“Better than I expected” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo

You added Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo to your Saves list
Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle El Conde Esquina Hostos | Ciudad Colonial, Santo Domingo 10210, Dominican Republic (Zona Colonial)   |
Ranked #36 of 76 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Brooklyn NY
“Better than I expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2009

this hotel was better than I expected.
Pros
1. In the middle of Zone Colonial, Great Location
2. Breakfast Buffet in the morning ( I only ate the fruit, flys were flying over the food)
3. Rooms were clean, I tipped a cleaning guy and young lady they made sure I had whatever I needed in my room.
4. Wifi in the room and One computer access downstairs, with printer
5. Nice look to the hotel, the cleaning people were very nice and cool.
Cons
1. Pay $17 per guest, but I read that online before I made my reservation. ( most hotels charge you for guest visits )
2. The Front desk guys were kind of rude except for one.
3. I stayed in room 307 the AC was not blowing very well, and it was humid and the room kind of smelled like mold.
4. Around my security deposit box, it smelled
5. My friend was in room 210, the room was NICE!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Daly City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

The complementary breakfast is very good, it inlcudes fresh fruits and you can ask the waitress for expresso coffee that is included.
There is plenty of parking on the street across the street.
We stayed at room 203 and it has a strong humidity smell. My friend stayed in another room and it was fine.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Düsseldorf, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

We occupied 3 rooms at the Mercure Comercial for one weekend in March. Welcome drinks were provided and check-in was relatively painless.

The main lift was out of service all weekend so you had to use the service lift in the kitchen.

All three rooms were small but functional. The beds were comfortable but the rooms themselves were certainly not up to either Mercure or ACCOR standards. The floors were not clean and there was no shampoo in one of the rooms for the entire weekend, despite asking at reception. The handle fell off one of the windows when opening the curtains. The air conditioning was old, loud and not very good. The cable TV had a good selection of English channels and the minibar was well stocked.

The safe in the closet did not have a lock and these had to be picked up from reception. Unfortunately they did not have enough locks in stock so we had to share one safe between three rooms, only got this on the second day, and only after asking a few times at reception. They did not seem to operate any kind of “first come first served” system, nor did they hold locks for those who had already asked. If they happened to have one at reception when you asked, you got one.

We ordered a wakeup call at reception for 2 rooms (different times), but one room was not woken.

Breakfast was quite good, but not consistent (far better on day 1 than day 2).
Service was competent but not exactly friendly. I don’t think we saw one smile in the 3 days.

The front desk clerk (manager) was unable to explain to one of our party how to make a local phone call !?!

Check out took ages due to complications with the bill and nobody seemed interested whether or not we had enjoyed our stay etc.

Thankfully, we chose this hotel because of (a) the very central location (it doesn’t get more central) and (b) a very good offer on Expedia so we were not too disappointed.

If all you need is a place to sleep for 2 days, this hotel is fine. Anything else -> avoid.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Philipsburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

This hotel is good if u are going to SD for a weekend. If u are planning on staying longer it will be best to book a better hotel.

The rooms are very small and the service is not that great there, however there is a nice waiter, young that serve breakfast in the morning and he is very nice and friendly.

The breakfast is not that all bad, at least they offer it for Free.

The location is great as it is on the main shopping street.

The Front desk need to be way more friendly as i own a hotel and i give my guest great service with a smile.

Also they need to realized that Black young people take vacation also and that not every Black person u see with a white person is a Haitian.

In general the whole country need to stop this [--] with Race as lots of Blacks do visit SD.

Stayed July 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2008

I stay at the MERCURE at least 4 times a year. The staff is excellent. Most of the guys at the front desk know me by name. The food is also good. It's in the perfect location. The only thing I don't like is the rule on visitors, which a lot of hotels in Santo Domingo have the same rule of charging for visitors. I understand the hotel wants to keep a certain atmosphere like most of places. The price of visitors could come down some though. Other then that everything else is ok. i will be going back in August ni staying at the MERCURE.

MY SECOND HOME
ATLANTA, GEORGIA

• Liked — price and staff friendliness
  • Disliked — visitor price
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
wiseboc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

To Begin With, There was no A/C and they told me that it was not going to be working for the next 2 days (temperature is usually about 80 to 98 degrees in DR ), since i was with a couple of friends that were staying at the same hotel I Decided to stay .
I was taken to my room and as soon as I went in I smell something funny, it was bad, I went to the bathroom And I notice that it was dirty so I call the desk and I’ve got no response . I went downstairs and spoke to the person at the desk and told him what was going on and asked him to send someone to clean up the bathroom, his response was and I quote “I am not going to send anyone “ I asked why and he said “for the amount of money you are paying you should not complain “ as soon as I heard that I went to the room picked up my things and left to another hotel and I have to tell you that 3 days later my friends joined me at the hotel I was staying , they said that not even once their room were made nor they had A/C.
It is sad but somebody has to say something, I choose safety and hygiene over saving a couple of dollars
I wish you don’t but if you do, please get the heck out of Mercure Comercial Sto Domingo fast before you get sick.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rome
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2008

I stayed for a week-long business trip. I found the staff cold and disinterested and was greatly dissapointed from arrival.

The hotel promotes it self as a 4 star but it is a rough 3 star at best. The rooms are old and beg remodelling and refurnishing.

I had to request a room-change because the first one was so small I couldn’t enter the bathroom without having to move the luggage out of the way. The bathroom was so ridicuouly small and ill designed that to go in/out of the shower I had jump over the toilet. The space between it and the wall was less than a foot (about 20 cm). Needless to say there is no way to sit on it except sideways (my dignity prevented me from trying this). In the shower, I could barely fit. I am 5’8 (1.73m) and the shower head was just over my head.

After changing rooms, the furniture was about the same but at least the space was close to normal. The bathroom was better but the shower problem was the same.

One day, I forgot a gold ring (moronic I know), it wasn’t there three hours later and of course: “hotel policy… they cannot be responsible… blah, blah, blah).

Positives: Free wireless internet that worked well in the lobby and ok in the room. Location is good if you there for tourism and are interested in the old town.

Overall, the place was clean, the staff wasn’t nice and food was mediocre. I tis far from every government and business location. Installations beg improvement. I can’t believe Accor rates this as a 4 star. I know the franchise is much better than this, and elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo? Share your experiences!