“Central location but lousy otherwise” 2 of 5 stars

Howard Johnson Curacao Plaza Hotel & Casino
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Brionplein z/n | Otrobanda, Willemstad, Curacao   |
Ranked #22 of 27 Hotels in Willemstad
St Maarten-St Martin
“Central location but lousy otherwise”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

I knew I wasn't going to a fancy hotel here - I've been here before. But I liked it last time because they placed me where I reserved, and it's relatively central. This time I got the view of the waterway, over the parking lot, not the ocean view as advertised and booked (for more money). Although I made my reservation months in advance, and I'm a repeat customer, that didn't count for anything. Reception staff were not helpful, wanting to know what's 'wrong' with my room - first, there's no view of the ocean, second, there's no privacy - everybody in the parking lot can see straight into your room once you open the curtain. Also, they kept telling me to come back tomorrow to see if I could change my room - 3 days they said this - I tried to no avail!!
Forgot to mention, they take a $100 deposit as a guarantee in case YOU damage anything.
You can bet your last dollar I won't be coming back here. Restaurant bill can't be signed to the room, the restaurant staff hardly understand English. They told me the breakfast was $7 and when I came to pay it was $17 - sorry! Oh, and the maids took my towel that I left hanging because it didn't need to change, and didn't replace it or the bathmat - 2 days in a row. I had to ask for the fresh towels. You'll notice most of my ratings are high - but I had to be honest about this place. It's not worth the money.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Paramaribo, Suriname
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

This hotel is right in town,the only you have to do is cross the bridge and there you'll have all the shops for shopping,there is a nice view,the bridge opens and closes.In the night you have nice breeze.The people working at the reception of the hotel were very kind.We had a miscommunication with our travel agency and thought that the rooms were booked already,so when we arrived there thinking everything was fixed,we had a problem,because the rooms were not reserved,and they were full.So the people tried their best and got us two rooms.And they were always there if we needed any advice or directions.the hotel rooms were clean and tidy.We felt very comfortable staying there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
, Tobago, Trinidad and Tobago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Average stay cannot be compared to the Howard Johnson in the states though, free continental breakfast was 2 slices of bread and sausage had to pay extra for eggs which i thought was ridiculous. Its right in the middle of everything so easy access to shopping and sights but be careful because entrance to some rooms is on the street though you are using a key to enter its poorly lit. Though i didn't speak any papiamento i got my point across to the male desk clerk who spoke excellent english. Wifi only in the lobby so you have to spend alot of time there inputting your codes if you need to check stuff, ended up buying a digicel Curacao sim card cuz roaming and staying in the lobby was way more expensive than that. Good stay if you lan to explore the island alot and shop and just use the room for baths and sleep not a luxury hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

I wasted money already staying there so I wont waste time to list all that's wrong. Just one word to describe the place : DEGUEULASSE (filthy in english i think). From the reception area to towels, evrything is dirty. It does not make a difference that the peoole working there are helpful.
It is a shame.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Buenos Aires, Argentina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

I made a mistake thinking it is a good chain of hotels. I was SO disappointed!! I will never book again to any Howard Johnson!!
This hotel in Curazao was a problem from the beginning and every day we faced a new problem. I will list some important points to consider:
*All the rooms smell like "smoking rooms" (also the "non-smoking" rooms!) (we asked to change the first room assigned and we visited 3 more in same disgusting conditions). You can also find the same smell in all the corridors!
*The hotel was under mantenance so some floors were a mess and there were people working on corridors.
*Wi-fi connection free only in lobby and it had poor signal.
*The rooms had just a soft ilumination (it means it was not enough at night!)
*No refrigerators at rooms
*Street noise because of the bridge and because of the restaurants around.
*No shampoo on bathrooms. Just soap.
*No towells for hands. You have just 2 towels for a double room. I had to ask one more every day.
*No plastic courtain in the bathtub, so when you take a shower there were water everywhere in the floor of the bathroom (an innecesary mess).
*One day, we arrived from the beach and we had no hot water in the bathroom and shower! We phoned to the Reception (at 6pm) and she told us that many people were calling telling her the same, but it was too late to call for a mantenance person!!! Unbelievable!
*The tv in the standard room was old fashion and all the channels had bad signal (you cant see a normal image). So, you can't watch the TV.
*The room's carpet was dirty and had spots everywhere (it means they never cleaned it)
*The breakfast was VERY poor.
*The pool was small and not very nice. It also seems dirty.
*The location of this hotel is far from any beach. I think a better place to stay is near the "sea acquarium" beaches.
I will never back to this hotel or any other of this chain. It was a waste of money and a very unconfortable and unpleasant stay!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Oranjestad, null, Aruba
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed here with my family in April 2013, the rooms were not that big and average.But the price is ok for what you get. But what stands out is the location, Howard Johnson is close by the " Emma brigde" that you cross over to get to Punda. Punda is great for shopping and dining.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Willemstad, Curacao
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

There was no fridge in the room, I called for electric kettle and was told I have to wait for the next day before I could get one. I ask to borrow the iron n was told $15 to borrow and I have to wait for the next colleague to get there because the one there face is dirty and it was shown to me.the furnitures look terrible the lobby looks run down , the front door to go to the elevator looks so dirty and unattractive. For the price charged it should be a better quality and room service.oh n to get wifi u have to go in the lobby that way u go outside in the public eye to go to the lobby. The bathroom tiles need to scrub n pool nasty

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Howard Johnson Curacao Plaza Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!