“WONDERFUL Stay at the Island's Best Resort!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao

You added Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao to your Saves list
Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Dr. Martin Luther King Blvd. 78, Willemstad, Curacao (Formerly Princess Beach Curacao Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Willemstad
Richmond, Virginia
“WONDERFUL Stay at the Island's Best Resort!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Fresh off of a 5-night stay at Sunscape Curacao with a large group of 14, I am extremely thankful for our experience. The resort was aesthetically appealing, clean and properly staffed with INCREDIBLY KIND, PLEASANT PEOPLE. Denise was extremely warm and sweet in the Preferred Lounge and made sure all accommodations were top notch. Daynalisa and Milagros were as welcoming and delightful as they could be and made trips to the cafe a joy. John made sure we had no worries through the course of our day as far as down time and Leo was part of the entertainment staff, using his jovial spirit to ensure we enjoyed ourselves. The entire crew was very personable.

Our rooms were always properly cleaned and tended too. Staff members checked the pools and hot tubs to ensure the water remained clean. Workers would always stop you and check to ensure that you had everything you wanted and needed. We were able to take full advantage of the resorts offerings in terms of water sports, food, restaurants, the Casino and the disco and never had any issues.

The buffet style food at times could have been hotter, but thats normal for buffet style meals and I had no real gripes with my meals. Dinner on the beach via the Oceana Restaurant was a standout that we really enjoyed. Late night entertainment could be picked up a bit for those who like to stay up later, given that the pools close and the disco facility is under-promoted. But thats just a minor thing if I had to offer anything in need of improvement. For us, it was a great stay and a classic, unforgettable time.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Jose C, General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comment about us. It finds us with great joy to know that you had a wonderful time with us and enjoyed all the aspects of your vacations.

I will make sure to let the employees mentioned know that they helped make your vacations even better than they were.

It was an honor having you here and we hope you decide to visit us in the near future.

Jose Corletto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
York, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

First, some background. This is my 5th all-inclusive - two prior in Jamaica, one in Mexico, and one in the Dominican. I’ve also been on 2 cruises. So I’m not an expert, by any means, but I have some history to compare things to.

I traveled with my boyfriend. We’re both mid-30's, both professionals. This was his first all-inclusive.

We did not pick this resort, but tagged along when some friends booked the trip.

First off, if you are expecting the uber-luxurious resorts of the Caribbean, this probably isn’t what you are looking for. That doesn’t mean we didn’t have a great time - because we absolutely did - but it’s very different from past resorts I’ve been to.

The resort itself is very small. You can walk from one end to the other in just a few minutes. It doesn’t have the landscape that I’ve seen before. There are palm trees, of course, but not a lot of flowers and other tropical plants. So it’s not necessarily “pretty” to look at.

There are two different sides to the resort. The tower has the newer, remodeled rooms. The other side, where we stayed, has smaller, not-yet-renovated rooms. We spoke to one couple that was in the tower and asked to be moved to where we were, because there was a lot of noise in the tower. We spoke to another couple who asked to be moved from where we were to the tower because the room was too small for their liking. So I suppose it really depends on what your priorities are - quiet, small room or big, loud one? We had booked an ocean view room and did not try to move.

ROOM: as previously mentioned, was very small. There was a king-sized bed (I thought it was comfortable, but a little on the hard side), a love seat, a small table with one chair, a dresser, and two night stands. The room was definitely showing it’s age. The floor tiles were chipped and the paint job was a little shoddy. These things don’t bother me, so I hardly noticed (except to take notes for this review!) but you’ll be disappointed if this is important to you. The bathroom - no tub (sad face) but seemed to have been renovated more recently than the room. The shower had great water pressure, and never a problem with hot water that I’ve heard other people mention (although the temperature changed a lot and I had to learn to adjust frequently to keep it at a reasonable level). The bathroom is also very small - the door hit the toilet when opened, definitely not room for two people to get ready at once. There were no towel holders, but there was plenty of spaces to put one. I would have been more inclined to reuse towels if I had some place to put the wet ones! Toiletries provided were shampoo, lotion, bars of soap, and a shower cap. The towel situation was strange - the first day we had 2 wash clothes, 2 hand towels, and 3 towels (which was what we needed). The second day, we had no wash clothes, no hand towels, and 2 towels. Then for the rest of our stay we got 1 fresh wash cloth, no hand towels, and 2 towels. I don’t understand the rhyme and reason, but we made do and didn’t complain or ask for anything different. The beach towels (plenty available at the towel hut) that made it back to the room with us each day were never taken - we had quite a hoard after a few days and had to take them back to the hut ourselves. We had a decent-sized balcony (the AC did not turn off when the door was open, which we’ve seen before) with a table and two incredibly uncomfortable chairs. They provided a drying rack on the balcony, which was appreciated and got a lot of use from us. Our view was directly over Oceana, one of the restaurants, but remained pretty quiet. We had a pool in front of our view, too, but was only used by anyone on 1 day out of the 7 we were there - so if you want a quiet pool to read at, would probably be a good place to try. We were on the third floor, and there was no elevator. The AC worked incredibly well. We asked the maid for a blanket (yes, there is only a sheet on the bed) because I got cold, and it was provided immediately. There is a small fridge with 2 waters, a coke, diet coke, sprite, and 2 beers (and one day we got an OJ). Bottom line on the room - fine for us since we didn’t spend much time there.

FOOD: Overall, it was pretty good for an all-inclusive. Breakfast is only available at the buffet, and the food was pretty typical of what I’ve grown to expect. There was an omelet station, and then all the “usual” breakfast food. We ate at the buffet (a rather small buffet, btw) for one night at dinner and I had difficulty finding something I liked. Nothing terrible, nothing great. However, all the restaurants we went to - Himitsu twice, Oceana and the Bluewater Grill, we very much enjoyed our meals. Himitsu is the hibachi restaurant, and was our favorite. No fried rice - instead it is fried noodles. They serve miso soup, two small pieces of sushi and tempura vegetables as an appetizer. Then you get the fried noodles with beef, chicken, fish (grouper), and shrimp. No dessert. Oceana is the seafood restaurant (there is nothing on the menu that isn’t seafood) and we enjoyed our meal there as well. And Bluewater Grill - I was pleasantly surprised with how good the steak was (and the chimichurri sauce was so good I had to ask for extra). Bluewater Grill turns into the snack stand at lunch time, with burgers, hot dogs, and fries. We did not try the Italian place. There is an ice cream window next to the buffet, which I wouldn’t have known about but for asking a fellow guest where they got it from - it is NOT well marked. Additionally, there is a coffee stand that also has cakes. You won’t go hungry. Overall, I was pleased with the food.

BEACH: There are parts that are very rocky, so bring water shoes. Although there are a few places where you can enter the water that aren’t so bad. No seaweed whatsoever, which was really nice. The beach is big with plenty of chairs available. There is a man-made rock wall which keeps the waves at bay and makes for great snorkeling. Seriously, the snorkeling was the best I have ever seen (and have paid good money for snorkeling excursions in the past...this was free and you didn’t have to travel to do it!). We brought our own gear but I understand it is available at the dive shop. We ventured out past the rock wall (against the advice of the dive shop) and saw amazing coral...just stay close to the rocks so you don’t get hit by a boat! We saw lobster, lion fish, puffer fish, some sort of spotted leopard fish, and lots of others. We would return just for the snorkeling alone. Don’t miss it.

STAFF: For the first time, I don’t have much to say about the staff. No one really stood out to us, and they mostly left us alone. The entertainment staff was next to invisible. I’m used to them constantly bugging me to play in their games, but that didn’t happen here. We didn’t seek them out, either, so we just never interacted with them. One time, I think, we were asked to come to their foam party but they quickly moved on. It was refreshing, but different than what I’m used to. The photo shop guy, Gigio, talked to us one day and we did not take him up on his offer of a free photo shoot...but after looking at his photos of other people, I’m regretful that we didn’t - they were BEAUTIFUL. The front desk staff was helpful when we needed them. Our housekeeper was invisible, but did a nice job. The waitresses were always kind, but nothing that stood out. (We always got drinks promptly, which I noticed in a few reviews seemed to be a problem.)

A few random things - if you’re traveling to/from the U.S. on one of the twice-daily American Airlines flights, there is a shuttle to/from the hotel for $30 a couple. This is cheaper than a cab, which is $40.

There is a free daily shuttle twice daily to/from Willemstad. Just sign up in the lobby the day before.

The casino is ok, just know it is owned/operated by a separate company so food and drinks are NOT free within the casino.

Please feel free to ask me any questions on something I may have missed. Overall, we had a great time and informed consumers will be pleased as long as they know what to expect. This place doesn’t hold itself out to be 5 stars, and it isn’t. But I would recommend it to friends and would return but for the fact that we don’t travel to the same place twice.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for informing us of your recent stay.

We appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience, and at the same, provide your feedback, which we take very seriously in order to improve ourselves everyday to be able to offer you the exceptional services you deserve. We thank you deeply for choosing Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa & Casino as your vacation destination. It was a pleasure hosting you.

Your satisfaction has always been our number one priority and that's the reason our staff members go far out of their ways to make sure you're enjoying yourself at all times. We constantly strive to make our guests feel like home.

Should you require any additional assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Hotel was undergoing some upgrades so there was some construction activity, but our all-inclusive pkge was well priced, so you go with the flow.
Only real criticism was there was no free Wi-Fi. Cost to rent was crazy.
Our package included free daily scuba-dive! Great diving off the beach breakwater - awesome corals & fish. Snorkelling was excellent.
Nicely spread out facility.
Food was nothing special at either the buffet or the restaurants on site.
Rent a car and hit some of the beaches around the island. Take a snorkelling/dive cruise - the underwater scenery is great.
Found prices in Willemstad expensive compared many places, such as Phillipsburg, St Maarten. Booze/cigars not cheap. Town is good place to walk around.
My wife & I enjoyed Curacao and the resort. We'd probably go back again for the diving on-site and to do more off-site diving as there was so many places to go.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for informing us of your recent stay.

It was a pleasure to host you and we really appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience. Thank you for choosing as your vacation destination.
We are glad to hear your overall experience was a great one, and you enjoyed every aspect of the resort.

We look forward to having you back soon.

Should there be anything else we could assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Always at your service,

Jose Colretto
Levelland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

The entertainment every day is very fun, there is something for everyone to do. The location is beyond beautiful and the staff is always waiting on you hand and foot. The resort goes right along with the perfect beach.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa & Casino. Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely comments about your recent vacation and for all your compliments. It is so rewarding to learn you fully enjoyed our hotel.
We would love to welcome you back home in the future, so that you can relive experience again.

Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

When my group arrived to Sunscape we were met with first class treatment. We were greeted, escorted to our rooms, and the staff made sure we knew about activities that were going on around the resort.

The staff was amazing. Everyone was friendly and very helpful. By the 2nd day of my trip, the staff greeted me by my first name. They were even introducing me to staff members that were off the day before. The staff could not have been better.

My room was beautiful and very clean. Each day it was cleaned properly and the mini bar was filled daily. The grounds of sunscape were nice and it gave my vacation a relaxed feeling. The food on the buffet was really good. The Japanese and Italian restaurants on the resort were great. My group also had a private dinner on the beach at the resort and it was excellent. We could not have been treated better.

All of the staff were great but there were some that really stood out and were unforgettable. Xiomara always was pleasant and made sure my group had comfortable seating arrangements at the buffet. Prince t, Roshan and Leo de lion were amazing and handled the entertainment. Elfred was great. Steli was an excellent bartender and gave great suggestions and excellent service. Gigio was an excellent bartender. I don't know how he was able to service everyone at the lounge with a smile and perfection but he did it, night after night. Zeric, Obryan, John, Jhonson, and Viejalis were all great as well.

I usually like to travel to a different place each year, but I loved Sunscape and Curaçao so much I have to return here again.

Thank you Sunscape!

Joe

• Stayed June 2014
Jose C, General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao, responded to this review, July 4, 2014

Greetings from Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa & Casino,

It is always a pleasure to receive reviews as positive and kind as yours.

Knowing that our guests make such great memories at our resort and that the hard work of our staff is being appreciated by our valuable guests, are the reason why we keep on looking for better ways to please our guests. We sincerely appreciate your comments.

We look forward to keep indulging you and your family at the resort.

Always at your service!

Chester, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

We have just returned from a 5 night stay at Sunscape Curacao with a group of 14 people. Overall we had a great trip! The staff was very attentive. They knew us and greeted us with a smile every time we saw them. They were able to accommodate our large group during each meal. During the day the Entertainment Team kept us entertained by having dance lessons, a foam pool party,bingo, volleyball, aqua fitness, etc. After dinner they continued the entertainment with nightly shows and competitions (Battle of the Sexes and the Dance Competition). For those who wanted to keep the party going, we went to the Disco (on the far left side of the resort if you are facing the beach) and partied with the Entertainment team until 2am! We came to Curacao to let loose and have fun as well as tour the beautiful island. All was accomplished at Sunscape Curacao. There were so many absolutely wonderful staff members who assisted in making our stay an excellent one!!! They include:
Prince T, Leo De Lion, Johny, Zeric, Crazy G,OBryan (Entertainment Team), Xavier (Manager), Denise (Preferred Club lounge), Daynalisa (Hostess-World Cafe), Steli, Elfred & Renee (Bartenders-Sugar Reef Bar), Gigio (Bartender-Desires). We were so used to seeing their faces everyday we were sad when we had to leave on Sunday. These staff members, and others who's names I'm sure I've left off, were all awesome. Thank you all for the great time we had. We hope we are able to come back to Sunscape Curacao to see them all again soon!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool offer a better view of the Sea.
Dear Guest,

We would love to welcome you back home in the future, so that you can relive the whole experience again.

Yorktown, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I traveled with a group of 14 people. The staff was very good at remembering our faces and names. When it was time to eat our tables were ready and set for all of us. The one issue we did have with not having entertainment staff on one of the nights was handled efficiently and professionally by Xavier.

Special thanks to Prince T, Crazy G, Johny, Zeric, Bryan, and Leo for showing us a great time. Also thanks to Daynalisa, Milagros, Stele, Gigio, and Denise for their friendliness.

I would definitely return in the future due to the kindness of the people listed.

The resort was beautiful with an awesome view. Our rooms were lovely and the housekeeping staff maintained it very well.

Thank you for informing us of your recent stay.

We appreciate the time you have taken to share this wonderful experience.
It was a pleasure to have you with us and to be part one of the most important event in your life. We are glad we've made it as special as it was, allowing you to enjoy to the fullest.

It is very pleasant to hear you had an amazing time here, and enjoyed every minute of your stay, thanks to the exceptional attentions provided by our staff members, whose mission is to offer you a remarkable and unforgettable experience.

Thank you very much for choosing Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa & Casino as your vacation destination. We look forward to hosting you again very soon.

Jose Corletto

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao? Share your experiences!