“Well Run, clean, good for families and couples” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao

Save Saved
You added Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao to your Saves list
Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Dr. Martin Luther King Blvd. 78, Willemstad, Curacao (Formerly Princess Beach Curacao Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Hot Hot Hot Savings!
Ranked #10 of 27 hotels in Willemstad
Croton on Hudson, New York
“Well Run, clean, good for families and couples”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We took a week and a half at Sunscape in late August 2013. We are a family of four, with two teens. Mom wanted to sit on the beach, and Dad wanted to look at pretty fish (diving). This worked out well for us. We were picked up at the Airport, and taken across the island promptly. Check in was easy, and we were given adjoining rooms, as per our request. We had renovated rooms in the 7000 building and they were nice.

This was our first all inclusive...we normally go with a local rental, and get a car and adventure. I was afraid that we'd be "stuck" if it wasn't good...but not to fear. The staff is wonderful. They care, are helpful, and we had few issues. The only ones we had were language related, as this property caters to Dutch, German and a lot of South American tourists as well. I would usually be approached in Spanish (I'm brunette) and my wife, in Dutch (blond/blue eye). There was the occasional drink order mix up due to this, but that was the extent of it....the staff was great.

Security was excellent. No one tried to sell trinkets to us, or weed, or anything else. Curacao isn't crushingly poor like some other islands, so you can leave the property without becoming a target. This would be good for families-you can get off the reservation, and car rental for a day was a whopping $40.00, which we did one day.

The food was good. There is a buffet, which had some variety, for breakfast and lunch. Dinner is Buffet, or one of four restaurants. The food at all was good, keeping in mind that like any island, much is imported, and as Curacao is a desert island, not lush like PR or Jamaica, your local foods are limited-you can't graze cattle. The seafood place was excellent, the Grill OK (beef imported), the Hibachi excellent-the cooks put on a show. The Italian suffered from oddly horrible service, which was unlike the rest of the week with the staff....although when the food arrived it too was good. There is a grill open all day in addition to the above. I have a teen who eats every two hours, and he was always happy.

There are water sports, with some caveats. The area the resort has is framed by a jetty of rocks. The trade winds are constant, and taking out the sailboats would require a high level of ability, as not to end up in South/Central America. We didn't see anyone go out. Windsurfing and sea kayaking was easier. The beach is fine sand in places and rocky in others...Curacao has nice pocket beaches but not miles of fine sand. You will want water shoes. We sat many hours reading by the water. There are four bars open so you never have to go far, and the bar tenders were all good. I gave small tips, which may have helped, as few guests appeared to tip at all. The resort could buy a few dozen more snorkels...it was the only "no" we heard all week.

Beer: I saw this question asked, so as a beer geek paid attention. The beer on site is Amstel Lager, brewed in Holland, and not to be confused with the foul Amstel Lite sold in the States. It is a respectable euro lager @ 5%. Henieken owns Curacao...unlike other islands I've been to the variety of beer is nonexistent....Henieken, Amstel or rarely Polar (venezuela).... The beer variety shortage is all over the island-I spoke to a few locals and it is a point of annoyance to them- and trips to local supermarkets revealed few choices, unlike any other island I'd ever visited. For other beverages, the staff will mix you whatever you want, and the liquor on offer is very good. Resort bar service was fine.

Diving: Where to begin ? I'm certified but rusty. I took a refresher at Sunscape, along with my daughter who took the "intro to diving". Sunscape includes one tank a day for the certified. We dove in the morning, and the water was crystal clear. Unfortunately, this was the intro course only, and "tank a day" is at 2:30 pm, where the water is not nearly as clear due to turbulence. The instructor was good, and the folks at Ocean Encounters friendly. They have a 14 year old cutoff for the "intro" course, so I went across the street to The Dive Bus, who gave the course to my 13 yo son. I took it with him as well, and thought the Dive Bus operation much friendlier with better equipment. Mark and Susan were a great source of local information, so when we took our day trip, we also rented snorkels and fins from them, better equipment at a lower price than the on site dive shop, and unlike the snorkels at the resort, actually available. My son's lesson with Frank was all you could ask....if I go back to Curacao I'm just signing on with Dive Bus-cross the street and have a chat with them.

You don't need to go nuts to find good diving-the whole place is insane. We snorked at Grand Knip, at the Western tip of the island. We snorkeled at Saint Mare, further down island. Everywhere it is fantastic, but the best of all is right nearby. Go off the Sunscape property toward the "preferred" side. Go around the long beige wall (waist deep) and you are on a local beach-it is pretty small, but is safe and used by locals and school groups. There will be two jetties. Put on your mask and snorkel and just cruise around the two jetties. Morning is better for clarity. Dive Bus considers this the "house reef" and it is just wonderful, and nicer than the other side "Oslwaldo's reef" that the Ocean Encounters guys use. The dive with Dive Bus for my son's first time was the best dive of the trip. Saw Morays, spotted eel, lionfish (invasive-bad) Tang and a thousand others, in crystal clear water (am trip). Easy access and spectacular.

I suppose I could complain about a few things, but the whole place is very non-pretentious. If you want to go hang out and profile with the folks from Grosse Pointe, MI, Short Hills, NJ or Larchmont, NY this might not be the place, but if you want a truly international experience (I dove with folks from Trindad, Venezuela, Argentina, and Arkansas) and to be well taken care of, I'd go. The only folks who might find this bad are folks looking for new romance or spring breakers. Family trips, honeymooners and couples will have a good time.

Room Tip: Tuesday night is the dance party. It is a bit loud, so you may want to ask for a "Quiet Room&q...
Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

1,081 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
Joplin MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Sorry that it took me over a week to finally write this review, had to get straight back to work and right back into the stress levels that we had taken this vacation to get a break from and what an awesome vacation and break it was. We stayed from August 18 -23. (Purchased through Bookit.com). While celebrating our 31st. wedding anniversary, this turned out to be one of our best vacations to date. We have taken various destination vacations to all-inclusive resorts every year for the last 9 years mainly in the Caribbean’s and Mexico. To all of you that gave this resort bad reviews you must have been either way too picky that nothing would have made you happy or just naturally grumpy and negative because this resort was wonderful. I am so glad that we did not listen. We always go with an open mind to have fun, relax and not let anything stop that. From the very beginning to the end this was a delight. Our flight arrived very late on a Sunday night walked out of the Curacao airport to find a very nice gentleman and lady holding a sign that had the name of the resort on it and were expecting us. We got to the resort about 15 minutes later to be pleasantly greeted by the front desk at about 10:40 at night, our luggage placed on a cart by a very polite bellman whom practically stood at attention waiting to show us to our room while we were treated like queen and king and swept directly into the VIP concierge room greeted with snacks, beverages and told all about the resort, restaurants, excursions given maps and everything we needed, along with a coupon/ voucher book containing over $200. That could be used on various things at the resort, the spa, casino and such. We had arranged to be in the priority club through our booking and had requested an ocean front room closest to the beach with the best view as high as possible, and that is just what we got! We were in the flamingo building top floor end cap with a wraparound balcony. Wish that I could wake up to that view every day. The bellman’s name was Benson, after escorting us to our room and handling all of our luggage he showed us around the room which had waiting for us a chilled bottle of champagne and a fruit and cheese platter, he was very professional, polite and told us if we needed anything to let him know. He was fun to run across in the days to follow because he always had a high five for me in passing through the resort with a smile while asking if everything was alright. The housekeeping staff was wonderful our room was done squeaky clean every day, refrigerator restocked and when we would return to the room at night they had always slipped in and did turn down service with chocolates on the bed sides and flyer of events for the next day. We did not eat at any of the ala cart restaurants felt our time was too precious to be wasted in a line, not there for the food but for the beach, view from the room and bars. We ate breakfast and dinner every day at the buffet Verona Smith made every dinner so special, she was always so cheerful, professional and had the biggest smile, after our first visit she never had to ask us what we needed to drink again she remembered and would get them without even asking. We did pay to have the private sunset, ocean side dinner for two one evening and it was very romantic, we had the beef tenderloin filets, they were awesome, presentation very nice. The waiter Alvery was great and very attentive; the setting was so special with the candles and the rose pedal shaped heart around the table on the sand with my beautiful wife’s company and the spectacular sunset, something that I will never forget. We had our lunches every day except one at the ocean side café where Dennis cooked up some great food with a smile, his grilled chicken sandwiches are awesome and Rene at the bar kept our drinks coming while keeping us laughing. At the other small lunch café over by the pelican building Norma made me a nice drink that I will always remember she said it was called the planters sponge but she renamed it for me to “Baby Loves Drunk” after I had quite a few. At the main outside bar there was Ching Ping the bartender that took care of us the most, he had talked to us enough to know that once we had a drink then we were having that same all the rest of the day, so even when he saw us coming his direction he would start making them, even though there may have been others at the bar, never had to wait, felt very VIP. We did rent a car for a day and drove to some very beautiful beaches, we felt very safe just wondering around the Island, looking at a map and stopping every now and then to ask directions. We spent every other day relaxing on the beautiful beach, snorkeling right there (amazing) and soaking up the sun. The entertainment at night pool side was very nice, one night there was nowhere to sit and watch the show, Verona noticed us wandering around looking, she told us to go stand where we wanted to sit and she would be back, a few moments later she returned with two chairs for us then even went and got us full drinks. On our last night there we had made appointments at the Spa to get us both 50 minute deep tissue massages and I got the time wrong, thinking that it was at 8pm. But it was at 6:30pm so when we arrived at the Spa the door was locked and lights out. So after a trip to the room to confirm my mistake we walked over to the bar depressed (Ching Ping ready with our drinks) we really needed and wanted those massages, by this time it was about 8:45pm. And from standing at the bar I saw the Spa lights come on, so we rushed over and knocked on the window. Luck was with us because it just so happened that Joan the Manager of the Spa was also the resorts manager on duty that evening and had stopped back in to do some paperwork. Well she was awesome, after hearing our story she called and found Juanita one of her Spa employees to come back in and do both our massages. She did so well and it felt so good, the hot stones and towels make it very special, we are both still talking about how good we still feel a week later. We walked out of the Spa at about 11:00pm. When we shared our story with the front desk they said that was the latest they had ever seen anyone at the Spa. So too wrap this novel up we had a great time and felt like royalty at this resort and want everyone to know that part of what makes this place so special is the great staff. Thank you all for making this a wonderful vacation.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Awendel K, Assistant to the General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

My name is Awendel Kwidama, assistant to the General Manager.
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback and great experience at the Resort. We greatly appreciate your good comments as our guest satisfaction is our main priority.
The staff, in particular Brayenson, Verona, Elverly, Dennis and Norma are glad you gave them the opportunity to make your experience a memorable one.

Thank you for your fantastic review and we look forward to welcome you back in the very near future.

Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa & Casino
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Because once you stay at 4.5 star resorts such as Dreams in Cabo, RIU in Playa Del Carmen Mexico or Jamaica? It's hard to come down to this level.

Not saying it's a bad resort, because it's not, there are challenges that simply need to be addressed ASAP to bring this resort up to standards. Our stay was August 21 through August 26. I'll start with the pro's: Food and service was actually quite good in the Hibachi restaurant and the seafood restaurant(EXCELLENT fresh fried fish) and the steak restaurant. Ocean water was clear and crisp with lovely fish swimming near the rocks close to the shore which made for great snorkeling. Yes, the beach is rather small and there are rocks on the bottom of most parts, but my wife and I went barefoot for most of the trip and did just fine. Our room was in the Pelican building and it was bug free and for the most part, clean. Our room was almost soundproof which was great. Didnt hear a single guest or maintenance person as we slept. The thermostat was very, very old and only had two settings that worked: cold and off. It wouldn't seem to be a huge effort to examine the 1970's thermostats and upgrade for a few dollars. The small in room fridge was nice, and was good to open it to cold water, drinks, beers.

Con's: At peak time (say 3-5pm in the afternoons) it is not unheard of for the towel hut to run out of beach towels. This is unacceptable, and something I've not experienced in any of the many resorts I've visited. Why does it happen? Because this resort has not adopted a policy against guests "saving" pool/beach side chairs. As such, I noticed many guests putting towels on chair on prime locations, leave, then come back hours later to their "saved" lounge chair. I also noticed guests who would leave the beach or pool for the day and keep their beachtowels/take the towels to their room, then get up early the next morning to place those towels on the lounge chairs in the best beach locations. The guests would then go have breakfast and maybe come back later to their chairs towels. this resort needs to model other larger resorts and implement strict no lounge chair saving policys by putting up signs that clearly state any items left unattended for more than 2 hours, will be gathered and taken to lost and found. This practice will almost certainly reduce the "running out of towel" situations while making it fair for other guests

It is also not uncommon for the poolside bar to run out of cups during peak times. This is also unacceptable. Why does it happen? Because unlike other resorts, I did not notice staff consistently checking the pool and beach areas for unattended cups (some had been left in the sand or on tables next to clearly vacant seats for hours). At other resorts staff would come by and grab empty cups at least twice per hour, sometimes more often. Not so much at this resort. Running out of cups at your poolside bar at a resort in the heat of summer is unacceptable. It's the equivalent of your local bank branch consistently running out of cash when you visit to attempt a withdrawal.

Food: While the lunch and dinner meals were pretty good, the breakfast was quite limited in selection compared to other resorts. I wish I could post a pic of the huge station JUST for buns, biscuits, croissants, bagels, etc that I've experienced at RIU, not to mention the massive fruit selection and assorted other local fare that was available for breakfast. The made to order omelet was nice, but to only have 4 ingredients to choose from to have placed into the omelet, is a bit limited as well.

Activities staff: inconsistent. On one day the pool volleyball session was very fun, with the activities staff member in the pool, keeping score, participating, and keeping everyone pumped up. The next day, same time, same pool...nothing. A volleyball was tossed into the pool and guests sort of fended for themselves (amongst various languages). The beach volleyball (one of my favorite resort past times) was fairly non-existing because the beach volleyball course is stuck at that far end of the resort, waaay away from the pool/music/activity and stuck between two buildings. Guests rarely even venture down there for the game due to the location. The staff of this resort rarely had games or events that would engage ALL guests. There was a basic raffle one day which was somewhat entertaining, but Im used to resort pools/bar areas being full of fun and activity. Especially music. there really needs to be consistent party music at the pool during the afternoon evenings to get the party mood going and upbeat/uptempo. Consistently.

And this one was big to me: MUSIC. At certain times there would be a nice live DJ at the pool beside the bar. (I believe he was part of the activities team). His choice of music was actually pretty good. However, there are these small ground level speakers set up around the pool area and all around the grounds. Depending on where you are sitting, you hear music from those speakers competing against the live DJ. The same would occur at the steakhouse restaurant in the evenings. Music at the outdoor steakhouse would be nice, mellow, relaxing jazz..which would then compete with the live music coming from the live act at the pool at night. Not sure if much can be done about this (short of turning off the ground speakers when the live DJ is playing) but it's something I didn't experience at other resorts. If Im out on the beach relaxing, its quite annoying to have one music from the ground speakers and another from the live DJ.

Staff: Is is impossible to have Shermarlon(I think that's his name who checked us in) smile when he greets guests? He and the folks at the front desk are the FIRST representation of your resort. Guests who have just gotten off of hot shuttle buses and long flights appreciate a genuine smile and warm welcome. It also would not hurt to have cold drinks offered at the front desk. Doesn't have to be expensive champagne, heck, even an ice chest with soft drinks or bottled water would be a nice gesture to welcome guests.

Probably wont return..not that the place was that bad, simply put: there is better value available for much better experience in the Caribbean/Mexico.

Room Tip: Pelican building is a good building to stay in.
Couva, Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We stayed at Sunscape in August for 4 nights. The initial reception was not good. A package with my room key was handed to me and there was no explanation about the facilities and amenities. I thought the rooms were well decorated but I had to call housekeeping each day to ask for my room to be cleaned and towels to be changed. The food at the buffet was average. The servers at the buffet were extremely friendly but they forgot your drink order often as they were attending to too many people at once. I had dinner at the Steakhouse, Japanese and Seafood restaurants - the service was great and the food was excellent.

Although I was a bit disappointed, I think Sunscape has potential. I was told that they're under new management for about 9 months so they are still working on improving things. I also noticed a remarkable improvement in my last 24 hours there after I made mention of the shortcomings to management.

I really hope that they continue to work on these issues because the resort is beautiful and they have an exceptional ENTERTAINMENT TEAM. These guys provide a full day of fun activities for kids, teenagers and adults, along with nightly entertainment. They interact with the guests and they ensure that everyone has a great time. They really go above and beyond to ensure that the guests enjoy their stay and they're certainly a great asset to Sunscape.

Well done guys - Omar, Obryan, Roshan, Jonathan, Chuchoo, Zeric & Gwengelo - keep up the great work!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Awendel K, Assistant to the General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Amanda,

Thank you so much for your good comments and feedback. It's pleasing that you remarked on the food at the Steakhouse, Japanese and Seafood restaurants.
We thank you for the wonderful comments on the Entertainment team, especially Omar, Obryan, Roshan, Jonathan, Zeric & Gwengelo. We will pass this information directly to their Manager Rehnan Gaarie in order to congratulate them.

Your positive comments provide us inspiration to achieve more and to do our very best for each and every guest. We hope we can prove our high standard of hospitality again.

Thank you for choosing us.

Sunscape Curacao resort, Spa & Casino
Laval, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed at the Sunscape for 10 days in August and we really enjoyed it. As many others we almost cancelled after reading some horrible reviews but we're so happy that we didn't! It was the perfect place to be as a family of 5 (including 3 teenagers).

Rooms: The deco was great and it was quite comfy. The minibar was always replenished and everything worked well. The downsides: the shower was cleaned that thoroughly (after a few days, it really showed)., but all in all, it was just what we expected and needed.

Food: Ocean (fish): Great food and excellent service. Thanks to Raysley, we spent 2 wonderful dinners on the beach. The catch of the day (which is usually the red snapper) is excellent and the other dishes were really good.
Blue water (steak/ ribs): The appetizers were good but the beef (no matter which dish you choose) isn't. The location however is fantastic. Have the fish and you'll be happy!
Himitsu (Japanese): Really good and entertaining. It's the only restaurant for which you MUST reserve in advance.
Da Mario (italian): Good in general but I didn't try the spaghetti :) The service however lacks a few "smiles".
World Café (buffet): We were always greeted with a smile and the food was good. The service (beverage) at the tables isn't fast but hey, you're on vacation!

Activities: All the equipment worked well... we went on a short catamaran tour, used the kayaks, did windsurfing, played volleyball, enjoyed the crazy activities (sumo wrestling), went biking... it was just perfect. And of course, the snorkelling is amazing.

Visits: We rented a car (70$/day) at the hotel to go SUP (stand up paddling). We got there on time and had a lot of fun... it's nothing like any other activities we'd done before.

Catamaran ride to Klein Curaçao with Bounty Adventures: amazing experience.The employees made the difference... they were amazing. The food was really good, the snorkelling fantastic (we swam with sea turtles!) and the ride itself was more than a ride at the amusement park... believe them when they tell you you'll get went if you sit in front... you will get soaking wet!!!

Willemstad: take the time to go around and visit the round market. The ferry ride (when the bridge is open) is a must to have a different perspective of the city (which is, by the way, the only city on the island!) Take the city bus in front of the hotel (1.50$/pp) to get there if you want to stay longer than the shuttle allows you to ( you can however tell them you'll take the shuttle only one way and take the bus the other way).

Rent a car to visit the island... there isn't much to see in terms of scenery but the different beaches are great and at Shete Boka the blowhole is worth the detour.

Hope you'll enjoy it as much as we did. Sit back and relax, you're on vacation!

Room Tip: We were in building 7 (Pelican) and it was just great! Building 8 (preferred club) is also recommend...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Manahawkin, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This is the 3rd "AM Resort" that I have stayed at (Dreams Cancun and Dreams La Romana being the other two). You can definitely tell that it isn't a "Dreams" ... BUT regardless it was still a really really nice place. I would highly recommend it and I am a picky one! The room was clean and the facility was well kept. Food was great too.

Tips:
1. Stop at the concierge early on in the lobby and take a look at the trips that they have to offer. Many of them only go out on select days.
2. If you are going to take a trip to Klein Curacao, book with Mermaid tours! They have the largest hut and shade area on the island. Shade is crucial as it is VERY hot! I recommend the trip for sight-seeing of the lighthouse, ship wrecks, AND snorkeling off the North end of the island-- there are giant sea turtles!! The company will pick you up right at Sunscape and shuttle you back. Just one thing: BRING CASH. They do not except credit cards for payment and we felt really stupid.
3. If you can, rent a car for the day to explore the island. I wish we had more time to do so- it is a gorgeous place and I felt relatively safe the entire time.
4. Book a shuttle to town a (at least a day early) with the concierge. It is free and drops you off in Punda/Willemstad where the floating bridge and colorful buildings are. Was a fun excursion!
5. BRING SNORKEL GEAR! The resort frequently ran out of it. I had my own and it was nice to not have to worry about that. Plus, the snorkeling off the resort was probably the best I saw on the island!! SOOO many colorful fish. Grab some extra bread at breakfast and plastic baggy it with you to the rock reef. They come from every which way. We even saw a large Moorey Eel!
6. Take a snorkel trip with the Ocean Encounters people right at the dive shop on the resort. We wanted to do the Tug Boat wreck but didn't have time. We were able to do Directors Bay which had some of the most amazing coral I have ever seen. The tour guides were really nice and helpful too!
7. You will read a lot of complaints about the room service not stocking the bar or forgetting small amenities--- leave a note and a small cash tip with what you want. Worked wonders for us and we had a fully stocked fridge every day!

"Cons" (if you can call them that):
1. WiFi- ONLY for Preferred Club guests (which we luckily were). However, you can only access it in the lobby and it is spotty sometimes. A preferred guest should have wifi available IN room. That would have been more convenient at least. BUT, it is vacation, so I didn't mind disconnecting a bit.
2. Pools close early. 7pm early. I wanted to just soak a bit before a late dinner reservation and we weren't able to.
3. Foot wash stations- sounds silly, but Dreams had them EVERYWHERE and it was nice to rinse the sand off. There were only 2 that we could find at this resort.

All-in-all a magnificent trip..... maybe I'm bias because I got engaged at a private dinner on the beach too! Elvery was a great server who really made the night special.

Don't let everyone's complaints scare you-- great time!!

Room Tip: Preferred Club was nice!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Awendel K, Assistant to the General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Jaime,

We hereby would like to thank you for your positive comments and we greatly appreciate that you took the time to wrote them.
This comments provide us inspiration to achieve even more and to do our best for each guest at Sunscape Curacao.
We are going to share the good comments on Elvery directly with the F&B Manager to congratulate him.
It was a pleasure to have you as a guest.

Thank you for choosing us and we hope to see again soon.

Management
Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa & Casino.
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Please note: this review of Sunscape resorts in Curacao is in no way is a reflection of the beautiful island of Curacao, the wonderful people, other amazing businesses or resorts / hotels we had great experiences with. In fact, this was our only terrible experience on our 9-day trip. We stayed at The Marriot the first 6 days of our vacation and it was amazing.

I would give Sunscape Resorts in Curacao a “zero star” review if that option were possible. Please avoid staying at this resort and read our review carefully. Also, please read our other reviews about Curacao, which are all 5 star. We are not difficult people, nor do we have high standards or unrealistic expectations.

Our initial experience was disappointing when we checked in. The front reception area was very chaotic and no one was available to direct us to the reception or formally greet us. In fact, “the security” and other staff looked at us suspiciously. When we made in to the check in desk, the lady behind the counter seemed like she did not want to make eye contact, never smiled or even welcomed us. She told us that a bellman would show us to our room and help us with our luggage. That did not happen and we had to flag someone down who was actually pretty nice and helpful.

I guess we stayed in the “old” part of the resort, which seemed almost like a “Motel” rather than a high-end resort. We stayed on the third floor and there was no elevator. We “technically” got an Ocean-View room, although there was a huge palm tree in the way, and we were pretty far (relatively speaking) from the Ocean. The room was small, but clean, and decently decorated. Overall, I did not have an issue with the room. The actual resort, which included the beach, chairs, huts, etc. were pretty decent. The beach was pretty “rocky” and not very well maintained. The snorkeling was great (the snorkeling gear was provided) and the water was clear and warm. We didn’t use some of the available equipment such as: kayaks, hobies, etc. which were readily available. They did have movies on the beach on a big screen which was pretty cool. The pool was not that great or clean, we did see food or something floating in the pool although we did see resort workers cleaning the pool daily. Overall, the pool area was just average.

There are three or four “restaurants” on the resort: a steakhouse, seafood, Italian, Japanese / Sushi and a buffet in addition to “snack-shacks”. The restaurants have certain hours and some are closed a few days of the week. When they are closed you have to eat at the snack-shacks that have poor quality food: hamburgers, hotdogs, popcorn, grilled chicken, nachos and cheese, etc. The steakhouse was terrible: poor quality meat, veggies and sides. The portions were tiny. The wine was very bad. The scenery was good but the wait times were long: 45 minutes to be seated and about 1.5 hours from when we were seated to when we finished. Also, they tended to “run out” of some of the items in the menu. The Italian restaurant was actually pretty decent, with the portions being bigger and tastier. Not great or high quality but much better than the so-called “steakhouse”. The Japanese / Sushi was good and we sat at the grill with the chef entertaining us throughout the meal. We ate at the buffet for breakfast and the food was terrible: the bacon was cut to pieces and after looking at it, it was all bacon fat. There were dead fruit flies on the glass sneeze guard which smelled like a chemical pesticide. The other food was very bad and we avoided most of the other items.

The alcohol is of poor quality, mostly bottom shelf. The mixed drinks were terrible, weak and limited on types of drinks that they could make you on / near the beach. Although the bartenders were very nice, I don’t think they were trained professionally. There was a decent bar, with decent liquor, near the lobby.

The internet is $15 USD / day, and ONLY available in the lobby (which has no front or back doors and is always pretty damn hot, crowded and noisy). There is no wi-fi available in your rooms or the beach. In fact, we paid for internet and when we logged on, there was an invalid password error which means the password we paid for was not activated. As a result, we had to pay to make calls to our family in the US which turned out to be extremely expensive ($40/5 minute call). Internet was extremely important for us to call our family and to plan our excursions in Curacao.

The service was a mixed bag. Most of the workers were very nice and polite but only when you initiated contact. I have a feeling that they are poorly paid and stressed out which points to problems with upper management. The service at the front desk was extremely bad. Not only did they have a “why are you bothering me” attitude, at times they seemed very accusatory. Whenever we asked how to make outgoing calls, they really only cared about if we left a $100 down payment which we did with our credit card. They questioned us on who we made the payment with and when. Shouldn’t this information be on file? Our room was not cleaned 1 out of our 3 days and we had to call twice to get clean towels. Every time we had a question we were referred to the “concierge desk” which had limited hours.

In summary, it was over $300 / night for this all-inclusive resort of which we planned day trips and ate out at other restaurants and resorts so as to not ruin our vacation. If you plan to come to this beautiful island, please stay away from this terrible resort. Again, we have had nothing but positive and amazing experiences with the people of Curacao and the other resorts / businesses we have dealt with. We have nothing against this particular resort other than the fact that we felt like we were ripped off and sold a false façade. Do yourself a favor, stay far away from Sunscape Resort in Curacao.

Room Tip: Avoid this resort at all costs.
Dear Rohan,

My name is Awendel Kwidama , assistant to the General Manager.
We recently read your post and we thank you for your comments. This kind of feedback helps us to know what areas we need to improve and recognize others that are in the right path.
We are currently working on the manner and attitude of the external security company.
Regarding the staff who did not want to make an eye contact or smile, we need to inform that they are being reinforced and trained by Mr. Kurt Klaber and Mrs. Clyrette Bonifacio who are our executive managers that are taking care of the improvement in the customer service and ensure that the staff has the great smile.
Thank you for the good comments about the room and the great time you had with snorkeling.
Concerning the pool we need to inform that it has been totally turn over and looks clear.

We thank you for helping us with your review.

Yours sincerely,

Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa & Casino

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao? Share your experiences!