“Not so good” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo

You added Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo to your Saves list
Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle El Conde Esquina Hostos | Ciudad Colonial, Santo Domingo 10210, Dominican Republic (Zona Colonial)   |
Ranked #35 of 76 Hotels in Santo Domingo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Punta Cana, La Altagracia, Dominican Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

To start off I am a dominican who has lived all her life between Santo Domingo and Punta Cana but recently I decided to shake things up by staying at a hotel rather than visiting my mothers house for the weekend. After much researching, I picked this hotel because of it's location. I love the Colonial Zone and this location is just 1 block away from the Cathedral (for sightseeing), The Hard Rock Cafe Santo Domingo and many other small restaurants/bars within literally STEPS away from the front door.

My experience with the hotel itself was good. Everybody from the security guard up-front to the waiter who delivered my room service was friendly, they looked eager and happy to make your stay a good one. My check-in process was flawless, Santos gave me my key right away and I proceeded to take a look at my room. I took a standard and (like most things) it looked way bigger in the pictures. The bed AMAZING, mind you, I went to sleep, thats it. A/C kept my room freezing cold (loved that!!!) and with Cable TV and room service? Please... best 1 night vacation i'ved had all my life!!

As for what I'd like to see differently on my next stay? Toiletries would be nice. Also, when I ordered room service, the menu they have in the room doesn't give you many options, you can always order from the restaurant downstairs and they can bring it to your room, so a copy of that menu in the bedroom would be nice. I guess, that's about it!

For what I wanted I'd say I got my money's worth. I would stay there again, 1 or 2 nights tops.

Room Tip: I'd say go with an interior bedroom, there are several bars in the area that are open until late...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Kuttawa, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

At check-in, I had to wait while one woman argued with a customer as three other people watched. No one acknowledged me until the argument was resolved -- amicably, I might add. After that, check-in was fine and I was able to go to my room.

The room was standard, with some nice touches that showed that the staff pay attention to details. But the room needed a bit of work: it smelled humid and a bit musty, like my aunt's basement used to. The television would not turn off after I turned it on: I ended up sleeping with it on (with the sound down) for the two nights I was there. I had an issue with the key card: after four trips to the front desk, an unhappy desk clerk who had already admonished me about letting my keycard come into contact with my cell phone asked another person to speak with me. She went up to my room and discovered that the battery in the card reader was bad. The maid ended up letting me in and explained that the problem would be resolved before I returned from lunch - and it was. The air conditioning worked perfectly. The water pressure and temperature in the shower were beyond my comprehension: one second I had hot water with lots of pressure, the next I had cold water with no pressure.

Breakfast was included, and I found the selection excellent. I especially liked the different breads and pastries. Service was a bit lacking, as the first morning, I could not get a cup of coffee. The second day was much better. I went back to the restaurant one evening, and the service disappeared. I ended up going inside to pay my bill.

Check-out was very easy and pleasant. No hidden costs, no hassles.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the courtyard were very quiet, and I was able to get a good sleep.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
H2974, Director General at Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. Your opinion is fair and balanced and we will take all the suggestions (we will take them as such) to keeping working and improving.

Do not hesitate to contact me during your next stay!

Best regards,

Pierre Bignalet
Director
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

This is my second visit to the Mercure Comercial. I had previously stayed in September 2006, while I believe it was run by different hotel chain. It is now an Accor hotel.

I saw the pics from the room online and it looked like new furniture and much nicer rooms with descriptions that made me believe it was a totally renovated hotel, so despite my previous experience, I booked one night.

Yes, our room had newer and nicer furniture and bedding than my previous experience. Yet, be aware, the description of beds with pillow-top mattress is incorrect. Our twin beds were hard as hell and no pillow-top mattress.

The bathroom was in very poor condition, peeled paint and dirty walls, and worse, a very old toilet seat painted over with peeled paint. I could not even tell whether it was clean before our arrival or not. Pretty disgusting.

Room description also says "complimentary toiletries". These are limited to a couple of small soap bars and shampoo, but bring other toiletries. Ladies you'll need a shower cap. Nice quality towels were highly appreciated though.

Cleanliness of the room was okay except for the bathroom, hard to tell. Cleanliness of common areas was so so, including a pretty dirty elevator floor.

Noise level was very bad. We got a room looking to El Conde street; that was not so bad but the disco music from the bars around made for a very long night and lack of good restful sleep.

The restaurant is very nice and the included breakfast bar, while nothing exceptional, had a good choice of breads, fruits and warm dishes. Service at the restaurant was excellent.

My rating reflects value compared with similar priced hotels in the Colonial zone.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing inside towards the courtyard.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
H2974, General Manager at Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your comments, they are always good to help us to improse our services.

Somehow, I was glad to see your comments about new furnitures! Only the matresses have been changed in 2009. I think that the difference which made you think that some furnitures had been changed is actually the change of paint ; we found a lighter color ; so I am happy that the whole rooms looks better now!
We are working on the maintenance of some bathrooms and we are almost finished, unfortunately, you apparently got an old one ; during your next stay, you would experience something different. Indeed, the bathroom looked dirty even clean.
In front of the hotel, there is an establishment which is used for events, and usually more for seminars that night events. I am sorry to see that you had one of those noisy events. We are in negociation with them to stop this indeed and it should be soon.
Finally, it is nice to read that you appreciated the service of the team because we have wonderful employees, very helpful and working as a family ; it is good you could appreciate it.

Best regards,
Fords, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

My husband & I go to DR at least once a year & have stayed at different hotels.We stayed here for a week in September 2012. Clean, good air conditioning in rooms & great hot water. The bed in the single room is huge. The programing on television is very varied. Totally insect free. Their hot & cold buffet style breakfast is outstanding. All items used are Grade A. The staff is very friendly, knowledgeable & helpful. Does not have a parking lot on premises, but if you rent a vehicle, plenty of parking on surrounding streets. We always parked across the street in front of the hotel. The security staff is very diligent & accommodating to the hotel guests. The mini bar is fully stocked & the pricing of the items is within reason. We did not use it because we have family & friends over there & we always went out with them. Within walking distance of the colonial zone and the shopping area known as "El Conde". We will definitely be repeat customers.

Room Tip: The top floors are very quiet...not alot of traffic. Suggest include breakfast if no other meal.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mrs,

Nice to see that your stay was so great!

Thank you for this five stars comment and regards from the whole team!
Barcelona, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

It is located on the main pedestrian street of the colonial quarter. handy for walking through the old city. Rooms are ok but nothing special. Ver very damp but that's not something the continuous effort of the maids to turn AC full on actually can contain. Breakfast is good enough, especially if you are a fruit lover. The internet in the building works funny and for some reason my laptop died right in this hotel...

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I arrived at Hotel Mercure Comercial around dawn due to a significantly delayed overnight flight. At the front desk I was warmly greeted by Santos, who not only expressed empathy for my ordeal but ensured that I knew of the daily breakfast buffet, as well as their lively weekly Thursday night "Noche Dominicana" performances. Once checked in, I went up to my room where I was pleasantly surprised by its beautifully simple but striking decor, design and layout. I was oddly taken aback by the frigid air blowing from the AC unit above. I was happy to see that my room was equipped with essentials such as a TV (albiet an older model), telephone, touch key safe, and a small refrigerator which doubled as a mini-bar. The bath/washroom area was nicely upgraded and adequately stocked with towels and wash cloth. However, the shower stall is elevated; therefore anyone standing above 6ft 3ins tall would find it very uncomfortable showering. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Hotel Mercure and would definitely return there in the future. I loved its location in the heart of the colonial zone, at a corner street no less, plus a block away from Jumbo supermarket. I loved its close proximity to calle las Damas, el parque Colon, el Malecon and many other tourist attractions. I also loved that the front desk staff and supervisors were bilingual. I loved the cleanliness of the property, the scrumptious breakfast buffet, as well as the very entertaining "Noche Dominicana" show. Combine those factors with the friendliness and harmonious relationship between employees and guests make this property an ideal place for every type of traveler. No doubt it has clearly exceeded my expectations!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo? Share your experiences!