“Decent hotel - do not recommend restaurant” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Santo Domingo

Save Saved
You added Hilton Santo Domingo to your Saves list
Hilton Santo Domingo
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ave George Washington, No 500, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
$89 (USD)
Ranked #15 of 76 hotels in Santo Domingo
Palatine, Illinois
“Decent hotel - do not recommend restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed here October 2012, right when Sandy hit the island. Despite a hurricane raging through the area, and the streets under a few feet of water just outside the door, I never felt any concern at the hotel. The hotel's restaurants have odd hours, and when we arrived there very hungry around 3pm, we were told there was no food that could be served to us until 5pm, ergo we waited in the bar, relaxing from the long flight in.

We ate at the hotel several nights simply due to the hurricane and I cannot recommend the food. The steak I had was tough, and the cost for everything was far too high. My fellow traveler didn't believe the steak was that bad, ordered it the following night, and concurred. The breakfast buffet was overpriced for the variety, and there were frequently seating issues. I could not usually find a waiter to help during the breakfast buffet, however several staff were usually hanging around the cashier area talking. Asking them anything would have them tell me they would see if they could find someone to help but never doing anything. Dinner seating had similar waitstaff issues.

My room was very clean, and the wifi was rock solid, which I did not expect. I also found it to be comfortable and enjoyed the view. I had an issue with my bill, in that I felt that I had been overcharged, and I recieved a personal email from the manager breaking down the reasons for my charges that satisfied me. My company should have taken advantage of a different booking, but that was not the hotel's issue.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HiltonSantoDomingo, Manager at Hilton Santo Domingo, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Thank you for your comments on Hilton Santo Domingo; we are glad you fell secure at our hotel during your stay.

We'd like to comment that we offer 24 hours room service for a future occasion where our restaurant is not operating; we are also pleased to let you know that we have made changes in our menu which will surely be of you liking.

Please contact me if there is anything I can assist you with on a future stay in Santo Domingo.

540 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Miramar, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Beautiful location with great views to the ocean from ocean rooms. This is my hotel of choice when on Santo Domingo for business. Good location, traffic can be hectic, depending the time of the day, but is all over the capital. Friendly staff from the moment you enter the hotel to the staff at the executive floor. Rooms are very clean as well as the surroundings of the hotel.
As a Gold Hilton Member, was upgraded to higher floor and was able to use the executive floor facilities, good view and excellent atmosphere, but food is not the best.
Overall, great hotel with friendly staff and good facilities.

Room Tip: High floors are the best with ocean view and away from elevators!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
We sincerely appreciate that you have taken the time to review your stay in our hotel. We are happy to know about your preference to our brand, and also that you have enjoyed your stay.

We also thank you for the constructive comment; please rest assured we'll take action.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Cordially,
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Great views of the ocean from ocean front rooms (though the putside windows are in sure need of cleaning). I was created with kindness and efficiency, as well as checked in quickly (early I might add). My room was very clean as well as the bathroom.

The location isn't a "tourist spot", as the beach is not truly usable, and you will need a can to go about anywhere (except to eat next door at Tony Romas).

But the hotel staff, room, Executive lounge, etc are very well kept and maintained.

I am afraid the couple of poor reviews on here were from people that would be impossible to please regardless of the hotel or the staff. Being a Diamond VIP and traveling the USA and 5 Countries for work, I've never had a problem with anyone when I treat them with respect.

• Stayed March 2013
HiltonSantoDomingo, Manager at Hilton Santo Domingo, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you so much for reviewing your stay at our hotel. We are extremely pleased to know that you have enjoyed the true Hilton hospitality. We strive to make all our guest feel at home, therefore we are very glad to know you fell welcomed by our team members, and that you were pleased with the efficiency of our check in process, room cleanliness, and overall maintenance.

Our hotel is the the tallest hotel on the island and offers amazing views of the blue Caribbean Sea; swimming and beach activities nearby the hotel are not recommended since this area is not suited for these purposes.

We appreciate your comments, and the preference to our brand. We remain at your service if there is anything we can assist you with on a future stay in Santo Domingo.

Hoboken, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

The hotel was a great Hilton business style hotel. It is well appointed, and the rooms are very clean. My only few complaints were that the internet was very slow and that when I arrived they did not have toilet paper in my room. I went down and asked and they still did not place the toilet paper in the room. I had to call a second time before anyone finally responded and they just drop off two rolls. Otherwise the staff was attentive, and the food was nice at the restaurant as well.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
HiltonSantoDomingo, Manager at Hilton Santo Domingo, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. Our team is pleased to know that you enjoyed the cleanliness of our rooms, the helpfulness of our team members, food and restaurant service.

We thank your for letting us know about the quality of the internet connection, and the toilet paper situation.

Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Decent stay, as this is my hotel of choice when on business in the DR. Don't know why but even as a long standing Diamond, I have only been able to snag a room on the executive floor once in 2 years. The food is mediocre and although the wait staff is very friendly, they are easily distracted and without active supervision. Coffee was delicious, but was not always served hot. Scrambled eggs cold. Get an omelette to order is the best bet. Long wait to check in but easy check out. Get a corner ocean view room. Don't drink the water.

• Stayed March 2013
We thank you for your preference to our hotel, and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We are glad to know you are Diamond member, and it's always a pleasure for us to deliver the Hilton Honors benefits to all our members; however, as advised by the Hilton Honors program, upgrades are granted upon availability, and we are sorry that due to our occupancy this benefit was not received as much as you'd wish.

We also thank your for the constructive comments regarding our food service, and we agree on strictly recommending to our guest to refrain from drinking tap water.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

The staff was very helpful and the hotel was beautiful. However, I can't say much good about a place where I'm told not to walk across the street to eat for fear of muggings. I'm not a timid person, but after about 80 warnings I figured there may be something to this. The Hilton is a very nice, modern hotel. I assume it's in a prime location. However, I'm not quite sure what was prime about it. That may relate to Santo Domingo in general. If you're going to Santo Domingo, I'd recommend staying here. The rooms, staff and facilities were all fine. Do not expect this to be a Dominican beach vacation, though (not that we expected this, but we were surprised a bit by the lack of a beach).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
We are delighted to know that you enjoyed our facility, our team member's helpfulness, and that you had a good overall experience.

Santo Domingo is in general a safe city, and we usually advise our guests to take any precaution they normally would in an unknown city.

We thank you once more for your preference.

Cordially,
Greenwich, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

1. First arrived and taxi driver from airport to Hotel said "Do not go out at night - dangerous"
2. OK - 3 restaurants in hotel - oops - two of them are closed.
3. OK - order room service and watch TV in evenings - oops - TV stations in Spanish and no movies in room.
4. OK - Go to casino in hotel in evenings - oops - casino closed.
5. OK - go to beach (specifically asked Expedia if beach across street - 'Yes.' during day and to bed early. Oops - beach 45 minutes away by cab and $50.00 entry fee per person to beach (advised by front desk)
6. OK - lay by pool during day. Oops - sun blocked by hotel until 2:30 in afternoon AND - oops - only 10 lounge chairs - must get up early to get one.
7. OK - swim in pool - oops - only 4 feet deep at its deepest.
8. Sit around and write things wrong with this 5 day vacation - 18 problems - but sit and laugh about a very bad vacation

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
HiltonSantoDomingo, Manager at Hilton Santo Domingo, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for choosing our hotel and for sharing your experience. We are really sorry about the inconvenient during your stay. We are basically a city hotel, however we strive to make each guest feel at home so we are really sorry to read your review. We'd like to comment that we have never had more than one restaurant, our cable listings does offer English channels and it is possible to change the audio when the channel allows it, our casino has been closed for a few years now, and we are also quite clear to our guests on being a hotel that faces the Caribbean sea, not a beach so there might have been a communication issue with the third party agent that help with the booking and, of course, we are terribly sorry this come to hurt the satisfaction with our hotel.

Indhira Pérez Mendoza | Manager – Quality

Been to Hilton Santo Domingo? Share your experiences!