“Location, location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 27 hotels in Willemstad
Oranjestad, null, Aruba
“Location, location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed here with my family in April 2013, the rooms were not that big and average.But the price is ok for what you get. But what stands out is the location, Howard Johnson is close by the " Emma brigde" that you cross over to get to Punda. Punda is great for shopping and dining.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

98 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Willemstad, Curacao
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

There was no fridge in the room, I called for electric kettle and was told I have to wait for the next day before I could get one. I ask to borrow the iron n was told $15 to borrow and I have to wait for the next colleague to get there because the one there face is dirty and it was shown to me.the furnitures look terrible the lobby looks run down , the front door to go to the elevator looks so dirty and unattractive. For the price charged it should be a better quality and room service.oh n to get wifi u have to go in the lobby that way u go outside in the public eye to go to the lobby. The bathroom tiles need to scrub n pool nasty

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
San Fernando, Trinidad
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My first impression of the hotel was a good one, reception was excellent, got wifi password and was quite contented.... that was until I was directed to my room... I had to exit the hotel lobby-that is to walk back outside- in order to access stairs/elevator. I was a bit terrified because it was my first time at this hotel and I was alone. But I did make it to my room safely and was impressed with the room. It was huge with a king bed with an old tattered couch and recliner. But what cheered me up was the balcony. I had a beautiful view of Punda and the floating bridge which I really enjoyed. The downside was that there's NO WIFI once you get to your room. Only the lobby. I asked for coffee and a coffee maker for my room and was surprised when all I got was a coffee maker and 2 cups!! Where did the expect me to get the coffee/creamer/sugar from?

The following morning, left my room and noticed the carpet in the corridors had a horrible smell. I practically held my breath! Then I had to use the rather slow and hot elevator and again exit the hotel to access the lobby and the cafe for breakfast. That's when I saw the pool. One word-disgusting. I won't even bathe my dog in there. For breakfast I was served cold eggs, watery coffee and tasty hot arepas. The nice lady at breakfast made me forget that my eggs were cold because of her warm smile and friendly demeanor. If you don't like the cafe food, just do like I did... theres KFC, Subway and Pizza Hut downstairs. Or the Mall next door with a wide variety of tasty food.
In conclusion, yes I will stay here again if i need to do business. The furniture was old and needs to be changed, but the bed was clean, view was beautiful and the staff was friendly.

• Stayed May 2013
Paramaribo, Suriname
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Minus: no automatic sliding doors, which makes it difficult to move around if you have a lot a baggage, elevator is hot and closes twice on the second floor before taking you to the lobby, bad lighting in the corridors, no signs to give you direction to your room, no hot water, slippery bathtub, flickering lights in bathroom, no American power outlets, bad housekeeping, nasty looking furniture in lobby and room, dirty pool, limited breakfast choice, tripping hazard along side pool, ironing board no iron, old fridge, toilet placed too close to the toilet paper holder.

Plus: great bed, friendly receptionist (although I was told when I checked in that I did not have to pay immediately.....turned out I had to), great view (if you have a balcony.....room 224), kfc, pizza hut and subway all in the same building.......

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
San Nicolas, Aruba
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

the room smells bad.. the tv is too small.. The bed was cheap not so comfortable.. didn't like it at all :S I expected more! it has wel a great view and is in a good location.. it has been the worst place I've ever stayed in Curacao!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

i think this is the worst hotel i have ever been too. moss around the pool area.breakfast staff not properly no hair nets hence hair in food.
roaches in rooms. dark corridors and bad bulbs in rooms.
on the up side the room was very spacious with new tv and comfy bed-sheets seemed clean.
bathtub was is a trap-accident waiting to happen watch yr step in and out.
good location though alth felt a little unsafe walking back to the hotel at night it is a nice central location.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
TOBAGO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

The reception at the hotel was excellent. The hotel is situated in an ideal spot-heart of Town.
But the worst part is that they were not cleaning the rooms until we complained, and then we realise that the sheets were not being changed so we had to report that and then they will come, that's crazy. Imagine we were there for 7 nights. And i carried my niece on a suprise trip, first time out of the country and that is what i expose her too.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Howard Johnson Curacao Plaza Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!