“Way too Old...Worn Out.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Santo Domingo

You added Hotel Santo Domingo to your Saves list
Hotel Santo Domingo
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Av Independencia esq Abraham Lincoln, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #26 of 76 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Miami, Florida
“Way too Old...Worn Out.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

I stayed at this hotel because from other family members experience, I knew it was a place to stay if I wanted a tranquil, safe elegant atmosphere. Free parking is good. Valet was free also. Very nice lobby, beautiful mohagony wood throughout. Easy checkin on the executive floor, access through card key. My room overlooked the swimming pool. The Room: old carpeting, rock hard beds, climate control a/c. I had it on 60 degrees and it wouldnt get any degree lower than 75. I was burning up all night. The extra lock on the door didnt work, was missing a latch. The tv is so old and few channels can be heard or seen. My room offer came with breakfast. Great breakfast offered in the lounge area by my room, continental with great pastries and coffee, cappuccino etc. I opted for the full breakfast in the restaurant downstairs, which had a full dominican breakfast. I had dinner at the restaurant there. Service was super slow, we ordered 2 pasta dishes and 1 steak, and waited about 40 minutes, with only 4 other tables occupied. No good. But elegant restaurant. 100 dollars for 3 to dine with 15% tip included. So I would go again, but only if there price was less than $100 and the tv and ac better. I paid $137 for the night.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

I attended a conference at the hotel Santo Domingo and really had no choice of other accommodations. I had read previous reviews and had some reservations regarding the hotel.
However, I must confess I was very pleasantly surprised. Overall the hotel was well staffed and staff were courteous, efficient, pleasant and discrete. Each minor request was met promptly, from room service to assistance printing documents.
My most amazing experience was upon my departure though. As instructed, I had placed all my valuables in the safety ox in my room. As I checked out, I inadvertently left my work BlackBerry in the safe. I did not realize it until I landed in the U.S. and already had an e-mail sent to my personal account and device from the Security staff indicating that housekeeping staff had found my BB and turned it to security. The e-mail indicated that they were expecting instructions to ship it back to me in the U.S.
This is outstanding professionalism that overrides any possible flaws a hotel can have (if there were any, which I could not find). Safety and security are first priority when traveling for business or pleasure and the Hotel Santo Domingo staff ought to be commended for displaying world-class integrity and commitment to costumer satisfaction.
Will return anytime and highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Knoxville, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

- you are lucky enough to be there during the week and the social events are done at a reasonable time. This hotel is very popular for large events and the music can be heard throughout the hotel. But, during my week stay it all ended early and I slept fine.
The hotel is older and has some maintenance issues. The shag carpet looks nasty but was relatively clean. About half of the electrical outlets were nonfunctional in my room, so I had to unplug a lamp to power my laptop. The bathtub plug was disassembled and the toilet leaked a little.
On the positive side, the room was spacious with lots of closet space. The bed was comfortable and the included breakfast buffet was nice. The pool was nice. The customer service was good and they recommended a reasonable, honest taxi company for a trip to the Zona Colonial.
The hotel is isolated and there is little within walking distance. Even then, you have to get across very busy streets. There is a nice bodega within a few blocks, but you should speak Spanish if you head out that way.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
New York City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2009

My wife and I decided to try this hotel on our most recent short vacation/business trip. While the location of the hotel is quite convenient to the places we needed to visit and our room on the executive floor was nicely sized and had a balcony with a wonderful view of the water, there were many shortcomings:

First and foremost - we were not been able to fall asleep every single night until about 2-2:30am because of the loud music. There was one party after another booked at the various party rooms throughout the hotel and one of the party rooms was located directly beneath our room (mind you we were on the last floor of the hotel with 3 additional floors between our room and the party room, so I could only imagine what it felt like in the room directly above the party!) Now I'm all for good time and parties and music, but this is a hotel for God' sake with people having business meetings in the morning, waking up early to catch a morning flight...just doesn't make sense for a hotel to host loud parties for outsiders with complete disregards for their guests. They even took the speakers outside of the party hall and just blasted the music to the streets until at least 2am! This was every single day, weekday or weekend - no difference.

Second major disappointment was hundreds of kids on our floor, which was supposed to be executive floor catered to business travelers. There was a kids' racquetball tournament in Santo Domingo and all of the teams were stationed in this hotel...again, I'm not complaining about kids in general, but they should've been placed on the different floors, not on the executive floor.

The hotel advertises the executive floor accessible only by a room key...this is not true - anyone could push the "E" button in the elevator and get to that floor. And speaking of the elevators - there were 2 of them, but only one worked during first 3 days of our stay and with all the kids running around and punching all the floor buttons just for fun it was simply a nightmare to either get to the room or to get down to the lobby!

The hotel also advertises complimentary juice, water and coffee in the executive lounge all day...well I didn't see any water or juices available and the coffee machine had only 1-2 selections (out of 8) and then got broken on the 3rd day of our stay...kids again?

The food in the restaurant was hit or miss - some days it was tasty, some days it was not good at all...service was spotty at best, some hostesses/waiters were nice, others didn't seem to care if you live or die...

Also because of all the outside parties going on in the hotel, parking space was very (VERY!) hard to find (we rented a car) and many times I had to park right on the sidewalk (as many others did!) until after midnight when some party guests were starting to leave...

So overall I would only recommend this hotel to people who go to sleep around 2am every day, or for those that can sleep through the thundering bass and loud screams...to me it just seems that this hotel doesn't care about their guests one bit! During the checkout the executive floor hostess did not ask us even once if our stay was pleasant, but she would not let us leave until someone went into our room and checked our minibar, even though I listed all the items we took from there! Never again!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Guayaquil, Ecuador
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2009

Shocked at the decent reviews for this hotel. List of problems during this one week stay is almost to long to capture. Key points... The restaurant is subpar and there is very little in walking distance to provide other options. Two of the 6 nights during my stay there were events in the open air courtyard of the hotel until 1am with very loud bands/DJs. This is not a place to go for comfortable business travel. Staff needs to focus on better customer service. One of the worst hotel experiences I've had travelling in Latin America. Would NEVER stay here again and would never recommend this hotel to a friend/colleague.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2008

This hotel as I understood it used to be one of Santo Domingos top notch hotels. Although old, I thought this hotel was well kept. The lobby, pool and it surroundings are very spacious areas and offers a very nice place for a wedding, business event etc..
I stayed only one night and found the accomodations to be comfortable and clean. The breakfast buffet was included in the price and offered fresh fruit, juices, breads, hot meals prepared by the cook. The waitstaff was very courteous and helpful. Overall I enjoyed my one night stay!

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — The price
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Basel, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2008

This so-called best hotel in town is located behind the busy coastal road towards Zona colonial, a bit remote. You’ll be welcomed by an elegant lobby and there’s an Executive lounge on the 2nd floor with very spacious rooms. My quiet room had comfy twin beds, inroom safe, TV also with US-channels, free WIFI, small bathroom. The pool is relatively large, only the nearby heliport and the traffic noise bothered. In the evening, especially after midnight it’s hard to find a place serving drinks, so go directly to the approx. 5 driving minutes located Renaissance hotel with its casino&live stage, there you’ll definitely find night life. The breakfast buffet can be enjoyed on the terrace and is plentiful.
I wouldn’t rate this as best hotel in town.

• Liked — Room
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Santo Domingo? Share your experiences!