“Great with central location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo

Save Saved
You added Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo to your Saves list
Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle El Conde Esquina Hostos | Ciudad Colonial, Santo Domingo 10210, Dominican Republic (Zona Colonial)   |
Ranked #39 of 74 hotels in Santo Domingo
NORTH CHARLESTON
“Great with central location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Great hotel...small rooms yet clean and
The
hotel is right in the middle of things...
Walk down Conde, great restaurants and in the historic zona colonial...hotel and restaurant staff went out of their way.to help and the taxis in front are friendly and fair....and there is even free WiFi...Add to all this that Bon Icecream is right outside on Conde ....Even the manager checked up on us...
Muchas.gracias hotel Mercure!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013

301 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This hotel is very conveniently located, in a closed long street called "El Conde". Places close by to change money, eat, shop and walk for sightseeing. Well patrolled area so it is safe. Food in hotel restaurant is good and cheap. The rooms are small but have a fridge in them. Supermarket less than a 100 yards away. However, water pressure in shower is poor and the WiFi is slow.

Room Tip: Ask for interior room not facing the traffic street or the pedestrian street.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Belo Horizonte, MG
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The hotel is situated in the middle of colonial city where you can feel the history walking in the streets.
The hotel is near of restaurants, near the sea, has a wonderful breakfast, very good and clean rooms

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I stayed at the Mercure last spring for a night while we were down there from Georgian College (Barrie & Owen Sound, Ontario) on a nursing mission trip. The rooms were nice and comfortable, down to the little details. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. My friend Lindsay and I sat at the bar and had a drink before bed and had some snacks as well. We kept talking after the trip about how friendly and fun the one server 'Suny' was during our stay and how much she made our night at the hotel. Thanks again Suny! Hope all is well with you!

Rebecca
Wright

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed at the Mecure about 3 times for a total of about 6 nights in a 12 day period. I went to the room and it smelled musty. I went to the front desk and asked about this. The person at the desk acted as though they had no idea of what I was talking about. She let me check out several rooms, but all of them had a smell. I went out and bought a room deodorizer and that helped some. I selected a room in the back corner of the 3rd floor and it was quiet and as others have mentioned the air conditioning does provide very cold air in great quantities. That was OK with me. The shower is a “step” up and with the slick tiles be a little careful getting in and out. There was a wide variety of channels on the old model TV. Good Wi-Fi in the rooms.

The rooms vary a bit in upkeep. On one stay I had an interior room on the 5th floor and I thought that was the best room I stayed in (little or no smell). There is a refrigerator in each room. I found the breakfast pretty good. I thought the pastries were very nice. The other meals I ate there were average. I find El Conde a little bit seedy. Not much the hotel can do about that. I felt the hotel itself was pretty secure. I would have stayed there more nights, but on weekends it seemed to be booked up. Some of the staff understands little or no English, but usually there is someone who can sort things out.

Room Tip: No smoking rooms are the upper floors.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
H2974, Director General at Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear JimRayS,

I fully appreciate your comments which are objective.

Indeed, the hotel is 30 years old (Trujillo period) and some ajustments need to be made. We are still working on many project and I am actually glad to see your comment not mentioning old issues we used to have. We will "kill" the left ones soon.

I would be my pleasure to meet you during your next stay and do not hesitate to ask for me.

Sao Paulo, SP
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My wife and I did not stay at this hotel in Santo Domingo, but we went to its restaurant for a lunch. We ordered from the menu the maitre had given to us. Prices were a bit expensive, but ok. The food tasted really well. When we asked for the bill, it was way more expensive than it should be. I called the maitre and he tried to explain that saying that now the prices were with the taxes. Even so, it was more expensive than it should be. I asked for the menu again. What a suprise! The maitre brought to us another menu, with prices higher than the ones in the menu we had ordered from! Incredible! So, just an advice: if you happen to have lunch there, keep the menu during your meal.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
H2974, Gerente at Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Mr DanielHelene,

Thank you for your comment. Nevertheless, I was extremely surprised for one part of the comment and extremely disappointed for another one. Let me explain myself :

In Dominican Republic, the rates on the menus appear without taxes and service. The legal taxes are 18% (Itbis : Dominican VAT) and 10% of service. If it is normal to present the prices without taxes, it is mandatory to write on the menu that they are not included ; in our restaurant, this is mentioned in 3 languages. This is the part, I am disappointed that nobody explained it to you. It was obviously the same in other restaurants you might have had lunch or dinner.

The part I was extremely surprised is the difference you mentionned between two menus with different prices. I checked myself and changed the menus myself. There is (I am completely positive on this point) only one menu in the restaurant.

I regret I could not meet you during your visit and I hope that you will introduce yourself so we can talk about the matter.

Director.
Puerto Plata
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I booked for one night but I was not sure if my girlfriend would be able to stay over so I only made the reservation for myself (no breakfast). In fact she was able to make it but the receptionist insisted on an extra $20 for her to stay. I checked the online booking and if I had made the reservation for double occupancy (also no breakfast) it would have cost me about $6 extra, not $20. Together we did not cost the hotel one cent more than if I had stayed on my own. Accor have asked me for my feedback and I am here to say that I will not be back at the Mercure Santo Domingo because I feel ripped off.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
H2974, Director General at Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Mr Seascape1972,

I heard about your experience at the front office. My understanding is that your reservation was for 1 person with no breakfast and you wanted to use the room for 2 persons with breakfast. Put this way, it looks obvious that it cannot be the same rate and the receptionist applied the proper conditions.
You are talking about the difference between buying on Expedia and buying at the hotel. It is indeed very different and it would be long, nevertheless a pleasure, to explain the market process.
What is very important is you to be sure that you have been applied the correct rate for an additional person in the room and I am sorry you felt that way. Nowaday, it is essential to make the difference between "buying on site" and "buying on internet", wether it is a hotel or a camera.
I wish I could meet you to discuss further this unfortunate feeling and hope to see you again to do it.

Director

Been to Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo? Share your experiences!