“Bad Beginning Turned Good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hodelpa Caribe Colonial

You added Hodelpa Caribe Colonial to your Saves list
Hodelpa Caribe Colonial
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Isabel La Catolica No. 159 | Zona Colonial, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (Zona Colonial)   |
Ranked #28 of 76 Hotels in Santo Domingo
New York City, New York
“Bad Beginning Turned Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

PROS: Great location. Nearby everything. El Conde right at your doorstep. Comfy beds. Felt clean and relaxing. Bikes loaned for free.

CONS: Rooms are very small. Views from balcony show nasty rooftops nearby. Frequent power outages. WiFi is really bad. Language barrier could provide some issues.

After an extremely long flight, I arrived at the hotel exhausted and ready for a nap. However, my room had been switched without my knowledge to a smaller room that was higher priced. This was not sufficient and in my exhausted state, I went back and forth with management for a remedy. I was left with no choice but to stay in a tiny room I didn't like for 1 night, however management did provide a comfortable alternative the next day to make my trip better. Jacuzzi was broken, water pressure in the shower was poor, but the staff seemed polite and helped make an awful start to my trip turn out to be a quality vacation in the end.

Room Tip: Spend a few bucks more and get a suite for space and comfort. The standard rooms are too small.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Port-au-Prince, Haiti
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I had an average experience in Hodelpa Caribe Colonial. The service was good, there's nothing to say about that at all, no complains in that level. I didn't like the food and the fact that there's no parking, and no swimming pool wasn't interesting. Beside that the location is great!!! In "La zona Colonial", once you are there all the activities are walking distance. All the night clubs, lounge, cigar shop, restaurant are close, no need to rent a car or take a Taxi. The experience was interesting.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Bayahibe, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

This is where we usually stay if we have to stay in Santo Domingo overnight. And again a very nice and friendly service, glass of champagne is served when you arrive, by the way it is very very good :)
We are not really breakfast people and usually don't eat much in the morning, but the selection at the buffet looked good. From cold cuts to eggs and sausages, yogurt, cereals and fruits. We just had coffee / tea and some buns.
The checkout was fast, the only "problem" was that our car was blocked at the hotel parking and had to wait for the personal to move other cars. But that was maybe 5 minutes. If we asked before heading for the morning coffee we wouldn't wait at all.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Santiago de los Caballeros, Dominican Republic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Hodelpa Caribe Colonial is a decent hotel, located right in the heart of the colonial area in Santo Domingo.
You can walk to all the historical places in a few minutes, is perfect for those looking to visit the area, good restaurants are a few blocks away as well.
The hotel itself is decent, nice staff, decent breakfast, room are ok for a few nights, free internet.
I usually stay there for business and in some occations for a quick gateaway.
Price is affordable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Long Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

The staff is amazing and accomdatating. I had the managers name but I lost it :( Bed is SUPER comfortable, room is clean, breakfast was included and very delicious. Quiet as well and a great Carribean feel as well. YO REGRESO DEFINITIVAMENTE. MUCHAS GRACIAS!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel 3 or 4 times per year for the last 6 years. The entire staff is very professional and friendly. The location is perfect for the zona colonial. The rooms are very clean and comfortable. The food in the restaurant is freshly prepared and very delicious. I have stayed in other larger chains in Santo Domingo, but always come back to this property because of the incredible job that the staff dose. Thanks for a job well done to the entire staff!

Room Tip: Rooms located away from the elevator are the best.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

First the hotel is charming, but noisy and in a down-town tourist area near many sight seeing opportunities - the reason I booked it. I have traveled many times by myself, and have never before had such a terrible experience. On the night of my check in, I was asked if I had a boyfriend, why not, and if I would like one for the week. When I declined with aghast, I thought the silliness was over. I was wrong. A Spanish speaking staff member kept talking to me and winking at me, though I repeatedly responded with I don't understand and an uncomfortable smile. On my third night there he showed up at my door asking for my number. When I refused, he apologized and left. The next night at 2240 my phone rang, and hung up upon answering. Moments later he was at my door to say good night. Needless to say I checked out shortly after, ending my stay early. Worst, though I emailed the management several days ago with my complaint, there has been no response, not even an apology.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hodelpa Caribe Colonial? Share your experiences!