“Outstanding. Cool. Fun. Understated.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hostal Nicolas de Ovando-Mgallery

Save Saved
You added Hostal Nicolas de Ovando-Mgallery to your Saves list
Hostal Nicolas de Ovando-Mgallery
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Las Damas , Ciudad Colonial | Cuidad Colonial, Santo Domingo 11109, Dominican Republic (Zona Colonial)   |
Ranked #6 of 73 hotels in Santo Domingo
New York City, New York
“Outstanding. Cool. Fun. Understated.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I've been going to the Dominican Republic for over seven years now, usually 8-10 times per year, to visit friends and my partner. For the entire time, I've wanted to stay in this hotel because of the location and the history, and, ok, for the glamor. Well, I finally had the chance and I'm so happy I did! I can't say enough about the hotel and the staff. They didn't overlook any detail. I found everyone friendly, kind, and completely efficient. I felt as if I was in a calm oasis in the middle of the bustling city. The location is convenient for everything. The beds are amazingly comfortable! I can't wait to go back again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

409 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Hostal Nicolas de Ovando during part of our honeymoon in the Dominican Republic. We booked this hotel based on reviews from Trip Advisor and Travelocity. The hotel did not disappoint. It is located in an historic area of Santo Domingo, and the it was amazing to be able to stay in a legitimate historic hotel :) The hotel has fully modern rooms and amenities, but still maintains its historic character.

Room service, housekeeping, and the front desk all offered amazing service. We felt very safe throughout our stay as well with 24-hour doormen at the doors. Zona Colonial is completely walkable from this hotel, and some of the highest rated restaurants in Santo Domingo are located one block to the north. There was also free wi-fi in all areas of the hotel.

The restaurant in the hotel was good, but maybe overpriced. The only drawback to the room was that we were on the ground floor with our one window facing the pool deck. The only way for us to have privacy was to keep the shutters closed, causing our room to feel very dark for majority of the day. Also, it was nice to have a pool and outdoor space at the hotel, but its location is overlooking a docking area for large cruise ships, so the exhaust from the ships limited the fresh air.

I would definitely stay here again if I am ever back in Santo Domingo, and I will recommend this hotel to anyone I know who is traveling there.

Room Tip: Request a room above the ground floor for more natural light.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

for a reasonable price : 117 Euros / 155 USD per day
we had a large room with 2 comfortable beds, air conditioning and breakfast included
bath and shower, TV, fridge, free wifi everywhere
I really enjoyed very much this hotel.
It has a soul and it is beautiful.
It is perfectly located, in the best street of Santo Domigo.
This street is clean and full of museums, church, castle, plaza...very close to the cathedral.
For me it is the best location in town. And they have a free parking for the car.
They wil park your car when you arrive.
The staff is friendly and the concierge is very helpful.
The swimming pool is nice and pleasant.
The sport center is small but nice.
The breakfast is very good.
And from the swimming pool area you have a nice view on the river Ozama.
I definitely recommend this hotel.

Just 3 negative things :
the drink at the bar is not so cheap compared to the city prices (8 euros for a cocktail)
the stairs at the bedroom is a little dangerous when you go back from the toilets at night.
I nearly fell and could have twisted my ankle. so be aware.
I had a massage. It was not so cheap : 40 euros per hour and not so good. I would not recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
jersey city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Nicolas de Ovando is in a class by itself in Santo Domingo and I've stayed at my share of hotels. Parts are 500 years old and its been beautifully restored. There are numerous salons and patios for privacy or whatever. They deserve all the accolades they received. It is like staying in a museum created by an incredible architect, which Ovando was, amenities included. I stayed in a contemporary room as well as colonial deluxe. The latter would be my choice for future stays.

Breakfast is wonderful. It is a little on the expensive side, though ours was included with the room. We also had lunch once, which I didn't care for. No offense to the chef, who I understand knows his stuff, but I found it a little ostentatious.

The complaint from someone else about the noise by the pool is valid. However, it was only once in a while and not prolonged.

Customer service is the best and I can't think of any unpleasant encounters in the week we stayed there.

Room Tip: They sometimes sell rooms on hotwire; check it out.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomassimonnet, Manager at Hostal Nicolas de Ovando-Mgallery, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Is an honor for us the time you took to share comments about your stay in the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando, I will definitely share it with my team.

And it is our hope to welcome you back in your next visit.

Your sincerely,

Denis Matas Calderón
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

When we pulled up thru the old city I was not sure what to expect , other than friends recommended it to us.
As soon as the taxi stopped we were greater by 3 friendly porters Check in was a breeze and we again were greeted by very friendly staff, cool towels and a glass of fresh juice The rooms in the old section were big and well renovated. The AC in the rooms were excellent Great food and bar in the hotel and great friendly people. Clean all the way around the place. The pool also was great to cool off after a long day of traveling and site seeing.
I am glad we opened the cover to this " book"!!!!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Is an honor for us that you took the time to express your comments about your stay at the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando. Our team is in constant training for the improvement of our services, is always a pleasure to receive positive feedbacks from our guests.

I really appreciate your words about your experience with us and waiting for your next visit as enjoyable as the previous.

Yours sincerely,

Denis Matas Calderón
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

This is a very nice hotel in Santo Domingo. The service and quality of the stay makes it all worthwhile. It is very convenient and with great restaurants and bars close by, makes it a good choice for leisure and business travelers. Peaceful and quiet if you want to relax.

Staff members are very friendly and helpful with a pleasing attitude which makes it even better.

Highly recommended!!!

Room Tip: Choose colonial rooms if you want to feel back in time. Contemporary rooms are simple but comfortab...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thomassimonnet, Manager at Hostal Nicolas de Ovando-Mgallery, responded to this review, August 13, 2013

Yours sincerely,

Thomas Simonnet
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The hotel is a beautifully restored hotel with an amazingly friendly staff. I asked them to store my bags for a few days and they were more than happy.They continuously thanked me for visiting. The rooms are very comfortable. This was my second time saying at the hotel and I would stay again.

The only slight downside is that the neighborhood feels a little touristy.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Thomas Simonnet

Been to Hostal Nicolas de Ovando-Mgallery? Share your experiences!