“Very good standard but not in the most convenient location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo

Save Saved
You added Hotel Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo to your Saves list
Hotel Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida George Washington 218, Santo Domingo 02890, Dominican Republic (Formerly Hotel V Centenario InterContinental)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #11 of 74 hotels in Santo Domingo
Bangkok, Thailand
“Very good standard but not in the most convenient location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

The hotel is a very good standard like all holiday inn and continental group. The rooms are spacious, modern, with very comfortable beds. The rooms with a view on the ocean are particularly nice. The only issue is the location since area of the Malecon is very quite with no restaurants or bars. Better to be in the city center or closer to the historical area.

Room Tip: The rooms with the ocean view
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

335 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012 via mobile

Location and nearby stuff to do makes it really enjoyable

• Stayed January 2012
Grand Cayman
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

Overall a good hotel. It is only 30 minutes from the Las Americas airport and centrally located close to main shops, attractions and beaches.

The front desk staff and concierge spoke english which was a plus! Francisco at the Business Service is FANTASTIC! The staff truly bend backward to accommodate and ensure that you are comfortable and happy.

Three things:

1. We purchased beach view on Expedia but it truly isn't worth it as the Hotel isn't really on the beach! You get a view of the Ocean but for the extra dollars spent it isn't really worth it.

2. I usually do not go to hair salon's while I am on vacation but had a hair emergency and so tried out their salon. When I went in I asked the price and was told $25. By the time the lady finished with my hair she charged me a whopping $105. The hotel gave me back the money as I was pretty upset but I also learnt that the salon is rented out and does not belong to the hotel. But it is such a horrible experience and truly takes away from this hotel which has a good recognizable brand name.

3. I didn't really like the male and female toilets in the room (we were on fl 8)....

Room Tip: If you are like me and do not like male and female toilets then request for a different room.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

We spent over a week in this hotel and were very pleased with everything.
We found the location to be excellent, colonial district is within walking distance and we also liked to stroll by the sea which is right outside the hotel.
The hotel isn't what one expects from Intercontinentals, because it is old. Especially the casino on the same premises just looked dodgy. However, service is nice (we managed perfectly in english), the food was delicious and our room was always clean. Also, loved the pool area and free gym. It also has a tennis court in the back.
Upon arriving we were offered access to the executive lounge for 40 dollars/day. We decided to take it and got upgraded into a big suite with a balcony and "free" breakfasts. We also spent almost every day at the executive lounge having coffee and cakes and drinks and a light dinner during happy hour. All was included in the 40 dollars we payed, it was totally worth it.
We tried the hotels restaurant once for dinner, food was ok, nothing mind blowing, but no real complaints either. The price was probably a bit higher on the local level but for us not too bad: around 30 dollars/ person for starter, main course, desert and drink. During the daytime we also bought something to drink at the hotels gift shop: soft drinks were only 1 dollar/ bottle.
Santo Domingo is a lively city and cars drive by the hotel day and night honking their horns. We stayed on the third level with our bedroom on the sea side. It didn't bother us, but a lighter sleeper might find it really annoying.
Also during our last evening, there was a problem with the electricity in our room. The bathroom light wouldn't turn on and neither would the ac. We had to leave early in the morning so we offered to stay in the room, since it was getting late, but the nice lady at the front desk refused to let us spend the night without any ac. She sent a guy to help us move our stuff right across the corridor so we would be more comfortable.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 6 days and thanks god I was only going to sleep late at night and leave early every morning . I do appreciate that all my request were taken into consideration by the concierge Eddy which gave me an awesome customer service days before arriving.

The room i got on the 8th floor had a great view but the rest was a complete disaster, it is decadent and emanates a very bad smell due that the carpet is very old and im absolutely sure it has never been washed before. There were cockroaches around and over the toilet "DISGUSTING". The inside door frame of the toilet is eaten by termites. I'm still not sure if i was staying at an Intercontinental Brand or at an Insect hatchery. The shower is so old that it looks like if you are taking a bath with a firefighters hose. There is a coffee maker inside the room but there is no way to get the filter after asking for one twice to a lady that seems to be the maid's supervisor.

I always address myself towards others with politeness and respect and you expect the same from the staff , but My friend who was a guest too was mistreated by the receptionist Hanner and his arrogant aptitude when asked to be transferred to my room extension and within 2 seconds in hold he hung up at the first call by saying I wasn't in the room when 10 minutes before i was accompanied until my room door , and at the second try , the same receptionist full of contradictions and lies said to my friend that he did not hung up the call..., just to think about it makes me sick due that your level expectancy of a good customer service is high at this kind of place. There is no justification of any kind to receive a mistreatment like this.

The quality of sleep is terrible due that first, there's a lot of noise coming out of the Main avenue in front of the hotel , and one night there were a car alarm activated on the next door parking for more than a half an hour, just annoying at that time of the night, and in a room that should have some kind of noise isolation system, it' s kind of frustrating.

One day when going up to the room, the elevator stopped at the 7th floor and there are major renovations going on there, if i would be advised of this before, I would not have booked the hotel, due that the security measures for the asbestos inhalation risk don't seems to be taken in place.

The only positive point is that the save box, wi-fi, and parking lot service are free.

I left that place with a very bad experience, its frustrating for the choice i made when reserving a place like this, people should be aware of this situation.

Hope my review helps you out with your travel plans before booking. There are plenty of places in Sto domingo with higher quality at the same rate.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

I stayed here for a couple months in 2010 and the overall experience was really great. The staff are SO pleasant and helpful and kind. The food is very good and has a lot of variety of choices. The rooms are VERY large and very quiet and clean. I stayed on the lower floors (3rd floor), middle floors (level 7), and upper floors (level 11)...and they were all very, very nice. I actually liked the lower floors the best as they offered a better ground view of the caribbean sea. The bonus of the 11th floor is your own private outdoor balcony.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Hi,

I have stayed to this hotel 2 weeks on September of 2011 and it was spectacular. The service is of 5 stars, the food was excellent, so many things to choose from. The location is also great, you have the sea in front of the hotel, superb view even during meal time, as you can eat and watch the sea. The bed is enormouse, and you have a remote control for it so you can set it as you like. The bathroom is large and the room looks like a big house living room (it has the bed the plasma TV a desk to work at, a table with armchairs).
I would defenetly go there the second time.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo? Share your experiences!