“Rip off taxis” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo

Save Saved
You added Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo to your Saves list
Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle El Conde Esquina Hostos | Ciudad Colonial, Santo Domingo 10210, Dominican Republic (Zona Colonial)   |
Ranked #39 of 74 hotels in Santo Domingo
Las Terrenas, Dominican Republic
“Rip off taxis”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Wife, child (age 6 and I) just spent two nights there. Comfortable, hassel free, with Expedia's 35% discount very reasonable. Food OK but watch out for the taxis. Do NOT if you can avoid it take one of the taxis from outside the hotel, either save the the taxi you arrived in or use one of the city's taxi companies, reception should give you the telephone number. The taxis outside will charge you at least DOUBLE the correct price. They are a bunch of ladrones who think that because you overnighted in a hotel you must be either rich or gullible.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
H2974, Director General at Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Granca36,

Thank you very much for your comments and I am glad to see that you appreciated your stay at the hotel.
Regarding the taxis, it is important to know how it works. They are independant but we "conttrol" them somehow. Indeed, for security purposes, we know all of them, it is investigated that they have a clean background, we have the IDs and basically, we can ensure security. Also, we do not accept cars with no insurance or not in a good state, so we can ensure comfort and security.
As for the rate, because of all above, they are more expensive, but more reliable, than cabs from the city station ; those are cheaper but you can get the most "original" cars sometimes! I do use them but I will never recommend to my Guests because of the reasons you understand now. Nevertheless, you are right, under request, we obviously can provide the numbers of the companies ; then, this is the Guest choice.
The taxis in front of the hotel have a rate document which should be asked for because they have the obligation to show it.
As we are very close to those matters, because we are protecting our Guests, if something went out of what I explained to you, please send me a mail for me to investigate with the details and I will get back to you.

301 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I travel to Santo Domingo quite often (At least 12 times a year). I always booked pre-paid in a never know what you are going to get web site and fashion, but have always (until now) been very happy with what I get for my prepaid booking dollars.

THE BAD:
Waited in the lobby over two hours for a room. I arrived at the hotel at 2pm and did not get a room until almost 4:30. What is worst is that ever 15 minutes I was told to wait another 15 minutes.

Internet is beyond slow, and had a ton of very slow and dropping connection issues

They attempted to charged $20.00 per night for my wife. This is crazy! I pointed out that first you had me wait 2 plus hours for a room and now you have the nerve to attempt to profit another $20 per night for my wife. Then I told them that the prepaid booking site always states on the booking, 2 person room reservation.

NOT enough outlets for the moden day computers, ipad, iphone world

Room too small!

THE GOOD:
The location, El Conde is a great location for tourist. But to be honest I would had rather stay at a number of other hotels that offer better service and value in the El Conde area or on the Malecon.

Room Tip: Stay at the Hilton, Hostal Nicolas Ovando - MGallery Collection hotel or Hotel Palacio hotel them a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
H2974, Director General at Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Brent L.,

I am sorry to figure out that your experience was not up to your expectation.

There are indeed two points to comment according to what you wrote.

The check in time is at 3PM at the hotel and you had to wait 1 hour (actually not 2 but this is not normal, we agree on it). I am deeply sorry but we had some issues due to other Guests who did not want to leave on time. Even if, I understand that "it is not your concern", I wanted to explain to you what happened. You should have met me and we would have discussed the matter and I would have made you spend a good moment with your wife.
As for the 20 USD, we checked and you had a single reservation. Then to pass it to double occupancy, the rate is the correct one. We both understand that it is not possible to reserve for one and come two for the same rate.
The internet was slow last week but not due to the hotel but to the company who is having problems in the whole country at the moment. Nevertheless, it works well for mail, social websites and even for small streaming.

Please next time, do not doubt to come to me and I will make your stay a great experience.

Kuttawa, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I went several months ago, so I'm comparing my experience to that. Went back for a one-night stay and really enjoyed the trip. Check-in went smoothly and perfectly. The room was clean and comfortable, the TV worked great, and the breakfast buffet was good. Only two minor complaints: ran out of melon on the buffet, and could not get a cup of coffee from any of the servers. But the food was good and lots of variety to choose from. So I'll definitely return. Plus, the location is AWESOME.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Slow hotel internet connection constantly drops out - subpar for a business hotel at this price. Cheaper hotels in town have faster connections if this is important. Rooms are basically ok, but a bit old and worn. Service is disinterested, and the atmosphere is impersonal.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
H2974, Director General at Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Holgs,

Thank you for taking the time to comment about our hotel as opinions allow us to improve always.

Regarding the internet, we have a correct internet connexion depending what you want to do with it. It is important to explain that it is free and allows to check mails, social pages, even watch some streaming. Indeed, it is slow if you start using it to download heavy files, movies or music ; this is not the purpose.
I am sad to read that the atmosphere is impersonal as this is what we are trying to provide to our Guests here. Indeed, the hotel is not a "charming hotel" but the rates are according to the product. The location is a big plus and usually, we have very good comments about the friendlyness of the staff. I am truly sorry that you did not share this experience.
Do not hesitate to contact me directly for your next stay, you will understand that we sincerely receive our Guests with pleasure.

Director
NORTH CHARLESTON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Great hotel...small rooms yet clean and
The hotel is right in the middle of things...
Walk down Conde, great restaurants and in the historic zona colonial...hotel and restaurant staff went out of their way.to help and the taxis in front are friendly and fair....and there is even free WiFi...Add to all this that Bon Icecream is right outside on Conde ....Even the manager checked up on us...
Muchas.gracias hotel Mercure!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This hotel is very conveniently located, in a closed long street called "El Conde". Places close by to change money, eat, shop and walk for sightseeing. Well patrolled area so it is safe. Food in hotel restaurant is good and cheap. The rooms are small but have a fridge in them. Supermarket less than a 100 yards away. However, water pressure in shower is poor and the WiFi is slow.

Room Tip: Ask for interior room not facing the traffic street or the pedestrian street.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Belo Horizonte, MG
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The hotel is situated in the middle of colonial city where you can feel the history walking in the streets.
The hotel is near of restaurants, near the sea, has a wonderful breakfast, very good and clean rooms

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo? Share your experiences!