“Wonderful 2nd Honeymoon” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao

You added Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao to your Saves list
Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Dr. Martin Luther King Blvd. 78, Willemstad, Curacao (Formerly Princess Beach Curacao Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Willemstad
Ontario, Canada
“Wonderful 2nd Honeymoon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

My husband and I hadn't been away to a tropical location since our honeymoon in 1999, we were celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary with a Vow Renewal Ceremony. We hadn't heard of Curaçao but was recommended by our travel agent as it is currently hurricane season in the Caribbean, but not in the South Caribbean.
In short, we enjoyed our 10 days very much. The staff were always very pleasant and greeted whenever passed by. Everything was their 'pleasure'! ☺

ROOM: We stayed in the Flamingo Preferred Members building, which was nice and secluded at the end of the Resort. We liked that we weren't with the heavy/loud partiers. We could easily join them if we wanted to. However, I must include that the locals next door (on the other side of the Resort wall) were loud in the early morning with their daily swims. This woke us up. It was like clock work at 6:15. They should not be allowed to swim into the Resort area and they should also be told to be very quite, but security apparently does nothing about this issue.
I booked a Deluxe Ocean View room. Which was actually a partial ocean view. It was small but okay. It also viewed the pool and beautiful palm trees. By chance, we did upgrade our room to a Jr Suite, which was an excellent decision, it was well worth the extra $40 per day. It included a small couch, a hallway to the washroom (better for storing luggage) and a huge FULL ocean view belcony that we enjoyed emmensly! Since we were on the 3rd floor, we would open the patio doors fully (all 4 doors pushed into the wall) overnight to enjoy the sounds of the sea and breeze, (really miss that).
Room was attended to daily. I would say they never wiped the table or counter tops but they did make the bed and refill the mini fridge. They are short on face and hand towels as they weren't replaced daily. In fact I did ask for face towels once but was told they didn't have any. They did include them every other or third day. Room did have a safe, which was appreciated and used. I also have to agree with other reviews; the bed was very uncomfortable. I woke up stiff every morning, (I'm not that old). Elevators would have been nice. Especially when the washrooms are few a far in between and we had to go to our room on the 3rd floor every time when spending time by the pool...

FOOD: I really enjoyed the breakfast buffet every morning. I didn't need lunch, but my husband was happy to grab a burger or hotdog and fries at the Bluewater Grill. He said the Grill should be open 24 hours as room service ends at 11pm. Sometimes you want a snack at 2am...
We had no complaints over food. Enjoyed everything. Sometimes the time inbetween courses took a while, but we weren't in a rush; we are on vacation! We also spent extra money to enjoy a private romantic beach dinner. My husband got the Lobster Tail, and I had the Beef Tenderloin. The food was EXCELLENT but the service was EXTREMELY SLOW and our table was located outside the spotlight areas so we couldn't see our food. At times we thought the waiter forgot about us. My husband's main complaint of the entire 10 days time was that they didn't serve melted butter for dipping his lobster into. (This is a crazy thing to miss for seafood lovers apparently.) He asked about butter and waiter didn't understand what he were asking... But other than that, it was very romantic and tasted fantastic.
We enjoyed all the speciality restaurants but were surprised at how often the Oceana (seafood) was closed. We did manage to eat there once. I enjoyed the entertainment and food of the Japanese restaurant most. My husband enjoyed the Italian one.

ENTERTAINMENT: The entertainment was interesting, different nightly and enjoyable. I love the Steel Pan Band most. Music played softly through speakers located all over the Resort; I really liked it; felt relaxing and romantic. We don't travel to such locations with our child but it looked like it had a nice set up for children too. Outdoor movie screen and kids camp with all kinds of stuff to do.
(I would like to say to guests who travel with their children that other 'paying' guests want to enjoy their vacation; peacefully. Their children should be taught to NOT run around in circles and scream loudly around others. I was surprised how some people don't care about their children's behaviour and manners, especially some Asians since they travel in such large groups with a gang of kids. Sorry, don't mean to sound racist; it is what it is.)
We did the Catamaran excursion to Klein Island. Please know, you will get wet on this boat on the way to the island no matter where you sit. The way back was very enjoyable. The water by the island was astonishing clear, light-blue. The beach was a beautiful fine, light-beige sand. A breathtaking view but if you are doing this outing for the snorkeling, it's way better at Sunscape; no turtles but more variety of fish by the barrier rocks at the Resort. My husband really, really enjoyed the snorkeling! He went and purchased his own mask so he could go whenever he wanted. They do have snorkeling gear to use free for an hour or rent if longer.
We used the complimentary shuttle twice to go to town. After the first trip, we realized the Resort shop was too expensive and didn't really have much selection, even though we did purchase a couple of things. I recommend going to Jo Ann's Souvenirs. We purchased all kinds of stuff there.
We also both enjoyed an 80-minute relaxing Hot Rock Massage in the Spa! Absolutely Wonderful!

DRINKS: Were good and plentiful. My husband liked the Blue and Green Monkey, I enjoyed the Tequila Sunrise. Service always with a smile and "my pleasure".
BUT the Sugar Reef bar definitely needs major cleaning. It stunk! Offensively, like garbage! We couldn't stand to be near it. This would be our main complaint. We avoided this bar whenever possible, which was difficult since it was located right by the main pool and entertainment area.

VOW RENEWAL: Thank you to Zjanina and Emerson for accommodating our wishes and making sure everything was perfect. Beautiful flowers and cake! Romantically decorated gazebo! Champagne and in our room! For putting up the "Honeymoon" banner on our room door! (Hopefully the Renewal Marriage Certificate will be delivered soon?)

OVERALL: WE HAD A GREAT TIME! Everybody was very happy and friendly. Beautiful beach and pleasant resort. I really loved the tiki umbrellas and roof tops all over the place. I definitely recommend this Resort.

If the rooms were upgraded a bit more with better [pillow-top] beds, Wi-Fi available all over, and drinks delivered to the patrons, instead of patrons finding the bars, it would be a 5 star! But then it would probably cost more...?

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Jose C, General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Guest,

Just by reading the title of your review we feel happy. By reading the entire review it makes us feel proud of he property we have, the service we provide and the staff that makes it all happen.

Thank you for your kind words and for choosing us to be your 2nd honeymoon destination in the Caribbean. It finds us with great joy to know that you would recommend our resort to others.

We hope we have the chance to welcome you back again soon.

Jose Corletto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

We went here for our 1 year anniversary. We're kind of spoiled brats when it comes to traveling... we just went to Hawaii and St. John for our "honeymoons" last year and stayed at Westins. The first day in Curacao we were a bit shocked by the desert climate. We knew going into it that it wasn't "tropical", but as our plane touched down we thought... "This looks like Phoenix"... and desert isn't our fave thing. Also, and I'm sort of surprised no one ever mentions this... but there is a HUGE oil refinery in the heart of the island and you can see the gas flares over the top of the hills- but that doesn't mean much bc you can see them from everywhere on the island almost. This was really odd to us at first, but we got used to it and it became a running joke. That being said, Curacao is the kind of place that it takes time to appreciate. By day 3 I was digging the gritty rugged beauty. The Sunscape was the best resort for the right price. The swimming area in front is great for snorkeling. My husband swam laps every morning there. The food is OK - we liked the Ocean Grill and the Japanese place was fun. I didn't like the Italian place... it was very hot inside when we went. The World Cafe was OK. I find it hard to complain when everything is all-inclusive! My one complaint would be that the staff didn't seem very knowledgeable about where/what to do on the island and good maps were scarce. For example, the jet ski rental place was literally right next to the resort, but those we asked didn't know. We had to get on wifi and do our own sleuthing. Ask for a corner room if you do the Private Club upgrade thing- we had an amazing view of the ocean. The room was surprisingly big! This resort isn't as "chichi" as some of the things I saw on the far eastern side of Curacao, but we loved the size, location near Willemstad, all-inclusive nature and relaxing vibe. We recommend!

Room Tip: There is wifi in the lobby but not the rooms. Sort of annoying, however I ended up liking it because...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Jose C, General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for allowing us to be your hosts during your vacation and thank you for the time you have taken to tell us of your experience.

Thank you very much for all of your feedback, and we are pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your experience at our resort, we certainly hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I went to Sunscape May 15-19 to celebrate a friends 40th birthday. I planned and paid for this trip almost a year in advance and was so excited because me and my friend I was rooming with decided to treat ourselves and fly first class and secure the presidential suite at the property. We were going to spend the week like rock stars!.....or so we thought. This hotels idea of a presidential suite is less then what I would get in a seedy motel in New York City. Their website boasts that it has a kitchenette, dining area, a winding staircase leading to a master suite, and a beautiful panoramic view of the ocean. Well, their idea of a kitchenette is a 2 foot by 2 foot fridge sitting in the middle of the "dining area", which did not have a table nor chairs, the winding staircase did lead to a master suite, however that suite door was locked, as you would need to rent this room in addition to the presidential suite (not stated on the site), and the "beautiful" panoramic view was obstructed but this horrendous gutter system that blocked you from seeing any of the beach or property. What we could see was about 50 feet into the ocean, if we looked over the puke green contraption that was wrapped around our entire balcony. So what we had was a room with a decent amount of space, walk in closed, queen bed, shower, two couches and 2 tvs. All labeled "presidential". Yeah right. After we complained, and were accused by the staff of having expectations that were "too high" because we are from New York, the staff, managers Ashanti and Kurt, reluctantly agreed to move us to a different smaller room (the next day) that cost less then what we paid, but was a better overall room. When I spoke with Kurt regarding reimbursement, not only for the price of the room, which is a given, but also for the inconvenience and the fact that the website posts blatant lies about the property and rooms. I was offered to have my group (10 girls) sent on excursions under the agreement that I would forfeit any refund. What??!?!!?!! When I said I didn't want to do that I was offered 2 bottles of grey goose (yes this is an all inclusive resort, but the drinks there were so watered down we started buying our own liquor to make our own drinks). I accepted that and I was told that my travel agent would have to work with the hotel to get my refund. It literally took 6 weeks and numerous back and forth emails with the hotel because they initially REFUSED to give me the money for the difference in the cost of the rooms. I had to threaten to get my attorney involved and then -surprise!- they agreed to refund me $240, which in no way seems to compensate for everything my friend and I have been through, but I was so tired and worn down from fighting about it.

The one and single bright spot of this trip was the entertainment staff. The guys on the property were so amazing and sweet and helpful....I just wish they didn't have to work at such a horrible resort. I would love to come back and see them, but I would never go back to Sunscape.

Overall my recommendation would be to stay away from this place. There are other options in curaçao that are not all inclusive but would be a much better option to ensure you're getting what you pay for.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Jose C, General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for review posted regarding your visit at Sunscape Curacao Resorts, Spa & Casino.

We value your feedback on the Trip advisor.
It is regrettable to learn that you encountered situations during your stay that may have tampered with your vacations. Please rest assured knowing that we are currently working on the points mentioned in order to significantly improve our services. Our aim is to achieve the best results for all our guests that visit our resort.

Once again, thank you very much for your time and we hope you give us the honor of receiving you once again in the near future.

Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

We went as a family: my mom, her boyfriend, my aunt and I. The staff was amazing. The food was amazing. The people were amazing. The island is AMAZING!
okay, the negative: The drinks are served in very small plastic cups...I'm a wine drinker. I was okay with the very limited selection, but not with drinking my wine out of plastic cup. So, I just held on to my wine glass from dinner, and no one tried to take it from me.
Most staff speak several languages, including English. However, it is not their first or even second language. We booked a trip on a catamaran. I thought at the time that the price was almost too good to be true...it was. We ended up on the back of a pick up for our snorkeling trip. Now, I was at first disappointed. Instead of snorkeling with drinks and lunch on a catamaran, we got an excellent tour guide who took the time to teach my very nervous aunt how to snorkel. He then took the stronger swimmers to another beach for some of the best snorkeling I've ever experienced. (and I'm a certified diver...admitting that snorkeling was fulfilling takes a lot) We also took a tour of the island. I believe it was called the east/west tour. The tour guide was not that great. He was quick to point out where you could play the lottery, but gave very little history or information that a tourist would be interested in. However, it was hard not to be impressed with the fact that Curacao is truly a paradise!
The positive: everything else! It's been a month since we got back and I'm still talking about how the hotdogs at the beach side grill were the best that I ever had...how clear the water was (do bring water shoes)...how the temperature was just perfect with the trade winds always blowing! MAN! I could live there, if for nothing other than that breeze!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Jose C, General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa & Casino as your holiday destination and we appreciate the time you have taken to post a review of your experience here at our beautiful resort.

We are thrilled to hear that your stay with us met with your expectations, we thank you so much for all of your wonderful feedback and it is a real honor for us that you would recommend our resort to others.

We hope we have the chance to welcome you back again soon.

Clinton Township, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

My wife and I stayed here in June of 2013 and had an excellent time. The beach is amazing with crystal clear water. Beach is a very short walk from room. Our room had a great ocean view room. There are plenty of lounge chairs and the beach is not over crowded. The sea wall creates and excellent environment for snorkeling right of the resorts beach. I spent a lot of time snorkeling hear and it was great not having to leave the resort to find a good snorkel spot. The specialty restaurants have great food. Our favorite was the Japanese steakhouse the chefs put on a great humors show with awesome food. The buffet restaurant food was not that great so we never really ate there. For lunch they have 2 beach grill bars that serve good food for lunch. Our room was small but nice with a great view. Curacao is an amazing island with great beaches, clear water and great snorkeling or diving. The water is also very safe to drink. Staff was great especially the entertainment staff they made sure you had a great time. We plan to stay here aging in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Jose C, General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our property, your comments are very much valued. We really appreciate your comments regarding our customer service and ongoing upgrades to the property. Our staff members take their roles in our industry very seriously and try, every day, to provide that quality customer service, that our guests expect.

Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip at our resort.

Best Regards,

Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

My husband and I visited this resort in March 2014 and enjoyed our restful vacation. An all inclusive resort is not generally our favourite, we chose this resort due to its proximity to Willemstad. The resort itself is smallish. We were fortunate to have a room overlooking the ocean. Some may say it was dated, but we didn't mind- the view more than made up for it. It was clean and the staff were friendly. The dive centre on the resort was fantastic and very accommodating. We loved watching the movies at night on the beach, very kid friendly, but fun for adults too! Popcorn and beverages were provided while you lounged under the stars.
Willemstad was very nice to visit, although we were hoping for a bit more culture. We used the local bus to get around from the resort to Willemstad. We rented a car and traveled all around the island, visiting some beautiful beaches and met some wonderful people. We felt safe at all times. Get off the resort and see the town, eat at the delicious restaurants and mingle with the locals!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Best Regards,

POS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

This resort is your everyday average all inclusive resort. Excellent compound and the atmosphere is relaxing. There are a number of really fun and exciting activities on the compound. Excellent beach and water activities. The entertainment crew is very friendly and interactive, they are good crowd pleasers. The nightly entertainment is good and suitable for all ages. The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. I liked the fact that bottled drinking water was provided among the things in the mini bar. I was not impressed by some of the staff who showed preference to some guests and not equal treatment for all. However, the general staff on the compound are really friendly and hospitable. The food was not up to standard, the breakfast was as expected of an all inclusive resort, nothing to whaw about. Lunch and dinner were disappointing, especially at the World Cafe. The food at the specialty restaurants was good, however the wait time (no reservations accepted) is horrible if you are not there at 6.30pm. If you are unable to get seated at 6.30, you will wait till 8 or 8.30 onward. All items on the menu are not available at times in the later seating. Advice, get there early. That can be a hustle. Overall, the resort is one I would recommend to vacationers, beach lovers and families.

Room Tip: Rooms over-looking the Caribbean Sea are the best. The rooms next to the restaurants and entertainme...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing us as your holiday destination and we appreciate the time you have taken to post a review of your stay with us.

We thank you for your feedback, both positive and otherwise, here at our wonderful resort we always take on board the comments left to us by our much valued guests as this is an excellent way of making improvements in the future.

We certainly hope you to see you again in the near future as it would be our pleasure to serve you once again.

Jose Corletto

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao? Share your experiences!