“Great staff, but noisy hotel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Jaragua Hotel and Casino

Save Saved
You added Renaissance Jaragua Hotel and Casino to your Saves list
Renaissance Jaragua Hotel and Casino
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. George Washington 367 | Apto. Postal 769-2, Santo Domingo 10102, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #31 of 76 hotels in Santo Domingo
Portland, Oregon
“Great staff, but noisy hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Other reviews here correctly describe this place - used to be a very nice hotel, but it is in need of renovation. The staff told me there will be a renovation this year. I have stayed at other similar hotels in Santo Domingo - Melia and Barcelo (Lina). Those hotels were both calm, quiet, and in good shape. I would categorize them as business-oriented hotels. The character of the Jaragua is different. I am not sure why, it looks like Dominicans might come here to have a more active vacation. And they are noisy, slamming doors, talking loud, etc. Ok, if that is what you are expecting. But, unfortunately, the construction of the hotel makes the noise a problem if you don't want to hear it - WALLS ARE THIN (as pointed out in another review). I could hear the people in one adjoining room going to the bathroom! And on the other side, I could hear those people's tv and their talking loud.

I stayed in a tower room, on the pool side. , 4th floor. Nice view, but they had a band in the bar below that was loud - could hear it clearly inside the room! Excellent music, but I didn't want to hear it for three hours two of the three nights I was there. Fortunately, it quit about 10 or 10:30.

The tower room was really ok. Not noticeably or terribly worn. The bathroom was not so good, though, Outdated. And, almost impossible to regulate the water temperature in the shower. Too hot one minute, too cold the next.

I have to mention though, as others have, how good the staff is. Very friendly and very helpful, I appreciate this. In some cases, this would outweigh the negatives, but not in this case. This hotel is just too noisy for me - had to get up one morning at 7 am to get to an appointment, and had to listen to music coming from some place until early morning waking me up.

Room Tip: See review above, avoid the pool side in the tower if you don't want to hear live band in bar be...

357 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I have been traveling to Santo Domingo for over 20 years. The Jaragua hotel is one of my favorites. There are many other good hotels in the capital city as well, but for the price, location and for my personal likes, the Jaragua is the best for the value. The hotel has a nice casino, a great Merengue bar with a live merengue band 6 nights a week and it also has a Champions sports bar to watch all the games and have some burgers, pizza or whatever if you want to feel like your back in the states. The hotel also has its own restaurant, a outdoor bar and a poolside bar. Location is perfect, right on the Malecon with spectacular water views. Close to all Government buildings, shopping malls and the Colonial city as well. If you are to choose a room, I would recommend spending a few extra dollars and get a room in the Tower opposed to the Garden rooms which are in a separate building. Beds are far more comfortable in the tower rooms. I travel to the country often on business and I opt for the Club level on top level floors which cost on average about $30 more a night, but it comes with breakfast and access to the private lounge area where you can hold meetings while having lunch, coffee etc... Overall, as I mentioned, there are other hotels I have stayed at in the area such as the Hiltion Malecon Centre, the Embajador, Melia and Intercontinental (both next door) but I always go back to the Jaragua, for the price, nicest staff, clean and comfortable rooms and it's locale.

Room Tip: Look for the breakfast included deals, definitely worth it!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Good value and good location. The casino is a plus and the grounds offer many places to lounge around or read a book. Rooms are nice enough, though we usually get relegated to the back building because we travel with a dog. Understandable. The large grassy area also lets our pooch stretch her legs and management doesn't seem to mind as long as you clean up your mess. Rooms are comfortable. Sports restaurant could use a little help. Service seemed slow and food was average. Front desk was helpful and accommodating. They also help with directions and local info.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I visited this hotel upon returning from a ten days Caribbean Cruise back to Finland. Our flight was delayed overnight and so we, some 300 Finnish cruise passengers onboard M/S Kristina Katarina were booked to hotels at Santo Domingo. My lot was the Renaissance, capable of taking 150 of us with a short notice. Lucky me, though travelling single I got a ninth floor, ocean facing executive suite where mere bed was larger than my economy cabin on the ship. The suite size must have been well over 1000 sq feet.

I must say that I should not have minded even further delays as the service was very friendly and swift, I felt especially to me. Perhaps it helped to show a happy, instead of a grim face like most of my co-cruisers. The atmosphere in the garden bar after dark was closest to heaven I have been this far. We were served dinner, breakfast and lunch before departure, all inclusive except alcohol. Another con side was that the kitchen was not prepared to take such a sudden rush of unexpected customers and some early diners had to wait more than an hour for their main course. Yes, I admit that some details are in need of renovation but not badly and some slight noise was occasionally heard from suites connecting doors. Still for a relatively unspoiled traveler this remains the best hotel experience ever, especially when one needs not to pay for it.

Room Tip: Ask for seaside eight or ninth floor executive suites. Ideal for honeymooning couples. Less so for...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
San Jose, Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

if you pay around 100$ for a room in a hotel on the Malecón , main sea shore avenue of Santo Domingo, capital of Dominican Republic, you can imagine that something is not right. The kind attention of the staff and the good service, cannot offset the aged bedrooms, bathrooms,... The spa was nice and the massage given, excellent and worth the money. The breakfast was average. Conclusion, go for business and use the bedroom for what you need, a good sleep, nothing more.

Room Tip: always far away from lifts
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I'm in Santo Domingo a few times a year, but I had not stayed at the Jaragua for a couple of years after having grown frustrated by lackluster service and crowds (and "unsavory" folks) drawn to the casino. I decided to give it a try again and I'm glad I did; I will likely return. I took advantage of a reasonable AAA rate, but because of my Marriott Rewards Gold status, I was upgraded to a room in a better location and granted club access without having to ask (on past stays such recognition of loyalty was rare). The rooms at the Jaragua are tired but spacious. My biggest complaint with room comfort is the lack of soundproofing. My rate included breakfast, so one day I had it in the restaurant and the other in the club lounge. The breakfast buffet in the restaurant was very good, but I doubt I would have paid for it had it not been included in my rate. The service at the breakfast buffet was not so good (waited for coffee a couple of times). In the club lounge, the breakfast was nice, with both hot and cold options that were fresh, as well as fruit and breads. I ordered room service for lunch one day. The chicken breast dish I ordered (like a chicken fingers) turned out not to be all breast, with some of the pieces obviously other cuts of the chicken pressed and prepared to look like breast. I took advantage of the gym, which is nice. I had free internet access as a result of my Marriott status. I noticed Sheraton is renovating the hotel next door, and with the nice Hilton down the street and even the much-talked about new Holiday Inn, I wonder if Renaissance will give this property the proper upgrades and other attention is needs to stay competitive. Even the nearby Courtyard is a "nicer" option, but that property can cost twice as much as the Renaissance Jaragua.

Yonkers, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

This hotel is great. They try to be as accommodating as possible. The people are so friendly. My only complaint is that they don't really know what's going on. The water in the rooms in not potable. I asked for some bottles at the desk and the lady said they do not provide water in the rooms. She went in the back to ask her manager about the water, and she said it is their policy not to provide water. I asked another lady at the desk, and she said there is a single bottle replaced every day, hidden in a box in the room. The beds are sooooo nice. The pillows are so soft and some are huge. A lot of security, and great customer service. Ask for Franklin at the front desk. What a guy! He knows how to treat guests.

Room Tip: I stayed there a few years ago and I remember the rooms in the tower are nicer. Book through Marriot...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Renaissance Jaragua Hotel and Casino? Share your experiences!