“Nice hotel, some staff not so nice” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hostal Nicolas de Ovando Santo Domingo - MGallery Collection

You added Hostal Nicolas de Ovando Santo Domingo - MGallery Collection to your Saves list
Hostal Nicolas de Ovando Santo Domingo - MGallery Collection
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Las Damas , Ciudad Colonial | Cuidad Colonial, Santo Domingo 11109, Dominican Republic (Zona Colonial)   |
Ranked #8 of 76 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Nice hotel, some staff not so nice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My son and I stayed here and we enjoyed much about this hotel. Very cool location and the building has historical signigicance. My only complaint would be that a couple of the women working in the hotel were somewhat rude to me and my son. One woman repremanded my son for jumping into the pool and splashing a woman nearby who was working. He is a kid and did not realize he was splashing her. I did not notice as I was reading a book. This woman could have told my son in a nice way rather than yelling at him. We ARE paying customers and expect to be treated accordingly. Another time, I went to sit at a table for breakfast and a waitress sternly said "reservation!" She did not help me to find a table I COULD sit at, but left me standing there with my food. For this reason, we will not return. Too bad, because the hotel is nice as is most of the staff. They need to train staff to treat customers as customers. I do NOT like to be treated as a nuisance while on holiday. It;s not too much to ask to be treated like the paying customers we are!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thomassimonnet, Manager at Hostal Nicolas de Ovando Santo Domingo - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback wether it's negatif or positive.
I'm very surprised about your breakfast experience at our restaurant La Résidence, which is, I can assure you not an habit in our hotel and doesn't reflect our standards of service.
Be ensured that I will personally handle this matter with the team to get the things in the right way and that your feedback will help us to correct our failures and get better as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. As well as for the pool incident you are totally right and I will adress this matter immediatly.
Thank you again for sharing your experience with us, and I really hope to welcome you personally for your next visit and make it fully satisfying.

Erwan DAUSSY
Director of Food & Beverage

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

From the moment you arrive, The doormen attend to your car (convenient parking across the street next to the French Consulate), your bags, The front desk is friendly and knowledgeable. The rooms are very clean. The computers convenient. The breakfast was just OK but the area where you have it is a magnificent patio. There is no coffee maker in the room or nearby places, so you are kind of forced to have the buffet. Remember this used to be a monastery, so you still feel the history in the walls. Try the pool in the evenings after the killer sun goes down. Its clean and the attentive wait staff will bring you towels and a strawberry daiquiri with a mixed appetizer you must try. If you want something not in the menu, ask and if it is possible, they will make it for you. I was given a room with a view of the river and the pool. It had a great round door. Beware of one thing in those middle rooms. If you are very amorous (you know the French) the sound will carry. So please keep it to yourself.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomassimonnet, Manager at Hostal Nicolas de Ovando Santo Domingo - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Is an honor for us that you took the time to express your comments about your stay at the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando. Our team is in constant training for the improvement of our services, is always a pleasure to receive positive feedbacks from our guests.

I really appreciate your words about your experience with us and waiting for your next visit as enjoyable as the previous.

Thomas Simonnet
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I stayed for work, so I can't speak to the value, but this place was excellent and I felt like I was on vacation every evening when I came home from the office.
The location is wonderful for walking around at night and near many of the tourist highlights in the city.
The building is a landmark itself and truly beautiful. There is lush vegetation outside with flowers and palms and I even saw a cute tiny lizard scurry about.
The staff was always super helpful and friendly. I felt very safe and the front desk helpfully made arrangements for me (transportation, special receipts, etc.) with no problems.

Breakfast was delicious and the service was excellent. One day (Sunday?) they had beautiful live guitar music in the courtyard while we ate. I had a few meals at the bar and one in the restaurant. The restaurant was delicious and the presentation was truly superb (it was even artistic!) but it was pricey and a bit of a splurge for me.

Free wi-fi everywhere, with a good connection, made it perfect for business.

My only critiques: I found the mattresses to be too firm. Some rooms have quite a bit of street noise. I wish there were more outlets by the bed. I wish the hotel bar was just a little more affordable. Though, I should say they have a Thursday 2 for 1 Happy Hour which is a great deal.

Room Tip: the courtyard to the left of entrace (away from restaurant) seems quieter
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thomassimonnet, Manager at Hostal Nicolas de Ovando Santo Domingo - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, August 6, 2013

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This hotel is in the Colonial Zone, which in and of itself is one of the best locations in the city. The atmosphere, the vibe, and the general historical feel to the place blend right in with the other buildings on this street. Just down the street are cafes, restaurants, parks, and a lively night life. Shopping is also handily nearby. The customer service at this place is top notch. Not only are they incredibly professional and courteous, they were also extremely helpful when I needed advice on where to go and what to see. Everyone spoke English, which was a relief to this non-Spanish speaker! My room overlooked the river, and the little balcony was the perfect spot to sip a glass of wine as the sun sets. The breakfast buffet is also really good. My only complaint was that it is outdoor seating, and the mosquitos thought I was an item on the buffet! I recommend bug spray.

I will definitely stay here again and recommend it to all my friends!

Room Tip: Higher floors mean you get less street noise!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thomassimonnet, General Manager at Hostal Nicolas de Ovando Santo Domingo - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, July 24, 2013

Fredrikstad, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed here 5 nights june 2012 and it was fantastic. the food dinner was great, the breakfast was outstanding! the room with huge white concrete waals and 10 meters to the ceiling was romantic and very nice! super service and this is a must if you visit Santo Domingo!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thomassimonnet, General Manager at Hostal Nicolas de Ovando Santo Domingo - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Thomas Simonnet
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

After trying several other hotels in Santo Domingo, I returned to the Nicolas Ovando for a 3 day excursion in the colonial zone. I can confidently state that it is the BEST hotel in the area. The staff are very professional and friendly and never hesitate to assist with any need. In particular I want to recognize Carmen and Siman Sanchez -- these two talented employes represent the high standards of this hotel. FYI -- I could recognize several other staff members for their attention to customer service.

While I was very impressed with the hotel staff, I also want to note the security on the property; as well as the hotel's location in the colonial zone. It's easy to navigate this area and I've never had any issues. My room was extremely comfortable and appreciated the minibar after a long evening. Further, the breakfast buffet is excellent; the fitness room is adequate and the wifi kept me connected around the pool.

Oh yeah -- try the mimosas at the lobby bar. LOL. You will only need 1. Outstanding rates are available for this more than outstanding hotel.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thomassimonnet, General Manager at Hostal Nicolas de Ovando Santo Domingo - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, July 3, 2013

Thomas SIMONNET

Been to Hostal Nicolas de Ovando Santo Domingo - MGallery Collection? Share your experiences!