“Quiet, Remodel, close to white house hotel!!” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Hotel La Casona Dorada & Restaurant to your Saves list
Hotel La Casona Dorada & Restaurant
Hotel La Casona Dorada & Restaurant
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Independencia No 255 | Esq. Osvaldo Báez, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (Gazcue)   |
Ranked #66 of 75 hotels in Santo Domingo
Hollywood, Florida
“Quiet, Remodel, close to white house hotel!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

I stay with with my husband to be, the room were clean, quiet and AC work perfectly. The pool was dirty since hotel was remodel but overall hotel was great. Friend had a wedding there and staff did a excellent job preparing the place. Staff was were great and hotel has valet parket which come very handy...

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

20 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

My sister and I stayed at the Hotel, the staff was friendly and we had round the clock security and the kitchen catered to our every need. The room need to be more modern. however I will recommend this Hotel to any one looking for an inexpensive place to stay. My major complaint is there need to be more english speaking staff at the hotel we had problems understanding and communicating but that did not discourage us. Also there is restaurants, Casinos and Food stores with in walking distance.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

I enjoyed every minute of my stay at La Casona Dorada. The room could have been a liiiiittle bit bigger but it was comfy and clean. The a/c, tv, remote and phone worked perfectly. The bathroom was clean and I definitely appreciated the hot water - no complaints there. I had dinner in their restaurant, the food was delicious. Later on I sat at the bar with my laptop - yes, I had internet connection! - and enjoyed a few glasses of wine and great music (my requests). The staff at the restaurant and the bar were VERY friendly and attentive. I then told the bartender I wanted to sit by the pool. He walked me down to the pool area, brought my drink along and placed it on the table for me - now THAT'S what I call customer service!! It was sooo relaxing sitting by the pool. I unfortunately only stayed for one night but I will definitely stay there again on my next trip to Santo Domingo. I loved it!! It's also situated in a prime location in the city. The Malecon, casinos, restaurants are steps away. Thumbs up to La Casona Dorada.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2009

I visited Dominican Republic for about two weeks. I stayed in many good hotels. My last two nights I decided to try the La Casona Dorada hotel (cheap hotel) on Avenida Independencia in the Gascue section of Santo Domingo. The room was small and ugly with no safe. The room had a balcony and was on the second floor. On my last night in Santo Domingo I left this hotel around 5:30 pm. I returned to my room at around 5:30am the next morning. All of my electronics that were in the room were stolen, ipod, portable computer (laptop), digital camera, cell phones and other items. I was not happy.

I went to the guys who work at the hotel and asked them to call the police. They refused. I then walked to the V Centenario Hotel on the malecon and asked them to call the police for me. The person at the V Centenario called the police and told me to wait. I waited for over 30 minutes and no police. I then asked what I should do. They told me I should take a taxi to the police station. I took a taxi to the Nacional Police, I believe this small police station was on Avenida Bolivar. There were a few guys dressed in plain clothes sitting on the steps of this police station. I explained that my room had been broken into and robbed at the La Casona Dorada hotel. They told to come back at 9am to file a report. I then walked from this police station back to the La Casona Dorada hotel.

When I got back to the La Casona Dorada Hotel there was a Politur police officer there. I showed him my room and he then took me to the politur police station in Zona Colonial. I had to wait in this police station for about 2 hours for the Colonel to arrive.

After the Colonel of the Politur arrived we drove back to the La Casona Dorada hotel. The Colonel of the Politur Police spoke with the management of the hotel. I was told that the hotel would reimburse me for the items that were stolen. My stuff was stolen about two months ago and I have not received anything. The people at the hotel la casona dorada never apologized, never said sorry, nothing. I have been dealing with their insurance company on almost a daily basis and the last thing the insurance company said is that there is a problem with the coverage and that during Semana Santa no one works, so I was told I would have to wait till next week.

I have written the Dominican Tourism office about this experience and I never received a response back.

Supposedly the thieves broke one of the metal bars that were above the balcony, they then opened the sliding door that led from the room to the balcony. I have stayed at other hotels in the Dominican Republic with sliding balcony doors and they had a metal pin that slid into a hole in the doors that would prevent them being slid open. The balcony doors at the La Casona Dorada Hotel did not have a metal pin. I locked the sliding doors before I exited my room.

The metal bars protecting the room from the outside were useless. Seems the thieves broke one very easily with no one hearing a thing and then easily broke the lock on the sliding door. No safe in the room.

In those two weeks in Dominican Republic I dropped a lot of money on expensive hotels, resturants, 26% taxes. My mistake was staying for two nights at the cheap La Casona Dorada Hotel. I spent my last day with the police, getting fingerprinted, I visited the main police station, which has many buildings. The police fingerprinted the room as well. I spent over 12 hours with the police. The police guys I met very nice.

Next step is I have a friend is a lawyer in Dominican Republic, I will have to pay him to start a lawsuit against the hotel. It is not a nice way to treat tourists.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
worldover
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2008

My traveling buddy and I had a great time there. The hotel seems central to the city proper. Want to gamble? The casinoes are 20 minutes away. The neighborhood seems safe and the people friendly. It's a relaxed environment. No fus. The room service is not of the best but can be tolerated. The water may not always be hot, but can get that way. whatever complaints are addressed. The management must have some understanding that the service is not the best so they try to be kind and helpful. It's a nice place to be during the New Year celebrations. Men ! The girls are all around, just be patient. Av Independencia leads to the slot machines, restaurants, some of which have clubs, and , of course, single women waiting for you.

• Liked — Relaxed mood
  • Disliked — Sometimes no hot water
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2007

Hi. This place was a great deal and had security on the premises. I walked in, got a great rate, and stayed for two nights. I swam, I ate and I enjoyed myself in the caribbean. People need to stop expecting champagne service on a beer budget.

The restaurant was good; slow staff, but good. If you want a hotel-like experience, I recommend the mercure in the zona colonial. cheers.

Stayed March 2007
San Juan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2007

We booked in twice, because we left for the RD-Haiti frontier and returned to Santo Domingo a day later. Both times we had to haggle the room price. The first stay was OK. The second was nightmairish. We arrived close to midnight and, after the price haggle were given a dirty, noisy, unprepared room that even had signs of a fight (overturned lamp). We complained to no avail and, adding insult to injury, room service refused to put on clean bedsheets, giving them to us to do their job. We did not leave because we were too exhausted after all-day travel to go to another hotel. Before leaving for good the next day I requested to see the manager-again to no avail, and lodged both written and verbal complaints. As you may imagine, I got no answer. Looking for other lodging options in this site I ran into this opportunity to "let the world" know about our experience at La Casona.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed July 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel La Casona Dorada & Restaurant? Share your experiences!