My husband and I recently spent the week traveling throughout the DR. We flew in and out of Santo Domingo and stayed here one night – and were totally saddened to ever have to leave. This must be, hands down, the best place to stay in the city. We had had a long day of travel and some rental-car fiascos and were fairly downtrodden upon arriving here, but that all changed once we pulled up to the door. We were promptly greeted by courteous and professional doormen who helped us inside, were given moist towels and refreshing drinks as we pulled up to the check-in desk, and were even upgraded to a nicer room for a reason that wasn't made clear and we didn't feel the need to inquire as to why. The front desk staff were utterly professional and polite. We suddenly felt so very much better about our trip because of this hotel. The lobby is breathtaking – as is the entire hotel. Even the hallways are beautiful! Our room featured wonderful tiled floors, huge arched stone doorways, vaulted ceilings, a clean and spacious bathroom, and a wonderful window with seating area that opened out onto the main street. Our room was immaculately clean and the bed was so comfortable. When we came back for the night after eating at a tapas restaurant at the nearby plaza (the restaurant is called Pura Tasca and we totally recommend it!) we found our lights had been cozily set on, the bed linens turned down, a little amuse-bouche placed on each side of the bed and everything in happy order. The pool area was beautiful, the courtyard with the fountain made for wonderful photos, and the restaurant looked fabulous (though we, sadly, did not have a chance to eat at it.) If we ever return to Santo Domingo again, we would absolutely stay at this hotel. We stayed at another hotel on the other end of our trip – one that was rated even higher on TripAdvisor, mind you – and we were utterly regretful that we did not return to Nicholas de Ovando. We even walked past the front doors wistfully wishing we could stay there instead. One of our favorite hotels we have been in, from the US to Canada to Tahiti to Ecuador to Costa Rica to Puerto Rico – this is definitely a top choice! This place is a gem and we enthusiastically recommend it. You will not be sorry. Period.
- Also Known As:
- Hostal Nicolas De Ovando-Mgallery Hotel Santo Domingo
- Hostal Nicolas De Ovando-Mgallery Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the heart of the colonial quarter of Santo Domingo, set among remarkable buildings, stands the Nicolas de Ovando hotel, the former home of the Governor of the same name, a contemporary of Christopher Colombus. Built on the first paved street of the New World, where beautiful Spanish ladies strolled to display their rich costumes, the hotel's guests will enjoy an outstanding stay in a unique place where the stones, patios and fountains will take you back in time. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Splendia, Cheap Tickets, ACCOR, Priceline, Tablet Hotels, Travelocity, Otel, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your Hostal Nicolas de Ovando-Mgallery reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.