“Average do not compare to other Howard Johnson's...” 3 of 5 stars

Howard Johnson Curacao Plaza Hotel & Casino
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Brionplein z/n | Otrobanda, Willemstad, Curacao   |
Ranked #25 of 30 Hotels in Willemstad
, Tobago, Trinidad and Tobago
“Average do not compare to other Howard Johnson's...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Average stay cannot be compared to the Howard Johnson in the states though, free continental breakfast was 2 slices of bread and sausage had to pay extra for eggs which i thought was ridiculous. Its right in the middle of everything so easy access to shopping and sights but be careful because entrance to some rooms is on the street though you are using a key to enter its poorly lit. Though i didn't speak any papiamento i got my point across to the male desk clerk who spoke excellent english. Wifi only in the lobby so you have to spend alot of time there inputting your codes if you need to check stuff, ended up buying a digicel Curacao sim card cuz roaming and staying in the lobby was way more expensive than that. Good stay if you lan to explore the island alot and shop and just use the room for baths and sleep not a luxury hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

I wasted money already staying there so I wont waste time to list all that's wrong. Just one word to describe the place : DEGUEULASSE (filthy in english i think). From the reception area to towels, evrything is dirty. It does not make a difference that the peoole working there are helpful.
It is a shame.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Buenos Aires, Argentina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

I made a mistake thinking it is a good chain of hotels. I was SO disappointed!! I will never book again to any Howard Johnson!!
This hotel in Curazao was a problem from the beginning and every day we faced a new problem. I will list some important points to consider:
*All the rooms smell like "smoking rooms" (also the "non-smoking" rooms!) (we asked to change the first room assigned and we visited 3 more in same disgusting conditions). You can also find the same smell in all the corridors!
*The hotel was under mantenance so some floors were a mess and there were people working on corridors.
*Wi-fi connection free only in lobby and it had poor signal.
*The rooms had just a soft ilumination (it means it was not enough at night!)
*No refrigerators at rooms
*Street noise because of the bridge and because of the restaurants around.
*No shampoo on bathrooms. Just soap.
*No towells for hands. You have just 2 towels for a double room. I had to ask one more every day.
*No plastic courtain in the bathtub, so when you take a shower there were water everywhere in the floor of the bathroom (an innecesary mess).
*One day, we arrived from the beach and we had no hot water in the bathroom and shower! We phoned to the Reception (at 6pm) and she told us that many people were calling telling her the same, but it was too late to call for a mantenance person!!! Unbelievable!
*The tv in the standard room was old fashion and all the channels had bad signal (you cant see a normal image). So, you can't watch the TV.
*The room's carpet was dirty and had spots everywhere (it means they never cleaned it)
*The breakfast was VERY poor.
*The pool was small and not very nice. It also seems dirty.
*The location of this hotel is far from any beach. I think a better place to stay is near the "sea acquarium" beaches.
I will never back to this hotel or any other of this chain. It was a waste of money and a very unconfortable and unpleasant stay!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Oranjestad, null, Aruba
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed here with my family in April 2013, the rooms were not that big and average.But the price is ok for what you get. But what stands out is the location, Howard Johnson is close by the " Emma brigde" that you cross over to get to Punda. Punda is great for shopping and dining.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Willemstad, Curacao
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

There was no fridge in the room, I called for electric kettle and was told I have to wait for the next day before I could get one. I ask to borrow the iron n was told $15 to borrow and I have to wait for the next colleague to get there because the one there face is dirty and it was shown to me.the furnitures look terrible the lobby looks run down , the front door to go to the elevator looks so dirty and unattractive. For the price charged it should be a better quality and room service.oh n to get wifi u have to go in the lobby that way u go outside in the public eye to go to the lobby. The bathroom tiles need to scrub n pool nasty

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
San Fernando, Trinidad
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My first impression of the hotel was a good one, reception was excellent, got wifi password and was quite contented.... that was until I was directed to my room... I had to exit the hotel lobby-that is to walk back outside- in order to access stairs/elevator. I was a bit terrified because it was my first time at this hotel and I was alone. But I did make it to my room safely and was impressed with the room. It was huge with a king bed with an old tattered couch and recliner. But what cheered me up was the balcony. I had a beautiful view of Punda and the floating bridge which I really enjoyed. The downside was that there's NO WIFI once you get to your room. Only the lobby. I asked for coffee and a coffee maker for my room and was surprised when all I got was a coffee maker and 2 cups!! Where did the expect me to get the coffee/creamer/sugar from?

The following morning, left my room and noticed the carpet in the corridors had a horrible smell. I practically held my breath! Then I had to use the rather slow and hot elevator and again exit the hotel to access the lobby and the cafe for breakfast. That's when I saw the pool. One word-disgusting. I won't even bathe my dog in there. For breakfast I was served cold eggs, watery coffee and tasty hot arepas. The nice lady at breakfast made me forget that my eggs were cold because of her warm smile and friendly demeanor. If you don't like the cafe food, just do like I did... theres KFC, Subway and Pizza Hut downstairs. Or the Mall next door with a wide variety of tasty food.
In conclusion, yes I will stay here again if i need to do business. The furniture was old and needs to be changed, but the bed was clean, view was beautiful and the staff was friendly.

• Stayed May 2013
Paramaribo, Suriname
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Minus: no automatic sliding doors, which makes it difficult to move around if you have a lot a baggage, elevator is hot and closes twice on the second floor before taking you to the lobby, bad lighting in the corridors, no signs to give you direction to your room, no hot water, slippery bathtub, flickering lights in bathroom, no American power outlets, bad housekeeping, nasty looking furniture in lobby and room, dirty pool, limited breakfast choice, tripping hazard along side pool, ironing board no iron, old fridge, toilet placed too close to the toilet paper holder.

Plus: great bed, friendly receptionist (although I was told when I checked in that I did not have to pay immediately.....turned out I had to), great view (if you have a balcony.....room 224), kfc, pizza hut and subway all in the same building.......

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Howard Johnson Curacao Plaza Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!