“I loved this place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hodelpa Caribe Colonial

You added Hodelpa Caribe Colonial to your Saves list
Hodelpa Caribe Colonial
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Isabel La Catolica No. 159 | Zona Colonial, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (Zona Colonial)   |
Ranked #28 of 76 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Louisville, Kentucky
“I loved this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Fond memories were made for me at the Hotel Hodelpa in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. Regardless of your level of Spanish or English, the service staff there can help you, as they are bilingual. From the moment we arrived there, I was thoroughly impressed. When we arrived and went to the front desk, there were flutes of bubbly, sparkling grape juice served to us in beautiful blue flutes that matched the hotel color scheme. The front desk staff were very gracious and welcoming. There was a nice seating area in the lobby, as well as a small area just behind the front desk area where you can use the desktop computers.

The walls both in the lobby and throughout the hotel on every floor, have inspirational messages printed on them. The rooms are beautiful, with lovely tulle tied on the bedposts. The beds slept comfortably, and the rooms were spacious. The public restroom on the first floor is beautiful, with cherrywood doors on the stalls, and nice floral centerpieces. There are, of course, private restrooms in the rooms. These, too, are nice.

We had breakfast in the dining room, which was lovely. The food was superb. I repeat, the food was superb. I like to eat healthy, and I was not disappointed. It was my first time eating yucca, and I enjoyed it much the way it was prepared with red onions, along with fresh fruit, fresh fruit juices (mango, papaya, orange, etc.) and additional options for meat-eaters.

The hotel is is walking distance of shopping, cafes, and the Zócalo. It is a very scenic area. Our group walked around the city in the Colonial Zone (where the hotel is located), and saw numerous sites, including cathedrals and street entertainers. On a wall nearby the hotel, we saw images of the faces of the famed Hermanas Mirabál. I highly recommend doing some background reading on the history of this beautiful city before traveling there. It made the difference in the level of enrichment I got from the trip. I think this may be the best trip I have ever taken abroad, and I've been to several places in Latin America and the Caribbean. The loveliness of Hotel Hodelpa and its excellent location was a huge bonus.

There is a terrace a few flights up, where one can look out and see a nice amount of the Colonial Zone, including a nice view of some apartments across the street. Whenever I return to Santo Domingo, I plan to always stay at Hotel Hodelpa. I actually traveled there in May-June 2009, which is just the right time (or earlier) to visit Santo Domingo. Anything later, and the tropical heat (humidity) will likely be unbearable. It was just getting to that point during my visit. This was a study abroad trip through a state university.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I have to say, I have tried most of the hotels in the area but none cant be compared or compete with Hodelpa Caribe Colonial. I love love LOVE this place. Its like my second home.The location, the rooms, the service, the food.. Im so glad I found Hodelpa. Cheers

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I have used this hotel for years when I am staying in Santo Domingo. The best staff in the world, so friendly and serviceminded. The rooms are clean and good. Good breakfast and nice food in the restaurant. It is in walking distance from shopping, history and restauranst. Also the Malecon is close by. Best hotel for little money. Absolutely to recomend. Siv Mika from Norway

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are more quiet but then you miss streetlife and balcony :-)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

i travel at least 3 times a year to dr, always stay in this hotel, the location is great to learn about the discovery of the new world, also is very safe place to walk around lots of tourist from around the world. in this hotel i feel at home the staff is so great, friendly, humble, incredible helpfull, the room are very clean and confortable, great breakfast. the best

Room Tip: the rooms in the 4th floor are very quiet, the ac is quiet, excellent
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Buenos Aires
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

The location, in the colonial neighbourhood, is very good but that´s all there is to it. Although the accomodations are "correct" I must say the place is decorated in quite a bad taste, the people at the desk are willing but not very able and, in my case, the bathroom was not clean.
The hotel was recommended to me by a friend whose a resident in DR, because of the location. I had one night to spend in Santo Domingo (I had to catch a flight early the next morning) so I wanted to be walking distance from the colonial quarters and it´s bars and restaurants. That I got, and not much more. The place is full of neon lights, voile curtains and tacky quotes written on the walls... so if you love American Idol and Armani Exchange, this is your place in the world!!
To make it worse, when we got the room and tried to get a shower it was all filthy from something that dripped from the ceiling. We got another room, although it took a few minutes and a member of the staff coming to check what was wrong with the room. Then we asked for a wake up call, since we needed to get up early (6 am) to get to the airport on time. Wake up call came 20 minutes late and my car was parked at the very end of the lot (with 4 or 5 cars having to be removed to take mine out) although I asked for it to be parked near the entrance the night before. Oh, also, no breakfast at that time.
All in all, the place is in a good location and it has all the basic creature comforts, but for u$s 90 a night (tax included) you are better off in Hotel Europa (a block away) that is similar in quality but at least does not look like Sonny Crocket´s hideaway in Santo Domingo.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Southfield, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I have stayed in other hotels in this area. This is by far the best hotel for several reasons. The location allows you travel by foot or a short taxi ride to sight seeing and other restaurants. The rooms are clean well kept.The staff is friendly and most speak English. If you decide to stay close to the hotel. The food prepared is very good. With many options of choices, I highly recommend this hotel for any traveler, that would like to see Santo Domingo from a city view.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Manassas, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We were brought here by our cab driver after our flight was cancelled due to TS Issac in August of 2012. We were delayed in returning for 6 additional days. Upon arrival we were treated as family. We were traveling with 2 senior citizens, my 1 year old daughter and my wife. Since we had already come to the end of our vacation all our clothes needed washing, our daughter needed diapers and other essential supplies. Since it was raining the bell hop, Victor, took all our luggage from the cab and even escorted my wife and daughter, and mother in law and grandmother from the car into the hotel shielded with an umbrella. Laundry services were offered to us and asked only to provide a tip the the maid who would do our laundry. We insisted that we could walk to the laundry mat that was only a few blocks away. They would not let us go out in the rain, caringly so.

We are not high maintenance travelers and require few comforts outside of a clean hot shower, clean linens and friendly staff. All of the basic needs were met and exceeded. The kitchen staff was top notch! I disagree with the other reviewer regarding the philly cheese. We are from DC and have had some really good philly cheese. There's while isnt the best it certainly was very good. All the food was fantastic. I agree the breakfast was not a massive diversity of food. but the coffee, and OJ was fantastic. The breakfast bar never left us hungry. We ordered room service a few nights and it was also on spot. Zacariaus, one the restaurant staff was very attentive and even made special arrangements for our daughter and her dietary needs. While the food tends to be a bit on the expensive side it is on par with the area.

Our room was on the third floor and as others have mentioned the elevator is small but effective. Our room was a double, so we had 2 queen beds and they even brought in a pack and play for our daughter to sleep which was perfect. The room had a flat screen TV with an abundance of channels, both English and Spanish. We didn't find the bathroom small but the shower stall is a bit small but it was clean and the water was hot. It did take a bit to warm up but again not a big deal. They take the boutique thing seriously our room was equipped with a foot and back massager, two terry cloth robes, and a sound machine. The beds had screens around them for added romance... not with grandmother, and mother in law in the room but it was a nice touch. Our room did have a balcony overlooking the street. There is also fully stocked mini bar in the room. Our AC did malfunction the first day but upon reporting it in the morning we were told we should have called last night as they have a full time maintenance staff on site at all times. He promptly arrived and repaired the AC which we had no further problems.

The hotel is in the perfect location close to many of the historic sites and it is safe. Only complaint and it wasn't even that big of a deal is that there are a couple bars right across the street that played music late into the night. There are a couple banks, house of cambio and convenient stores in the immediate area so taxis were not needed. It was safe enough for us to walk to during the day we generally were in before dark but I wouldn't be afraid to walk across the street to the store to buy a soda but further than that I did have reservations walking around the area at night. There was a hard rock cafe a block away where my wife and i walked over to one night with no problem but again you are in a foreihn country and so caution must be used.

They do offer Wifi throughout the hotel but I found it difficult to get a signal in my room. I had to stand in the door way to get service. But in the restaurant and lobby had no problems. They also offer free use of a computer in the lobby.

Overall I would hands down recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to SD. Edward the general manager was very attentive and was seen several days on site. All the staff was amazing and made an unfortunate situation turn into a great time.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with a balcony that face the street to enjoy morning coffee or just people watch
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hodelpa Caribe Colonial? Share your experiences!