough”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

You get value for money here. The outside is gorgeous, the lobby very hip and modern, the location is fantastic. You can easily walk to the main shopping street in Zona Colonial and it's restaurants, Plaza Espana it's one block away (where the best and most romantic restaurants are). However, the rooms are basic. It's kind of you entered one hotel and end up sleeping at a different one. Don't get me wrong, the bed is okay and the bathroom is clean, and that is all you need, but you kind of get carried away when you are checking in and the rooms don't follow what you see downstairs.
They put us in a room that had no windows, but one phone call to the front desk and we got a nicer room with a balcony. Service is good. Breakfast is decent: juices, coffee, tea, some fruit, bread, ham, cheese, butter and eggs with sausage.
One piece of advice though: the room with the balcony is very noisy. The street is kind of busy and some dominicans like to honk the horn when getting to an intersection at night.You get used to, and after a long day of sight seeing and some fantastic dinner, you fall asleep pretty fast anyway.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

110 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

I liked the hotel very much. my wife and I epent a couple days there because we wanted to see the colonial city at our best and so we did. I am Dominican and I never walked around the city as I did this time. The hotel is in the center of it all. restaurans, coffe shops, and a lot of sightseeings. Employees are very polite and helpful. I forgot a very expensive linen jacket, and I was ableto retrieve it after a month. They are honest.

Room Tip: Room # 210 has a nice view
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

The room has a bit of a cat urine smell when I first walked in , maybe it was the cleaning products they use and the room being stuffy since it was closed. The price is not bad, but it should be cheaper since they don't really have great service.
The room was not done the next day, they didn't even give me new towels. Again, I guess thats all to be expect due to the rate (price $85 p/n) it was. The breakfast was ok, nothing out of the ordinary. What I did like was that it had a little balcony and eventhough I was only on the 3rd floor , I could see somewhat the Plaza España to my left and the street view to the right and below. I will mention that the corner there is extremely noisy, but that really didn´t affect me since I snore like a bear, lol
The only reason why I would recomend this hotel is if you wanna be infront of the restaurants of the plaza and close to the Atarazana street.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

I chose this hotel because it was reasonably priced, included a buffet breakfast and had an elevator which is rare in most of the older buildings in Santo Domingo. I arranged with the hotel for an airport pick-up and was met by hotel employee Bernardo who not only picks up and drops off people at the airport but also works in the hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful and took a great interest in the fact that I was going to give a birthday party for three sponsored children and their fifteen guests.

The room was large and airy but the window was too high up to be able to see out. I had asked for a very quiet, non-smoking room with air conditioning and a fridge and all were provided. At first the room was very sparsely decorated and as I was to be there for 8 days I asked if I could have a small table and a chair which were provided immediately.

The buffet breakfast is served on the fourth floor terrace, with a view of the San Francisco church ruins and is adequate but is the same each day;, scrambled eggs and ham, bagels, toast, cold ham and cheese, fresh fruit and juices, yoghourt and small cookies plus delicious coffee or tea. They also have a limited but reasonably priced menu. The first night I was the only person in the restaurant as the weather was stormy so later I had an evening meal delivered to my room which was a treat and saved going out to look for a restaurant after a tiring day of sightseeing or bad weather.

Its location is in a quieter area but only about two/three blocks from the Columbus Square where there are several restaurants around the square and along the pedestrian friendly El Conde shopping area. In another direction it is only two blocks from the Plaze d'Espania where the Columbus House is located and where there are more restaurants.

I would definitely stay there again if only because of the friendly and warm staff but a word of warning - even local telephone calls are expensive made from the hotel and my restaurant bill was padded with a nightly drink which I did not order or receive.

The location

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
St. Domingo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

The lobby looks much more impressive than the rooms, which are no-thrill, small, but ok for a few nights. Positive: you have WiFi internet in all rooms. Average quality breakfast is served on a terrace on the top of the building, with a very nice view. Negative: the Arzobispo Meriño side gets lots of traffic noise, day n night, so better get a room on a higher floor. On the Emillano Tejera side traffic noise is a bit less, but you get live merengue music every morning from "la casa de los dulces" ... if you like it, a great way to wake up :)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Miami Beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

For the price its not bad, but don't expect anywhere near a five or even four star hotel.

Lobby looked very modern. Bellman carried bags to my room. Lots of blacklights in the halls and in the elevator. The first room I was shown looked almost like a jail cell with no bars... a dark, small room with two tiny windows and two beds. I was with my girl... why would they give me a room with two beds? After asking for something nicer with one bed, I was given a room with a balcony and a queen bed, at no extra charge. It had more light, but was still small. Bed comfort was under average. Bathroom had some issues... mold on shower curtain, some broken shower tiles. But again, for the price I'm willing to overlook some things. You shouldn't be spending much time in your room anyways while you are on vacation.

Based on the two previous reviews I was hoping to find a hidden gem in this place. It didn't happen :(

People working here were extremely helpful.

Location was at the end of the Colonial Zone near the Fransican Ruins. It was about a 5 minute walk to El Conde Calle, where most of the bars and restaurants are.

If given another opportunity I'd rather have spent the extra money and got a little nicer room at another hotel, but again, for the price, this place wasn't horrible.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Maine USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

I found this hotel to be great value for the money. A full breakfast was included. The staff could not have been friendlier and great concern regarding security and safety. I will stay there again in a couple of months when I return to Santo Domingo.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo

Been to Antiguo Hotel Europa? Share your experiences!