“15th Century Hotel, in the center of the Colonial District” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Frances MGallery

Save Saved
You added Hotel Frances MGallery to your Saves list
Hotel Frances MGallery
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Las Mercedes, Esq Arzobispo Merino | Ciudad Colonial, Santo Domingo 10211, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #20 of 74 hotels in Santo Domingo
GMH888
“15th Century Hotel, in the center of the Colonial District”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

The Hotel Frances, has the pedigree of age, but only parts of the faciltiy, have the look and feel of a 15th Century building. The courtyard is gorgeous, and is an outdoor dining area. Rooms are large and have maybe the best bed I have ever slept in, which included the linens
Service was good, and the facility was clean and well maintained. A dedicated parking area across the street made for easy acess.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
H2137, Gerente at Hotel Frances MGallery, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Guest,
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Hotel Frances. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with my team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of my staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

210 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I took my girlfiriend for 2 nights to celebrate her b-day in Santo Domingo. I chose this hotel due to its unique colonial appealing but never stayed there before. We had an amazing time!!! The hotel has so much character. It is really a piece of art and history, perfectly loacted at the heart of the colonial zone of Santo Domingo. Our room was spacious and quiet, the breakfast was ok, the patio and common areas were so relaxing and beautifully decorated. We paid for the City Experience package that included a city tour on a horse carriage. Totally worth it!! Make sure you ask for the guide: Leonardo Cepeda. This guy was amazing, really warm hearted and easygoing. He took us for the colonial zone and explained every detail. He allowed us to get off to take pictures, took us to souvenir shops and even treated us with some local beverages.The staff was super friendly, the parking was very convenient and safe. I totally recommended this hotel!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Guests,

Is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from our guests about their experience in the Hotel Frances and the Colonial City.

I really appreciate your words about your stay with us and waiting for your next visit as enjoyable as the previous.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Europa Antiguo up the street ($50/night), and happened to come upon this beautiful hotel as we were looking for a place to have dinner. They seat you in the beautiful open-air courtyard, and it's a very romantic atmosphere. The food was incredible. Even the bread was warm and delicious. I had the shrimp risotto and my husband had the lobster tagliatelle. Both came out piping hot and were excellent, for only 1000 pesos/$25 total. (We later realized we had spent this much on our lunch near the Columbus palace for a very mediocre meal.)
We were very pleased to have found this place!

Dear Guests,
I really appreciate the time you took to write your comments about the dinner you got in our restaurant. To get positive feedback as yours, it is the best motivation for my team to continue improving the level of service and food.

I hope we can welcome you in the near futur in our hotel to stay also the night with us to appreciate for the fully 100 % our hotel environment. From dinner to a good night rest in one of our colonial rooms and breakfast with a morning sunshine on the patio.
Thanks again for your positive feedback.

Marion te WInkel
New York City, New York, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

beautiful boutique hotel--rooms quiet and looking on an interior courtyard filled with orchids and vines where a great breakfast was served every morning. staff attentive and friendly. location could not be better if you like the zona colonial. my room was really large, and some of the time i hung out on one of the wicker chairs on the balcony running around the courtyard. plenty of hot water.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
I really enjoyed that you appreciated the patio and the relax areas on our property.
Our team is in constant training for the improvement of our services, is always a pleasure to receive positive feedbacks from our guests.
Is an honor for us the time you took to share comments about your stay in the Hotel Frances.
I will definitely share it with my team.

It is our hope to welcome you back during your next visit.
Kindly regards,

Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

In the heart of the Colonial Quarter, right opposite the Mexican Embassy, though not easy to find if driving. Looks nothing special from the outside, but it is a little oasis inside, Lovely Moorish courtyard, insulated from Santo Domingo noise and bustle, where all meals are served. Small hotel car park directly opposite the main door was invaluable, and is always manned. Breakfast adequate, not special. Our room was a good size, with sitting area and well-fitted (and lit) bathroom. Bed and pillows were very comfortable. Walking distance to a range of restaurants, and though the streets are dark at night, it felt very safe.

Unless you have specific interests, Santo Domingo is not worth more than 2 days in our view. If we go back to SD this is where we would stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Is an honor for us that you took the time to express your comments about your stay at the Hotel Frances. Our team is in constant training for the improvement of our services, and it is always a pleasure to receive positive feedbacks from our guests.

I really appreciate your words about your experience with us and waiting for your next visit as enjoyable as the previous.

Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I made a reservation at hotel Frances a month in advance for 3 nights and paid in full. I decided to surprise my girlfriend with a romantic vacation on valentine’s day. It was her first time traveling outside the U.S. so I wanted to make it perfect. I was so excited because of the location, spacious rooms, and the reasonable prices hotel Frances has to offer. Especially with all the previous positive reviews that were submitted about hotel Frances I thought I couldn't go wrong. After getting off of my flight that was delayed for a couple hours I couldn’t wait to get to my hotel room and relax and see my girlfriends face when she sees the hotel. As I walk in the hotel I was given a check in sheet. I filled out my info and gave it to the guy at the counter. he pulled my name up and gave the computer a blank stare. He then got the manager. I asked the manager is something wrong he says it’s ok I'll put you in another hotel with no explanation. I asked why, he responded with the same answer, it’s ok I’ll put you in another hotel. At this point I was furious because my room was paid for in full and I was tired and wanted some rest. He got on the phone and said I put you in another hotel. After going back and forth on why I can't stay there for another 10 minutes he finally said we are sold out of rooms. I asked you sold my room. He said yes. The hotel he placed us in was a good hotel but not nearly the size of the room I would have gotten at Frances and the room we were in was the cheapest room there. Also the prices of everything was 10 times more expensive at bar and breakfast. He called a cab for us and told us we will be ok at the other hotel. I wasn’t offered any hotel credits or any compensation at all. I would never recommend Hotel Frances to anyone based on my experience last weekend. No one should have to go through that.

-Eric

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
H2137, Gerente at Hotel Frances MGallery, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Sir,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Hotel Frances. I am really sorry that you had to go through this experience and please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Due to a technical problem in one of our rooms we could not accomodate you in our hotel. Certainly we try always to avoid this situation but unfortunately in this we had no other choice: We reserved a room for you in the Mgallery Hostal NIcolas de Ovando, which is a 5 star hotel of the same chain and same collection at 2 minutes walking distance. The hotel has some more facilities like fitness and swimming pool and 2 different restaurants.The rooms in the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando are at a higher standard level and certainly not smaller than the different rooms in Hotel Frances. There is a choice of 2 restaurants which has both a different carte with a large range of different price levels. I will take into consideration your comments about the way of communication at our reception; please note that your feedback is very important to us. I can rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to avoid the same situation in the futur and be able to react better in case of an overbooking. We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to stay in the Hotel Frances as promised in the futur.

Marion Riffelmacher
Gerente
Hotel Frances

Been to Hotel Frances MGallery? Share your experiences!