“My favorite hotel in Santo Domingo” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo

You added Hotel Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo to your Saves list
Hotel Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida George Washington 218, Santo Domingo 02890, Dominican Republic (Formerly Hotel V Centenario InterContinental)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #13 of 76 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Washington, DC
“My favorite hotel in Santo Domingo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2009

I've been staying here for about 9 years. I've seen the wonderful renovations that the hotel undertook a few years ago. The beds are incredibly comfortable/luxurious. Great rooms (suites have balconies facing the Caribbean Sea) and great service. Location is excellent for city lovers. 24hr room service and great lounge on the top floor, if you qualify, and great restaurant on the 2nd floor. More benefits if you become an InterContinental Ambassador member (best hotel program around but you pay a nominal fee).

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

I stayed in this hotel 5 nights. The room was a good size, comfortable. Since day 1 the room phone did not work and called several times to have it fixed and they did not even show up to check it out. The safe deposit box did not work for two days in a row until I insisted they sent a person to fix it. He had to come twice in order to get it to work. I did not enjoy the lobby area. The bar, the cafe are very noisy since they are right there in the lobby, no walls, nothing. All the noise from the casino makes the lobby not a popular area to hang out. The hotel needs to diversify the breakfast they offer. Every single morning it was the same options in the buffet all over again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Greenville, SC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

Not top of the line like you would expect Intercontinental to be. I felt safe, front desk was nice, food was fine. It has a Casino next door that is attached to the hotel and it is smoke free. Rooms were fine, carpet at entrance was wore down and a little dingy but tolerable. A/C worked great, that is a must for me.....

Overall all good deal for a business traveler...not sure I would stay there if I were on a Vacation....Fitness center and pool were nice and had a great view of the Ocean across the street from the Hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

I'm writing this review on my 2 year experience with this hotel, traveling in and out of the country and having the opportunity to stay at other hotels in Santo Domingo, I can say that V Centenario is among Santo Domingo's best.

I've stayed at this hotel more than 8 times in a 2 year span when I traveled down to Santo Domingo. I usually stay at my mother in laws house, but whenever my wife and I want to have our own time, we usually book the V Centenario.

We have stayed in the suites and regular rooms, and I have nothing but good things to say about this hotel. Room service is excellent they'll bring your food in carts or big platters, parking is available down in the hotel's basement (yes there is security), you're able to change dollars or euros in the front desk, the suites have a beautiful view of the ocean, the rooms in the suite have a balcony to which you can access just by unlocking and sliding the glass door, very clean rooms, TV programming is local, european, and american television, the room safe is free, every A/C always worked, the restaurant food is a bit pricey but good food, internet access, the bar in the lobby serves up some good drinks yes also a bit pricey, the suites are beautiful they have 2 bathrooms, a living room with a big window facing the ocean, huge beds, balcony.

I read a review of someone saying that they were robbed by people on a moped, the way the person makes it seem as if Santo Domingo is a city crawling with criminals and you can never go outside, and that you'll get killed just by stepping inside a THIRD WORLD COUNTRY!!!

I'm sorry to burst that person's bubble but crime is everywhere, let's not forget the many tourist that have been murdered in major american cities, many have been robbed, and many have had a very bad experience in the streets of such cities like New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Houston etc.

So may I remind everyone that reads my review, santo domingo is like every other city in the world, it has it's good and bad side. i have been going there for over 2 years, I have never been robbed, I have never had a bad experience, nothing! Let me say that I'm not Dominican either.

Overall V Centenario is a wonderful hotel, some people are just to picky and want a 5 star hotel for $89 a night with champagne, lobster, caviar included in the price. The staff is very friendly, I never argued with any staff members over some "charge" of the mini bar or credit card, as a matter of fact I befriended much of the staff.

Just use common sense, if you're new to the city well try not to call attention to yourself, if you're new to the hotel be polite and leave the typical american attitude in the U.S. that most of us are known for.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Managua
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2009

The hotel was basically fine. We were on a business trip but hoping, of course, to enjoy some of Santo Domingo while we were there. The reservations indicated "Sea View" and said there was a nearby beach. The hotel is across a highway from the water, and none of us (we had 4 rooms) really had a great view, although if we stood right near the window and looked south we could, in fact, see the water. There was no beach anywhere in Santo Domingo that we saw. The water there is absolutely filthy due to the entry of the river right there, and the fact that people dump trash etc in the river. The rooms were small.

Good points: The hotel was clean, the service was fantastic except at breakfast, and the food was good except the tiramisu. Internet service worked flawlessly (and is free) everywhere I tried it.

One more small complaint: I was charged about $20 for the breakfast buffet when all I ate was a muffin, a half-piece of bread and some fruit. I thought it was included in the room rate (which was why I went there), especially when I entered and all they did was ask me my room number. Partly my fault, I suppose, for not asking- but still.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2009

It was a very nice stay, for me and my friends. Staff in Front Desk and Concierge was very kind and usefull attending all our needs.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2009

My recent stay at InterContinental was wonderful. Client service was excellent and food was very good. Any inquiry I had was inmediately satisfied.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo? Share your experiences!