“An average resort” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao

Save Saved
You added Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao to your Saves list
Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Dr. Martin Luther King Blvd. 78, Willemstad, Curacao (Formerly Princess Beach Curacao Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Hot Hot Hot Savings!
Ranked #10 of 27 hotels in Willemstad
Ottawa, Canada
“An average resort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We spent a week at this resort and we considered it to be average. Nothing to get too excited about.
We stayed at the Pelican building, we upgraded to Ocean View rooms. The rooms are very standard with a large balcony. The floor tiles are old but the rest of the room looked as if it was recently renovated. There was an LCD TV located to the side of the bed, which made watching it from the bed very uncomfortable.
The beach is nice, with lots of chairs. Lots of options for shade either under the huts or under the palm trees.
They have a very good gym. Also they offer a lot of free activities such as snorkeling, paddle boats, free diving equipment to dive from the shore, wind surfing, etc.
The food is average. The buffet selection is very poor compared to other hotels I visited. Also, it is not easy to get a seat at the Japanese, Grill or Italian a la carte restaurants. We tried the 3 of them but the food was nothing to write home about.
The service is average, some of the servers are helpful others are there for a long period of time and look very tired. For example the lady that served coffee was there all day long for 2 days in a row since early morning until midnight. I felt sorry for her standing there all day long.
We paid quite a bit of money to go to this hotel and we thought it was too much.
We still manage to have a great time, Curacao is amazing! We did a bit of exploring outside the resort and next time we go, we will not stay at an all inclusive.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

1,125 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
Port of Spain, Trinidad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Stayed in sunscape hotel . Upon arrival the staff greeted us "welcome home " and check in was smooth. Food was the best just like home they have mash potatoes roast chicken fish steak and curry chicken. The grill food was awesome especially the grill chicken. The Japanese restaurant was the best compliments to the chef Shermon san . Room cleaned everyday and fridge stocked with drinks. Snorkeling and watersports were also great. The core zone is awesome as well and there is rock climbing and the staff is Superrrr helpful. The people with the bad reviews I believe their are fake to bring down the awesome reputation if this hotel. The place is the best. Will definately be returning .

• Stayed April 2013
Middletown, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Let me start by saying I am a travel agent, and have traveled to many tropical locations & stayed at other beautiful resorts, so I have something to compare this to. My husband and I took our 3 children aged 11, 9 & 6, to Sunscape Curacao for a week stay, March 26-April 2nd and had a really nice time. There were many positives that make me recommend this resort, but after reading many reviews & experiencing a week there, I can see why there is a pattern of similar negative comments. I think it's best to break down by pros & cons...sorry if this is long, but if you are really considering this I am giving you some good honest feedback:

PROS: Location is absolutely stunning. The moment you walk into the resort you feel like you are instantly on vacation. The water is gorgeous & crystal clear, and although the beach was a little rough in parts, the water more than makes up for a little rocky sand. There were lots of beautiful fish to see, and my kids spent hours each day (as did we), snorkeling and enjoying the beach. We changed location from the Tower to the Flamingo building, which was MUCH better, renovated & secluded & the beach was better there. The kids would go take a kayak or peddle boat out and have fun while my husband and I relaxed and watched, as the water is very calm. Even the 6 yr old kayaked alone! The catamaran sailing was fun, too. I need to give a BIG THANK YOU to the Explorer's Club - the people who work there were fantastic! At any time in the day my kids wanted to go off and do crafts or play games or rock climb, there was alway something going on at the Explorer's Club. My kids did a camp out, which even allowed us a romantic dinner alone for one night, which was priceless. I highly recommend if you have children that you consider this when choosing a resort. The people who run the kids programs are very nice, caring, and each speak a few languages, which helped tremendously in making the kids feel comfortable and making friends. The Easter activities were enjoyable and the kids had all good things to say about the time they spent there. We found the food at the Hibachi, Italian, and Oceana to be pretty good as well. We did not experience any watered down drinks. Lastly, I have to say the resort went out of their way to provide entertainment at all times of the day that you could participate in if you wished. The gym was very nice, but with such a great location I would have loved to do yoga on the beach.

CONS: Management, management management! Seems there is absolutely no communication going on at this resort. We did not let any of that get in the way of our vacation, though. I think the front desk staff was terrible, and slow. I told them many times that I was a travel agent and recommend people to Curacao often, told them it was a special week, as me & my husband were celebrating our 40th birthdays, and I called several times before arriving to confirm that we had connecting rooms on the first floor of a renovated building. LONG story short, the first room was the 5th floor on opposite sides of the building from each other. (FYI we wanted one room but were told b/c we had 5 people we needed 2 rooms and I did not want to separated from the kids so adjoining was a must). Then switched to 1st floor in an old, non-renovated room, no AC & still not adjoining. After 2 nights we moved to Flamingo building, but they sent us to 3 other rooms until we got a renovated room next to each other (not adjoining so me & my husband were separated the whole week). Meanwhile at dinner, people would tell me they don't know why they have connecting rooms when they didn't need one. Management told me, there were no connecting rooms at all left. This was quite annoying, and I had to let it go. Other things I would say would be menu selections were limited, as it was the same food each night. Variety would be so much better, especially since it costs so much to go there. Service at Oceana was VERY slow, and the waitress did not even know how any of the food was prepared when asked (there were only 8 items on the menu, too!). She even brought the kids liquor in ice cream, then said she didn't know what the desserts were! We let that go, too. Our room was clean, but there were lots of mosquitos. The room I stayed in had hanging wires instead of a light fixture, and the shower did not have a full door or finished hardware, it was just putty around the nozzle. No phone either. Let that go, as the view was amazing. Lastly, I recommend bringing your own masks/snorkels if you are going here. They say each person takes out a mask for an hour, but in reality you need to go back and check 10x because there is no accountability for where the masks are...you simply get lucky if there are masks available. If you have kids - they will definitely want them every day.

BOTTOM LINE: If you are looking for a beautiful location, very kid friendly, and you are not very high maintenance, this will be the perfect choice. I absolutely loved the convenience of the all inclusive, and the ease in getting around for the kids. The layout is really nice. Easy to get into town if needed or to the aquarium. We would definitely go back, but hope our suggestions help improve things there. If it were just my husband and I going, I would probably opt for another resort, as I think I would feel limited & there are nice dining options in town. For what we were looking for in a family vacation, CONVENIENCE - it was perfect.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

My husband and I (both seniors) spent a week at the Sunscape leading up to the Easter holiday. We selected this hotel based on price and location and we were both very happy with our choice.

The Beach – The water here was the clearest and calmest we have experienced in the Caribbean. The snorkelling was excellent with a huge variety of fish. We even saw a lionfish and a barracuda. Yes, the first few steps into the water can be a little rocky for some, but if you walk down to the end of the resort by the 8 block it’s quite sandy. The resort has strategically placed large rocks in the water that act as a barrier to the open sea – but they are far enough from shore to allow plenty of room to swim, kayak or windsurf and without them the water would be rough and there wouldn’t be any fish to look at. We didn’t do any diving on this trip, but heard many positive reviews of the on-site dive operation.

My only complaint about the beach is the people who ‘save’ their spots under the huts before they go to bed at night and don’t show up to use them until after noon. I don’t know what the answer is to this ubiquitous problem but whoever comes up with a workable solution should patent it!

The Hotel Room – The rooms are typical Caribbean – nothing fancy, but spacious and clean. In our room (7 block) the linens, curtains and furnishings were obviously brand new, although some work still needs to be done. The ceramic flooring was chipped in places, and the air conditioning in our room smelled of mildew. Our solution was to keep it turned off during the day when we weren’t it in the room and we only turned it on when we went to sleep at night when we were too tired to notice it. Showers had great water pressure, and plenty of hot water. Sheets and towels were changed every day – although some days it was after 4 pm - not a big deal for us.

The Food – We really liked the ‘no reservation’ policy for the à la carte restaurants at this resort. It worked well, and the food was excellent at the two restaurants we tried. The buffet was fine – nothing fancy, and you won’t see the massive artistic displays of food here like some other Caribbean resorts, but you will find everything you need. There is plenty of room to sit, no line-ups, and pleasant staff to bring your drinks and clear your plates.

BTW, if you are looking for a good restaurant off-site, try Fort Nassau. The view is amazing, the food excellent, and the price reasonable.

Activities – We didn’t participate in any of the Sunscape’s activities or nightlife, however it offers a lot of choice for those who wish to. Activity bulletins are updated and placed in your room on a daily basis.

The Sea Aquarium is a 15 minute walk down the beach from the resort and there are lots of beach bars and some shops to check out along the way. Be sure to wear your bathing suit – it’s a hot walk!

We booked the free shuttle to town (it must be booked the day before you want to go – do it early in the a.m. to avoid disappointment) which is must-do while in Curacao. The town is very picturesque and the floating farmers/fish market and the swinging bridge are fantastic.

The Kids Club looked fantastic and the staff wear the best uniforms I have ever seen! Apparently this is the only resort on the island with a full kid’s activity program which is probably why there were so many kids there!

We look forward to going back to Curacao - one week wasn't long enough, but as seniors, we will look for an adults-only next time. No reflection on this resort - it is an excellent choice for families.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I was there for the week of 25 Mar 13. If you're looking for a 5 star hotel or are a whiner, this isn't the place for you. It's a great value. I read in other reviews to ask for the Pelican Bldg or the 7000 bldg because it has been completely renovated. I did and it was. They said they upgraded me to oceanview from garden view. It was a great room, overlooking the pool bar, pools, and the ocean. It is a bit of a walk to the main pool and restaurant area (1000 ft) but I thought it was great to walk off all the food. The hotel staff especially at the bars went the extra mile to please you. Gigio and Norma had to be the happiest people on the planet. If you tip them (I didn't see anyone do this) they will make sure your glass is never empty, never have to wait (even though there may be other people waiting) and mix the drink ANY way or strength you like. Nothing like the power of a tip. The food in the restaurants (dinner only) was really good and service was excellent. In the buffet although the food was good, frequently is was not hot. Entertainment in the early evening was very good although hardly anyone would dance. More room for me. The disco was open from 11 PM - 3 AM however I never saw anyone there. All bars close by 10:30 PM except the disco bar. You can get a drink in the casino however only 2 free drinks per room per day. The casino has nothing to do with the hotel. If you have an early morning flight out, don't rely on a hotel wake up call and allow an extra hour for the staff to get you a taxi. Another couple said they had a free shuttle from the hotel to the airport but it never showed up. Taxi from airport to hotel was $35 US and from hotel to airport at 5 AM was $12.50 US per person. Beach towels and shaded beach lounge chairs usually run out early like around 9-10 AM so get there early. When on the beach you have to get your own drinks. All in all it was a great trip and I would do it again.

Room Tip: Building 7000. Newly renovated. Very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Williamsport, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I am amazed by the positive reviews that I have just read. My family and I just got back from a week at this place, and I'm wondering how these folks could have stayed at the same resort. My wife and I, the kids and my parents went to celebrate our 20th anniversary and my parents' 50th. The folks who picked us up at the airport were wonderful, friendly, cheerful and helpful. Clearly the management had read the numerous reviews about the brutal check in process because we were greeted with champagne and lemonade while we waited. And waited. And waited. The front desk is understaffed and very slow, a theme that would repeat anytime we needed help during our stay. For whatever reason the key to one of our rooms kept failing to work. Too bad; wait in line for 15 minutes. For whatever reason, no matter the crowd, the front desk never has more than two people, who generally seem to work at a pace that would make a snail proud. Following the painful checkin, you emerge onto the faciltiy grounds, that in fairness, is like walking into heaven. Here the archictechts for Breezes (the former owners) and Mother Nature have done a magical job. Water, palm trees and grass hut umbrellas everywhere. Just beautiful. Yet the beach is very rocky and it is difficult to get into the water. Because of the lengthy rock jetty, however, the snorkelling was great; many beautiful fish. Rooms were spacious, although one of our three rooms had a constant mildew smell and bugs crawling. We called and they eventually sent up a maintenance man with bug spray. He was very thorough, spraying the entire room. Sadly to no avail. Bugs remained until checkout. Housekeeping was at best spotty. Towels came on occasion, but also did not come on occasion. At a beach resort, clean towels are nice to have. Just don't count on it. The website advertises a replenished minibar. There was no minibar on arrival. We complained (after duly serving our fifteen minute wait time at the front desk. No doubt coincidentally, the entire building had minibars installed that very day. Once in awhile;, they were even restocked! Food service and quality was spotty. Japanese restaurant was very good, as was Italian restaurant. Buffet, except for breakfast, was horrible. Limited options; low quality. Blue Water Grill was supposed to open at 6:30. Because you have to get there at least half an hour early to get in at opening time we were there at 5:45, only to learn that that day they were opening at 7. This was typical. Time means nothing to these people; for example the catamarand rides were to start at 11. The tour guides would routinely show up around 11:30, if then. Drinks were watered down, once you could finally get one. Lunch was limited to the subpar buffet and burgers/chicken/fish plus fries on the grill. Every day without change. Do not go for the food; we couldn't wait to get away from it. The biggest problem, in our view was the service. The help ranged from awesome (Norma) to very hard working (Hardai and grounds crew) to simply surly. We largely viewed this as a management problem; management is absent. For the money this place costs I don't want to keep hearing excuses like "you're on island time" or "relax you're on vacation". Money and vacation time are limited, and I don't want to waste it standing in line, being ignored by the staff or arriving 45 minutes early for dinner because they won't accept reservations. Once Sunscape took over from Breezes, it's amazing that they didn't just clean house, staff and management. And if they did, they should do so again. Oh, and for a mere 20 bucks you get Wifi that works in about a 10 square foot space. And only that space. It's 2013. Let's embrace the internet folks. And don't get sucked in by the website (the pictures showing various activites and a pleasant sandy beach are simply false) or the few positive reviews on here. You can do much better for the time and money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

My boyfriend and I traveled to The Sunscape Resort and Spa in Curacao two weeks ago for a four night stay (March 17th-March 21st). I feel completely responsible to write an honest review in order to save a few worries based on previous reviews.

First of all - before staying here (or not staying here) based on reviews you need to take into consideration the date the reviews were written compared to the date you are traveling. The hotel has undergone ENTIRE renovations to its services, facilities, staff and rooms in the past year. All renovations of the rooms are not yet done (however, the website clearly states this!). If you want a completely renovated room, and in my opinion the best location of the resort, call ahead of time and request to be placed in the Pelican or Flamingo building. We did so and had no trouble with our reservations upon arrival. The room was beautiful, clean and modern. We had a balcony with a window stretching the entire length of the wall, leaving us with a beautiful view of the ocean and Oceana restaurant and bar.

As far as the food and beverage goes, there was never an extreme shortage of cups as mentioned in reviews (maybe if you pace your beverages appropriately, you'll avoid this problem). The drinks were delicious, made to order and the bartenders were wonderful! Fun Fact: Sunscape has the 3rd and 4th place title winners for the 2013 Curacao National Bartending Competition. They were introduced and their winning drinks were made available during the week in addition to a Bartending show during the late afternoon. As far as "age discrimination", there isn't any... My boyfriend and I are both young adults and never felt uncomfortable or "cut-off" from the bars... These claims are outrageous and if you act responsible, you will not have any issues. The food was very good - some components needed a little improvement, but it was certainly nothing to ruin the dining experience. There is some language barriers between the occasional server, but they are very respectful and do everything they can to help out. Their was only a wait to eat ONCE for us, and they provide you with pagers so you can sit at the bar, pool deck or by the live music while waiting (big deal!). All other nights we were seated right away. I highly recommend the Oceana for dinner - it was the best meal we ate. The Oceana is also open during lunch as a walk-up grille, get the grilled chicken sandwich... I literally ate this every day for lunch. Best chicken sandwich I've ever had and the woman working the grille is so sweet!

The pools are VERY clean. Hint: go to the one at the Flamingo building. Almost no one would ever be there and it was so peaceful, right on the water and had shady spots to cool down from the sun.

The best area of the beach is by far the end of the resort in front of the Pelican and Flamingo buildings. Just to point out, the beaches are not "rocky", they are filled with coral. The first few steps in the water can be painful on your feet but it smooths out right after that. However, if you want to complain about coral bits hurting your feet, then don't complain about the coral and snorkeling at the resort not being there... It's a give and take situation. It may be a little "rocky", but you're literally living at a beautiful coral reef/snorkeling location.

Transportation to and from the city comes at 9am and 2pm -- you need to sign up in advance to assure your spot on the shuttle but its well worth it the town is gorgeous and some really great shopping will fill your day. The aquarium is right up the road, we walked there and it took about 5-10 minutes at most. The dolphin show is great and is included in the ticket price!

We also did the romantic dining for two on the beach. They set up a private table right on the water and scheduled it for sunset. There were candles and flowers around the table (as it was our anniversary) and we enjoyed a glass of wine, delicious Salmon salad, grilled lobster tail for dinner and cheesecake with fresh fruit for dessert. It was well worth it and our server was the sweetest woman I've ever had the pleasure to have.

The only downfall I would say is the nightlife. There was great live music until 10-10:30pm every night but after that the only events were at the "Disco". I can't blame the resort for the "lameness" of the nightlife. The entertainment team was great, upbeat and constantly trying to get people involved... The downside to nightlife was the people at the resort. Your fun is what you make it. The opportunities are there but the people did not take advantage of it on any night. If they had, the night life would have had the same reviews as the rest of my stay.

Also, the spa was rather pricey. A 50-minute basic massage (indoors) cost $125. And the massage on the water cost $140. We skipped the spa figuring we could put our money to better use.

I know this review is long but I couldn't help myself but wonder where these other reviewers stayed! They're experiences not only mismatch that of ours, but I couldn't even find a possibility of some of these things occurring. Since the renovations have come together, Sunscape has certainly got their issues worked out. Obviously nothing is perfect... But if you're looking for perfect, you need to be willing to pay for perfect. With the price you pay to stay at this resort, you need to enjoy your vacation, not sweat the little things and have the vacation of a lifetime like we did!

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao? Share your experiences!