“Excellent place to visit!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 341 Restaurants in Santo Domingo
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Caribbean, International, Eclectic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Open since 1967, built inside a quaint natural cave, acclaimed by the New York Times as a landmark of the city of Santo Domingo. An eclectic cuisines characterize by fusions of local and Spanish dishes. Recently opened and outdoor terrace with a unique wood fire exterior kitchen, from where chefs interact with clients. The terrace has its own menu with a very excellent relation of value/quality. A recently installed elevator connects the lobby to some forty feet down to both the restaurant and the outside terrace. The terrace temperature is kept comfortable through the means of a misting system which adapts perfectly to the lush tropical garden. Live music is played every night from tuesday to friday. No cover charge.
“Excellent place to visit!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

My wife and I visited this place with son and a couple of friends. The atmosphere, the food and the service was incredible. It is a very special place.

• Visited February 2014

Roseville, MN USA
“Great fun, good food, entertaining people watching!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

This was my third visit to La Cava. This visit there were six of us, 3 couples. One couple had never been here before and were immediately awestruck by the ambience and decor. We were seated in a quiet "back cave" area even though we did not have reservations. We had a very attentive and friendly young woman as our main server. She was polite, observant, helpful, and took great care of us. Most of our party had pasta, which they raved about. My husband had the goat which was "very tasty, but a little tough" and I had the chicken roulade, which was good, but uneventful. I was a little disappointed as I ordered au gratin potatoes and received what appeared to be a twice-baked potato with cheese and bacon, etc. - not au gratin. It was a great twice-baked potato, however. Otherwise our visit was superb. We all finished with dessert - the creme brûlée was excellent, the bread pudding very well received, and the finale' - the beautiful presentation of Irish Coffee - breathtaking!!! We have had the same older gentleman prepare the Irish Coffee every visit, and he is a master of the art. Perfecto! We will definitely visit again if we are lucky enough to visit Santo Domingo in the future.

• Visited January 2014
“Service with attitude”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

The waiter actually rolled his eyes when I asked for a refill on my drink that had been empty for ten minutes. The food was nothing to brag about. Bad service to match the bad food. But the cave was really cool.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Orlando, Florida
“Beautifully Romantic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

Celebrated my birthday in DR and heard about this restaurant. Everything was delicious from the appetizer, the bread, the salad, the pasta, and dessert. The waiter and manager were great as well. The cave makes this restaurant unique.

Only downside was that a small green worm crawled off of the strawberry that garnished my coconut dessert...but that can happen.
A
I will return if I am ever again in Santo Domingo.

Visited January 2014
Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional, Dominican Republic
“An unique Restaurant in a Cave !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I often take visitors to Santo Domingo to visit this unique Restaurant located at a real Cave !
Everybody gets very impressed and always remember the experience !

• Visited December 2013