“Beautiful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Catedral Primada de America

Catedral Primada de America
Calle Arzobispo Merino (on the south side of Columbus Sq.), Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
809/682-3848
and up
Santo Domingo Sightseeing Tour from Punta Cana
Type: Religious Sites, Cultural
More attraction details
Owner description: This impressive cathedral, one of the earliest built in the Americas, is known for its dramatic architecture.
Charlotte, North Carolina
15 attraction reviews
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This cathedral was like a slice of Europe in the Caribbean. It is very tall and well kept. We did not go inside because when we were there they were having some type of military ceremony - idk. It was cool to watch from the outside though.

Visited April 2013

• Polish first
Dominican Republic
33 attraction reviews
“An old church”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

It was neat seeing the first Cathedral in the "new" world. The audio tour was helpful. We spent about 30 minutes here. A must see though.

Charlottesville, Virginia
10 attraction reviews
“If you like cathredrals and love architecture, GO!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I walked in and I got a few tears in my eyes. Grand and architectually fabulous, was the ceiling. I believe they call those, flying buttresses, but I'm no scholar, so I'm probably wrong. The paintings on the ceiling painted by a woman with no hands, just stubs if I am to believe my personal tour guide. Remarkable doesn't quite cover it. You could have told me Michaelango painted it and I would have believed it. I may be naive, and not cultured, but the carvings and brickwork and paintings were to me, just fantastic. What a lovely place.

Nashville, Tennessee, United States
26 attraction reviews
“Still standing from the 1500s”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We thought coming in that this would be a ruin and were presently surprised to find that it was not! It is absolutely gorgeous in side and out. I would recommend that you pay a little extra for the self guided audio tour

Saskatoon,SK Canada
87 attraction reviews
“Christopher Columbus was buried here at one time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Beautiful Gothic Architecture. I’m not a religious person, but that did not diminish the impression of this structure one bit.

Christopher Columbus was buried in one of the Church’s chapels for quite some time and was forgotten about by the rest of the world. Apparently he was moved to a memorial light house across town somewhere. The chapel with the iron bars is the one he was in. Check the photos out.

The tour is self guided. After admission you get an MP3 player in your choice of language and away you go. Admission is $2 US and can be done in about an hour.

I loved the stained glass. You can feel the history at every turn. If you are in the Historic Zone you owe it to yourself to visit this 400+ year old church.

Visited February 2013