“Clean, Trendy, Accommodating -- Great Place.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Atarazana

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santo Domingo
Hotel Atarazana
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vicente Celestino Duarte #19 | Zona Colonial, Santo Domingo 00000, Dominican Republic (Zona Colonial)   |
Ranked #2 of 75 hotels in Santo Domingo
Ridgefield, CT
“Clean, Trendy, Accommodating -- Great Place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

I found myself in Orlando with a few free days and enough points for free tickets on Jet Blue, so I did a last minute 3 day/4 night trip to Santo Domingo to get to know the place. It was my first time in the Dominican Republic. Because I was travelling alone, I wanted a small House/Inn type of accommodation. I chose the Hotel Atarazana as it was highly recommended here on TA and seemed to be exactly what I was looking for. It was a great choice.

Armed with TA reviews of some of the tourist attractions and the “36 Hours in Santo Domingo” from last November’s NY Times, I took off from Orlando for the short two hour flight. Susanne from the hotel had arranged for a trustworthy taxi to meet me at the airport, and when I walked outside there was Jesus with a sign bearing my name. He was very knowledgeable, fair and accommodating and spoke English pretty well. I used him here and there during my stay as well as for the return trip to the airport.

The hotel: A small, clean trendy place. Only six rooms in a converted old colonial home, but never a lack of privacy. Plenty of hot water. Bottled water is available for drinking from a cooler right outside the rooms. The breakfast, which is included in the room rate, is excellent: A small buffet setup with eggs, fruit, rolls, cheese, coffee and juice (see my photo for a look). The hotel is walking distance to everything in the Zona Colonial, which is very safe with an abundance of tourist police who seem unnecessary. Although the hotel is actually connected to the police station (see my photo), I would feel safe staying anywhere in the Zona Colonial.

The owners, Susanne and her husband Bernard, together with their assistant Jessica are quite pleasant and very helpful in every regard, but never intrusive. In addition, they tend to attract interesting guests.

Santo Domingo has many good historical attractions, restaurants and great weather and I cannot imagine visiting the country and heading straight to a beach resort without spending at least a couple of nights there.

The Hotel Atarazana is a perfect place to stay for almost anyone, and I found it especially suited to me as a first time visitor travelling alone.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo

231 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2009

My best friend and I stayed here in February and we had a blast. Susanne, Carina, Patricia and Pedro-Julio were perfection. We stayed for 6 days and the hotel provides you with breakfast every morning. You are within walking distance to everything: shopping on the Conde, great food, wonderful people watching and historical sites.

We rented a car which was very adventurous, but I wouldn't suggest it if you are a scary driver. We actually only needed the car for our trip to Boca Chica which is a very nice, quaint beach about 25 minutes away. The hotel can arrange a car to pick you up from the airport.

The rooms themselves are wonderful, but if you want plush and luxury, than this isn't the place for you. Since we stayed in February (its rather cool at night) we rented the room without the air condition and slept with the patio doors open at night. The hotel is right next to the police station so it was very safe and quite.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Winnipeg MB Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2009

A beautiful, rececently renovated gem, in a very convenient location (on a quiet street, just around the corner from the Plaza de Espana), with a wonderful staff, and a great breakfast on their beautiful patio. We can't speak highly enough of the Hotel Atarazana. They even have rooms with balconies overlooking the patio!--great for those who want a balcony, but quiet, too. Beautiful rooftop space with lounges and an incredible view over La Zona. No concerns about security, as they are very careful and well protected, including electronic front door key, a free safe in the room and a police station next door. The staff were multilingual, extremely friendly and very helpful. They even do laundry at a reasonable price!
Please don't hesitate to contact me ([--] cvogel@mts.net) for more information on this or La Zona, Samana and Boca Chica.

• Liked — Beautiful design, very comfortable and safe, pleasant and easy to deal with.
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2009

My two friends and I stayed at Hotel Atarazana for the first two days and the last two days of our trip. (We traveled to other cities in between) We absolutely loved this place! It has all the amenities like plenty of hot water, great roof-top terrace, prime location, and lovely staff! All while being a small place with tons of personalized attention. Oh, and don't forget the breakfast! What a perfect way to start our day. Fresh fruit, cheese, meats, coffee, juice, fresh breads, and yummy eggs with peppers and tomatoes!

Our favorite part was the little black and white kitty that they have. She would come and hang out on out balcony with us . . .we loved her! Everyone here is always willing to help you with anything you may need. Even scheduling a taxi to pick you up at the airport and drawing you maps. We received 10% off for paying cash! Great!

Great view from the roof and a perfect place to lay out and tan! If you want to see Zona Colonial this hotel is perfect locations. Of the main roads so it's not so loud but only 2 blocks from the action. Best of both worlds.

• Liked — Location, Service
  • Disliked — We liked everything!
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

I stayed here from January 27th to January 30th 2009. I found the staff of this hotel to be very helpful. Suzanne even knocked on my door the morning of my checkout to ask me how everything was and wish me a safe trip. If you are looking for a hotel in the Colonial Zone do not hesitate to stay here. The reviews left by others is proof.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for three nights, one night at the start of our trip and two nights at the conclusion of our trip, as we started and ended our DR vacation in Santo Domingo.

From the moment we arrived until the moment we departed, we had an absolutely wonderful stay. We were greeted by the owner Susanna, who was kind, friendly, and helpful. She helped us get our bearings in the city, gave us good suggestions on places to explore, and made sure there was a taxi ready to pick us up the next morning to take us to our bus.

The breakfast, included in the nightly rate, was excellent and served in the beautiful courtyard (see photo). The rooms were clean, airy, and decorated in extremely good taste (see photos).

One suggestion: be sure to book in advance if you are traveling during a busy season, as the hotel only has six rooms. Oh, and the rooftop deck is great for city views and an afternoon siesta! Highly recommended!!!

• Liked — Location, friendly and helpful staff, delicious breakfast, and beautiful rooms!
  • Disliked — We liked everything!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Berlin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2008

The hotel with just six rooms is located in the colonial zone, just a few steps away from the most tourist sights. Susanne and her staff make sure you have a great stay. They give excellent recommendations where to eat and go, plus it is fun to chat with them while drinking a Cuba Libre.

The place is beautifully furnished with lots of nice details. The rooms are en-suite. We recommend a room to the courtyard, as on the other side the rooms get morning sun, so it can get quite hot. There is a nice rooftop terrace to offering a great view over the city!

Breakfast is nice too, and the rates are also reasonable. The place is also very safe and is perfect to stay a few days in this surprisingly interesting city!

• Liked — Personal atmosphere
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Atarazana? Share your experiences!