Nicolas de Ovando was apparently the third Governor of the island and he clearly knew a thing or too about real estate. Built onto the cliff side overlooking the Ozama river (now a rather plain looking port) it lies next to the fort in the heart of the cultural district (a world heritage site). The location gives you walking distance to most of the local culture, including museums cathedrals and fine dining. Across the road, literally, is the National Pantheon which boasts a who's who of dead dignatories.
The hotel itself has been renovated tastefully and whilst it has all modern amenities it still retains its cultural feel (with a couple of wells retained in the courtyard). The bar and pool area are ideal for anyone wanting to chill with the significant other and I did not experience significant noise as reported by others - the occasional blast of ships horns only added to the character.
The rooms were spacious, clean, well appointed and very comfy with a nice walk in shower. The shutters, rather than curtains, are a bit of a pain but again it adds to the character.
Breakfast was passable and the restaurant was 'OK' but I would recommend taking a 3 minute walk to Plaza de Spain and its numerous bars and eateries.
All in all a worthy 5 star rating for those with culture or romance on the agenda.
- Also Known As:
- Hostal Nicolas De Ovando-Mgallery Hotel Santo Domingo
- Hostal Nicolas De Ovando-Mgallery Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the heart of the colonial quarter of Santo Domingo, set among remarkable buildings, stands the Nicolas de Ovando hotel, the former home of the Governor of the same name, a contemporary of Christopher Colombus. Built on the first paved street of the New World, where beautiful Spanish ladies strolled to display their rich costumes, the hotel's guests will enjoy an outstanding stay in a unique place where the stones, patios and fountains will take you back in time. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Splendia, Expedia, ACCOR, Priceline, Hotels.com, Tingo, HotelsClick, Otel, HotelTravel.com, Venere and getaroom.com so you can book your Hostal Nicolas de Ovando-Mgallery reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.