“One night good experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hostal Nicolas de Ovando Santo Domingo - MGallery Collection

You added Hostal Nicolas de Ovando Santo Domingo - MGallery Collection to your Saves list
Hostal Nicolas de Ovando Santo Domingo - MGallery Collection
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Las Damas , Ciudad Colonial | Cuidad Colonial, Santo Domingo 11109, Dominican Republic (Zona Colonial)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 3 nights, Pay for 2!
Ranked #10 of 76 Hotels in Santo Domingo
NYC
“One night good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

A hotel was a bit over-budget for us but two people in DR recommended to stay this place, so I tried one night (with a breakfast package).

We stayed in a modern/contemporary room, a bath room, a separate shower booth, minibar, with a view of a river. We noticed that the hotel lobby is 3rd floor.. we stayed on 4th/highest floor which is nice. Room is clean, we liked a pool, a hotel ground is very spacious (room is a bit small side). A breakfast was nice and plenty (my DR friends said that they ate there sometimes as a "treat" for themselves. I was a bit concerned about reports of the theft in this review so try to be put any valuables in a safety box. Nothing happened to us. We broke a drinking glass and a room attendant came to clean it immediately. No extra charge. Also two bottles of water is complementary, which is also nice.

The location is very nice, very closed to the Columbus House and everything yet quiet.

So, I recommend anyone who wants to have a "memorable" stay for one night or two, or some extra $ to spend very relaxing stay for longer days, I recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floor (4th) and over looking river
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Denis M, Directeur général at Hostal Nicolas de Ovando Santo Domingo - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Dear Sir,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the MGallery Santo Domingo Nicolas De Ovando. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Denis Matas Calderon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

In our recent trip to Dominican Republic, we stayed in Santo Domingo for five nights. We chose the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando because of its charm and location. We were not disappointed. The service was really good and the rooms were really clean. The hotel lobby is not impressive but the rooms are clean and the ambiance very charming and excellent. You literally live where the colonial governor lived and (it is rumored) that Christopher Columbus stayed. The neighborhood is nice and appears to be safe. The breakfast was really comprehensive and delicious. The staff everywhere, especially at the breakfast area were extremely professional and attentive. Particularly a young and professional lady by the name of Akosh Bello. The front desk staff was also pleasant and helpful. The only complaint I have is about the behavior of the lady at the concierge on August 19, our check out day.
Our trip itinerary included a week of stay at a resort in La Romana. Previously I had inquired from a taxi driver about the price and he quoted me US$80. I had his number but decided to see if we can use the hotel concierge to get a taxi for us. The lady called and told us the price is $160. I said that is too much and I will get the taxi myself. First, she said that this is the regular and normal price. Then she asked me to wait for few minutes. After about 5 minutes, she returned with the “discount” price of $140. I refused and called the other driver. He arrived and seemed happy. When he was loading our luggage, the concierge lady came to the door and in Spanish told the driver that the distance is too far (as if the driver didn’t know) and he should charge $150. Our driver did not say anything, but I knew he was unhappy. Therefore, upon getting into the taxi, I told him that I would pay him more. I ended up paying him $100 plus $20 tip. The cost was not a real problem. My issue is that the guests are in a strange and unfamiliar country. They rely on the hotel staff and specially the concierge to give them sound advice and protect them from abuse and overcharges. This lady, failed as a professional. Instead of protecting and guiding the guests, she conspired to rip them off. That was an unpleasant note to otherwise pleasant experience. Overall, I highly recommend the hotel.
The hotel location is excellent. All historical sites are very near and I highly recommend that you take a walk and see them all. While shopping, be prepared to bargain over any price they tell you. That is almost expected and the potential discount is already included in the original quoted price. Don’t forget to go to a Bazaar at the edge of the old Colonial Town. It is a yellow brick building filled with shops and souvenirs at good prices (nonetheless, you still need to haggle).
There are many other shops and restaurants all over the Old Town. Make time to visit (and have drinks and sweets) at Chocó Museo. Filled with chocolate and history. For dinner or lunch, I highly recommend Mimosa (Arzobispo Nouel No. 51). Ask for the waiter from Haiti (I forgot his name) and he will take good care of you. He will even suggest what you should eat or what you should not order. The food is local and very good.
Taxis in Dominican Republic are inexpensive and very easy to get. The ride from the airport to the hotel is about $40.

Room Tip: When you shop, always ask for a discount!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

St. Thomas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

As a young girl growing up in the Caribbean the "GREATER ANTILLES" Was always spoken about the economical situation,culture, trade etc was always part of an ongoing history class be it at home or school. The month of November 2012 took me to the Dominician Republic an island that is mistakenly taken for my island Dominica.

I did a number of tours around the island from the northern part of Puerto Plata to La Romana. The most memorable for me is a night of listening to Jazz at Hostal Nicolas De Ovando. My private tour guide and dear friend Yadly is "SUPER" she knows the island and knows how to play extremely well.

Our afternoon started with a tour through the colonial zone. I was blown away with the colonial zone. The colonial zone possess the ambiance and charm of a royal marriage.Walking down the colonial zone there were vendors on the side walks, art work and artists, cigar shops, etc.

The highlight of the day was the churches and historical buildings that relates a story that is beyond "WORDS" please be advised if you plan on visiting the churches please have your arms covered and your dresses should be below the knees. If your arms are exposed you will be handed a scarf. If your dress or skirt is to short you will be handed an article of clothing that is below the knee.

At last we entered the "HOSTAL NICOLAS DE OVANDO" for the jazz night which was held by the pool. The evening started with "cafe la REPUBLIC LA DOMINICIAN" and it was pure relaxation all the way. The Colonial Zone oh what A night that stands out in my memory.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Madam,

St. Thomas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

• Stayed November 2012
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Nicolas de Ovando was apparently the third Governor of the island and he clearly knew a thing or too about real estate. Built onto the cliff side overlooking the Ozama river (now a rather plain looking port) it lies next to the fort in the heart of the cultural district (a world heritage site). The location gives you walking distance to most of the local culture, including museums cathedrals and fine dining. Across the road, literally, is the National Pantheon which boasts a who's who of dead dignatories.
The hotel itself has been renovated tastefully and whilst it has all modern amenities it still retains its cultural feel (with a couple of wells retained in the courtyard). The bar and pool area are ideal for anyone wanting to chill with the significant other and I did not experience significant noise as reported by others - the occasional blast of ships horns only added to the character.
The rooms were spacious, clean, well appointed and very comfy with a nice walk in shower. The shutters, rather than curtains, are a bit of a pain but again it adds to the character.
Breakfast was passable and the restaurant was 'OK' but I would recommend taking a 3 minute walk to Plaza de Spain and its numerous bars and eateries.
All in all a worthy 5 star rating for those with culture or romance on the agenda.

Room Tip: I had a 4th floor room ( one level above ground) and had no problem with damp.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thomassimonnet, Directeur général at Hostal Nicolas de Ovando Santo Domingo - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, September 30, 2013

Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I never write reviews, but this has to be done
To start this, you need to know that my wife and I found this hotel here on tripadvisor with a very big discount. We were thrilled at first, but afterwards we came to be very disappointed.
First of all, we were very disappointed. The room had a musty smell that you simply couldn't stand. It was impossible to stay there which made us request a new, better room. A front desk employee approved and apologized and we got another room on the ground floor. In comparison with the first one, this was gold. All the best until next morning when we found termites in our closet and even between our shirts. Needless to say, a full report to the front desk was pointless. We received an answer that was supposed to bring comfort: „We will send somebody”.
The only thing that was more disturbing was the fact that the hotel was supposed to be a 5 star Hotel. But after seeing the low quality of the room we realised it was a fraud. Cheap rooms for cheap rates? To top all these, the food was way too expensive so we didn't have breakfast there. We decided to go in front of the Columbus Place where we ate something.
Without questioning, we checked out for various reasons, mostly because we had to go to Santiago for a wedding, but going back there? Not a chance.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hostal Nicolas de Ovando Santo Domingo - MGallery Collection? Share your experiences!