“Memorable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hostal Nicolas de Ovando-Mgallery

Save Saved
You added Hostal Nicolas de Ovando-Mgallery to your Saves list
Hostal Nicolas de Ovando-Mgallery
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Las Damas , Ciudad Colonial | Cuidad Colonial, Santo Domingo 11109, Dominican Republic (Zona Colonial)   |
Ranked #6 of 76 hotels in Santo Domingo
St. Thomas
“Memorable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

As a young girl growing up in the Caribbean the "GREATER ANTILLES" Was always spoken about the economical situation,culture, trade etc was always part of an ongoing history class be it at home or school. The month of November 2012 took me to the Dominician Republic an island that is mistakenly taken for my island Dominica.

I did a number of tours around the island from the northern part of Puerto Plata to La Romana. The most memorable for me is a night of listening to Jazz at Hostal Nicolas De Ovando. My private tour guide and dear friend Yadly is "SUPER" she knows the island and knows how to play extremely well.

Our afternoon started with a tour through the colonial zone. I was blown away with the colonial zone. The colonial zone possess the ambiance and charm of a royal marriage.Walking down the colonial zone there were vendors on the side walks, art work and artists, cigar shops, etc.

The highlight of the day was the churches and historical buildings that relates a story that is beyond "WORDS" please be advised if you plan on visiting the churches please have your arms covered and your dresses should be below the knees. If your arms are exposed you will be handed a scarf. If your dress or skirt is to short you will be handed an article of clothing that is below the knee.

At last we entered the "HOSTAL NICOLAS DE OVANDO" for the jazz night which was held by the pool. The evening started with "cafe la REPUBLIC LA DOMINICIAN" and it was pure relaxation all the way. The Colonial Zone oh what A night that stands out in my memory.

• Stayed November 2012

423 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Nicolas de Ovando was apparently the third Governor of the island and he clearly knew a thing or too about real estate. Built onto the cliff side overlooking the Ozama river (now a rather plain looking port) it lies next to the fort in the heart of the cultural district (a world heritage site). The location gives you walking distance to most of the local culture, including museums cathedrals and fine dining. Across the road, literally, is the National Pantheon which boasts a who's who of dead dignatories.
The hotel itself has been renovated tastefully and whilst it has all modern amenities it still retains its cultural feel (with a couple of wells retained in the courtyard). The bar and pool area are ideal for anyone wanting to chill with the significant other and I did not experience significant noise as reported by others - the occasional blast of ships horns only added to the character.
The rooms were spacious, clean, well appointed and very comfy with a nice walk in shower. The shutters, rather than curtains, are a bit of a pain but again it adds to the character.
Breakfast was passable and the restaurant was 'OK' but I would recommend taking a 3 minute walk to Plaza de Spain and its numerous bars and eateries.
All in all a worthy 5 star rating for those with culture or romance on the agenda.

Room Tip: I had a 4th floor room ( one level above ground) and had no problem with damp.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thomassimonnet, Directeur général at Hostal Nicolas de Ovando-Mgallery, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Sir,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the MGallery Santo Domingo Nicolas De Ovando. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Denis Matas Calderon
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I never write reviews, but this has to be done
To start this, you need to know that my wife and I found this hotel here on tripadvisor with a very big discount. We were thrilled at first, but afterwards we came to be very disappointed.
First of all, we were very disappointed. The room had a musty smell that you simply couldn't stand. It was impossible to stay there which made us request a new, better room. A front desk employee approved and apologized and we got another room on the ground floor. In comparison with the first one, this was gold. All the best until next morning when we found termites in our closet and even between our shirts. Needless to say, a full report to the front desk was pointless. We received an answer that was supposed to bring comfort: „We will send somebody”.
The only thing that was more disturbing was the fact that the hotel was supposed to be a 5 star Hotel. But after seeing the low quality of the room we realised it was a fraud. Cheap rooms for cheap rates? To top all these, the food was way too expensive so we didn't have breakfast there. We decided to go in front of the Columbus Place where we ate something.
Without questioning, we checked out for various reasons, mostly because we had to go to Santiago for a wedding, but going back there? Not a chance.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
La Romana, Dominican Republic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Small rooms in big halls in the former Govenor's headquarters, this hotel strikes a good balence of value to experience.

Perhaps a little overpriced, you are paying to stay in history.

Not unlike a castle in England or a Chateux in France.

Fantastic pool.

Steps from the first Cathedral in the New World.

Indeed, The Spirit of The First Americas.

Spend two nights here and then go stay at the beach.

This hotel gives you historical perspective, but at a price that only will be understood by those who value education.

• Stayed November 2012
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I've been going to the Dominican Republic for over seven years now, usually 8-10 times per year, to visit friends and my partner. For the entire time, I've wanted to stay in this hotel because of the location and the history, and, ok, for the glamor. Well, I finally had the chance and I'm so happy I did! I can't say enough about the hotel and the staff. They didn't overlook any detail. I found everyone friendly, kind, and completely efficient. I felt as if I was in a calm oasis in the middle of the bustling city. The location is convenient for everything. The beds are amazingly comfortable! I can't wait to go back again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Hostal Nicolas de Ovando during part of our honeymoon in the Dominican Republic. We booked this hotel based on reviews from Trip Advisor and Travelocity. The hotel did not disappoint. It is located in an historic area of Santo Domingo, and the it was amazing to be able to stay in a legitimate historic hotel :) The hotel has fully modern rooms and amenities, but still maintains its historic character.

Room service, housekeeping, and the front desk all offered amazing service. We felt very safe throughout our stay as well with 24-hour doormen at the doors. Zona Colonial is completely walkable from this hotel, and some of the highest rated restaurants in Santo Domingo are located one block to the north. There was also free wi-fi in all areas of the hotel.

The restaurant in the hotel was good, but maybe overpriced. The only drawback to the room was that we were on the ground floor with our one window facing the pool deck. The only way for us to have privacy was to keep the shutters closed, causing our room to feel very dark for majority of the day. Also, it was nice to have a pool and outdoor space at the hotel, but its location is overlooking a docking area for large cruise ships, so the exhaust from the ships limited the fresh air.

I would definitely stay here again if I am ever back in Santo Domingo, and I will recommend this hotel to anyone I know who is traveling there.

Room Tip: Request a room above the ground floor for more natural light.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hostal Nicolas de Ovando-Mgallery? Share your experiences!