“Business Travelers must read my review” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental El Embajador

You added Occidental El Embajador to your Saves list
Occidental El Embajador
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sarasota Avenue 65, Santo Domingo 11211, Dominican Republic   |
Offers & Announcements
Weekend Specials!!
Ranked #6 of 76 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Business Travelers must read my review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My review is for the month of August, when I was working as consultant for the World Bank. It was the worst time to have stayed at this hotel as every dignitary decided this was the place to stay during the DR president's inauguration. I felt that I was lost in the shuffle, and made it known to management; Aurora to be exact, via an email.

Not even a few hours later, she provided me with access to the executive lounge on the 5th floor, which you need to upgrade to if you are a business person. She invited me into her executive office to speak to me. Seriously! She offered to move me to a higher floor when the festivities were done. I ended up not taking her up on that offer as I got settled on the second floor.

A few mentions
1. Wi fi is super fast and the tv has all the channels you are use to in the U.S.
2. The pool area might be the best in the country with some of the best landscaping you will find.
3. Service is classic. I felt like Hyman Roth. Shoe shine kits and sponges every morning!
4. The hotel lobby has a 50's look; playing on it's rich past. Rooms have older furniture, but amenities are modern, and again reliable wI-FI EVERYWHERE and free.!!!
5. If you have any discomfort, management is serious about being attentive. I will take a staff of employees ready to do anything to improve your stay than empty promises from another hotel.
6. Front desk and business lounge staff are all fluent English speakers!
7. They can arrange cars for you and make sure that you aren't over charged.
8. Breakfast was decent. Fruit could have been fresher, but overall good stuff including an omelet bar.

This hotel definitely fits the business traveler. Having meetings here adds a sense of respect and class. You automatically win points with your business counter parts. If you have any issues, check in with management. Although they have a great pool, I am not sure it is super kid friendly. The gym is clean and modern.

Make sure to upgrade to the executive lounge especially if you need to meet with people. I would avoid staying on anything less than the 4th or 5th floor. I did not hear birds in my room, but you could hear them in the front of the hotel.

An English speaking staff makes this a go to place. The casino is ehhhh. No entertainment found in there and it is fairly bare bones. Security is top notch and parking is very easy. Italian and Chinese food restaurants are located right next door along with a salon and spa. McDonald's is down the block.

What started out frustrating in the beginning because of this huge event turned out to be a very comfy stay. I can see why all the dignitaries chose the hotel. Any issues speak with management seriously! It can make all the difference. Your NYC/Cambridge, MA trip adviser! Go crimson!

Room Tip: above or at 4th floor, upgrade if possible.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
aurora147289, Director of Sales at Occidental El Embajador, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Mr. Dion,

First of all I will like to thank you for writing about your experience with us during your stay in the month of august.
It is nice to hear that we met your expectations’ and that our services suited your business travel life.

This positive critic is very valuable for me and for all our staff.

Hoping to receive you again in near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Denton, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed here for a couple of days while in business. It is a hotel I believe from the 50's and you can see some old furniture in the rooms, but with a flat screen TV and and fast wifi. Made me feel in the past with the commodities of the present. Free Wifi makes me a happy camper.
Local calls are expensive, about 2 dollars a minute so watch out.
The restaurant Porche I believe is called, serves great pasta at dinner. The breakfast buffet was ok, I would like to see more local variety.
The pool is beautiful. I also spent some time at the casino where you have a chance to meet the locals and have lots of fun.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
aurora147289, Director of Sales at Occidental El Embajador, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Mr. Bambam.

First of all thanks for writing regarding your stay at Occidental El Embajador in Santo Domingo.
It is my pleasure to inform you that this property was built in 1956 by a Dominican Dictator named Trujillo. We are the most Iconic and Emblematic hotel of the city were most of the Presidents, Princess and artist around the world have stayed.
Overall we are happy that we meet your needs and we hope to host you again in a near future.
Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This hotel has been a great place to stay.

GOOD +++
Stuff is helpful and nice.
Food great.
Shower drain well - I point of this because most hotel problems it this.
Gym has few machines bt works.
Hotel is not new but it is well handle.
High Speed Wi-Fi

BAD ---
Room I was there 406 was with carpet and seems to be never vacum and some parts seems burnst- attached picture .
Room pointing to main entrance has a very birds sounds until late at night .. no bid deal but on te weeked I was there, it was like a party in front of hotel thah did not let me sleep.
Main road to entrance hotel does not have lights at night and appears to be scary. I walked here and does not feel safe ** but I never got any problem and i walked all nights.

Room Tip: Tried to get a non- main hotel entrance view because night parties on weekends will disturb you.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Mr. Juan,

Thank you for choosing Occidental El Embajador in Santo Domingo and for writing about your experience with us.
We are thrilled to hear that most of all we meet your expectations. However regarding some of the points you just mentioned, I am excited to inform you that in January we are starting a total renovation of our rooms and all carpets will be removed.
Also I will like to inform you that El Embajador location is in the most secure neighborhood in the city.

We look forward to seeing you soon
Miami, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Built in 1955, the Occidental El Embajador must have been a stunner, but the look today is very dated.

The first room I was given overlooked the Hotel's Power/Utility facility and the noise was incredibly LOUD, like a city transit bus!

The second room faced the garden/pool and was suitably quiet. The room was large, with a king-size bed and comfy pillows and the bathroom had been remodeled. However, the electrical outlets were worn out and would not retain the plugs for my laptop and phone chargers.

The A/C was fine, and the walk-in closet was large and had an ironing board and a safe for storing valuables. While there was an in-room router providing a very strong WiFi signal, the internet connection was iffy, good one hour then slow or none the next. Ditto for the lobby.

The buffet breakfast was very good, but monotonous after the 2nd day.

I chose this hotel for its proximity to our office, but would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the garden/pool area.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
aurora147289, Director of Sales at Occidental El Embajador, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Mr. Rich,

First and foremost I would like to thank you for Visiting Occidental El Embajador. Please accept my sincere apologies for not covering your expectations during your stay.
As you just mentioned, our property was built in 1956, and we are the Iconic and most Emblematic hotel in the city. At the moment we are starting a complete renovation of our hotel in order to offer a more suitable comfort to our business travelers.
Hoping that someday in near future you can be able to experience the changes will make regarding our rooms.

It will be a pleasure serving you.
Plattsburgh, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed at this hotel on a business trip and was quite sick with a case of the flu while I was there. I was so happy to have fast room service and a good night's sleep at this lovely hotel! I got the rest that I needed before my return trip back to New York. I was also pleasantly surprised by the reasonable cost of room service. The food was fine, but the price was fabulous! I was also happy to have a continental breakfast and fast checkout service all available on my floor. I could have gone downstairs for a hot breakfast, but I wasn't up to it, anyway. This is a great place for a business traveler that is looking for comfort and convenience while in Santo Domingo!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
aurora147289, Director of Sales at Occidental El Embajador, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Mrs. Cat Y,

We would like to thank you for the effort and time you took in sharing your comments surrounding your experience at Occidental El Embajador. We are very happy to know that we met your expectations and that your stay with us was very pleasant.
Once again, thanks for choosing us and hoping to see you in a near future.
Lebanon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Amazing hotel, beautiful rooms, was the little things that really made the difference, and the staff were simply fantastic. Great recommendations for dinner ,We would definitely stay here again. We recommend it strongly. You will not be disappointed
And a special thank you for Christopher Hamra for his hospitality .......

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
aurora147289, Director Comercial at Occidental El Embajador, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Dear Mr. Marco,

Thank you so much for sharing to others the great experience you had during your stay at Occidental El Embajador and noticing our great Restaurants, Rooms and Excellence in Service.

All our Staff and specially Mr. Hamra was really happy to assist you.

Hoping to see you soon!!

It was a pleasure serving you!
Middletown, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

This is like a second home for me and my wife we go to this hotel every two months for the past 3 years. The service is excellent from all the employees specially aurora she take very good care of us and makes sure that our stay is pleasant. I would definitely recomend all my friends and family to stay in this hotel that has become my second home.

Room Tip: I always request an ocean view because i love to see the ocean at all times
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
aurora147289, Director of Sales at Occidental El Embajador, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear Mr. Thomas,

Thank you so much for sharing to others your experience with Occidental El Embajador for almost three consecutive years of staying with us.
It is always a pleasure serving you and it will always be.

Been to Occidental El Embajador? Share your experiences!