“Great resort excellent bar tending” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao

You added Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao to your Saves list
Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Dr. Martin Luther King Blvd. 78, Willemstad, Curacao (Formerly Princess Beach Curacao Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #16 of 29 Hotels in Willemstad
Trinidad
“Great resort excellent bar tending”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My buddies and i stayed at this resort room 5103 Monday 1st to Thursday 04th April 2013 ,it was great ,food was fantastic although we did get to try the Grill food,the little time i spent in the beach was amazing, i must say that it was a bit too short wish it could have been a longer vacation, met really nice people at the hotel especially at the bar . The drinks could be a little more on the "johnny walker" side of things Dewar's just doesn't cut it, mix drinks on the other hand were amazing although i'm not a fan but it was dam good!!! "Dark sky". Check out time was too much on the edge, 12:00 pm was too much of a hassle it should be more to the evening around 6:00 pm so that we could enjoy the last of the hotel the beach,the sand, the scenery, the pools and the great staff and not forgetting the Casino :). Waking up as early to have everything organised in a rush was not exciting at all for us. Suncape please review your check out time and i will be a regular there ...

Big up to the Bartenders they are hard workers, and to Miss. Darling at the front desk you are a darling :) thank you for checking us in you did it with a warm beautiful smile couldn't ask for anything more. Didn't get to say goodbye to you so goodbye my darling :)..

Thank you Suncape for great vacation,excellent service!!!

I will recommend you all anytime .......

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (725)
  • Polish first
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My wife and I just returned to Toronto from a week at the Sunscape and overall we had a great time. We are both active travellers and - although we have been to some really high end resorts - are willing to adjust our sights when we choose a 3 or 4 star resort. The Sunscape is billed as a 4 star but in reality is probably closer to a 3 1/2. As many have mentioned, the renovated rooms are far nicer and we were lucky to end up in one after first being assigned a room in the old section near the main pool. The beach does have a bit of coral as you enter, but the payoff once you get in is great. The water is crystal clear and a breakwater creates a natural lagoon with lots of opportunities to snorkel with a surprising number and variety of fish. And great for novice snorkelers. There are also windsurfers, kayaks and paddle boats that can be used at no charge.The food and restaurants are not bad and we had fun trying out the four different restaurants - seafood, Italian, Japanese and steak. The main buffet had lots of choice, the food was always hot and fresh and most tables had a view out to the ocean - what's not to like? The staff at the hotel really won us over - unfailingly helpful, cheerful and enthusiastic - all the while dealing with all of the demanding guests. We had lots of fun exchanges, with waiters, bartenders and front desk staff who were always able to handle the small issues we had. The hotel caters to a very varied clientele and the week we were there there were tourists from Holland, France, Belgium, Canada, Venezuela, Trinidad, the US, Germany along with lots of locals. It is also very family-friendly so not an adults-only atmosphere if that is what you are looking for. Can't comment on the onsite dive shop as I used The Dive Bus, across the street from the resort (recommended). Curacao itself is beautiful and we rented a car for a couple of days to explore the many beaches in the west end of the island. So to sum up, if you come with the right attitude and understand the type and scale of resort you are coming to - you will/can have a fantastic time. We did!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We spent a week at this resort and we considered it to be average. Nothing to get too excited about.
We stayed at the Pelican building, we upgraded to Ocean View rooms. The rooms are very standard with a large balcony. The floor tiles are old but the rest of the room looked as if it was recently renovated. There was an LCD TV located to the side of the bed, which made watching it from the bed very uncomfortable.
The beach is nice, with lots of chairs. Lots of options for shade either under the huts or under the palm trees.
They have a very good gym. Also they offer a lot of free activities such as snorkeling, paddle boats, free diving equipment to dive from the shore, wind surfing, etc.
The food is average. The buffet selection is very poor compared to other hotels I visited. Also, it is not easy to get a seat at the Japanese, Grill or Italian a la carte restaurants. We tried the 3 of them but the food was nothing to write home about.
The service is average, some of the servers are helpful others are there for a long period of time and look very tired. For example the lady that served coffee was there all day long for 2 days in a row since early morning until midnight. I felt sorry for her standing there all day long.
We paid quite a bit of money to go to this hotel and we thought it was too much.
We still manage to have a great time, Curacao is amazing! We did a bit of exploring outside the resort and next time we go, we will not stay at an all inclusive.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Port of Spain, Trinidad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in sunscape hotel . Upon arrival the staff greeted us "welcome home " and check in was smooth. Food was the best just like home they have mash potatoes roast chicken fish steak and curry chicken. The grill food was awesome especially the grill chicken. The Japanese restaurant was the best compliments to the chef Shermon san . Room cleaned everyday and fridge stocked with drinks. Snorkeling and watersports were also great. The core zone is awesome as well and there is rock climbing and the staff is Superrrr helpful. The people with the bad reviews I believe their are fake to bring down the awesome reputation if this hotel. The place is the best. Will definately be returning .

• Stayed April 2013
Middletown, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Let me start by saying I am a travel agent, and have traveled to many tropical locations & stayed at other beautiful resorts, so I have something to compare this to. My husband and I took our 3 children aged 11, 9 & 6, to Sunscape Curacao for a week stay, March 26-April 2nd and had a really nice time. There were many positives that make me recommend this resort, but after reading many reviews & experiencing a week there, I can see why there is a pattern of similar negative comments. I think it's best to break down by pros & cons...sorry if this is long, but if you are really considering this I am giving you some good honest feedback:

PROS: Location is absolutely stunning. The moment you walk into the resort you feel like you are instantly on vacation. The water is gorgeous & crystal clear, and although the beach was a little rough in parts, the water more than makes up for a little rocky sand. There were lots of beautiful fish to see, and my kids spent hours each day (as did we), snorkeling and enjoying the beach. We changed location from the Tower to the Flamingo building, which was MUCH better, renovated & secluded & the beach was better there. The kids would go take a kayak or peddle boat out and have fun while my husband and I relaxed and watched, as the water is very calm. Even the 6 yr old kayaked alone! The catamaran sailing was fun, too. I need to give a BIG THANK YOU to the Explorer's Club - the people who work there were fantastic! At any time in the day my kids wanted to go off and do crafts or play games or rock climb, there was alway something going on at the Explorer's Club. My kids did a camp out, which even allowed us a romantic dinner alone for one night, which was priceless. I highly recommend if you have children that you consider this when choosing a resort. The people who run the kids programs are very nice, caring, and each speak a few languages, which helped tremendously in making the kids feel comfortable and making friends. The Easter activities were enjoyable and the kids had all good things to say about the time they spent there. We found the food at the Hibachi, Italian, and Oceana to be pretty good as well. We did not experience any watered down drinks. Lastly, I have to say the resort went out of their way to provide entertainment at all times of the day that you could participate in if you wished. The gym was very nice, but with such a great location I would have loved to do yoga on the beach.

CONS: Management, management management! Seems there is absolutely no communication going on at this resort. We did not let any of that get in the way of our vacation, though. I think the front desk staff was terrible, and slow. I told them many times that I was a travel agent and recommend people to Curacao often, told them it was a special week, as me & my husband were celebrating our 40th birthdays, and I called several times before arriving to confirm that we had connecting rooms on the first floor of a renovated building. LONG story short, the first room was the 5th floor on opposite sides of the building from each other. (FYI we wanted one room but were told b/c we had 5 people we needed 2 rooms and I did not want to separated from the kids so adjoining was a must). Then switched to 1st floor in an old, non-renovated room, no AC & still not adjoining. After 2 nights we moved to Flamingo building, but they sent us to 3 other rooms until we got a renovated room next to each other (not adjoining so me & my husband were separated the whole week). Meanwhile at dinner, people would tell me they don't know why they have connecting rooms when they didn't need one. Management told me, there were no connecting rooms at all left. This was quite annoying, and I had to let it go. Other things I would say would be menu selections were limited, as it was the same food each night. Variety would be so much better, especially since it costs so much to go there. Service at Oceana was VERY slow, and the waitress did not even know how any of the food was prepared when asked (there were only 8 items on the menu, too!). She even brought the kids liquor in ice cream, then said she didn't know what the desserts were! We let that go, too. Our room was clean, but there were lots of mosquitos. The room I stayed in had hanging wires instead of a light fixture, and the shower did not have a full door or finished hardware, it was just putty around the nozzle. No phone either. Let that go, as the view was amazing. Lastly, I recommend bringing your own masks/snorkels if you are going here. They say each person takes out a mask for an hour, but in reality you need to go back and check 10x because there is no accountability for where the masks are...you simply get lucky if there are masks available. If you have kids - they will definitely want them every day.

BOTTOM LINE: If you are looking for a beautiful location, very kid friendly, and you are not very high maintenance, this will be the perfect choice. I absolutely loved the convenience of the all inclusive, and the ease in getting around for the kids. The layout is really nice. Easy to get into town if needed or to the aquarium. We would definitely go back, but hope our suggestions help improve things there. If it were just my husband and I going, I would probably opt for another resort, as I think I would feel limited & there are nice dining options in town. For what we were looking for in a family vacation, CONVENIENCE - it was perfect.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

My husband and I (both seniors) spent a week at the Sunscape leading up to the Easter holiday. We selected this hotel based on price and location and we were both very happy with our choice.

The Beach – The water here was the clearest and calmest we have experienced in the Caribbean. The snorkelling was excellent with a huge variety of fish. We even saw a lionfish and a barracuda. Yes, the first few steps into the water can be a little rocky for some, but if you walk down to the end of the resort by the 8 block it’s quite sandy. The resort has strategically placed large rocks in the water that act as a barrier to the open sea – but they are far enough from shore to allow plenty of room to swim, kayak or windsurf and without them the water would be rough and there wouldn’t be any fish to look at. We didn’t do any diving on this trip, but heard many positive reviews of the on-site dive operation.

My only complaint about the beach is the people who ‘save’ their spots under the huts before they go to bed at night and don’t show up to use them until after noon. I don’t know what the answer is to this ubiquitous problem but whoever comes up with a workable solution should patent it!

The Hotel Room – The rooms are typical Caribbean – nothing fancy, but spacious and clean. In our room (7 block) the linens, curtains and furnishings were obviously brand new, although some work still needs to be done. The ceramic flooring was chipped in places, and the air conditioning in our room smelled of mildew. Our solution was to keep it turned off during the day when we weren’t it in the room and we only turned it on when we went to sleep at night when we were too tired to notice it. Showers had great water pressure, and plenty of hot water. Sheets and towels were changed every day – although some days it was after 4 pm - not a big deal for us.

The Food – We really liked the ‘no reservation’ policy for the à la carte restaurants at this resort. It worked well, and the food was excellent at the two restaurants we tried. The buffet was fine – nothing fancy, and you won’t see the massive artistic displays of food here like some other Caribbean resorts, but you will find everything you need. There is plenty of room to sit, no line-ups, and pleasant staff to bring your drinks and clear your plates.

BTW, if you are looking for a good restaurant off-site, try Fort Nassau. The view is amazing, the food excellent, and the price reasonable.

Activities – We didn’t participate in any of the Sunscape’s activities or nightlife, however it offers a lot of choice for those who wish to. Activity bulletins are updated and placed in your room on a daily basis.

The Sea Aquarium is a 15 minute walk down the beach from the resort and there are lots of beach bars and some shops to check out along the way. Be sure to wear your bathing suit – it’s a hot walk!

We booked the free shuttle to town (it must be booked the day before you want to go – do it early in the a.m. to avoid disappointment) which is must-do while in Curacao. The town is very picturesque and the floating farmers/fish market and the swinging bridge are fantastic.

The Kids Club looked fantastic and the staff wear the best uniforms I have ever seen! Apparently this is the only resort on the island with a full kid’s activity program which is probably why there were so many kids there!

We look forward to going back to Curacao - one week wasn't long enough, but as seniors, we will look for an adults-only next time. No reflection on this resort - it is an excellent choice for families.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I was there for the week of 25 Mar 13. If you're looking for a 5 star hotel or are a whiner, this isn't the place for you. It's a great value. I read in other reviews to ask for the Pelican Bldg or the 7000 bldg because it has been completely renovated. I did and it was. They said they upgraded me to oceanview from garden view. It was a great room, overlooking the pool bar, pools, and the ocean. It is a bit of a walk to the main pool and restaurant area (1000 ft) but I thought it was great to walk off all the food. The hotel staff especially at the bars went the extra mile to please you. Gigio and Norma had to be the happiest people on the planet. If you tip them (I didn't see anyone do this) they will make sure your glass is never empty, never have to wait (even though there may be other people waiting) and mix the drink ANY way or strength you like. Nothing like the power of a tip. The food in the restaurants (dinner only) was really good and service was excellent. In the buffet although the food was good, frequently is was not hot. Entertainment in the early evening was very good although hardly anyone would dance. More room for me. The disco was open from 11 PM - 3 AM however I never saw anyone there. All bars close by 10:30 PM except the disco bar. You can get a drink in the casino however only 2 free drinks per room per day. The casino has nothing to do with the hotel. If you have an early morning flight out, don't rely on a hotel wake up call and allow an extra hour for the staff to get you a taxi. Another couple said they had a free shuttle from the hotel to the airport but it never showed up. Taxi from airport to hotel was $35 US and from hotel to airport at 5 AM was $12.50 US per person. Beach towels and shaded beach lounge chairs usually run out early like around 9-10 AM so get there early. When on the beach you have to get your own drinks. All in all it was a great trip and I would do it again.

Room Tip: Building 7000. Newly renovated. Very quiet.