“A gem in the Zona Colonial” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hodelpa Caribe Colonial

You added Hodelpa Caribe Colonial to your Saves list
Hodelpa Caribe Colonial
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Isabel La Catolica No. 159 | Zona Colonial, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (Zona Colonial)   |
Ranked #25 of 76 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Cologne, Germany
“A gem in the Zona Colonial”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

A beautiful modern boutique hotel in the Zona Colonial close to the Plaza Colon and the main street El Conde. Many of the tourist attractions are in walking distance. Stayed in a "superior room with balcony". Room was a very good size, very clean, and the beds were comfortable. Bathroom rather small but it served its purpose. Staff very helpful and quickly attended to any complaints. Good breakfast and food available in hotel restaurant. Also good hotel security. Only drawback for front rooms (superior rooms) is the afternoon/early evening noise from the street and Bodega opposite the hotel. In close proximity are a number of good restaurants and cafes! An excellent place to stay.

Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Jerico, Colombia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

I needed to stay one night in the Colonial Zone on short notice and would be going to the airport next morning. I arrived on a Friday am at noon with no reservation. I had come to this hotel based upon the recommendation of an associate who lives in the Colonial Zone and fortunately my new friend told me I could get a good room for $85USD.

Upon arriving the front desk said that they had rooms but they were $150USD/night but included breakfast. Well I was more than willing to find another hotel cheaper and graciously thanked the desk and attempted to depart whereby I was quickly asked "What would you like to pay?" ....now we are talking. I said very clearly that I wanted a nice room w/ breakfast included for $85+taxes or I would find another hotel. Well a smile was delivered and we had a deal.

I had a nice room on the fourth floor with same floor access to the 4th floor veranda. After going out for dinner I retired to this veranda with a fine handrolled Dominican cigar and a gold beer with a beautiful night view of that part of the Colonial Zone.

The room was very nice, bathroom great, overall property very clean and modern. Upon checkout I paid with cash and retrieved my previous credit card receipt but only after asking for it. They should have offered it up without me asking. They had an airport cab ready to go exactly on the time I asked and I had a nice ride to the airport.

I forgot to mention that the hotel is right at the corner of the beginning of the El Conde and the Hard Rock Cafe with a nice collection of sidewalk cafes.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
SPb
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2009

Location: in the middle of historic centre, Colonial zone. Very closed to main pedestrian zone (El Conde), souvenir shops and historical monument. Not far from park Enriquillo – the one of the bus terminals (20-30 minutes walking).
About hotel: very nice and highly recommended to everyone, stops in SDo. Seems to be one of the several, managed by Dominican, but very good quality. Staff is nice, friendly, speaks English. The room is ok, the bed with canopy. New, modern bathroom, even bathrobe. Safe in room, costs 50 DR$/day. Free WIFI internet, the router is located on the 1st floor at reception, but we managed to get it at out room at second floor too.
Breakfast was a buffet with standard choice of hot dishes, season fruits and some cakes. Very nice.
Overall: the room could be a bigger and the view from window more scenic, but such small points could not overcome very good impression from hotel in overall. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Panama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2009

This is a nice hotel. Perfect for those who like to visit museums and restaurants and for those who rent a car.
I like it a lot because it's near to museums and to Hard Rock Cafe Restaurants, also If you rent a car you can easily travel through Santo Domingo.
This is not a luxurious hotel obviously but for those who like nice small hotels close the everything this is the one.

• Liked — It's a central area on Santo Domingo.
  • Disliked — Not so close to the touristic beaches.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bayahibe, Dominican Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

When we lived in Cabarete, north part of Dominican Republic, and needed to go to Capital for business, we stayed few time in this hotel. The location is great, in the Zona Colonial where everything is just walking distance. It's a great hotel for tourists that want to see the historic part of Santo Domingo. The staff is very friendly, speaks English as well, the breakfast, that is included in the price is excellent, buffet style, with many things to choose from. We would go there anytime

• Liked — Close to all historical sites
  • Disliked — Sometime hard to get out of parking lot
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2007

I was pleased with my $70 US single for one night post cruise. I arrived before 10 AM, but they could not get the card key programmed properly for my room. I was upgraded to the first room available. A free internet computer was available in the lobby as well as wi-fi.

My room was plenty large and included a refrigerator with drinks reasonably priced. The air conditioner was powerful enough to freeze (the thermostat worked nicely).

The English speaking desk clerk arranged a walking tour for me as well as a taxi to the airport, both without a hitch.

The included buffet breakfast was excellent and included scrambled eggs, bacon and cold cuts. The hotel was up to US standards with the exception of the dim room lighting.

Stayed December 2007
Cofresi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

I have been staying at Hodelpa Caribe Colonial on regular basis for the past five years and I loved it! The last time my husband and I stayed before this last weekend was in December of 2006 and it was amazing as every previous time. We got to know the entire staff and everyone starting with the General Manager were more than friendly, there were our family in Santo Domingo and we really felt like coming "home". This weekend were returned to find a complete disaster! The General Manager was gone and apparently with him the friendly staff. We got a "Superior" room on the 2nd floor where A/C did not work properly and the humidity was unbelivable. We hardly slept. In the morning, we were suprised how poor the breakfast was, there was no orange juice and we had to chase someone around to get a cup of coffee. Than we were told that the breakfast was no longer included in the price (while every time for the past 5 years it was!!!), and an unfriendly staff member was demanding a breakfast ticket from us. When checking out, there was nobody to help with the luggage, but there were at least 4 staff members just staring at us (doing nothing at the time!) as we were leaving with 6 pieces of bagagge, and a 6-month old baby. Nobody moved their finger at all! Overall, I will never go back to this place again and If you care about some customer service, stay away from it.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hodelpa Caribe Colonial? Share your experiences!