I loved everything about this hotel! The location is smack bang in the middle of the Colonial Zone, just 5 minutes walk to the major tourist areas, parks and restaurants. The rooms and common areas are spacious and cool, a welcome relief from the steamy outdoors. The staff were very friendly and accommodating.
Some helpful tips that we discovered during our stay:
- Taxis between the hotel and the airport are a set price of $40 USD each way, plus tip.There are taxis waiting outside the hotel at all times, as well as more just 1 block away. Always confirm the price with the driver before beginning your trip.
- The hotel is very strict about their check-in and check-out times (3:00PM and 12:00PM, respectively). You can leave your bags with the front desk staff but they’re left in clear view of everybody that approaches the counter, so you’re better off sticking to their set times. If you arrive early, like we did, you can always enjoy a meal and a drink at the restaurant to pass the time.
- Most places accept $USD, but many don’t have much change so it’s easier if you use Dominican Pesos. The hotel front desk will exchange small amounts (up to $50) for you, and there is a Banco Popular ATM near the hotel (we were not comfortable using the outdoor ATMs, but there are plenty of those as well).
- Do not drink the tap water. You get a free bottle of water in your room each day, but we also bought a 5L bottle of water from a supermarket on Calle El Conde, which is the main street of shops and restaurants just off Plaza de Colon (Columbus Park), and that lasted us the duration of our 3-night stay.
- Be sure to select the complimentary breakfast option when booking. It consists of a spread of pastries, cereals, fruit, cooked vegetables, bacon, cheeses, meats and juices. At your table your server will ask if you’d like to select an egg dish to be cooked to order (fried, scrambled, or omelets), as well as hot drinks (like French press coffee) which they will bring to your table--all at no extra charge.
- The hotel restaurant is open all day, with some really great food and drink options. We really enjoyed sitting in the courtyard with a cappuccino. Later in the day, when you’re finished sightseeing, grab a drink and a good book and sit upstairs on the balcony overlooking the courtyard. Heaven!
- When planning our trip, we chose most of our activities based on this web site: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/santodomingo/, as well as this TripAdvisor list: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g147289-Activities-Santo_Domingo_Santo_Domingo_Province_Dominican_Republic.html. Definitely print a map to carry with you at all times, like this one: http://www.colonialzone-dr.com/CZ_Map_print.html. The Colonial Zone is small, but you can easily get disoriented without a map.
- Every evening, we walked down to the big open square that holds the Alcazar de Colon building just after dark--only a few minutes from the hotel. There is a row of beautiful restaurants with outdoor seating, and a cool breeze coming off the water. Lots of families come down to the square at night so the children can play, and some nights there is live music, so it’s a really lovely place to eat dinner and share a bottle of wine.
- All professional staff (including those at this hotel, as well as restaurant staff and other people in the city) move at their own pace. Be patient, and leave plenty of time for things like meals and check-out.
Overall, the hotel is fantastic. It’s the kind of place that, no matter how long you stay, you want to stay longer!
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you very much for your very specified comments on your stay in our hotel and the Colonial City. We are delighted that you liked you stay here and with all the good research before coming over, you have been able to appreciate the town on all his splendour. Very kind of you to give so many good ideas for following guests and I´m sure that they will be able to see and live the city as much you did.
My team is constantly trained to give the best service and good comments are one of the best motivations to continue and to improve.
I hope you will be able to come back to Santo Domingo and to be our guest again; It will be a real pleasure for all my team to welcome you again.
Calle Las Mercedes esq. Arz Meriño
10211 Santo Domingo
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.