“WOW” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aparta Hotel Roma

Save Saved
You added Aparta Hotel Roma to your Saves list
Aparta Hotel Roma
Calle El Conde # 206 corner Avenida Duarte, Santo Domingo 10210 , Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #26 of 45 Santo Domingo B&B and Inns
Toronto
“WOW”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

I strongly recommend this hotel...I stayed in the Hotel Roma 2 (El Conde/19 de Marzo Street), in the middle of Octobre 2011, for about 12 days. Please mention the address when you're booking, so you can get the right one, but if you prefer more conservative deco, go to HOTEL ROMA 1 ( the old one).
The hotel is really nice, very modern, with friendly and professional employees ( they don't talk too much, as part of respect guests privacy, wich I loved it).The location is 100% good, in the heart of everything! I visited the Hotel Roma 1 (which is located very close by), and the service is the same, the only difference is that is not as modern as the one I stay. It is more classic, comparing to this one (decoration only).
It was not a problem to receive visitors, as long they have an ID to leave with the front desk agent in duty (for security reasons). The rooms are very nice and clean, comfortable beds (brand name matresses), and right price, there are cameras in all corridors ( public areas). My first two nights, I spent in one standard room ($45), and it was really nice, then I moved to a suite (next door), and was excellent. The room attendant was extremely friendly ( I was in the first floor room # 106 and the suite #105)...Very clean hotel, but the only thing I dislike is that they do not provide extra towels, and when I asked to change it, they count as serviced room. I felt sad for that ONLY, and I hope they improve it, because it is a very hot city, and people shower many times a day, and yet with visitors...Anyways was not a big deal !
The standard room has internet with cable, flat tv, very nice and modern bathroom, nice and comfortable bed & linen, a modern safe, mini-fridge ( bigger than you can think), very spacious closet with full mirror, and A/C works really well. Bring your personal amenities, such champoo, conditiones and etc...they only provide two bar of soap, toilet paper (2), and two bathtowels each room. there is also no problem with hot/cold water in the room.
It was not my first visit to SANTO DOMINGO, and of course I stayed in some other hotels, but so far this is the best.
Everyone is welcome there, and if you have a cellphone there (like me), they can charge your cellphone right from the front desk. Front desk agent speaks English,French and Spanish.
Please if you are planning to travel to SD, do yourself a favour and try it.
Any concern or question feel free to ask me. Thank you and enjoy your trip!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Orlando, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

Have stayed at Roma I at least 6 times over the past 2 years, maybe more and it is great, in every respect. Then they opened Roma II and everything went downhill. Cannot find reservation at check in and then have to upgrade to a more expensive room, room doors that can open without a key, poorly maintained property, no water, people from the street roaming around the hallways, Haitian workers who don't care and are lazy, receptionist drinking beer at 11am chating in French to coworkers with people waiting to talk to them. The upside, great location and great prices, as long as you are willing to be patient. if you are looking for a 'budget" hotel, it is perfect. With some better management this place could be a 3 star and a winner.

Room Tip: Get a room at Roma 1, and away from the street as the traffic noise is bad.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

I was there only a night but I think the place is nice, well, very nice for the price. Spacious room compared to expensive hotels. Internet in the room, though wired, AC, freezer, cable tv. All that for a cheap price in the colonial zone.

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

For the first time staying at the Roma II, it was okay. The location was great. The staff for the most part was very friendly and accommodating. But besides the elevator not working, the shower leaked water, it was an enjoyable stay. The hotel and the room was clean. The bed was very comfortable. I

Room Tip: Do early online comparison research and ask others
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

On a return trip to one of my favorite vacation spots, Santo Domingo, I stayed at the Roma Hotel again with a twist. They have opened a new location one block away from the first hotel. My friend and I were trying to stay at the first hotel but they booked us into the new location. I must say that was pleasantly surprised even more than on my first visit. This location had modern facilities, decor and was a great improvement over the first location at the same price. I was booked into a single full room which goes for $55/night because they were out of the single rooms. This worked to my advantage because they still charged me $45/night. I had a sofa-love seat and a table that sat 8 in the room. The rooms come with 27in flat screens, a safe, fridge, king size bed, airconditioning, and granite top bathrooms with hot running water. When I say hot I mean scalding. It was strange though because my friend who was on the same floor as I was, got luke warm at best after running the water for 45 minutes. I think it may be the luck of the draw but had I not had hot water, that would not deter me from staying there again. I was very pleased with my stay. The staff was very helpful and accomodating. I can't really say anything negative about it because for $45 bucks a night it was a great deal. The location is still along El Conde', the hotel feels safe and comfortable and I highly recommend it for those visiting.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

I've stayed here 3 times already. I stayed at the new Roma last month and there was no generator, the internet was down most of my trip, and the water was cold. Fortunately, they had a ray of sunshine at the front desk named Yani. She did not tell me what she thought I wanted to hear, she told me the truth and she spoke excellent English. She told me that since the hotel was new, there are some growing pains, but she told me by the time I return to Santo Domingo, which was in another 4 weeks, all would be repaired with the exception of the elevator. The power outage caused my food in the refrigerator to spoil and I needed access to the internet for business purposes.

On my return trip, which was 18-21 March 2011, I decided to stay in the original Roma, off of calle Duarte y El Conde. I went to visit Yani to say hello and she informed me that not only was the generator installed, the internet in the new hotel was now working properly as well. I planned on booking my next visit there at the new hotel.

All went well on my recent visit until I realized that I mistakenly informed the front desk I would be checking out on March 22 instead of March 21. After pointing this out and showing my flight information to multiple front desk personnel, Edmund (or Edwin), was kind enough to speak to his supervisor who was also kind enough to recognize the mistake. Originally they wanted me to take the loss, citing a sentence on the checkin form thta says after payment is received, there are no refunds. However, both Edmund and his supervisor made the right customer decision and offered me a choice of a one day refund, or a free night. I chose the free night and they put it in writing for me.

The nightmare began at checkout. During my stay, it always took me a few seconds to get the safe to open because the knob gave resistance whenever I turned it. Just before I was ready to jump in the car and go to the airport, the safe would not open at all. My passport, wallet, and cell phones were inside. I went to the front desk and maintenance staff had to pull it off the wall and could not get it open. The manager on duty told me that it would cost me 200 pesos for them to take it downstairs to the hardware store to have it opened. They said the reason for this is because the safe worked when I used it before and now it is not working. I HIT THE ROOF. I was pissed. At this point it was 2 hours before my flight was to depart and I'm being hit for money over equipment that I did not break and did not own??!?!?!?! I knew that the owner was in town and asked for him, but they tried to tell me he left town. Sure, like I was supposed to believe he flew in from overseas for a day, then left. Eventually, one of the store employees was able to get the safe open by entering some universal pin number on the keypad (which is a security nightmare of another kind) and the safe opened. I had to pay him for the hotel's ragged piece of a safe.

I travel at least 20 times a year for business and pleasure. I work in the national security field and besides the issue with the safe's keypad having a universal code that anyone with inherent knowledge can enter and crack it open (thus rendering the point of storing anything in the safe useless), I was more disgruntled by the way the situation was handled by management. I probably spend $20,000 - $30,000 in international and domestic travel annually and have never been treated like a pest as opposed to a guest. I have never previously had any problems with the staff at Aparta Roma Hotel, but this last visit makes me want to reconsider ever staying there again. To top it off, I heard a vicious rumor that the beloved Yani - whom many American and European tourists are appreciative to have working there, was fired because the hotel wants to diversify its staff with Dominicans. I applaud this hotel for being one of the few businesses in Santo Domingo that proudly hires hard working, multi-lingual Haitian personnel. However, if this turns out to be true and Yani was indeed fired. I will not spend another dime of my money in this place.

Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Oakland, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

I had read the previous reviews on this hotel and must say that they measured up with the hotel. Great bargain for the location. Environment was safe. The hotel staff were very attentive. The room was spacious, air conditioning worked well, with hot water in the shower, nice closet with safe, fridge was able to accomodate several bottles of water, juice, soda, and bag of ice and bed slept well. I was on the second floor and the wireless internet worked as well as the internet cable. Room was cleaned daily. Can be a little noisey outside with live music playing and lots of talking and laughter but it was not distracting. It's a short walk to historical spots honoring Chrisopher Columbus, the first hospital, Chinatown, gambling casinos and other interesting tourist spots. Taxis are available at the door as well (just make sure you negotiate the price for the ride before sitting down). You have great restaurants in the area that feature authentic Dominican foods as well as a grocery store across the street and a mini department store on the corner. If you want to see how the locals live, this is a great hotel to consider. I would definitely recommend and would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Aparta Hotel Roma? Share your experiences!