You added Hostal Nicolas de Ovando Santo Domingo - MGallery Collection to your Saves list
Hostal Nicolas de Ovando Santo Domingo - MGallery Collection
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Las Damas , Ciudad Colonial | Cuidad Colonial, Santo Domingo 11109, Dominican Republic (Zona Colonial)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 3 nights, Pay for 2!
Ranked #10 of 76 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Fredrikstad, Norway
“Great atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed here 5 nights june 2012 and it was fantastic. the food dinner was great, the breakfast was outstanding! the room with huge white concrete waals and 10 meters to the ceiling was romantic and very nice! super service and this is a must if you visit Santo Domingo!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thomassimonnet, General Manager at Hostal Nicolas de Ovando Santo Domingo - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Thomas Simonnet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

After trying several other hotels in Santo Domingo, I returned to the Nicolas Ovando for a 3 day excursion in the colonial zone. I can confidently state that it is the BEST hotel in the area. The staff are very professional and friendly and never hesitate to assist with any need. In particular I want to recognize Carmen and Siman Sanchez -- these two talented employes represent the high standards of this hotel. FYI -- I could recognize several other staff members for their attention to customer service.

While I was very impressed with the hotel staff, I also want to note the security on the property; as well as the hotel's location in the colonial zone. It's easy to navigate this area and I've never had any issues. My room was extremely comfortable and appreciated the minibar after a long evening. Further, the breakfast buffet is excellent; the fitness room is adequate and the wifi kept me connected around the pool.

Oh yeah -- try the mimosas at the lobby bar. LOL. You will only need 1. Outstanding rates are available for this more than outstanding hotel.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thomassimonnet, General Manager at Hostal Nicolas de Ovando Santo Domingo - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Is an honor for us that you took the time to express your comments about your stay at the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando. Our team is in constant training for the improvement of our services, is always a pleasure to receive positive feedbacks from our guests.

I really appreciate your words about your experience with us and waiting for your next visit as enjoyable as the previous.

France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

After maybe 50 or 60 stays in Hostal Nicolas de Ovando in 8 years, I still believe that it is the best hotel in town, by far ! Despite its downgrading from Sofitel (brand to which it was not up to) to M Gallery (which corresponds better to its standing), the services remained the same (good, efficient and very warm) and it even gained on several points : breakfast improved a lot (it was a must !) even if the morning service is sometimes approximative and slow, the restaurant is now at the level of this magnificent historical building and the rooms decoration is slowly modified to gain the warmth you should expect at this price level (I still can't believe that there are no carpets on each side of the bed !).
Be careful, some rooms (even priced at more than 300 USD) don't even have a window !!!
The concierge and business service are efficient, and Carmen, the Main Concierge, is always ready to help with a large smile. Reception staff is also nice and efficient. The low staff turnover shows that this is a well managed team.
To finish, the location is perfect, in the middle of the most historic place of Santo Domingo, close to the best and most lively part of the Zona Colonial.
I tried most of other luxury hotels in Santo Domingo, and until now, this the best by far.
You can maybe consider Holiday Inn or Hilton (awful restaurant) if you need to stay in a more central business district, but you won't get a tenth of the atmosphere !

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thomassimonnet, General Manager at Hostal Nicolas de Ovando Santo Domingo - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, June 25, 2013

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed at other hotels in Santo Domingo but this is wonderful. In the historic area of Zona Colonial. Do not look elsewhere, have a great dinner too. Good price for the quality although dinner is a bit $$$ for Santo Domingo, nevertheless the menu and the service are impeccable. Breakfast is cosy and very genuine. Relax at the pool and try the massage service. Well priced and excellent. For transportation use hotel transport cars. You have a choice of classic or contemporary rooms. We stayed at the contemporary and just as we wanted. Silent and very safe. Again the staff is wonderful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomassimonnet, General Manager at Hostal Nicolas de Ovando Santo Domingo - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, June 19, 2013

Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Elegant, Sophisticated and Wonderful… Hostal Nicolas de Ovando was a refreshing change to most accommodations in Santo Domingo. In my opinion, this is a superior hotel. The service, location and especially the “house” itself is very upscale yet, warm and comfortable. It is like being pampered in a wonderful museum. If I am taking the time to recommend a hotel, I assure you that my experience was flawless. Their service and attention to detail rival the Ritz Carlton, St. Regis or the Viceroy. And I am very loyal to these three names. My complements to the management and the staff of the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando.

I will agree with another reviewer’s comments about some pre-judgment of clientele regarding dress and appearance but, I have found this to be a cultural difference with all of the Dominican Republic. The D.R. is a conservative and formal culture and the “house” has a reputation to protect and an expected superior service to provide so, I understand these pre-judgments.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomassimonnet, General Manager at Hostal Nicolas de Ovando Santo Domingo - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, June 14, 2013

Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Ovando is a very beautiful hotel nestled in the historical Zona Colonial. The building is several centuries old but it is very well maintained and the rooms are top-notch (well mostly).

When we arrived at 10 at night, we were pleasantly surprised that they have 24-hour doorman service. This is necessary in historic Santo Domingo as there are plenty of locals looking to sell you tours. After entering the hotel, we were greeted with rum punches and were promptly taken to our room.

The room was bigger than I expected, with a desk, large bed (king I think), couple of chairs, etc. The bed was incredibly comfortable! The room had a safe that was large enough for my laptop and all the other electronics/valuables we had. The bathroom was really nice. It had a bathtub and a separate stand-up shower.

The hotel itself is quite beautiful. It reminds you of an old Spanish colonial hacienda with its courtyards complete with planted flowers and bubbling fountains.
There is a cigar bar, a regular bar, and a restaurant on the premises. The regular bar is small but does just fine for the hotel. It is adjacent to the pool and sun deck, which overlook the Ozama River (which unfortunately isn't all that scenic (be prepared to stare at the ferry to Puerto Rico or a decaying Venezuelan cruise ship, among other industrial buildings). View aside, the pool area is quite nice. Be sure to have a drink or two out there to enjoy the night air.

The restaurant is a little pricey but I consider this a convenience fee for not having to deal with the assertive street vendors or self-promoting tour guides or the blazing heat.

The gym is very basic; there is a treadmill, an elliptical trainer, and a stationary bike. There is also a set of free-weights (in kilos, not pounds) but no bench, and one of those "all-in-one" weight machines that don't quite get the job done. The gym was a little disappointing but hey, its not that big of a deal.

We had no issues with the Wi-Fi; it worked just perfectly for us.

There was a slight issue with a leaky shower door that sent water into the bathroom, but it wasn't that big of a deal either.

Having read some of the negative reviews, as I do when crafting my own, I noticed some comments about thievery. While I'm not calling into question the honesty of some of the guests, I do think it is all too easy to blame hotel staff for your own errors. But you should also be aware that this hotel is in a 3rd world country. You aren't staying in Epcot Center; you can't expect to just leave your expensive things laying around and have nothing happen to them.

Enough of that though. To sum up, Ovando was a great hotel and should we return to Santo Domingo, we will definitely be staying here!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomassimonnet, General Manager at Hostal Nicolas de Ovando Santo Domingo - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, June 13, 2013

Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I have stayed in the hotel twice, in November 2012 and this past weekend from 29th May to June 2nd. The first stay was good, with the concierge going out of his way to assist my girlfriend, who had arrived a few hours before me. On the basis of that first trip I would hav given the hotel a 4-start rating. However, on my second trip, the lustre faded. Issues: 1. On the Saturday night, I asked the male concierge to book a local restaurant for my girlfriend's birthday celebration. That night, we walked to the restaurant, to be told by the doorman that the restaurant was booked for a private event and there was no booking in our name. We then had to walk quite a distance in the dark to find an alternative place to eat. The concierge left no message for us in our room, and when we complained the next day the other concierge on duty just said sorry but did nothing to make up for an absolutely spoiled evening. 2. The day before, the female concierge had arranged a cab for us to visit the Blue Mall, which is a complimentary service, but she was quite insistent that we must visit the Cartier store (obviously she was on commission) and also she did not give us the ticket for the taxi driver, which led to quite an embarrassing situation when we arrived at the mall. She also made an inappropriate comment to my girlfriend, who was carrying a Carolina Herrera handbag, saying "you have a lot of money to buy that bag" 3. When I booked the room (on booking.com) I specifically requested a room above the ground floor, since the windows open onto Calle las Damas, a busy tourist thoroughfare. However, on arrival we were allocated 3007, which is adjacent to the room we had (also booked on booking.com) on our last trip. Therefore, our privacy was again compromised. 4. Our room was infested by flying termites. The morning after our first night, after the cleaner had been in, we had 6 insects in our sink and others in the shower. Over the next days we saw many in our room. in fact, when I wore a shirt that was stored in the wardrobe I felt bites and quickly removed my shirt and a termite fell out. I had 5 large marks (looked like large mosquito bites) on my neck, shoulder, stomach and arm. 5. We had room service on many occasions, and always after eating I immediately put the food cart outside our door to reduce any possibility of insect activity. However, the cart was still there more than 12 hours later on 2 occasions. We actually found this quite amusing, since throughout our stay we would be disturbed 3 or 4 times during the day, by staff wanting to check the minibar or clean our room before 09:30 when we were still sleeping!

My overall impression is that we were treated like second-class citizens. We were allocated a damp, insect-ridden room on the ground floor that opened onto a busy street, the concierges made inappropriate comments and ruined what should have been a special evening and our dirty dishes were not cleared up for many, many hours. I assume this lack of attention from staff is because we decided to save a bit of money by taking advantage of good rates through booking.com. However, having paid over $600 for 4 nights I expect to receive the same level of service as any other guest, especially as a repeat customer. Despite the fact that I work in Haiti and will be travelling frequently to Santo Domingo over the next 24 months, we will definitely not go back.

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor rooms on Calle las damas at all costs - damp, lack of privacy, termite problem