“Terrific resort, perfect honeymoon - very glad we took the chance” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao

Save Saved
You added Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao to your Saves list
Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Dr. Martin Luther King Blvd. 78, Willemstad, Curacao (Formerly Princess Beach Curacao Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Nights!
Ranked #12 of 27 Hotels in Willemstad
Albany, New York
“Terrific resort, perfect honeymoon - very glad we took the chance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We just got back from our perfect honeymoon at the Sunscape resort in Curacao. Because of this website and some poor reviews, we nearly cancelled our reservation for another place on the island about a month ago. We are so glad we didn't! It was perfect and honestly the only place I would've enjoyed staying.

Location: during my stay on the island I had a chance to check out some of the alternatives when we met for an excursion at the Marriot and the Hilton. I am so glad we didn't opt for anything down this way. The atmosphere, scenery, and environment is so much better at Sunscape. The Marriot/Hilton did not have beaches on the water, but sand like in a playground. The water was deep and dark inside a bay which gave the impression of a lake moreso than the clear sky blue beautiful ocean view from the Sunscape. To top it all off, the snorkeling at Sunscape is phenomenal. Just off the beach, on either side of the rock wall you see in pictures- you will find so many fish and coral reef you will be blown away all week. If you swim out a little further, you will find the drop off. I will be posting a YouTube video as soon as I can put together all of my fish footage that you can search out. Some of the best snorkeling in the Caribbean, right at their doorstep.

The resort itself is very well run. Either management has drastically improved everything in recent months, or what I have come to realize after staying there a week is- guests are rude. My only complaint from my week, was about the other guests. Many did not know the concept of a line, or recognizing a line, and waiting in one for your turn. Others were very rude to the staff for the most petty and unreasonable things. I honestly felt sorry for workers who had to put a smile on their face and put up with how they were treated. My experience all week was nothing but top grade service. We were not paying for 5 star accommodations, but they certainly strive for 5 star service. Some people seem to forget they aren't paying $600/night.

Food: The world cafe (informal common buffet) offered plenty of variety to stay interested all week. The lunches outside or at the cafe were nice and informal and quick while taking a break from the beach and sun. We loved that there was no limit to restaurant visits for dinner. As noted by the resort, this policy creates some lag and wait periods during peak hours. We avoided peak hours and never had to wait a moment, and never had an issue. One evening we ended up eating at peak 8pm and it did take a while, as expected. We watched numerous guests around us throw fits and storm out, and it was really a shame. You know what you're getting into by eating at 8pm so why get upset? It's a shame really. And the drinks are still free while you wait :)

Rooms: Rooms were great. I only saw the Pelican and Flamingo building but they were both nice and newly renovated. View was great. Clean. No issues. The security deposit box was free and easy to use. Maids took perfect care of the room, delivering everything they should be. Times for cleaning room varied, but we weren't in the room during the day anyways.

Honeymoon: The resort went way above and beyond making sure our honeymoon was perfect. Champagne waiting for us in the room upon arrival. Banner across the door. Private dinner on the beach. top notch.

Tips: Water shoes are nice to have for your time on the island in general. It is not always necessary at sunscape though because they have stretches of beach that are pretty clear, and once you get out 20 feet, no matter where you are, the floor bottom becomes amazingly clear.

Buy and bring your own snorkel/goggles for $15 before going and you will definitely get your money's worth. It just makes life a lot easier than using the resort's and returning within the hour. Most times you will want to be out there longer than that. Flippers were never an issue to take out.

Something I never considered was bug spray and anti-itch cream. I spent the late nights sitting on the beach and watching the ocean in the moonlight, but my feet and ankles got bit up pretty badly by mosquitoes or sand fleas. I wish I had bug spray and itch cream because the bites were bad by end of week.

Conclusion: Sunscape was perfect for us and made for the perfect honeymoon. 100% recommend

Room Tip: I only have experience in building 7 and 8, the flamingo and pelican buildings- both of which were i...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Awendel K, Assistant General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear guests Gauglerb,

My name is Awendel Kwidama, Assistant General Manager and we would like to thank you for the fantastic review and wonderful comments!.
We are so glad you found us to be above average and recommendation worthy and that you decided to give Sunscape Curacao a try and even more pleased that you had so much fun with us during your honeymoon. We look forward to serving you again in the near future!

Once again thank you for choosing us.

Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa & Casino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
Tampa, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I went to the Sunscape Curacao in early July with my husband, my two children (ages 9 and 12), and my in-laws. I am an all-inclusive veteran, a mom, and I work in the Travel Industry (not for AM Resorts). I would like to share out experiences, especially addressing the areas than many here on Trip Advisor complained about.

• Check In…we were able to check in within 10 minutes, so no complaints there. However, once we got to our rooms we realized they had mixed up my Agent-rate room with my in-law’s preferred club room. No problem – we just switched room keys. When we got to our room, we only had 1 king bed. Not good if you’re traveling with a 9 year old and a 12 year old. The bag porter and the cleaning lady BOTH offered to bring in rollaways, but I told them not to worry about it, I would go back up and get us moved. I waited about 15 minutes before I could move up the line to the front desk. I explained the situation, and they gave us a new room in the same building, 2nd floor. We liked the room, it had a great view, and had 2 double beds. When I went downstairs, though, my in-laws were unhappy. Even though they were in a non-smoking room, their room smelled HEAVILY of smoke. Again the cleaning lady offered to spray, clean again, etc. Since my in-laws paid full-price through AEV, I decided to go back up to the desk and get them moved. This time the line was so long it took me 20 minutes to get to the desk. When I explained the problem, they gave my in-laws another room two doors down from their original one, and it turned out to be great. Overall, it took me 1 hour and 36 minutes to get the rooms resolved. The front desk staff was friendly, helpful, and courteous. The problem lies in the fact that the rooms were incorrectly assigned to begin with (noted often on Trip Advisor.) I even had written confirmation from the Resort Manager 48 hours prior to check in of what our room assignments were. I was happy with the solution, but starting off your vacation with over an hour-and-a-half of problems isn’t the best way to start a vacation.

• The rooms were spotless. The décor was nice, the bathrooms were clean, the views from the deck were amazing. If I was going to point to the one thing people may be noting in their reviews, it would be the grout in the shower. It wasn’t dirty. As a matter of fact, when we checked in your could still smell the cleaning fluids they used. However, the grout had some discoloration. Being from Florida, I know that if you live in a humid area and you use the wrong kind of grout, it gets discolored due to the high humidity. Once that discoloration occurs, there’s no way to get it out. You can scrub it with pure bleach and it won’t budge. It’s my belief that they used the wrong grout, and as a result have some discoloration. I do not believe it was dirty, and I let my kids shower in there. Also - our mini-bar was stocked daily with two beers, sodas, and bottled water.

• There are 3 different types of buildings on the resort. The “older” buildings are all two stories. All have at least partial ocean views, except for the Ibis building. (We were in the Plover building which was right next to the main pool, and straight-up ocean-front.) The “Tower” is in mid-renovation. I poked around a little and found the renovated rooms to be larger than the rooms in the other buildings, with exceptional views, although you would have the pool & music noise until 11 pm. The “new” buildings are the Pelican and the Flamingo buildings. Both are U-shaped buildings. The Pelican has a smaller “kids” pool, a large Bar, and the Oceana Grill in the middle. The Flamingo building has a large pool. All rooms are ocean front/ocean view. I talked up someone staying there and got to see their room. It was more-or-less the same size and décor as mine, but with a slightly awkward furniture arrangement (the TV was on the same wall as the couch & bed.) The guest I spoke with said it was no big deal – they just moved the couch to the other wall. The Flamingo building is the “VIP” Building, although I have no idea what qualifies you as a “VIP”. Maybe those are time-shares?

• The beds were comfortable – not too hard or too soft – and the AC worked fine. We had great water pressure, and plenty of hot and cold water. Not sure where the folks on Trip Advisor are getting these from.

• The staff was EXCEPTIONAL. The janitorial staff, the bartenders, the waiters and waitresses, the kid’s club staff, the water sports staff…without exception they were 100% friendly, helpful, and courteous. They smiled, offered to help, gave compliments, interacted with our kids…just awesome. I can only think that if someone encountered rude staff they were getting back what they gave. We did not experience a single unpleasant employee. Not one.

• The restaurant service was almost excellent. At the Italian restaurant – Da Mario – the service was excruciatingly slow. Once seated it took 20 minutes for anyone to come to the table. Then it was another 20 minutes before we even had water brought to the table. The server was friendly, but the entire meal took almost 3 hours (which wouldn’t be as much of an issue, really, if they would just bring drinks and bread out more quickly.) At each of the other restaurants – including the buffet – the service was faster than what you get in your average Outback Steakhouse on a Saturday night. Most of our meals lasted about an hour – a little longer if we stayed to drink wine. Except for the one restaurant, which was likely understaffed, we were satisfied with the speed of service.

• The food was good. Notice I said good – not great. We didn’t have anything that was BAD, but none of the meals stood out as exceptional. At most AIs we’ve been to, there’s usually one or two restaurants that are outstanding. Not the case here. Also, they keep the same menus, so if you are there for 5 nights or longer you’re going to have to hit a few restaurants more than once. It would be nice if they would rotate the menu mid-week just to give more options to people staying there longer. Of the restaurants, we all liked the Oceana Grill the best. ALL of the restaurants are open-air, Hawaii-style, except for Da Mario. They get very little rain in Curacao, but there is always a breeze, and each meal was pleasant.

• The pools were fine. There are two newer pools over near the Flamingo and Pelican buildings. Those were pristine. The “main” pool is older, and has a few chipped tiles. It could use a face-lift, but was clean and spacious. Every single day I saw staff cleaning the pools. No exceptions. I also saw staff clean the beaches every single day. There was no dirt or film on the pools (other than some sand brought in from the beach), the water wasn’t cloudy, and I had no qualms whatsoever about letting my kids swim. We also never had any problem finding a beach chair, either by the pool, in the sun on the beach, or in the shade on the beach.

• The swim-up pool bar…the swim-up pool bar is part of a large Bar issue I will expand on shortly. The claims that the pool bar isn’t staffed are justified. The swim-up pool bar is the lower half of the pool-side “land” bar. Most times there was only one bartender, and he was in the upper part. On a few occasions, they had TWO bartenders in that bar. If that were the case, one of them would glance down every few minutes at the swim-up, and if there was someone there they would come down to serve them. It didn’t diminish my experience, but I can see where people would get frustrated. The resort advertises a swim-up bar, but if 80% of the time you can’t get served there, what good is it? (On a side note – they swim up bar area has signs noting it’s for “Adults Only”. The staff was pretty vigilant about enforcing that, which I appreciated. I also saw that enforcement in the “Adults Only” hot tub.)

• The beaches. Over and over you read complaints about the “rocky” beach. The reef off-shore is part of a marine sanctuary. As a result, there ARE rocks on the beach. HOWEVER, on two of the 4 crescent-shaped beach areas they maintain a rock-free sandy area to enter and exit the water. If you want to enter the water where the rocks are, you will need water shoes. I can’t imagine why the some of the reviewers were too lazy to walk 20 yards to get to the sandy entrance. One can easily enter and exit the water barefoot in the sandy areas, and they are large enough for 20-25 people holding hands to enter as a line.

• The size of the drink cups (you see this complaint a lot too…) Apparently it is a law in Curacao that alcoholic drinks must be served in cups, and the cups have to be limited in the number of ounces they hold. (There is a sign on every bar saying so.) Yes – the cups are small. But…if you bring your own big cup, they will pour you as many little cups as it takes to fill your big cup. They are also more than happy to fill your 42 ounce Tervis tumbler with juice, water, or sodas. I can see where our big-gulp, super-size society has issues with the little cups, but it’s really not a huge issue. A slight inconvenience, if anything.

• The quality of the alcohol. This may be the single most valid complaint on Trip Advisor, and the only serious complaint I have. There is only one beer choice at the resort: Amstel. Although it’s tasty and cold, a few other options would be nice. The wine was good – better than the house wines you might order at TGI Fridays or the Olive Garden. The champagne was also good (especially when missed with the mango juice they have at all the bars – yummy!) That’s about where it ends though. After 2 days of ordering a variety of cocktails (margaritas, rum-and-cokes, daiquiris, etc.), not a single one of us could taste or smell any alcohol. On day #3, my husband, father-in-law, and I split up on a mission. We each visited every single bar on the resort. We asked for either “The good rum”, or “a double” or “stronger” or “I’d like to taste the alcohol. One would think if you ordered and drank cocktails from 6 different bars you might be a little tipsy but that happen. We couldn’t taste or smell the alcohol in a single mixed drink we ordered. We saw the bartenders pour the liquor from the bottles, but I’m not sure what was coming out of the bottles. If someone fills your cup ¾ full with Crown Royal, and then tops it off with coke, you should be able to taste and smell it. Keep in mind that I was traveling with my kids and my in-laws. We’re in our 40’s, and my in-laws are in their 60’s. None of us was on a mission to get drunk. My father-in-law said it best when he said: “I am a grown adult who paid thousands of dollars to come on this vacation. I am not looking to get hammered, but it’s insulting to me to not be able to get an actual cocktail when I specifically ask for one.” It’s a problem – a serious one, in my opinion – and I have passed that on to my contacts at AM resorts.

Our overall impressions of the resort?

The deck on our building (Plover) hadn’t been replaced yet. It was a little worn and weathered, but it was HUGE. My in-laws had a room on the first floor. They had a patio secluded by bougainvillea. Each day they walked right out to their beach chairs in the shade.

The snorkeling is some of the best I have ever experienced…it beats Mexico, the Keys, and the Mediterranean. The water is full of marine life right off the beach. There were always LOTS of fish. We also saw squid, rock fish, huge schools of Angelfish, Parrotfish, a Barracuda, Tarpon, crabs as big as dinner plates, and much more. You can bring your own snorkel equipment or use the resort’s equipment. I did both, and found the resort’s equipment to be newer and in great condition. The lagoon from the beach to the reef is maybe 100 yards – even kids can swim it. The length of the beach and lagoon is impressive – maybe ¼ mile long? Maybe longer? We also used the kayaks with no issues or waits, and the water sports staff took us out on the catamarans, even outside the reef into the open ocean. The water is crystal clear, with visibility of forever. We really, really, really enjoyed it.

One huge benefit of the resort is the dive shop on property. If you are a certified diver, you get one free boat dive per day. They go to a different location each day of the week, and the boat docks right at the dive shop. If you’re not certified, you get a free intro course and reef dive. My husband and I did this, and it was excellent. The staff at Ocean Encounters was fun and friendly. Adrian was our instructor, and we found him to be very thorough in his instruction. Afterwards we did a tank dive on the reef (no boat necessary – it’s right there.) He took us in groups of 3 or 4, and we dove for a good 45 minutes. The reef was beautiful!

The entertainment each night was by the pool, and it varied. One night it was a dance party, one night a cultural party. One evening they had a lady with a lovely voice singing. Our favorite was a Trumpet player that was so good he should be playing in New York or New Orleans…REALLY fabulous. It can get loud if you are in either the Plover Building or the mid-renovation Tower building, but they shut it all down at 11:00 pm.

Although our kids didn’t go to the Explorer’s Club much (most of the other kids were much younger than they are), the kid’s club staff always made a point to say hello to them and invite them to join whatever activity they were headed to. They were very friendly and professional. Our kids did spend our last afternoon in the Explorer’s Club (they were sun & watered out.) The staff was very thorough about getting info from us about the kids. My kids basically played basketball and foosball and played video games. My daughter also did some art. Although we had given permission for them to sign themselves out, in both instances the staff walked with them to find us.

They have a rock wall over by the dive shop, and the staff was always willing to come out and help the kids climb. They were very safety conscious and encouraging.

The resort also does Movies on the Beach every night. Our kids went 3 nights and they loved it. The staff hands out bagged popcorn, which was a huge hit. It’s set up right next to the Plover building within view of the Blue Water Grill. Once we even went to dinner there while our kids watched the movie. Overall a great little benefit for families.

On our last night, my husband and I sat out on our deck talking about the resort. We were trying to figure out what would make this “good” resort a “great” resort. We decided that if they could get the check-in process worked out;up the quality of one or two of the restaurants, and fix the dismal liquor situation, they could be great. We gave the resort a B, but if they could tweak those three things it would be an A. We would go back again, especially for the free diving and the fabulous snorkeling!

One note of caution: there is an exit tax to leave the country of Curacao. Check your plane tickets. My in-laws flew on American, and their tax was incorporated into the price of their place tickets. We flew DAE (Dutch Antilles Express), but our tax was not included. It ended up being $40 USD per person. We purchased the DAE tickets because they were less expensive, but the $160 exit tax put a big dent in those “savings”.

I hope this is helpful!

Room Tip: Rooms from every building except Ibis have at least a partial ocean-view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Luis-viajero, Director of Sales at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear Beth:
Thanks for taking the time to write such a thorough feedback... and most important, for being so objective... that is highly appreciated.
You are right and some tweaks needs to be done... we have administrated this property under Sunscape flag for a few months and, while we have accomplished some goals... we are aware we need to keep up working with our staff to become what you correctly called an A.
Keep in touch, I am sure more good news will keep coming from Sunscape Curacao.
Best regards,
South Lyon, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Our family spent 7 nights at this resort, with 3 rooms. Our view was lovely. The rooms were adequate. It would have been nice if the refrigerators had been stocked daily, receiving towels daily would have also been nice! I received washcloths the first day but by the end of the stay housekeeping left 1 towel in our room. We had to go retrieve them off their cart. It took 5 requests to receive a hair dryer in my room. It couldn't be plugged into the bathroom, I had to sit in a chair (cord not long enough for me to stand) next to the sliding door in the room.
Most of the staff was very pleasant and friendly. Alex in the Italian Restaurant was fabulous! Emerson was also a stand out staff member. The Sushi chef (I'm sorry I can't remember her name) was one of the highlights of our meals. I was very disappointed in the staff in grill during the day, the grill cook was always extremely rude and unpleasant.
We have stayed at several Caribbean Islands and have always loved the fresh fruit, except for at this one. The fruit was hard and had no flavor. Not what we expected.
The main pool could use some work and some cleaning. The pool bar was never opened! very disappointing, if you are going to advertise a pool bar OPEN it. Frozen drinks are only served at the main bar, this is a warm tropical island...
The snorkeling was great fun, lots of underwater activity going on. There are plenty of chairs to enjoy the beach. It's a bit rocky so you may want to bring water shoes.
Upon double checking that our transportation back to the airport was scheduled, my husband was lectured he should have scheduled this 24 hours in advance....he did.
This resort has potential but just falls short. The finishing touches just aren't there, it leaves you not unhappy but not quite satisfied either. It was a wonderful vacation and we all had fun but I would not stay at another Amersorts hotel. This was our first experience with them and would not be willing to chance that they are all run this poorly.
The Island is lovely but beware of the taxi drivers. They are very expensive, our driver actually told us that they were trained to take advantage of tourist. Nice. You might want to rent a car if you plan on leave the resort several times.
The Dolphin Academy was well worth it, it was fabulous. What a great day. It's about a 10-15 minute walk from the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Awendel K, Assistant General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

We recently read your post and thank you for your comments. This kind of feedback help us know what area we need to improve and recognize others that are on the right path.
Your positive comments on Alex from the Italian restaurant and the pleasant experience you had with snorkeling provides us inspiration to achieve even more and to do our very best for each and every guest at Sunscape Curacao. Thank you for the recognition regarding to adequate rooms. Regarding the Sushi Chef, Terrence Damon we are going to share the comments directly with his manager to congratulate him.
We had already implemented a program within the minibar area to avoid any further situation based on your and other guests comment.
We will review the situation with Mrs. Harday Andijapan with the Blue Water Grill captain.
Regarding the pool bar our apologies, but usually it is open on a daily basis.
We promise you to work on the improvement of the areas and ensure that sort of inconveniences never happen again. Once again thank you for choosing us.

Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We just returned from a week's stay at Sunscape Curacao and we had a most enjoyable experience. I have to agree with Brigid M from Missouri; eye contact, a smile and a pleasant greeting goes a long way! Folks, we're on vacation, relax and enjoy. The service staff are very receptive to a kind hello. And to my fellow Americans, tipping is a wonderful thing. I realize this is an all inclusive, but these people are working hard all day trying to satisfy our every whim, float them a buck or two. It's worth double to them on this island. And it's a positive gesture.

Upon our arrival: We had speedy service checking in. CHRIS was at the Front Desk and was extremely pleasant. HURON, the bell hop, was funny as he walked with us showing us the property. It was obvious he was enjoying his day. We visited both the Concierge desk and VIP Services to get acclimated with the area and plan trips. VIEJALIS the concierge was above and beyond friendly and helpful. AGLAYDA and JAYNE-ANNE were as equally friendly and quick to smile every day that I saw them.

Food Service: Here again, eye contact, smile, greet - it's amazing how it works. ELVERY was our Romantic dinner waiter and very spot on. We were never left wanting, he was very attentive. JERICHO was our breakfast and lunch waiter in the buffet restaurant. He was always there if we needed anything. VERONA was our evening waitress at the buffet restaurant. She was quick with her service and her smile.

Bar: CORLENA was my bartender of choice. She always saw me and was quick with my drinks. She was also quick to smile and called my baby. RIO met my husband before me and they were quick friends. He, too, was always quick with a smile and always asked how our day was and if we were enjoying ourselves.

Housekeeping: XIOMARA was absolutely wonderful. Our room was immaculate every day. She left us incense in the bathroom which I just thought was an awesome added touch. And for those who had problems getting their fridge stocked everyday, here's a suggestion, leave a note of what you want. It works wonders. We left a note for Xiomara every morning what we wanted to drink and it was always stocked for us.

Now, last but certainly not least, we absolutely fell in love with MISMEILIN!!!! She is definitely the hostess with the mostess at the buffet restaurant. She had an infectious smile that warmed our hearts. She greeted everyone quickly and learned names of the guests of the resort, which is impressive. She also encouraged me to enjoy ice cream on my birthday. You rock that hat, girl!!

Our room was on the 1st floor, 7th building with a beach and sunset view. Absolutely beautiful. They have a huge coral barrier that allows the water to be calm. We took a bagel out everyday to feed the numerous schools of fish that would swim all around us allowing snorkeling children a feast for their eyes. Truly incredible. We're close to the equator here, wear your sunscreen and apply regularly. However, there are numerous areas on the beach with palm trees to allow a break from the sun. Very relaxing.

There are only a few items to address as far as the improvements that would benefit this resort. It is an older property under new management and they are making major attempts to better everything. The room is cold at night, but we like it cold and it beats it being hot! The shower water may not be as hot as I would have liked, but cool showers are refreshing after a day in the hot sun. The bed is firm, but again, that's what I like. It is a coral beach, but if the complaint is that the beach is rocky, please note that this is not the resort's fault. This would be a coral beach in the world that God created. The biggest problem I experienced was the slamming doors. If I may suggest a mechanism be attached to the doors that keep them from slamming shut when guests return to their rooms at 3 a.m. and other various times during the night.

It's obvious that the new management is making every effort to better this resort. We experienced a rain storm one morning and the maintenance crew was out there within minutes afterwards cleaning and clearing pathways.

If you're looking for the Ritz Carlton, then go to the Ritz. If you're looking for a quiet, quaint, calm and relaxing place, then visit here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Awendel K, Assistant General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Charlotte,

We hereby would like to thank you for your positive comments and very pleased to read your comments about the friendliness of the staff: Chris, Huron, Viejalis, Aglayda, Jayne-Ann, Elvery, Jericho, Verona, Corlena, Riomar, Xiomara and Mismeilin.
Certainly we will pass this on directly to their department managers to congratulate them.
Your comments provide us inspiration to achieve even more and to do our very best for each and every guest at the hotel.
Thank you for choosing us and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Yours Sincerely,

Boca Raton, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Our family of 7 spent a week at this resort. One of our three rooms was quite damp, rooms were plenty cold without a/c, refrigerator wasn't very cold, lighting especially in the bathroom was practically non-existent (get your make-up on before the sun goes down). The grounds and views are picturesque. There is limited sandy beach, much coral beach, with plenty of seating for sunning. And, of course, there were several pools which were fairly well maintained. We found the Trattoria Da Mario, Himitsu, and Blue Water Grill restaurants quite good, but the buffet was very disappointing as food quality was consistently poor to mediocre. You would think at a tropical resort the fresh fruit would be at its best…not! Daytime food at the Blue Water Grill was less than good and so was the staff, nighttime different food and staff. This resort, which has a limited number of dining facilities, does not open every restaurant every night, so check the schedule to avoid disappointment. The staff was wonderful…pleasant and accommodating, so I am surprised to find negative posts on this subject. Although this is an all-inclusive resort, consider tipping the wait staff…they work very hard to provide a good vacation experience. If you can’t tip, at least be courteous! Special thanks to Norma at the pool bar who was always laughing, to Zerik for the personal tour because we missed the scheduled tour of the property, and to Emerson, who gave us an interesting history lesson of the island and it’s culture. Four of our family members enjoyed their dives, and we all enjoyed snorkeling. There seemed to be a daily shortage of something, from plates to wash clothes to beach towels. The gift shops offered a little for a lot…a bottle of suntan lotion will cost you $30 if you don’t arrive prepared. Taxis are rather costly so consider car rental if you want to venture off premises several times during your stay. Heading into town for a meal or shopping will cost about $80 round-trip. Our room keys “expired” a couple of times, transportation arrangements were lost, etc. All in all we enjoyed our vacation, but management missed the mark in many instances.

Room Tip: We were fortunate... thought we were in garden view, got ocean view. Nice front view, not a pleasan...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Naples, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Very disappointed And sad to say we should've listened to the reviews of the past guests!
The week prior to leaving I sent an email to confirm our upgraded room. I never received a response from that email. The first room was building 7 which had 2 double beds for my husband and I. the view was the side of the bar oceana. Had to wait at front desk about 25 minutes to switch rooms. Room number 2 was in building 8. Room #2 had our king bed ocean view that we requested and paid additional for. This rooms ac was set at 60 with a broken control to adjust temp. It was either on or off all night long with a room full off Mosquitos( pics attached). Tried to call down to front desk, but there was no phone in the room! In the morning switched rooms yet again!
The pool was filthy! The algae/mold in the pool has been building for months, this type of mold doesn't grow In a week or two! Pool was useless to us. The volleyball pool light was hanging out with its wire for an entire week in the bottom of the pool.(pics attached)
Restaurants are very unorganized, understaffed, and constantly running out of food. It's best to eat at the buffet for breakfast lunch and dinner just to avoid this frustration.
Swim up pool bar was closed all week. By the fourth day I was seriously looking around waiting for someone to pop out and tell me I was on candid camera.
Thank God for the beach/lagoon, snorkeling and the awesome friends we made. This place has so much beautiful potential. Obviously management is not doing there job. I don't understand how many more negative experiences you have to read and see to make a change!

• Stayed August 2013
Awendel K, Assistant General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Yeemilano,

Thank you very much for detecting the potential of the property.
We have the best resort beach and almost 50% off our rooms have a partial or ocean view.
We are investing $ 7 million to up-grade the property.
Thank you for your feedback.
1. Please help us with the email address you already sent with your request in order to fix the
mising link.
2. We are working to fix all maintenance details reported on your pics.
3. We are increasing by 10% in our staff at F&B.
4. Regarding the pool bar, it is open once again on a daily basis.
Thank you for helping us with your review.

Kansas City, Missouri, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I was concerned about this resort because of many recent negative reviews. I would consider this a 3 star resort, but bumped it up to 4 stars because I had so much fun. This is what I experienced:

Rooms - We stayed in the Pelican building (ocean view). Our room was newly renovated all though a little damp. Yes - the beds are firm. If that's a deal breaker for you, stay somewhere else. The room was cold at night, but I knew that going into it so I brought long pants/shirt to sleep in.

Beach - This is a CORAL BEACH. If you have sensitive/delicate feet, I highly suggest water shoes. There is also a smaller sandy area that isn't as rocky. I was able to wade into the water, usually without my water shoes, and I would consider myself a baby when it comes to my feet. The snorkeling was absolutely incredible. Bring a water camera and feed the fish some leftover bread from breakfast. Seriously, the best snorkeling I've ever experienced.

Pool - I didn't spend much time in the pool. I traveled with a group of friends (10 of us total) so we had a lot of fun hanging out at the pool bar. There is not a bartender hanging out down there all the time, but if you flag them down they come and help you. I smile, please, and thank you go a long way.

Food - We tried all of the restaurants at least once. My favorite was the Oceana (seafood only). My husband doesn't like seafood, but he was a trooper and went with me anyway. He ordered the mahi mahi and thought it was great! My recommendation is to dine early. Some of the restaurants would run out of items later in the evening.

Staff - I had no issues with the staff. I'm embarrassed to say that I witnessed, on several occasions, guests being rude/unkind to staff members and getting the third degree in return. Smile! Order your drink/food/extra room key/etc. and say please! When they give it to you, say thank you! I was always greeted with kindness at the front desk. Bartenders were very helpful in finding me a drink I would enjoy. Waitstaff/servers at the restaurants have it tough. When the restaurant would run out of something, they would apologize and offer something else in it's place.

Special thanks to Rene (pool bar), Sasha (Oceana), and Sherman (Himitsu).

Room Tip: Rooms are cold at night. Bring warm pajamas. If you need an extra blanket, ask for one. Pelican...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao? Share your experiences!