“Dominica was 1 of the greatest caribbean vacations i've ever experienced thanks to the good "Dr." Pepper :)!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Suite Pepper

You added Suite Pepper to your Saves list
Suite Pepper
3.5 of 5 Guest house   |   Housing Scheme | Jimmit, Mahaut, Roseau, Dominica   |
Special Price
15% off for weekly stay
Ranked #10 of 22 Roseau B&B and Inns
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

My girlfriend who had already planned to travel to Dominica for a full week decided to bring me along as a birthday gift. Because i came at the last minute and on such short notice i had not had much time at all to research what to do and see. Pepper (also known as 'The Doctor' to the locals) turned out to be a more than perfect host and guide. Pepper picked us from the airport and by the time we arrived at our beautiful suite we were already at ease about the remainder of the trip. On that very night of our arrival he escorted us to a place where we found ourselves lounging privately in a warm sulfur pool which sat alongside a river that lined the rainforest, and all this under a wonderful night sky!! 1 of the greatest experiences of my life. A great introduction to a week full of adventure and paradise. Within this next week Pepper drove us literally everywhere on the island. Touring, hiking (which Pepper will accompany you on), dining, grocery shopping, nightlife, whatever you want do, Pepper's smiles will take you there! He catered to our every need in the true sense of someone that really loves and is passionate about their job. He will bend over backwards for you and smile while doing so. He is very knowledgeable about the island and as you travel with him you will see that he is well-known and highly respected everywhere on the island. Last but not least i must conclude that Pepper is a genuinely good person. In my short lifetime i have been fortunate enough to travel many places around the world and have met people from all different walks of life, and with all that said, Pepper was one the most humble, good-natured and good-hearted people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. He made our trip better than we ever expected, I'm still smiling :)!!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

We booked Pepper’s Apartment for nine nights in February. Jimmit is 5 ½ miles north of Roseau. The neighbourhood has good quality homes, mountain views, and cooling breezes. There are NO shops or restaurants within walking distance. Frequent mini-buses to Roseau run past the noisy road in front of the house.

The apartment is rustic; roomy for two, but certainly NOT for four adults. This was likely the dirtiest room I’ve ever stayed in: cobwebs, ancient dust bunnies, grimy dust on every surface, scummy bathtub, dirty rugs and a floor that needed sweeping. The old paint tape around the windows and floorboards, and a few random items lying about for no reason added to the atmosphere of neglect.

There is no proper space to sit outside to read or relax. The website (which tends to oversell this place) raves about the roof. In fact it’s rough concrete with no railing, and rebar and pipes sticking up.

There are a few things missing: hand towels, face towels, alarm clock/radio, microwave, coffee maker, laundry soap, maid service, and an information binder. Lighting in the kitchen area is poor. Cooking utensils are low quality, and only two forks. There is no garbage pickup in the room, and dogs bark day and night.

A request for a light bulb was met after 4 days. Towels aren’t replaced, so we washed our own. The TV is small, but gets satellite channels. The beds are “okay”, but my back started to ache after a few nights. The bed sheets are low quality. The a/c works well. The website says the bathroom is “luxurious”. In fact, it’s very basic. The medicine cabinet projects out over the sink, making washing, shaving, etc., awkward.

Breakfast was included, but I would recommend that you make your own. Pepper asked when we would like breakfast. We suggested 8 am. He said 7 am. But in fact, breakfast arrived on Pepper’s schedule at anytime between 7 and 8:10. Sad to say, but they were probably the worst breakfasts we’ve ever had in a hotel or B&B. Most items were WAY too sweet or unappetizing.

The website mentioned the use of a laptop, but when I asked Pepper about it he suggested I ask my neighbour. The washing machine didn’t work and Pepper suggested I ask to use our neighbour’s. We asked about a ride into town and he again suggested I ask my neighbour for a lift. I began to think I should have been paying my neighbour instead!

Our package included tours. The time schedule is “relaxed”, so we spent a lot of time waiting and wondering. The tour van is new and comfortable. Pepper can take you to spots you’d never find on your own, and he's a friendly and personable guy. Tours include a few stops for Pepper ‘s personal business. We avoided the cruise ship crowds, but our tours had to fit into his schedule. Transportation to and from the airport was included.

I’d give Suite Pepper a three point rating balancing the price with the weak points. Pepper is a busy guy; unfortunately if one is too busy it can be hard to do everything well. This isn’t a bad place to stay, but potential guests should be aware of what to expect.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2009

Staying at Pepper´s Appartment was one of the best decisions we made for our trip to Dominica. We were a party of 4 (2 couples) who stayed in one of his appartments. The appartments are self contained with a kitchen enough to cook for 4, clean toilet and shower, AC, free internet. The only minor downside was that the appartment was open plan with 2 double beds offering limited privacy for each couple. However as we were only there to sleep after a long day adventuring this was not a major issue as the cost per person for this was excellent.

On the plus side Pepper was an incredibly helpful resource when organising our stay and planning activities, from the hiring of a 4x4 to locating some of the most secluded and beautiful beaches on the island. I would recommend anyone who was looking for a place to stay on Dominica to drop Pepper a line and find out how he can help you.

In addition. The location, just north of Roseau, will require you to hire a vehicle (4x4 recommended as driving on the roads is one of the experiences!). But this shouldn't be a problem as the hiring of a vehicle is an essential requirement for anyone who comes to the island in order to enable exploration.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Charlotte
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

i stayed a week in one of the apartments. The place was very comfortable. Everything was clean, there were appliances so I could make coffee and a small breakfast each morning. It was convenient to Roseau but private as well. I could either open the windows or have the air condition running. I loved my stay and recommend to anyone who would like a nice place to stay. You will need a car to get into Roseau though.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
DENVER
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

This review is actually for Peppers Suites bed and breakfast in Jimmit, Dominica. (Same owner). Pepper was an excellent host and answered all my questions. He was great. He also offers wonderful guided trips anywhere on the island if you need him. The studio was a very well kept property and very comfortable. Parking was right in front of your studio door. In addition my whole island visit was probably the best of my life. The wonderful hikes, waterfalls, snorkeling, eating and every other amazing thing I was able to do. What an excellent trip. Thank you Pepper and Dominica.
John.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Coral Gables, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2008

Suite Pepper is located in a peaceful residential neighborhood in Jimmit. Jimmit is about a ten or fifteen minutes drive north of Roseau. The homes are very nice in this neighborhood. I would guess that a lot of professionals and business people who work in the capitol make their homes here and commute daily. There is a fabulous view of the Caribbean Sea and of the historic Rodney's Rock from atop the roof.

The rooms are of a nice size and offer all the comforts of home: kitchenette, clothes washing machine (very nice for stays of more than a few days. You can pack lightly and just wash as you go. No more worrying about checked luggage!), television, nice new modern a/c unit (so you don't have to worry about it breaking during your stay as happens at many hotels), spotless tiled floors, kitchen table and chairs, ironing board and iron. All you need to make a temporary home away from home... And the prices are very reasonable. All of this combines to make an ideal accomodation for someone staying an extended period of time on the island. Plus, a rare gift for a tourist, you will feel like a local. You will see Dominicans going about their daily lives. For example, one morning a distinguished looking man walked up the road talking to himself. He then said hello to Pepper and us as he passed. Pepper explained he was rehearsing his lines for a play he was acting in! We were also introduced to Pepper's lovely family: Natasha, his 4 year old son Junior, and Natalia his new baby daughter!

The best part of Suite Pepper is Pepper. He is a genuinely nice person. We saw many instances of this as we spent time with him. Also to his credit, he is incredibly generous with his knowledge. When we were touring with him, several times he helped tourists who were confused about where to go on the trails or gave advice to other tourists when they asked for help. So I know if you are a guest at Suite Pepper and choose to tour independently he will be a tremendous resource for you. However, if you are coming for a extended visit and do plan to rent a car I recommend you tour with Pepper the first few days until you become acclimated to the island. If you are not on Dominica for ten days or more it really isn't worth the stressful driving and I strongly advise hiring Pepper for all your touring.

There were so many times when my husband and I were soooo glad we weren't driving. We were there for nine nights and I feel the trip would have been miserable if we were driving ourselves. And we aren't timid travelers: we have driven on the left side of the road in the U.K., Grand Cayman, and St. John in the U.S.V.I. but Dominica is a special case. And we normally really value our privacy and independence. We were hesitant about going with a guide but we are so glad we did. I cannot emphasize enough that Dominica is different... We have hiked in the Canadian Rockies (bear country!), Yellowstone, Yosemite, Costa Rica, etc. but the trails in Dominica are rugged and aren't what most of us are used to. I thought I could hike. Uh, no. Up until now I had been walking. In Dominica I really *hiked* for the first time. Trails have junctions that aren't marked, river crossings are common, there are slippery rocks... Personally I never ever would have gone on those trails without a guide. Even Middleham Falls has a junction where one can easily make a wrong turn!

We were also happy we toured with Pepper instead of renting a car because we would have wasted so much time being lost and attempting to find trailheads, etc. Vacation time is valuable and it is so expensive to get to Dominica. I wanted to see a lot. We were able to pack in a lot of sights and activities with Pepper but it wasn't stressful as he was the one driving us from place to place. I had made an ambitious list of things I wanted to see and do on the trip. We did all those and much more. And we still had two days to relax at the beaches and pool to rest up before returning home. Pepper never rushed us, everything was done at our pace.

A tour guide is also invaluable as many of the trailheads and trails aren't exactly straighforward so it would have been agonizing to be unsure if we were in the right place or not the whole time. There would have been uncomforable feelings of "Uh, those boulders look awfully large. I don't think we are supposed to cross *here*... " The assurance a guide gives is great. And it is safer. Rocks are slippery, stairs are steep... It is nice to know there is a third person if help is needed. And we didn't have the stress of driving. To me, it was worth the extra money to have an experienced local driver behind the wheel. I wanted that factor of safety.

Pepper also knew all the must-see sights. For instance, I had opted to skip Cabrits National Park as my interest was geared more toward nature than history. Pepper was horrified when he heard this. He said we really should go and I am so glad we did. The restored buildings were interesting and the views looking out over Prince Rupert Bay were amazing.

Also, thanks to the very affordable rate given to us by Pepper we were able to hire a guide for four full days instead of one or two. Why would we rent a car and have the hassle when we could have our own private guide to show us the island for less than $100 more than the cost of a rental car and gas per day? It made our decision easier.

I learned Pepper even gives people a tour on the way to their hotel from the airport. I wish I had asked him to pick us up and avoided the stress of the taxi fiasco we experienced!

I have to share this! Pepper was exceptionally dedicated to making his guests' stay incredible. He went way above and beyond. Our itinerary had him picking us up at Beau Rive and touring with us for the day and then dropping us at Jungle Bay for one night and then picking us up before heading with us to Roseau. As he lives near Roseau, he actually spent the night at a friend's house in a nearby village two nights so he could make it to our scheduled pick-up times of 8:30am each morning! This is even more incredible--- he did the east coast hikes the day before we were scheduled to hike to familiarize himself with current trail conditions!!! Who other than Pepper would go to so much trouble? Just unbelievable. This guy really tries so hard to take care of you.

Oh, and when Dr. Lennox Honeychurch came over to say hello to Pepper when we were at Cabrits National Park, he introduced us to him. Dr. Honeychurch is a well-respected author and historian. I thought that was quite impressive!

Pepper was also an amazing hiking guide. He got me to do things I would never have pictured myself doing: scrambling over boulders, walking along paths with drop-offs (I'm sooo scared of heights)... And he was so patient when I went at a snail's pace over difficult places in the trail (well, difficult for me anyway). I was ridiculously terrified of slipping on wet rocks- you are in the rainforest after all- that I probably walked those trails slower than anyone had ever done in the past. My husband would lose patience and take off down the trail. Ha ha. Put Pepper, bless him, never left my side. He had the patience of Job. As you can probably deduce from reading this, I'm not the most adventurous person. But I did Sari Sari with Pepper along with an uncut trail to a hidden waterfall not many people know about, along with many other trails. So he will put even the most hesitant hiker at ease!

Another huge bonus of touring with a guide: avoiding crowds on cruise ship days! By the way, if you are coming by cruise ship you can still tour with Pepper and avoid the crowds- he will simply take you to sights at different times from when the hordes from the organized excursions descend. After all, who wants to experience the rainforest with crowds of people? We did the rainforest sights in Morne Trois PItons National Park on a day 3900 passengers were in port ( 2 ships at 1950 passenger capacity each) and we had each attraction **to ourselves**. That was because our guide, Pepper, knew the schedule of the cruise exursions so he knew where to take us early and then later.

I cannot tell you how happy we were with Pepper. He was incredible. He was enthusiastic, always on time(even on the say he picked us up at 6am!), an excellent driver (very important on the island), incredibly knowledgeable and honest. He never rushed us and actually our tours lasted longer than we had expected because he showed us spots I hadn't requested to see. One day, after being with us for seven hours he offered to take us up to Sulphur Springs **twenty minutes** away to relax our muscles. He wasn't even going to make extra money for the extra two/three hours the excursion would have taken but he offered to take us. We hadn't even mentioned it! We were too tired so we declined. His character was unimpeachable. We relaxed knowing we were being taken care of by such an honest person. And his love of Dominica was amazing. He knew *everything* about it. He is quite an impressive guy. He speaks three languages: English (obviously!), French, and Creole. He is a licensed real estate agent. He has a degree in building construction. He owns two accomodations. He is a licensed tour guide.

We have traveled extensively and have **never** been treated so well as we were by Pepper. Rest assured anything done by him or with him is top-notch. We know we had the best tour guide on the island.

Sorry for the length but I tried to convey how incredible our experiences were with this person. We are still talking about him and we've been back for several days now...

• Liked — Pepper's excellence as a tour guide!
  • Disliked — There was nothing to dislike.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2008

At late notice my family and I were accommodated at Suite Pepper for two weeks. The location in Jimmit, Mahaut was ideal as it presented the peace and quiet needed after participation in the World Creole Festival and Independence Day celebrations. The view from the apartment's veranda, day and night, was awesome and the open space for the children in my family to play was far removed from the heavy traffic the celebrations created.

Our friendly host "Dr." Pepper, from the commencement of our stay, was fantastic. He perfected the family's vacation by securing our comfort; with small children in the group, this was an imperative feature he captured - a home from home experience. A family man himself, he fully understood the little accidents we had and dealt with them with a "smile". He gave us insights into some of Dominica's hidden treasures and escorted us on some of them too. He participated in us having the time of our lives!

With the exception of a few members of the family, we are frequent visitors of Dominica and have stayed in many districts on the island. It was however the first time for all of us to stay in Jimmit, Mahaut and we were made so welcome by the host, Pepper, and his neighbours. One of the neighbours and hairdresser in the district styled our hair in preparation for the wedding we were in Dominica to attend, and on another day invited us to her own birthday party. By another neighbour, we were given home grown advocados so big it took two hands to hold! The apartment was fresh, cool and clean and provided us with protection from the hungry mosquitos! Our group was large and the apartment gave us two large bedrooms, and two large bathrooms which catered adequately for the bathtime rush! The whole experience was enhanced by the attentive nature of our host, Pepper. On two occasions he drove us to the airport to catch our respective early morning flights. On the first occasion, he coupled the returm journey from the airport with the much needed escort to the northern part of the island - the remainder of us visitied old contacts in Woodford Hill, Calibishe and Castle Bruce. Along the way, he pointed out and took us to many places of interest, the most interesting of all was the isolated white sand Hampstead Beach - this beach is absolutely amazing. This highlighted Pepper's knowledge of the most intricate parts of the island. A registered tour guide of Dominica he also took us to the Midland Falls - a 45 minute walk/hike to one of the tallest falls on the island, where the pool below is cool, deep and wide and where two rainbows are mostly always visible - for starters, and to Screw's Sulphur Spa for a warm relaxing treatment to the four pools of variant temparatues of warm to hot water which comes from from the hot and cold lakes of Dominica - a perfect wind down of the day - brilliant!

Suite Pepper is strongly recommended as a place to stay for families, groups of friends and the like particularly for its location and the space its provides. No request was too much for the host Pepper, all you need do is ask. If he can't help on any one occasion, "don't lose your smile" because he knows someone who can! Where my family are concerned we have individually stated that Suite Pepper is definitely the first port of call when visiting Dominica again no matter what size our group will be.

• Liked — The space and cleansiness.
  • Disliked — There was nothing to dislike.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Suite Pepper? Share your experiences!