“Room Security Breach” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Santo Domingo

You added Hilton Santo Domingo to your Saves list
Hilton Santo Domingo
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ave George Washington, No 500, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Night + Hotel Credit
Ranked #15 of 76 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Oakton
“Room Security Breach”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Recent stay at this hotel - there was a breach of security in my room and the security staff were more interested in me paying my bill than addressing the issue of the security exposure. My room door was left ajar and I have no idea since I had left the hotel 10 hours prior how long the room was open. The door was securely closed when I left so not sure what happened except it was ajar when I arrived back.

There was absolutely no courtesy or empathy for my situation by their security team and when I contacted the front desk after 2 hours of waiting to hear back about the results of their investigation, I was told to wait until the next day when I checked out and they would let me know then.

Obvious cover up for their personnel and I knew there was not any intention to handle this paricularly since I was checking out the following day.

Room Tip: This is a noisy location. You would need a room on the back of the building due to non stop traffic...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HiltonSantoDomingo, Manager at Hilton Santo Domingo, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience in our hotel; your opinion is valuable for us. I am sorry we did not meet the standards you expected when staying at Hilton Santo Domingo; we'll take into consideration your comments in order to make improvements.

If there is anything I can assist you with on a future stay in Santo Domingo, please contact me.

Indhira Pérez Mendoza | Manager – Quality

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

This hotel needs either better training or a change in leadership.  Just came off of a two night stay in the most expensive suite in the Santo Domingo Hilton; between food, calls and room, the bill was more than $1000. My stay, however, was completely soured upon checkout when i noticed that they charged an extra guest fee for my girlfriend.  When i showed them that my reservation was indeed for two guests and that I was issued two keys and that i had already PAID for the extra guest surcharge (however ridiculous this sounds) in my original billing, the manager on duty refused to acknowledge the payment and insisted that my girlfriend be present at time of checkin.  Inability to be physically present at checkin rendered this payment, approx $80, utterly useless.

Follow me here, having prepaid the guest fee for 2 nights and now on the verge of having to pay a third fee on my 2 night reservation, what made my situation more preposturous was that my girfriend arrived a day late and therefore she only stayed one night with me.  So one could make the case that this brilliant manager should be crediting me with a guest fee not charging me for the third time.

She duly explained that this illogical and predatory policy is stated in fine print that i summarily signed upon my checkin, and with a smug smile on her face shooed me away.  One can normally encounter this type of obtuse management from properties that aspire to less.  Hotels that no matter what the cost, will endanger the possibility of future business to make a quick and in this case unjust buck.  But this is supposedly a five star hotel, with business clientle dropping a grand for a couple nights; one does not expect to get "worked".  If there truly is someone that runs this property with some hospitality background, it would make sense to move this "manager", i believe her name is wanda, to a position that better suits her abilities.  She has no concept of customer service.

Maybe Wanda could be a taxi dispatcher, where narrowmindedness and pedantic adherence to stupid policy may actually be of some use.  But please NOT manager of  a property.  When her own front desk employees roll their eyes at her conduct, its time to make a change.  Criteria is the essence of being a manager.

The result is Wanda won.  No matter how much i tried to convince her that i was being twice charged, she truly wanted to hear nothing of it.   I had to catch my flight, and wanda got to charge me $40 more.  Good work Wanda!

I have worked for many years in Marriott and this type of behavior i am lucky to say is the exception in this age of enlightened customer service.
My recommendation -  fix this immediately.  And if this commentary just so happens to end up in the right people's hands, someone may want to think about reimbolsing my card for $40.

I rarely write reviews because i dont like to cause problems, but this incident was so agregious, Wanda it seemed, actually took pleasure in engaging in a practice that obviously upset one of her hotel's clients.  And that my friends has no solution.  Its very difficult to retrain that instinct.

Will never stay in this property again, i advise fellow travelors to check out the executive suites at the embajador (7th and 8th floor)  Nice rooms and excellent customer service.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
HiltonSantoDomingo, Manager at Hilton Santo Domingo, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you for your comments and input regarding your stay at Hilton Santo Domingo. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced and would like to take this opportunity to clarify the policy, which is prominently displayed on our website and front desk.

By law, all hotels in the Dominican Republic must keep a register of all guests. Article 541, Chapter 6 of the Tourism Law of the Dominican Republic states, “All hotels must keep a register with a name and address of each guest as well as other identification data. Such form must be signed by the guest.” In an effort to preserve the safety and security of our guests, we strictly enforce this law with any individual visiting a guest room. As a consequence of this law, a multiple occupancy supplement is assessed for additional guests visiting a guest room, as would be the case if the guest registered at the time of check-in. Please note that there is no fee applied for visits throughout our public areas and guests are always welcome to use our public facilities at no charge.

I deeply regret any misunderstanding of the policy and can assure you its intention is never to disrespect our guests.

Cordially,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Was met by a very helpful staff, easy check in. The food in restaurant was good and the staff very good.
Pool minor problem with cleaning.
Nice room with stunning sea view. The cleaning of the rooms could be better

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
HiltonSantoDomingo, Manager at Hilton Santo Domingo, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Thank you for your preference to our brand and for your review. It pleases us to know that you have liked our team members helpfulness, restaurant services, and our definitely stunning view.

We also thank you for pointing out areas of improvement such as room and pool cleanliness.

We look forward to welcoming you in our hotel.

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

My first trip to republica Dominica. The hotel has all the amenities and features of a five star hotel, very nice view, large lobby, etc. BUT

Service albeit very friendly sometimes it was slow or distracted. Location not very convenient if you want to walk or run. Although the front water area is inviting to run, to cross the road seems dangerous. The road is very busy, smell of gasoline and diesel and noisy with all the honking

Food was ok,

Did not try to pool, only visited the area and it looked not very inviting.

As I said, it has all the features of a nice hotel but somehow I am left with not the best impression.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Our team members sincerely appreciate the feedback on your stay at our hotel. We value your opinion, and thank you for providing us with ways to improve our services.

We are glad you enjoyed our amenities and features, and we thank you for the comments that leave us room for improvement.

We thank you for your preference, and hope to welcome you again.

St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Clean and modern. The staff were all super friendly and helpful. We stayed on the executive level with free breakfast . Great place! My husband had left his phone on the plane and the staff made a call to our cell company to discontinue service while we were gone,.

Room Tip: We were 18 floors up and heard no street noise even though the hotel is on a very busy street.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
HiltonSantoDomingo, Manager at Hilton Santo Domingo, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the comment your experience in our hotel. We thank you for the high ratings received. We are greatly pleased to know that you have experienced the true Hilton hospitality.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed here for the 3rd time in 3 years, and this stay was by far the best. As a hhonors diamond member, I was upgraded to a suite, a great room, with a view of the Caribbean.

All of the staff, without exception were great, without doubt the hotel's best asset, polite in the extreme,considerate, and with a permanent GENUINE smile. Perfect.

Food and drink options were good, breakfast in the Sol y Sombra restaraunt had a great selection, hot, cold, sweet or savoury, and a healthy option corner. 1st rate.

The lounge on the 20th floor was the only disappontment, food and drink selections were light, BUT this is the norm for Hiltons in this region, and it stops people freeloading on the snacks instead of buying a meal, so thats a good thing in my opinion, I hate to see greedy people piling plate after plate of free food and drink.

After this stay, I wouldn't go anywhere else, this is a great Hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
HiltonSantoDomingo, Manager at Hilton Santo Domingo, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
We thank you for sharing your experience in our hotel. It is a great pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed the Hilton Honors benefits, our restaurant Sol y Sombra, and the exceptional service and helpfulness of all our team members.

We are sorry that the executive lounge did not meet the standards you expected; however, as you correctly state, the food and drink services to be offered are breakfast and snacks.

We are happy you enjoyed the true Hilton Hospitality, and we hope to welcome you soon.

Miami, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

"If you like small claustrophobic rooms, terrible service and a hotel far away from the tourist area, then enjoy this property!

This is my review of the Hilton Santo Domingo for my stay on January 18-20, 2013
Hilton Santo Domingo
George Washington Avenue, #500
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic 10104

I am a Hilton Diamond member and I booked my reservation online at Hilton.com two weeks prior to my arrival. I reserved "1 King Exec. Floor Oceanview" under the "ANY WEEKEND ANYWHERE" rate of $84.15 (with taxes it came to $107.71 per night).

Rate per night: 84.15 USD
Total for Stay per Room:
Rate 168.30 USD
Taxes 47.12 USD
Total 215.42 USD
Total for Stay: 215.42 USD

Part of being a Diamond member, I am eligible for a "Space available Room Upgrade"

CHECKING IN NO UPGRADE
The check-in for elite members is a bit different than other properties, you go to a side desk where you sit down (like youre at a principals office) and they check you in. Staff that check in elite members are called "Journey Managers". So my Journey Manager, Oscar, checked me in. He told me I had been 'upgraded' to the Executive Floor Oceanview. I told him that is what I booked. He insisted it was an upgrade. I asked if he had any Corner Rooms or Junior Suites (I had checked availability before I arrived at the hotel and the website showed they were both available). He told me no. The hotel was pretty empty (I was the only one checking in and the lobby was empty).

OVERCHARGED
My room was already pre-paid (the hotel had authorized and then charged my credit card several days before my arrival for $219.43. Then they also took another charge of $218.61. Oscar wanted to run my card for the room and incidentals, I told him no, you already had over $400 authorized, which should be more than enough for a two night $85/night stay. He wanted to authorize another $250.00 for two nights (their calculation is they want to take three times the rate per night of the entire stay). I thought this was odd. I told him I would only allow him to take $125 more for 'incidentals' and no more. So now they have over $560 of charges and authorizations on my credit card for a two night $85/night stay.

SMALL ROOM
I head to my room. When I get there I am shocked - Its a small "oceanfront" room with one small window. Its very claustrophobic in this room. I call downstairs and ask to speak with a manager, I explain to each person that I wanted a different room, that the room was too claustrophobic; I am transferred and bumped around before finally being told a manager will call me back shortly to fix my situation.

TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE
Fifteen minutes go by, then thirty minutes and still no call back, so I call once again, I speak with again a variety of people, all who explain nothing and say the manager or anyone else is not available to assist me.
Getting nowhere, I ask to be transferred to the Hilton Honors desk, they tell me I would have to call it directly from my room and he gives me a local number for it. Whats funny is he gives me the local number and then after reading the number and confirming it with me, tells me that perhaps I would prefer the Diamond Hilton Honors help desk instead (he should of offered this in the first place). I take the number, call and speak with Veronica at the Diamond Help Desk. I explain my situation, she takes all my details and says that she will call the hotel and see what she can do without making any commitments; I'm placed on hold for about twelve minutes before getting disconnected.

Wonderful, there's another twelve min of my vacation gone. So I waited another fifteen minutes for her to call me back (she had my room number and personal details) or a manager or someone, still nothing. So I head downstairs, at this point I'm ready to go to another property (there are two Marriott properties nearby I can go to). I spent already an hour and half and havent enjoyed Santo Domingo yet! I speak with Oscar again downstairs; he says that he spoke with Vernoica and that he will upgrade me to a Junior Suite on the 11th floor, a non-executive lower floor (the room I was in was on 19). Now it seems we have progress, why couldn't I have been upgraded in the first place?

Oscar calls the bellman over, and says that I will be switching rooms from 19th floor to the 11th floor, the bellman says "oh no" out loud and the Oscar gives him a weird look. What am I missing here?
Bellman takes me up to my old room to get my stuff, he encourages me to "see" the 11th floor before I move, I said I was over this situation and just wanted to get it done. Then I realized that Oscar had taken my key to the old room ,so had to go back downstairs to get another key to get my stuff out of the old room (why Oscar couldn't of let me keep the key to get my stuff out?!)

WATER IN FRONT OF DOOR!
Arriving on the 11th floor the room is next to the ice machine, they have towels on the floor and a Watch your Step sign not to slip and fall, the ice machine was leaking - right in front of my door.
Finally in the junior suite - it was bigger, but had no view! It had a view of the building next door (see the pix) OMG! What kind of upgrade is this? I go back online and check the website to see what is available, and sure enough, they have corner rooms, junior suites and more available. The Junior suits and rooms they show all have big windows with ocean view rooms, not rooms where the building next door is within thirty feet!

Whatever, I said let me just drop my things and head out of this hotel. On my way leaving the hotel to see the city, I see Oscar and tell him that I am not happy with the room and the reasons why. I ask
that he fulfill their promise, they have signs posted at his desk that say "satisfaction guarantee", I told him I was not happy and I would be back in a few hours and to please have something done.

Upon my return to the hotel, I speak with Oscar again (again the hotel is empty, no one around) and I asked what he had done for me, his reply nothing sir. At that point I decided I would be staying one night only, I tell him and ask that he refund my second night, he told me I would have to call Hilton Honors for the refund since I was already charged for the second night.

So the next day I leave the hotel after one horrible night.

I won't be going back there again!

CHARGED $40USD TO CALL HILTON DIAMOND DESK!
Oh yeah, here is one of the best parts! When I checked out the next day, I was charged nearly $40 (Charged $1,606 pescos $39.59 Usd) for calling that local number for the Hilton Honors Diamond Desk! I asked that they remove the charge, but I was told that they could not.

Wonderful!

On the bright side, they are converting a nearby hotel to a Sheraton!!

UPDATE: The hotel has offered to refund my telephone call to Hilton Honors & to refund the night I didn't stay. I still advise you to NOT stay at this property unless you want HEADACHES!

Room Tip: Get a room higher than 14th floor OR your view will most likely be blocked by residential buildings...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing your experience in our hotel: your opinion is valuable for us.We are sorry your stay at our hotel was not satisfactory. Please accept our sincere apologies about the inconveniences during your stay; we'll take your comments into serious consideration.

Thank you for the preference to our brand.