“Poor Service and Facilities” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo

You added Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo to your Saves list
Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle El Conde Esquina Hostos | Ciudad Colonial, Santo Domingo 10210, Dominican Republic (Zona Colonial)   |
Ranked #37 of 76 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Christiansted, St. Croix
“Poor Service and Facilities”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times in the past but I would never stay there again. Starting with the check in where the clerk did not understand what to do and was very disorganized. The restraurant food was poor quality and you had to get up and ask to have basic service. The so called Maitre D' blatantly tried to scam 500 pesos. They unilaterally charged a higher price than what was quoted. They blocked my credit card for 10,000 pesos I paid in cash and several days later the block has not been removed.

Room Tip: Do not stay at the Mercure there are better choices.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
H2974, Gerente at Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Pete W,

Dear Pazzallo,

Thank you for your comment to help us improve. I wish I could have met you during your stay to know more of what you did not like about the food. Repetitive Guests is a huge part of our business and they usually say that the food is good at the Mercure. Sometimes, they make suggestion and our menu and presentations are improving with each comment we get. It would have been good to make you part of this process!
As for the deposit, I think there is a confusion as the hotel procedure is indeed to take a deposit of 1000 RD per night. This deposit is a garantee and no more than an authorization (common practice in the USA but not so much in Europe, it is true. In Santo Domingo, most of the hotel have the same policy) and the hotel never charge this deposit. At check out, the deposit is cancelled and from then, maybe the bank did not release on time. Unfortunately, we cannot do anything about it as it is not anymore between our hands.
I hope I will have the opportunity to meet you soon and to talk about your unfortunate experience.

Do not hesitate to contact me at h2974-gm@accor.com.

Pierre Bignalet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Lugano, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Service = non existent. At front desk nobody says hello, ever. In the restaurant the service staff seem to be paid to talk to each other. You could sit for a long time without being served. Which in a way might also be an advantage, at least no money is pent. At breakfast one needs to run after coffee. Unfortunately coffee, tea and milk is not self-service, therefore it is quite difficult to get without running after staff members.
The restaurant is always empty except for breakfast, which is understandable under the circumstances.
I guess that the hotel cannot afford to train their staff members and supervisors, if any, are paid to look elsewhere.
It also seems that none of the staff members speaks a word in another language except Spanish which would be OK in a backpackers place but not in a hotel belonging to an international chain.

Dear Pazzallo,

It is always good for us to get a feedback even when the perception is not good. Indeed, usually, we have very good comments about the staff, most of them speak english and even french. As for the restaurant, it is usually full for lunch time and at night, it is working quite well.
I am not tying to unvalidate your comments, I just regret sincerely that your experience was not up to your expectation and also regret that we haven´t met at that time to talk about it and give us the chance to improve your stay. Unfortunately, in service business, we cannot go back in time and I wish I would have the opportunity in the future to meet you to change the perception of our hotel which is more like a family atmosphere normaly.

Do not hesitate to contact me at h2974-gm@accor.com.

Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Clean hotel with good and reliable taxi services. hotel food is not too bad, prices are reasonable. the welcoming at the reception was not very nice, which surprised me, as the hotel does have a good reputation in town. If you have a connecting flight via the Isabel airport, it is only 30 minutes away from that airport. The restaurant in front of the front is recommended by the staff, however our presence was not even acknowledged there, so we left after 20 minutes. Instead, we had a lovely and less expensive meal at another local restaurant around the corner.

Room Tip: No swimming pool, sorry, couldn't erase the evaluation, clicked on by mistake! Thanks for taking...
Punta Cana, La Altagracia, Dominican Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

To start off I am a dominican who has lived all her life between Santo Domingo and Punta Cana but recently I decided to shake things up by staying at a hotel rather than visiting my mothers house for the weekend. After much researching, I picked this hotel because of it's location. I love the Colonial Zone and this location is just 1 block away from the Cathedral (for sightseeing), The Hard Rock Cafe Santo Domingo and many other small restaurants/bars within literally STEPS away from the front door.

My experience with the hotel itself was good. Everybody from the security guard up-front to the waiter who delivered my room service was friendly, they looked eager and happy to make your stay a good one. My check-in process was flawless, Santos gave me my key right away and I proceeded to take a look at my room. I took a standard and (like most things) it looked way bigger in the pictures. The bed AMAZING, mind you, I went to sleep, thats it. A/C kept my room freezing cold (loved that!!!) and with Cable TV and room service? Please... best 1 night vacation i'ved had all my life!!

As for what I'd like to see differently on my next stay? Toiletries would be nice. Also, when I ordered room service, the menu they have in the room doesn't give you many options, you can always order from the restaurant downstairs and they can bring it to your room, so a copy of that menu in the bedroom would be nice. I guess, that's about it!

For what I wanted I'd say I got my money's worth. I would stay there again, 1 or 2 nights tops.

Room Tip: I'd say go with an interior bedroom, there are several bars in the area that are open until late...
Kuttawa, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

At check-in, I had to wait while one woman argued with a customer as three other people watched. No one acknowledged me until the argument was resolved -- amicably, I might add. After that, check-in was fine and I was able to go to my room.

The room was standard, with some nice touches that showed that the staff pay attention to details. But the room needed a bit of work: it smelled humid and a bit musty, like my aunt's basement used to. The television would not turn off after I turned it on: I ended up sleeping with it on (with the sound down) for the two nights I was there. I had an issue with the key card: after four trips to the front desk, an unhappy desk clerk who had already admonished me about letting my keycard come into contact with my cell phone asked another person to speak with me. She went up to my room and discovered that the battery in the card reader was bad. The maid ended up letting me in and explained that the problem would be resolved before I returned from lunch - and it was. The air conditioning worked perfectly. The water pressure and temperature in the shower were beyond my comprehension: one second I had hot water with lots of pressure, the next I had cold water with no pressure.

Breakfast was included, and I found the selection excellent. I especially liked the different breads and pastries. Service was a bit lacking, as the first morning, I could not get a cup of coffee. The second day was much better. I went back to the restaurant one evening, and the service disappeared. I ended up going inside to pay my bill.

Check-out was very easy and pleasant. No hidden costs, no hassles.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the courtyard were very quiet, and I was able to get a good sleep.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
H2974, Director General at Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. Your opinion is fair and balanced and we will take all the suggestions (we will take them as such) to keeping working and improving.

Do not hesitate to contact me during your next stay!

Director
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

This is my second visit to the Mercure Comercial. I had previously stayed in September 2006, while I believe it was run by different hotel chain. It is now an Accor hotel.

I saw the pics from the room online and it looked like new furniture and much nicer rooms with descriptions that made me believe it was a totally renovated hotel, so despite my previous experience, I booked one night.

Yes, our room had newer and nicer furniture and bedding than my previous experience. Yet, be aware, the description of beds with pillow-top mattress is incorrect. Our twin beds were hard as hell and no pillow-top mattress.

The bathroom was in very poor condition, peeled paint and dirty walls, and worse, a very old toilet seat painted over with peeled paint. I could not even tell whether it was clean before our arrival or not. Pretty disgusting.

Room description also says "complimentary toiletries". These are limited to a couple of small soap bars and shampoo, but bring other toiletries. Ladies you'll need a shower cap. Nice quality towels were highly appreciated though.

Cleanliness of the room was okay except for the bathroom, hard to tell. Cleanliness of common areas was so so, including a pretty dirty elevator floor.

Noise level was very bad. We got a room looking to El Conde street; that was not so bad but the disco music from the bars around made for a very long night and lack of good restful sleep.

The restaurant is very nice and the included breakfast bar, while nothing exceptional, had a good choice of breads, fruits and warm dishes. Service at the restaurant was excellent.

My rating reflects value compared with similar priced hotels in the Colonial zone.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing inside towards the courtyard.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
H2974, General Manager at Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your comments, they are always good to help us to improse our services.

Somehow, I was glad to see your comments about new furnitures! Only the matresses have been changed in 2009. I think that the difference which made you think that some furnitures had been changed is actually the change of paint ; we found a lighter color ; so I am happy that the whole rooms looks better now!
We are working on the maintenance of some bathrooms and we are almost finished, unfortunately, you apparently got an old one ; during your next stay, you would experience something different. Indeed, the bathroom looked dirty even clean.
In front of the hotel, there is an establishment which is used for events, and usually more for seminars that night events. I am sorry to see that you had one of those noisy events. We are in negociation with them to stop this indeed and it should be soon.
Finally, it is nice to read that you appreciated the service of the team because we have wonderful employees, very helpful and working as a family ; it is good you could appreciate it.

Best regards,

Been to Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo? Share your experiences!