“Still Has Charm After All These Years?” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Santo Domingo

Save Saved
You added Hotel Santo Domingo to your Saves list
Hotel Santo Domingo
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Av Independencia esq Abraham Lincoln, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #28 of 75 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Queens, New York
“Still Has Charm After All These Years?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I am considering a trip to Santo Domingo, a city I haven't visited in 25 years. I used to vacation in the city several times a year; Hotel Santo Domingo, then a brand new property owned by Gulf + Western, was my favorite hotel. It was one of the first hotels built in "native decor" and the staff was charming. Sounds like, while the building itself can maybe use a bit of an update, the staff and the property is just as charming as ever. I am looking forward to returning to this lovely spot.

Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
GuestManagerHSD, Manager at Hotel Santo Domingo, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you very much for always choosing our hotel. We are confident that your visit will be pleasant and meet your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you soon.

Lilianna Mora

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Netherlands Antilles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I stayed at the hotel twice and I have to admit I enjoyed my stays both times. The staff were very kind, besides that the hotel has a charm I don't have admired in other hotels, only at the Hispaniola that doesn't exist anymore. Last year i didn't feel well, and I have to stay everybody was anxious and very helpful, something pretty at such moments. I love the hotel

Room Tip: Rooms with a view on the garden
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
GuestManagerHSD, Manager at Hotel Santo Domingo, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comment about your stay at our hotel. We are glad that you consider us as your home in the Dominican Republic.

Hope you feel better so you can fully enjoy your next visit to our hotel.

We hope to see you soon!

miami
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

The hotel is beautiful it has an old charm and the staff was friendly. There, the porters have assistants and the assistants have assistants in other words to open a door you have to go through at least to 3 different people but then I realized that this happens everywhere in the Dominican Republic.
Our rooms were old but this time without the charm but the price was reasonable for good internet connections and good breakfast and specially great staff made the difference.

Room Tip: Third floor (executive rooms) have a special elevator special check in and out and breakfast in the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
GuestManagerHSD, Manager at Hotel Santo Domingo, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
We sincerely appreciate the time you have taken to forward comments regarding our Hotel services.
On these regards, we want you to know that our commitment to quality is prevalent and your comments are very important to us since our priority is to provide customer satisfaction. we are working to amend those little details you mentioned. We look forward to have you here with us, in a near future.
cabarete
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Better than my last stay here, it's from a totally different era.

Breakfast was disappointing, the room was so so, the internet was not accessible, but it had a wonderful old school charm that only older hotels have.

The staff was a little snobby, but whatever. Did I mention that this place has charm?

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at Hotel Santo Domingo, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
We appreciate the time you have taken to comment on your stay in our hotel. We apologize for any inconvenience you hace had. I assure you we are taking steps to improve our services even more.

I hope to welcome you to our hotel again, and this time your stay will exceeds your expectations.

Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

This hotel was very beautiful. The hotel staff was friendly and courteous . The food was so excellent. I arrived at 1:30 am because my flight had changed. Although it was so early in the am the staff greated me with such kindness. I would like to mention one person in particular that went over and beyond and that was Salvador. He enjoys his job and it makes me want to choose Hotel Santo Domingo again whenever I'm in Santo Domingo. Great Job!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, Manager at Hotel Santo Domingo, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
We are pleased to read your comments about your stay in our Hotel. Thank you for taking the time to comment. Salvador has been working with the Hotel since its opening; we are very proud of his work and he is a model employee. I'll make sure to let him know about your comment and we hope to welcome you back soon!
Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

A traveller like me who is looking for big rooms this is heaven.. The hotel was just nice.. My points that were pleasant about the hotel were:
1. Staffs are really nice and kind. They give you the hospitality that you look for.
2. The bars are good.. nice place to unwind, relax or have casual business talks without much disturbances.
3. Rooms.. i love it.. big and spacious.
4. Location.. quite near to zone colonia.. but yes you can find hotels nearer.. it is also next to a couple of good restaurants, something like a cornice, parks, etc.. and even 5 - 10 mins walk can get you to a gentlemans club ;)
5. Swimming pool: it is just nice
6. A really really good breakfast

Now somethings to look for:
1. Bathroom: they are not bad but could have been better, especially the pipes on the bathtub.
2. Concierge: couldnt actually find somebody who could guide me, where i can go to.
3. TV: they play only spanish, my bad..:(

Overall i'd say worth the money.. and yea enjoy dominican republic :)

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the view of the sea or the one above the restaurant
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at Hotel Santo Domingo, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Thank you very much for commenting about your pleasant stay at our Hotel. We are thrilled to read that you had a great time at our property and I am sure you will be glad to hear that we are working to amend those little details you mentioned. Thank you for your observations, I hope to welcome you back soon!.
Bronx, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

While on business last summer we had the pleasure to stay at the Hotel Santo Domingo, the price was right and the staff amazing. The night life was cool for a nice relax night cap before bed. The pool area was amazing and even had a nice gym to work out some stress. Mainly the staff was the best part of my stay. Two weeks in paradise

Room Tip: There are some rooms with a balcony a must for a great night view of the ocean
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
, Manager at Hotel Santo Domingo, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
For us, at the Hotel Santo Domingo, it is important our clients are satisfied with our services. This is the main reason why we take so seriously all feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to comment about your stay. I hope to welcome you again soon.

Been to Hotel Santo Domingo? Share your experiences!