“A very pleassant and helpful staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Santo Domingo

You added Hilton Santo Domingo to your Saves list
Hilton Santo Domingo
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ave George Washington, No 500, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #15 of 76 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“A very pleassant and helpful staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Was met by a very helpful staff, easy check in. The food in restaurant was good and the staff very good.
Pool minor problem with cleaning.
Nice room with stunning sea view. The cleaning of the rooms could be better

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
HiltonSantoDomingo, Manager at Hilton Santo Domingo, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Thank you for your preference to our brand and for your review. It pleases us to know that you have liked our team members helpfulness, restaurant services, and our definitely stunning view.

We also thank you for pointing out areas of improvement such as room and pool cleanliness.

We look forward to welcoming you in our hotel.

Indhira Pérez Mendoza | Manager – Quality

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

My first trip to republica Dominica. The hotel has all the amenities and features of a five star hotel, very nice view, large lobby, etc. BUT

Service albeit very friendly sometimes it was slow or distracted. Location not very convenient if you want to walk or run. Although the front water area is inviting to run, to cross the road seems dangerous. The road is very busy, smell of gasoline and diesel and noisy with all the honking

Food was ok,

Did not try to pool, only visited the area and it looked not very inviting.

As I said, it has all the features of a nice hotel but somehow I am left with not the best impression.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Our team members sincerely appreciate the feedback on your stay at our hotel. We value your opinion, and thank you for providing us with ways to improve our services.

We are glad you enjoyed our amenities and features, and we thank you for the comments that leave us room for improvement.

We thank you for your preference, and hope to welcome you again.

St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Clean and modern. The staff were all super friendly and helpful. We stayed on the executive level with free breakfast . Great place! My husband had left his phone on the plane and the staff made a call to our cell company to discontinue service while we were gone,.

Room Tip: We were 18 floors up and heard no street noise even though the hotel is on a very busy street.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
HiltonSantoDomingo, Manager at Hilton Santo Domingo, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the comment your experience in our hotel. We thank you for the high ratings received. We are greatly pleased to know that you have experienced the true Hilton hospitality.

If there is anything I can assist you with on a future stay in Santo Domingo, please contact me.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed here for the 3rd time in 3 years, and this stay was by far the best. As a hhonors diamond member, I was upgraded to a suite, a great room, with a view of the Caribbean.

All of the staff, without exception were great, without doubt the hotel's best asset, polite in the extreme,considerate, and with a permanent GENUINE smile. Perfect.

Food and drink options were good, breakfast in the Sol y Sombra restaraunt had a great selection, hot, cold, sweet or savoury, and a healthy option corner. 1st rate.

The lounge on the 20th floor was the only disappontment, food and drink selections were light, BUT this is the norm for Hiltons in this region, and it stops people freeloading on the snacks instead of buying a meal, so thats a good thing in my opinion, I hate to see greedy people piling plate after plate of free food and drink.

After this stay, I wouldn't go anywhere else, this is a great Hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
HiltonSantoDomingo, Manager at Hilton Santo Domingo, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
We thank you for sharing your experience in our hotel. It is a great pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed the Hilton Honors benefits, our restaurant Sol y Sombra, and the exceptional service and helpfulness of all our team members.

We are sorry that the executive lounge did not meet the standards you expected; however, as you correctly state, the food and drink services to be offered are breakfast and snacks.

We are happy you enjoyed the true Hilton Hospitality, and we hope to welcome you soon.

Miami, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

"If you like small claustrophobic rooms, terrible service and a hotel far away from the tourist area, then enjoy this property!

This is my review of the Hilton Santo Domingo for my stay on January 18-20, 2013
Hilton Santo Domingo
George Washington Avenue, #500
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic 10104

I am a Hilton Diamond member and I booked my reservation online at Hilton.com two weeks prior to my arrival. I reserved "1 King Exec. Floor Oceanview" under the "ANY WEEKEND ANYWHERE" rate of $84.15 (with taxes it came to $107.71 per night).

Rate per night: 84.15 USD
Total for Stay per Room:
Rate 168.30 USD
Taxes 47.12 USD
Total 215.42 USD
Total for Stay: 215.42 USD

Part of being a Diamond member, I am eligible for a "Space available Room Upgrade"

CHECKING IN NO UPGRADE
The check-in for elite members is a bit different than other properties, you go to a side desk where you sit down (like youre at a principals office) and they check you in. Staff that check in elite members are called "Journey Managers". So my Journey Manager, Oscar, checked me in. He told me I had been 'upgraded' to the Executive Floor Oceanview. I told him that is what I booked. He insisted it was an upgrade. I asked if he had any Corner Rooms or Junior Suites (I had checked availability before I arrived at the hotel and the website showed they were both available). He told me no. The hotel was pretty empty (I was the only one checking in and the lobby was empty).

OVERCHARGED
My room was already pre-paid (the hotel had authorized and then charged my credit card several days before my arrival for $219.43. Then they also took another charge of $218.61. Oscar wanted to run my card for the room and incidentals, I told him no, you already had over $400 authorized, which should be more than enough for a two night $85/night stay. He wanted to authorize another $250.00 for two nights (their calculation is they want to take three times the rate per night of the entire stay). I thought this was odd. I told him I would only allow him to take $125 more for 'incidentals' and no more. So now they have over $560 of charges and authorizations on my credit card for a two night $85/night stay.

SMALL ROOM
I head to my room. When I get there I am shocked - Its a small "oceanfront" room with one small window. Its very claustrophobic in this room. I call downstairs and ask to speak with a manager, I explain to each person that I wanted a different room, that the room was too claustrophobic; I am transferred and bumped around before finally being told a manager will call me back shortly to fix my situation.

TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE
Fifteen minutes go by, then thirty minutes and still no call back, so I call once again, I speak with again a variety of people, all who explain nothing and say the manager or anyone else is not available to assist me.
Getting nowhere, I ask to be transferred to the Hilton Honors desk, they tell me I would have to call it directly from my room and he gives me a local number for it. Whats funny is he gives me the local number and then after reading the number and confirming it with me, tells me that perhaps I would prefer the Diamond Hilton Honors help desk instead (he should of offered this in the first place). I take the number, call and speak with Veronica at the Diamond Help Desk. I explain my situation, she takes all my details and says that she will call the hotel and see what she can do without making any commitments; I'm placed on hold for about twelve minutes before getting disconnected.

Wonderful, there's another twelve min of my vacation gone. So I waited another fifteen minutes for her to call me back (she had my room number and personal details) or a manager or someone, still nothing. So I head downstairs, at this point I'm ready to go to another property (there are two Marriott properties nearby I can go to). I spent already an hour and half and havent enjoyed Santo Domingo yet! I speak with Oscar again downstairs; he says that he spoke with Vernoica and that he will upgrade me to a Junior Suite on the 11th floor, a non-executive lower floor (the room I was in was on 19). Now it seems we have progress, why couldn't I have been upgraded in the first place?

Oscar calls the bellman over, and says that I will be switching rooms from 19th floor to the 11th floor, the bellman says "oh no" out loud and the Oscar gives him a weird look. What am I missing here?
Bellman takes me up to my old room to get my stuff, he encourages me to "see" the 11th floor before I move, I said I was over this situation and just wanted to get it done. Then I realized that Oscar had taken my key to the old room ,so had to go back downstairs to get another key to get my stuff out of the old room (why Oscar couldn't of let me keep the key to get my stuff out?!)

WATER IN FRONT OF DOOR!
Arriving on the 11th floor the room is next to the ice machine, they have towels on the floor and a Watch your Step sign not to slip and fall, the ice machine was leaking - right in front of my door.
Finally in the junior suite - it was bigger, but had no view! It had a view of the building next door (see the pix) OMG! What kind of upgrade is this? I go back online and check the website to see what is available, and sure enough, they have corner rooms, junior suites and more available. The Junior suits and rooms they show all have big windows with ocean view rooms, not rooms where the building next door is within thirty feet!

Whatever, I said let me just drop my things and head out of this hotel. On my way leaving the hotel to see the city, I see Oscar and tell him that I am not happy with the room and the reasons why. I ask
that he fulfill their promise, they have signs posted at his desk that say "satisfaction guarantee", I told him I was not happy and I would be back in a few hours and to please have something done.

Upon my return to the hotel, I speak with Oscar again (again the hotel is empty, no one around) and I asked what he had done for me, his reply nothing sir. At that point I decided I would be staying one night only, I tell him and ask that he refund my second night, he told me I would have to call Hilton Honors for the refund since I was already charged for the second night.

So the next day I leave the hotel after one horrible night.

I won't be going back there again!

CHARGED $40USD TO CALL HILTON DIAMOND DESK!
Oh yeah, here is one of the best parts! When I checked out the next day, I was charged nearly $40 (Charged $1,606 pescos $39.59 Usd) for calling that local number for the Hilton Honors Diamond Desk! I asked that they remove the charge, but I was told that they could not.

Wonderful!

On the bright side, they are converting a nearby hotel to a Sheraton!!

UPDATE: The hotel has offered to refund my telephone call to Hilton Honors & to refund the night I didn't stay. I still advise you to NOT stay at this property unless you want HEADACHES!

Room Tip: Get a room higher than 14th floor OR your view will most likely be blocked by residential buildings...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing your experience in our hotel: your opinion is valuable for us.We are sorry your stay at our hotel was not satisfactory. Please accept our sincere apologies about the inconveniences during your stay; we'll take your comments into serious consideration.

Thank you for the preference to our brand.

Minneapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The hotel was nice but the common areas were dirty. The pool deck really needed a wash down - so don't be barefoot! The staff were all very nice and polite!

Call for Apollo Taxi rather than having the hotel get you one - theirs are double the cost of a regular taxi. It was hard to even get a phone # from them to call a taxi.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience in our hotel. We are sorry we did not meet the high standards you expected when staying at Hilton Santo Domingo. We thank you for the comment since it allows us to improve; we hope you choose to stay with us in the future.

Silver Spring Md
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Let me begin by saying Francis and Israel were two hidden gems in this hotel. There was not much we could ask for or request that they could not answer or fulfill.
The oceanview room was beautiful (make you not ever want to close the curtains regardless of time of day or night).

We stayed on the 9th floor and that was very nice. The bed was extremely comfortable. The light and airy funishings and art work made the room look even larger than it was and it was very spacious. The bathroom could use some upgrading and the tub really showed it age but it was clean. From time-to-tiome we heard some typoe of construction or noise going on but it never went into late hours of the night.

We wouild have loved to have gone to one of the Casinos along George Washington Avenue but having walking limitations right now made that kind of impossible. Taxi's start beween $10-$20USD to go anywhere (each direction), I said if I've seen one Casino I've seen them all (and I've seen plenty). In the tourist brochure's they recommend the Malcone Center right next door but it is an almost vacant shell of what probably was once a very viable thriving shopping Mall. There is nothng there.

Instead of taking a structured tour which was offered by the Travel agency I booked through (Tour of the city for $55 per person), Israel recommended a private taxi. The driver, Jose Peralta Jimenez of Executive Transportation (their version of a taxi) not only is fluent in English, Spanish, French and Italian, drove us around for 3 hours, He waited with us, took us to the places we wanted to see and those of interest he thought would be of interest to us. Even if we passed something that I saw that was interesting and said could we stop--he would. Colonal Zone was interesting and very old world but that was the charm of Santo Domingo. Jose navaigated us through the streets and the city zones like the pro that he is for $15 and hour!!! (I did not have to do the math to figure out what was the better deal. (The $55 per person tour of the same places Jose took us to was also 3 hours).
Jose asked us what we wanted to do and how. Food was first and he took us to a small seafood restaurant (cant recall the name ) that did not look like much but OMG the food was excellent, well prepared, great presentation and made us take a taxi back the next day to enjoy the same. Pricey but well worth it! My husband had a two and a half pound lobster prepared with Garlic, butter and white wine that you could cut with a fork and the aroma alone was enough to make you salivate.

We enjoyed the buffet breakfast at the hotel but wished the food temperature had been hotter. The only food we found hot was the eggs because they were made to order. The chef each morning did an excellent job preparing the sunny side up eggs we ordered.

Downside: No one could help us get postage stamps and to recommend we go to the newly opened Renassiance hotel was not the best thing to do. But even with that information no one at the Hilton knew if they had them or not. After checking eight places and airport, we gave up and mailed the post cards when we got to the US. the defeated the "we're having a nice vacation post card surprise.". Nopt only would I return I plan to return the end of June to visit more places we did not see this time around.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
HiltonSantoDomingo, Manager at Hilton Santo Domingo, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. It is a pleasure for us to know that you have enjoyed your stay; we'll pass along your comments, specially to Francis and Israel.

We are glad you enjoyed the view, and the comfort of our rooms. We also thank your for the comment on our buffet since it gives us an opportunity to improve; about the stamps, mailing is not a popular service in DR, however, we'll take into consideration your comment in order to better our guest experience.

We hope to welcome you back in June !

Indhira Pérez Mendoza | Manager – Quality

Been to Hilton Santo Domingo? Share your experiences!