My husband and I hadn't been away to a tropical location since our honeymoon in 1999, we were celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary with a Vow Renewal Ceremony. We hadn't heard of Curaçao but was recommended by our travel agent as it is currently hurricane season in the Caribbean, but not in the South Caribbean.
In short, we enjoyed our 10 days very much. The staff were always very pleasant and greeted whenever passed by. Everything was their 'pleasure'! ☺
ROOM: We stayed in the Flamingo Preferred Members building, which was nice and secluded at the end of the Resort. We liked that we weren't with the heavy/loud partiers. We could easily join them if we wanted to. However, I must include that the locals next door (on the other side of the Resort wall) were loud in the early morning with their daily swims. This woke us up. It was like clock work at 6:15. They should not be allowed to swim into the Resort area and they should also be told to be very quite, but security apparently does nothing about this issue.
I booked a Deluxe Ocean View room. Which was actually a partial ocean view. It was small but okay. It also viewed the pool and beautiful palm trees. By chance, we did upgrade our room to a Jr Suite, which was an excellent decision, it was well worth the extra $40 per day. It included a small couch, a hallway to the washroom (better for storing luggage) and a huge FULL ocean view belcony that we enjoyed emmensly! Since we were on the 3rd floor, we would open the patio doors fully (all 4 doors pushed into the wall) overnight to enjoy the sounds of the sea and breeze, (really miss that).
Room was attended to daily. I would say they never wiped the table or counter tops but they did make the bed and refill the mini fridge. They are short on face and hand towels as they weren't replaced daily. In fact I did ask for face towels once but was told they didn't have any. They did include them every other or third day. Room did have a safe, which was appreciated and used. I also have to agree with other reviews; the bed was very uncomfortable. I woke up stiff every morning, (I'm not that old). Elevators would have been nice. Especially when the washrooms are few a far in between and we had to go to our room on the 3rd floor every time when spending time by the pool...
FOOD: I really enjoyed the breakfast buffet every morning. I didn't need lunch, but my husband was happy to grab a burger or hotdog and fries at the Bluewater Grill. He said the Grill should be open 24 hours as room service ends at 11pm. Sometimes you want a snack at 2am...
We had no complaints over food. Enjoyed everything. Sometimes the time inbetween courses took a while, but we weren't in a rush; we are on vacation! We also spent extra money to enjoy a private romantic beach dinner. My husband got the Lobster Tail, and I had the Beef Tenderloin. The food was EXCELLENT but the service was EXTREMELY SLOW and our table was located outside the spotlight areas so we couldn't see our food. At times we thought the waiter forgot about us. My husband's main complaint of the entire 10 days time was that they didn't serve melted butter for dipping his lobster into. (This is a crazy thing to miss for seafood lovers apparently.) He asked about butter and waiter didn't understand what he were asking... But other than that, it was very romantic and tasted fantastic.
We enjoyed all the speciality restaurants but were surprised at how often the Oceana (seafood) was closed. We did manage to eat there once. I enjoyed the entertainment and food of the Japanese restaurant most. My husband enjoyed the Italian one.
ENTERTAINMENT: The entertainment was interesting, different nightly and enjoyable. I love the Steel Pan Band most. Music played softly through speakers located all over the Resort; I really liked it; felt relaxing and romantic. We don't travel to such locations with our child but it looked like it had a nice set up for children too. Outdoor movie screen and kids camp with all kinds of stuff to do.
(I would like to say to guests who travel with their children that other 'paying' guests want to enjoy their vacation; peacefully. Their children should be taught to NOT run around in circles and scream loudly around others. I was surprised how some people don't care about their children's behaviour and manners, especially some Asians since they travel in such large groups with a gang of kids. Sorry, don't mean to sound racist; it is what it is.)
We did the Catamaran excursion to Klein Island. Please know, you will get wet on this boat on the way to the island no matter where you sit. The way back was very enjoyable. The water by the island was astonishing clear, light-blue. The beach was a beautiful fine, light-beige sand. A breathtaking view but if you are doing this outing for the snorkeling, it's way better at Sunscape; no turtles but more variety of fish by the barrier rocks at the Resort. My husband really, really enjoyed the snorkeling! He went and purchased his own mask so he could go whenever he wanted. They do have snorkeling gear to use free for an hour or rent if longer.
We used the complimentary shuttle twice to go to town. After the first trip, we realized the Resort shop was too expensive and didn't really have much selection, even though we did purchase a couple of things. I recommend going to Jo Ann's Souvenirs. We purchased all kinds of stuff there.
We also both enjoyed an 80-minute relaxing Hot Rock Massage in the Spa! Absolutely Wonderful!
DRINKS: Were good and plentiful. My husband liked the Blue and Green Monkey, I enjoyed the Tequila Sunrise. Service always with a smile and "my pleasure".
BUT the Sugar Reef bar definitely needs major cleaning. It stunk! Offensively, like garbage! We couldn't stand to be near it. This would be our main complaint. We avoided this bar whenever possible, which was difficult since it was located right by the main pool and entertainment area.
VOW RENEWAL: Thank you to Zjanina and Emerson for accommodating our wishes and making sure everything was perfect. Beautiful flowers and cake! Romantically decorated gazebo! Champagne and in our room! For putting up the "Honeymoon" banner on our room door! (Hopefully the Renewal Marriage Certificate will be delivered soon?)
OVERALL: WE HAD A GREAT TIME! Everybody was very happy and friendly. Beautiful beach and pleasant resort. I really loved the tiki umbrellas and roof tops all over the place. I definitely recommend this Resort.
If the rooms were upgraded a bit more with better [pillow-top] beds, Wi-Fi available all over, and drinks delivered to the patrons, instead of patrons finding the bars, it would be a 5 star! But then it would probably cost more...?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Endless fun in the sun.Enjoy a fun-filled getaway of a lifetime at Sunscape Curaçao Resort, Spa & Casino (previous Princess Beach Curacao Resort, Spa & Casino). Located Soutern-western of the Caribbean and just off the coast of Venezuela, the 38-mile long island of Curaçao offers idyllic weather, exquisite beaches, spectacular snorkeling and much more to families, couples, singles and friends. At Sunscape Curaçao all guests will enjoy an Unlimited-Fun® vacation where everything is included from top-shelf spirits and daily refreshed mini-bar, to limitless food and beverages and endless daily activities. Guests can enjoy the on-site dive center at Sunscape Curaçao where they can catch a boat right at the resort to the National Underwater Park and enjoy diving and snorkeling at one of the most popular diving sites in the world. Located just 10 miles from the International Airport Hato and two miles from the capital city of Willemstad, guests can enjoy everything that Curaçao has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., BookIt.com, HotelTravel.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Otel and Priceline so you can book your Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Breezes Resort, Spa And Casino - Curacao
- Breezes Resort, Spa & Casino - Curacao Hotel Willemstad
- Breezes Curacao Hotel
- Breezes Resort Curacao
- Superclub Breezes Curacao
- Breeze Curacao
- Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao Willemstad