“Outstanding atmosphere and value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Boutique Hotel Palacio

You added Boutique Hotel Palacio to your Saves list
Boutique Hotel Palacio
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Duarte 106 | Colonial City, Santo Domingo 10211, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #12 of 76 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wilmington, NC
“Outstanding atmosphere and value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

Our family backpacked througthe all towns in the DR for 3 weeks so when we decided to splurge on a 'fancy' hotel for the last two days of our trip we were so glad we chose hotel palacio. The location was central, the staff attentive, and the pool and awesome breakfast made this place an excellent value. We loved everything about this place and would recommend it highly to anyone wanting a unique and charming hotel with a pool.

• Stayed July 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

I stayed many times at the Hotel Palacio. My last stay at the Hotel Palacio was horrible. I booked through Expedia and paid extra money for an upgraded room. Even though I have stayed there over 10 times, some front desk workers look at me, like they never saw me before, cold. My last trip, I was given a room on the north side of the hotel, that room did not overlook the courtyard. No elevators for that part of the hotel. The room was on the third floor, up some narrow brick stairs.

Going up the steps, one room had its door and windows open and inside that room, it was a mess, I thought crime scene.

After traveling many hours and no sleep in more than 24 hours, I laid on the bed and fell asleep. Hotel Palacio uses a system, whereby you have to insert your room key card in a plastic box on the wall, for the air-conditioning and most of the electric, to turn on in the room. I did that when I entered the room, that day. After sleeping for a few hours, I woke up sweating. The room temperature felt like about 80-85 degrees Fahrenheit (29 Celsius). The A/C was on full blast, not blowing cold air, if there was a thermostat, I checked it to make sure it was on a cold setting. I was not happy.

I walked down to the lobby and told the woman at the front desk that I was not happy with the room. She snidely and sarcastically said to me "What the room is too cold". With that last bit of nastiness from a worker at the Hotel Palacio, I returned to the room, grabbed my luggage, which I carried down two flights of stairs and checked out. I got a room at the Hodelpa hotel in zona colonial for that night. I had stayed approximately 3 hours at the Palacio and I was charged over $100 by the Palacio.

I later sent an Email to the Hotel Palacio and they never responded. They lost my business. The owner of the Hotel Palacio is a German guy named George. I spoke with him before at the Palacio. I saw him recently on El Conde in Zona Colonial and I said hello to him and he looked at me like I was a piece of garbage and just kept walking. The manager of the Hotel is another German guy in his 40's, who is not overly friendly. Some of the workers are nice.

One time I parked my car in the inside garage at the Palacio (very small garage), some other guest parked their car behind mine and the workers did not know who it was, so I was without the use of my car for that night (I could not get it out of the garage).

One visit, the pool did not have water, for repairs.

There are other small hotels in Santo Domingo, some owned by Dominicans, that have friendly and nice owners. I prefer to stay in a hotel that has a friendly, respectful, pleasant owner. Hotel Palacio lost my business because of their poor customer service and their sometimes disrespectful manner.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
HotelPalacio0, Guest Relations Manager at Boutique Hotel Palacio, responded to this review, July 24, 2011
we are very sorry for the inconvenience you have had in our hotel and also sorry you have not spoken with general manager in relation to what happened if so we would have a quick solution
after 10 times of course back in our hotel is because you had good experience in previous visits. There were many things that on that day affected you feeling, in relation to Mr george I'm sure that was perhaps not recognize you or was distracted.Because him and the general manager are very friendly and polite with the guests.
we feel really sad for what happened is not our intention
that our guests feel bad at our hotel.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for our honeymoon last month. The rooms were spacious and clean. The decor was inviting and tasteful and the staff was very helpful and professional. The location is ideal as it is centrally located in the colonial zone. The courtyard and tapas restaurant came in very handy when we needed to entertain some local friends. Overall it was a wonderful experience and we would certainly go back.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 139. Certainly not the fanciest but there was a king sized bed and a fabulous bath...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
HotelPalacio0, Guest Relations Manager at Boutique Hotel Palacio, responded to this review, July 26, 2011
Thanks for yuo review, we are glad to have you as our guess.
we recommend you in you next visit booking the new senior suite

Our Senior Suite is equipped with:

◦One spacious living room
◦One bedroom with one king size bed
◦Spacious bath room with jaccuzzi and shower
◦Rollaway bed
◦Baby bed
◦Air conditioning
◦Cable TV
◦Radio FM /AM with CD
◦Telephones in the living room, bed room and bathroom
◦Fax
◦Computer PC with DSL internet **
◦Mini bar
◦Security box *
◦Key card room locks that offer you easy access and high security
(subject to availability)

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR MARRIAGE!!!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

We found this hotel using trip advisor which we use for all of our travels. This was our first trip to the DR.  The hotel was was in a good location in the Colonial City, very charming (the pictures don't lie).  Downsides - a rag for a towel at the pool, and safety issues. We were awoken at 11:30p with an older gentleman who entered our room through the 'on suite' door which was always supposed to be locked.  Evidently we had the key enterance while he had a latch to turn to enter.  Everything runs through the front desk. Want to use the gym; the front desk has to let you in. Need a towel for the pool go to the front desk.  The noise does carry in this hotel. So you hear the other rooms clearly.  It was great for a night. Bring your own pool towel and don't get a room with an 'on suite' door and you'll be fine.

• Stayed July 2011
Hackensack, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

I loved that the hotel is an antique landmark it gives the hotel an elegant look plus a touch of high class, a nice feel like if you were in a mansion or chateau. The service was excellent, the food was great. The people were very nice and helpflmade you feel at home, i would say better than other services in us hotels i have been to. Also this is a perfect place if you want some privacy and don''twant to be in big hotels with big crowds. In all i enjoyed my stay and would like to come again.

Room Tip: Looking for somewhat private this is the place.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Thanks for your comment, we are glad to have you as our guests and hope to see you again to continue offering the best service and the conformity.

Best Regards

San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

We loved this hotel, it was the best part of our short visit to SD. The decor is beautiful and authentically charming (high ceilings, lots of mahogany, tile floors, luscious courtyard). Our room (deluxe double) was spacious and very comfortable for a family of four. Our eight year old said sleeping there felt like we were rich! The breakfast was wonderful and filling, served in a European style breakfast room. The location was perfect for exploring the Colonial Zone. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, even before we arrived. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Contact the hotel by email
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Thanks for your comment, we are happy to have you as our guests and hope to see again to continue offering the best service and the conformity

Ponce PR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

Hotel Palacio is an incrediblly charming hotel! Just a short drive from the airport too! A little difficult to find if its your first time in the area...as Zona Colonial has lots of one way streets! Get yourself a good map of the streets and you'll do fine. We stayed our first night at Hotel Palacio, then travelled north to Samana, and stayed our last night back at Hotel Palacio! The rooms were spotless and wonderful! A totally refurbished hotel with lots of quaint interior "courtyard" in which to relax and enjoy. Wonderful breakfast! Can't beat the location! Hotel is within walking distance to all the wonderful historical sites in the Zona Colonial! Everything...restaurants...from Hard Rock Cafe to some very exquisite fine dining....vendors, shopping, historical plazas, wonderful parks, historical buildings and enourmous amounts of historical information and sites all within walking distance! Oh...and one thing that doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere...China Town!! just two blocks away! The pool is located on the top of the building and they also have a gym and sauna! Just a great place to stay! We will definately stay here again when visiting the DR!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a veranda.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Best Regards

Bianka Cruz

Been to Boutique Hotel Palacio? Share your experiences!