Other reviews here correctly describe this place - used to be a very nice hotel, but it is in need of renovation. The staff told me there will be a renovation this year. I have stayed at other similar hotels in Santo Domingo - Melia and Barcelo (Lina). Those hotels were both calm, quiet, and in good shape. I would categorize them as business-oriented hotels. The character of the Jaragua is different. I am not sure why, it looks like Dominicans might come here to have a more active vacation. And they are noisy, slamming doors, talking loud, etc. Ok, if that is what you are expecting. But, unfortunately, the construction of the hotel makes the noise a problem if you don't want to hear it - WALLS ARE THIN (as pointed out in another review). I could hear the people in one adjoining room going to the bathroom! And on the other side, I could hear those people's tv and their talking loud.
I stayed in a tower room, on the pool side. , 4th floor. Nice view, but they had a band in the bar below that was loud - could hear it clearly inside the room! Excellent music, but I didn't want to hear it for three hours two of the three nights I was there. Fortunately, it quit about 10 or 10:30.
The tower room was really ok. Not noticeably or terribly worn. The bathroom was not so good, though, Outdated. And, almost impossible to regulate the water temperature in the shower. Too hot one minute, too cold the next.
I have to mention though, as others have, how good the staff is. Very friendly and very helpful, I appreciate this. In some cases, this would outweigh the negatives, but not in this case. This hotel is just too noisy for me - had to get up one morning at 7 am to get to an appointment, and had to listen to music coming from some place until early morning waking me up.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rediscover the All New Renaissance Jaragua Hotel in Santo Domingo. This historic icon has undergone a complete $40 Million renovation, restoring the icon with all new modern guestrooms, suites, spa, fitness center, meeting spaces, restaurants, bars, and resort pool with pool side bar. We welcome you to come and rediscover the all new Renaissance Jaragua Hotel in June 2015. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com, Despegar.com, Marriott, Travelocity, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Renaissance Jaragua Hotel and Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Renaissance Jaragua Hotel Santo Domingo
- Renaissance Santo Domingo
- Santo Domingo Renaissance