“Stay elsewhere” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel & Suites Curacao

You added Clarion Hotel & Suites Curacao to your Saves list
Clarion Hotel & Suites Curacao
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   World Trade Center Piscadera Bay z/n, Willemstad 6199, Curacao   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #27 of 30 Hotels in Willemstad
Cuernavaca, Mexico
“Stay elsewhere”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Young solo traveler on a budget- I picked this hotel as the reviews at the time were balanced. While the free parking is a plus, the room was a negative. My internet signal was weak. The water in the shower was COLD. Also, while getting out of the shower, I noticed a large amount of feces smeared behind the toilet and wall. Definitely disgusting and definitely not from me. The rooms need a deep cleaning as the bright red stains in the carpet made it feel that much worse.

The desk staff was very unfriendly and took nearly 30 minutes to complete my check-in, seemingly deciding if they were going to authorize my reservation. They offered no assistance with recommendations for local food or attractions... and I'm bilingual, so it wasn't a language barrier.

The beach across the street is nice, but no view of it from the room. I sat by the pool during the day, which had no other guests, but provided a shady atmosphere to read quietly. In the evening I went to the bigger hotel nearby as they had a large restaurant, bar, and a casino. Nothing else within walking distance. You'll need a car to get around Curacao as cabs are expensive and no public transportation.

Room Tip: Get a room near the lobby to use their wifi.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Miguel_CUR, Gerente at Clarion Hotel & Suites Curacao, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Good afternoon, first of all I want to thank you for your comment, which will be taken into account to improve our services, which we regret that your experience has not met your expectations to be our guest on the island of curacao.nos promise to give continuous monitoring such failures and so on your next trip you may realize that their recommendations were taken into account

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Cartwright, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

I booked this hotel for a vacation in Curacao and was greatly disappointed. There is mold throughout the room, an overwhelming malodorous smell radiates from the AC unit, there is a tile missing in the ceiling through which there is visible mold, the toilet was fixed by my partner as it continued to be non-functioning, there were no towels left during the cleaning of the room, the sheets were not clean when we arrived, the bed linens had multiple holes in them, and the glasses in the room were visibly dirty, with a sticky substance being on the underside of one of the paper coverings. Staff are unfriendly as compared with other hotels in the area (we ventured out during the day and were repeatedly told how horrible the Clarion hotel was by other establishments). We had 1 room key and asked repeatedly for a 2nd room key which was provided but didn't work any of the multiple times it was provided. Each time we asked for a 2nd room key it was as if we were asking too much of staff. I cannot believe anyone would stay in this hotel! Hotel management would not refund our money as we had prepaid for the hotel. This hotel is in disrepair and in need of new management and a much needed makeover, including mold removal. I can only image the illness which spreads to unaware travelers staying in this hotel. This is a true health hazard!

Room Tip: "Don't stay at this hotel!"
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I too had to stay here as courtesy of the InselAir airline. This hotel is absolutely grotesque! I can't even believe its considered a hotel!! I stayed at the Marriot while I visited curaçao and it was lovely and had an impeccable staff. At the Clarion however, the staff is extremely rude and it was honestly the absolute WORST hotel I have EVER stayed in. First of all, from the moment you walk in their is a horrendous stench of mold which can literally be seen with the naked eye in certain areas throughout the hotel. Also, apparently there is a Medical university located in front of the hotel which is loaded with students almost as if it was their dorm and I was just appalled as a guest to see some people from the hotel slashing the tires of the poor students because they didn't want them parking in the their parking lot. Regardless of the fact that they are students, they are still guests and It just goes to show the level of disrespect these people had at the Clarion. I felt so bad for the students. To top it off my room was dirty and I can honestly say EVERYTHING was old and broken. You can see that they attempted to put in some new items to cover it up but nothing was going to cut it. The only thing that will save that hotel is to tear it down and start from zero. Please, I literally beg you NOT TO STAY AT THE CLARION!! You will leave their traumatized!! Stay at the Marriot, Hilton or Floris!!

On a side note we stayed at the MARRIOT, my husband and I went for 2 weeks and it was absolutely great...I wouldn't say it was the best hotel ever but it was very clean, the food was wonderful, lovely staff and overall great atmosphere. I would definitely recommend the Marriot!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
MiguelCUR, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Suites Curacao, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear Guest:

First of all I would like to apologize to you for any inconvenience that the explained situation may have caused to you. We work everyday to provide all our guests the best service and to make their stay in Curaçao as pleasant as possible. As General Manager of the Clarion Hotel & Suites Curaçao I will personally take care of all the aspects you explained in your message. To do that I would like to kindly ask you for your stay details (check in date, room number where you stayed and the name of the Front Desk Clerk that assisted you) so I can take the necessary actions.

Once again our deepest apologies and thank you for bringing this matter to our knowledge. This would help us to improve our performance in Quality Service.

Miguel de Freitas
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

We were sent to the Clarion courtesy of a cancelled Insel Air flight. The hotel's next to the World Trade Centre. The room was clean & everything in good repair. Beds were comfortable though we had only a few hours before heading back to the airport. It's not a holiday resort but is quite a reasonable business hotel.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Orlando, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We were placed here by our overbooked airline. The hotel is trying but needs a great deal of work. There was 1 bare bulb in the room for light. The blanket on the bed had dried plaster all over it. There was a bad patchwork of water damage on the ceiling. I can't believe they didn't sand down the ceiling, they just painted over it. The safe in my room was locked and needed to find someone who spoke English to get someone to unlock. The baseboard fell off the wall and was on the stained brand new rug. Yes, they put in new rugs and then renovated the room so it is damaged, dirty and stained. There was NO hot water in the sink and the cold water was a slow trickle at best. I needed to use the shower to wash my hands. The shower curtain was too short and the drain was plugged. This resulted in water flowing out of the shower to all over the floor and into the hallway and room. The brand new furniture was damaged during installation and missing the draw handles on some but, not all drawers. The breakfast buffet was scary....a dirty plastic container of corn flakes, a tea pot with room temperature milk sitting on the folding table...scrambled eggs that had a scary film on them, 5 hard boiled eggs lined up on a folding table with nothing to keep them cool, some sort of meat and a few rotting bananas. I saw coffee...no tea. They replace the place setting but don't clean the table so,there is salt, sugar, pepper and crumbs on your table from a previous guest......VERY happy to check out!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Maracaibo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night because a flight cancellation (by the way, never ever flight Dutch Antilles Express).

The hotel is located in a quiet area, in front of the sea (no beach there, just a boardwalk). It is rather far from the airport and there are not many places to go at a walkable distance.

The lady in the front desk was not polite at all, I gave her the voucher given by the airline in the airport, she barely looked at it, frowned and said "I don´t know anything about this reservation, you will have to pay for your room". After a while, she decided to call somebody to ask about our voucher and finally agreed to give us a room.

The room was just OK for a hotel this category. It was clean but smelled very bad because of humidity and WiFi signal just disappeared after entering the room. Bathroom was just OK as well, clean but with floor covered by water (which condensate because of humidity) and worn out towels. Shower is inside a tub, so you must jump inside, which is dangerous considering slippery floor and wet tub.

The hotel features an outdoor restaurant which we tried (there were nowhere else to go near the hotel). Menu was rather limited but meals where OK. We didn't try the tiny swimming pool.

I cannot assess hotel value, because our stay was paid by airline.

In summary:

PROS: Quiet hotel, clean room.
CONS: Smelly and humid room, impolite receptionist, far from airport and downtown

I am not crazy about coming back to Curacao, but If I do, I will probably stay someplace else.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Panama City, Panama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Very bad experience their location is not bad, near the beach, but the service is terrible, the rooms are dirty, moist, there was mold all araund the sink.
My room was at ground floor and I was never able to opened the window do to a terrace in front of my room
The breakfast was the same everyday fried eggs, bread, cereal, and cheese, we did complain and they change to boiled eggs.
Internet just in the lobby, they have to lobbys, but only one reception

Room Tip: Choose another place
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Clarion Hotel & Suites Curacao? Share your experiences!