“Beautiful Water” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao

You added Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao to your Saves list
Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Dr. Martin Luther King Blvd. 78, Willemstad, Curacao (Formerly Princess Beach Curacao Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$50 Air Credit+Kids Free
Ranked #14 of 29 Hotels in Willemstad
Pennsville, New Jersey
“Beautiful Water”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

The beautiful waters, room in the towers and friendly staff made this vacation for our family of six. I mostly would like to thank Xavier. What a hard working manager. (I don't think he had a day off the whole time we were there). If we had an issue or problem, he took care of it right away. We had no problem getting into restaurants, always easy to get a chair and shade on beach. We could enter water without water shoes and we enjoyed the bartenders and the hard working women at the beach grill everyday making hotdogs and fries (hamburgers not so good). Café was great for coffee/tea and sweets everyday. Loved the ice cream window as well. Buffet for lunch and dinner not so good but we liked the specialty restaurants. The swim up bar really needs to be set up and open. Its a social gathering place and even though they try to come serve you from adjoining bar, it really needs to have a bartender there the whole time. They really need a separate service bar for the staff so bartenders can concentrate on guest that are at the bar. We had a very nice and relaxing vacation and I will miss Xavier and I forgot the bartenders names, Johnathan being one of them at the Rendevous Bar and others, sorry.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Jose C, General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comment about us. It finds us with great joy to know that you had a wonderful time with us and enjoyed all the aspects of your vacations.

I will make sure to let the employees mentioned know that they helped make your vacations even better than they were.

It was an honor having you here and we hope you decide to visit us in the near future.

Have a pleasant day,

Jose Corletto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (618)
McKinney, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

If you read my past reviews, you will notice I am pretty easy to please, and write many wonderful reviews. Unfortunately, this vacation didn't leave a lot of room for compliments. I'm a "glass half full" kind of person, so let me start with the positives of this "resort".

Positives:
1. The view/location is breath taking! The ocean water is crystal clear, and the palm trees are plentiful.
2. Jonathan Nowels, the bartender, was the nicest, most personable staff member at Sunscape. He was friendly, gave us anything we asked for, and smiled. He actually smiled (which was a rare commodity at Sunscape).
3. Merisol at the Oceana restaurant went out of her way to make sure we were able to eat one night (after we chased dinner at 3 restaurants, and it was then 9:30 PM). She set an extra table for us, and gave us wonderful service! Thank you to Merisol and Jonathan!
4. Easy Snorkeling! You go to the snorkel hut, grab your gear, and dive right in. No need for an excursion. We loved this!
5. Lots of security. There is a lot of security walking/standing around. We felt very safe!

Well, that's it for the positives. I am sad to say this. I am sad that I'm trying so hard to think of more, but they just aren't there.

Negatives: (hold on to your chair)
1. If you paid for "preferred club", do not expect ANYTHING! There is a "preferred club only" pool, that is supposed to have special liquors at the "bar. You know what this means? This specific pool has a bar "cart" (like you see at a hotel wedding). There was nothing more at this "bar" than any other bar. There is NO wifi in the resort EXCEPT in the lobby and in the preferred club room (in the lobby). They do not just give you the password in your welcome packet. You have to go into the room, wait in line, and one of their 4 staff members will type the password into your device. It's like standing in line for crumbs. It made us feel anything but special. I felt like we were begging. My husband and I are self employed so I had to get online 3-5 times during our visit to do a little work. I dreaded going in there! But as soon as you leave the resort, there is free wifi all over the island. It's pretty pathetic! Preferred Club is a JOKE!!!! NOTHING at this resort was "easy" for the guests. We had to work for food, drinks and WIFI.

2. Do NOT expect to eat a thing between 4-6:30 PM. There is not one crumb of food available (unless you hoard your lunch leftovers). I mean, there isn't nachos, chips, popcorn, fresh fruit or anything! Oh wait, I take that back. There were little pastries in the coffee shop. This was our biggest complaint. EVERYONE on vacation, after being in the sun all day, has the munchies before dinner!!!!!!!!!! So our entire day was planned around food, because we knew there were times we couldn't get it. How's that for an expensive vacation?!!!!!!!

3. The first day we were there, we hung out in the pool all day. My husband apparently leaned up against the tile on the side of the pool. When he got out, his swimsuit was BROWN from all the pool scum on the tile!!!!!!!!

4. There is one swim up bar, but don't get excited. There isn't anyone manning it. There is another bar connected to it (behind it) that the bartenders work. So if you are at the pool bar, you have to yell at the bartender in the other bar for him to maybe or maybe not come down and take your order. You know those fun times at the pool bars, where you laugh with the staff, and they serve fun drinks etc....? Well, do NOT expect that at Sunscape.

5. There is absolutely NO wait staff at any of the pools or the beach! You can NOT order drinks from a nice staff person taking orders. You are on your own. You always always always have to get up and go get your own drinks (and the cups are 5 ounces, so you will get your exercise).

6. (a) 9 out of 10 times we ordered food at any of the restaurants, they would come back to us and say to at least one of us "We are out of ____". We only had ONE meal where they didn't say that to us. On our last night, before we ordered I even said "before I order, can you tell me what you are out of". She laughed!

(b) The buffet...... BORING! No lush fruits like you expect in the Caribbean. 7 of out 10 times we attempted the buffet, the trays were empty or dismal at best. I found myself thinking "just get full so you aren't hungry. So I ate bagels and cream cheese EVERY MORNING. One morning at the buffet breakfast, the waitress asked us what we wanted to drink, and she never returned. I had to leave the restaurant and go order our waters at the pool bar!

(c) One morning we ordered room service, asked for scrambled eggs. They called me back and said "we are out of scrambled eggs. Would you like fried eggs?" Um, aren't they all from an egg? That one made me laugh. One afternoon I ordered 2 snacks from room service, and of course they called back to tell me they were out of something. It became a HUGE joke. I had to laugh to keep from going postal!

7. Half the trip, we wouldn't get hand towels or bath rags... I had to call and request them. Which did no good. They never showed up. Same with the coffee.

8. Here's the biggest one..... DINNER! It's a cluster and stressful on the guests! They don't take reservations, which is usually a good thing at an all inclusive, but not at Sunscape. You have 2 options.... You leave the pool at 5 to go get cleaned up, then stand in a line when the restaurants open at 6:30, and hope you get in. Or you can get in line at 6:30 and take a beeper for a later time (like 8, 8:30, or 9). BUT, when you show back up at your designated time, you are still not guaranteed to eat. It's a huge gamble. See, the buffet closes at 9, so if you wait too long on the "waiting for a table" you may be too late to even eat at the buffet...... WE WERE HUNGRY A LOT AT SUNSCAPE! They need to fix this system ASAP! When you pay this kind of money, you should NEVER EVER EVER wonder if you will be able to eat a meal!

8. The casino is NASTY! Half the machines are broken, or the screens are so old, you can't read them. It smells HORRIBLE and the drinks aren't free in there. Do not waste your time or money at the casino!

9. Every single day I would hear guests complaining about their room and trying to get a different room. It is SOOOOOO inconvenient to switch rooms on vacation. Sunscape needs to fix their rooms so guests do not have to change. I heard everything from A/C not working, to shower drain so clogged they were standing in their overflowing shower water to get "clean". Oh, and there are HUGE rats! We saw a couple (at night) and they are the size of an armadillo. NO JOKE! But they were outside, so no worries in your room.

There is NO bending over backwards for the guests. The staff is not smiling. The drinks are weak. The food is scarce. If you are reading this, and you have already booked your vacation to Sunscape, I am sorry! The good news is, take some extra money because a really nice shopping and dining area is just a 6 minute walk up the street called The Blvd and it's great!

Room Tip: Make sure you stay on the East side where it's been remodeled. The other rooms look like motel...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for review posted regarding your visit at Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa and Casino.
We value your extensive feedback on the Trip Advisor. Your feedback will be intensively reviewed with all the departments concerned.

Our aim is to achieve the best results for all our guest that visit our resort. We are very confident that with your comments will have some clear indication into where we have to place more attention in order to improve our results.
We wish we had the opportunity to contact you while you were staying with us. We are certain that with some correction we could have changed your stay and maybe even make transform it into a positive one.

Once again, thank you very much.

La Romana Province, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

It's best bars its restaurants are the maximum, and actually Chris and holidays, and should invite my friends to try, aver if they would pay me very successful stadia ......... I recommend it ......!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa & Casino. Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely comments about your recent vacation and for all your compliments. It is so rewarding to learn you fully enjoyed our hotel.

We would love to welcome you back home in the future, so you can have the whole experience again.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I spent a period of seven days vacation with my wife Sunscape Curacao Resort with all inclusive system. The hotel accomodations are very confortable , the beach area is excellent and meals are good in breakfast and lunch and very good in dinner. Personnel is very attentious with host in every restaurants and services. Excellent place for going with children due to the safety of beach area.

Room Tip: Save time to have a wonderful dinner in the beach restaurant at least one night!!! Restaurant Da Mar...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

May we thank you for choosing us as your holiday destination and we appreciate the fact you have taken the time to write a review of your stay with us.

We are very pleased to hear that your time at our resort met with your expectations, and we appreciate all of your wonderful feedback, we sincerely hope we have the opportunity to be your hosts again in the near future.

Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Curacao is a hidden treasure gems with it's cristal clear blue waters, with it's natural parks and iguanas it is more than an island.
I spent two weeks in Sunscape. It was an unforgettable holiday. The resort was great, the room was enormous an well furnitured with a huge terrace.
The food was tasty. The pasta station where was made fresh pasta with fresh vegetables and several kind of sauces was great. There are several kinds of restaurat. Thes best is Himitsu Japanese resaurant.
The drinks was also acceptable but i miss some basic coctalis like mojito.

This resort made unique was the entertainment team especially Crazy G, Chouchoo Train Leo the Lion O' Brian John etc. They were really kind, they are involve the people a lots of funny programms. They cant leave that anybody to boring.They are really made my holiday!

In this hotel everybody can find his or her expectations.

I ' d like to go back tomorrow:)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We thank you for allowing Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa & Casino to be your hosts during your vacation and we thank you for the time you have taken to share your experience.

We are so pleased that your time with us exceeded your expectations, and we will certainly pass on your great feedback to our entertainment team who helped make your stay even more enjoyable.

Lets hope we have the chance to welcome you back soon

Saint Peters, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We stayed at Sunscape in Curacao from 7/12-7/19/14; family vacation with 2 teenage daughters. Beautiful beach, sand, and ocean. 1st time we ever snorkeled and it was amazing. Fish would swim all around you and would eat moist bread from my hand. The weather is awesome, always a breeze, never a hurricane (per the locals) and if it rains, it only lasts about 10 minutes. The rooms were clean and nice; nothing special, no tub, large shower. We stayed at a Dreams resort last year in Mexico and it had absolutely beautiful rooms.

The bartenders were always very friendly. The entertainment dept. was very fun, energetic, and personable. The evening shows were very entertaining. The pools were clean and nice as well.

The food was "hit or miss." The buffet food was okay at times; very greasy food, sometimes the meat was un-chewable, sometimes the food was only warm and not hot; often when the pans were empty they stayed empty. Not a large variety, especially at breakfast; bacon was undercooked, toasters often did not function properly, no granola. We are great tippers, but if we did not receive decent service in the dining room, then servers didn't get a tip from us; i.e.. we had to get our own drinks, no one cleared our plates.

There are 4 restaurants. No reservation required. But what they don't tell you is that there are two eating shifts. The restaurants open at 6:30 pm. If you don't arrive between 6:15 and 6:30, you will get a beeper and will probably not be seated for dinner until after 8 pm. That might be okay for you if you eat a late lunch and don't mind eating a later dinner. The japanese restaurant is "okay," I thought the meal was boring compared to what I am accustomed to in St. Louis. No fried rice, which I love, only noodles.

The resort needs some updating. We had to slam our door for it to close. Our key lock didn't work when we first arrived and had to sit around in our room for at least 90 minutes why the maintenance man fixed it.

We visited Willemstad while we were there; ok shopping, interesting to see, ate lunch outside. We also went to the aquarium, $21 for an adult, not bad, were able to walk there, safe to walk outside of resort, we enjoyed that for a few hours.

I agree with some of the other reviews, this resort is not a 5 Golden Apple Resort.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa & Casino as your holiday destination and we appreciate the time you have taken to post a review of your stay with us.

We thank you very much for all of your feedback, both positive and otherwise, here at our wonderful resort we always take on board the comments left to us by our much valued guests as this is an excellent way of making improvements in the future.

We certainly hope you re-consider and return to us in the future as it would be our pleasure to serve you once again.

Kind Regards,

Bonao, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Very good stay in curacao tube sunscape, I love the rooms with your comfort and cleanliness. also the bars and restaurants. service rooms and services I also like the beautiful view that has the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear Guest

Thank you for allowing Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa & Casino to be your hosts during your vacation and thank you for the time you have taken to tell us of your experience.

Thank you very much for all of your feedback, and we are pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your experience at our resort, we certainly hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Kind Regards,

Jose Corletto

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao? Share your experiences!