“The Hotel From Hell Welcome to my NIghtmare” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao

You added Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao to your Saves list
Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Dr. Martin Luther King Blvd. 78, Willemstad, Curacao (Formerly Princess Beach Curacao Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Willemstad
toronto
“The Hotel From Hell Welcome to my NIghtmare”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This Hotel is still under Major renovations and should not be open yet!
There was constant banging hammering drilling all day in our building they were working on elevator By our room we saw a very large roach ,
There was a strong mold smell in our room there was water on the floor of our bathroom as well on other side of the wall in the hall room .While we were taking our shower; we were being showered by the water coming from the shower upstairs.
We had to fight off the Pigeons at each and every meal in the buffet area as well as on the patio in the common area , the pigeons would try to constantly steal your food of your table and even on your plate ;while you tried to eat your meal
The pigeons would constantly fly over our heads to the rafters above or vacant tables/chairs while they drop their poop on you, on your food, the tables, the chairs and the floor .
The staff tries to keep eating area clean but this is a losing battle as their is between 30 - 50 birds in the eating area at meal time!
These Pigeons carry 2 types of respiratory diseases which becomes airborne when you clean up these droppings so all in the area are being exposed to these diseases
The staff feed these birds in the morning by the beach in hopes that they will stay away !
Sand flies are in the sand were they seat your for that sea food dinner under the star ( sea food very bad fish was mushy ). The food in the buffet was repetitive for each and every meal there was mostly plain rice, rice with vegetables , beans /Legumes , chick peas pasta and more pasta bread ,greasy sliced meat some cheese variety there was no variety of fruit daily ,nor did they have fresh fruit juice if you wanted a salad there was only tomatoes lettuce and cucumber to make your salad with! Bring a saw for the meat which is usually over or under cooked very bad grade of meats being used!
Tried use jacuzzi to relax How is this possible with children always in the jacuzzi even when the sign clearly says adults only .Children tinkling #1 on ledge of jacuzzi which ran right into the jacuzzi ! Unlimited fun Where was that Run away keep going

Room Tip: no renovated rooms the beds are hard as a rock
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

After having been to Breezes several times and dissapointed in the way the management was letting it get run down, it was a pleasure to see the ongoing improvements and a much improved customer service from Sunscape.
A well rounded resort with good food, beach and snorkeling.
Can't wait for the completion of the renovations and in implementation of the preffered club.

Room Tip: Loved bldg #7 witch had recently been remodeled. Nice and quiet. # 8 was still being remodeled.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Grand Junction, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We spent 5 nights at Sunscape Curacao, Dec. 12th-18th. We got a smokin good deal through CheapCaribbean.com. I find some of these reviews totally opposite of our experience. I am a well traveled individual, and do so with an open mind. I read many reviews before going and pretty much knew what to expect. I would think everyone should do that. I realize everywhere you go and everything you do is a new experience and pretty much relevant to what your expectations are. I think a lot of how you are treated depends on your attitude and how you treat others. Like other reviews have said, this is not the Mexican Riviera. That being said, I will start from the beginning and try and keep it as short and simple as possible.
The morning of departure started out bad, as our plane was grounded for 6 hours at our home airport due to mechanical issues and there was no way we could make our connections in Dallas and Miami. We chose to leave as soon as possible and spend the night in Miami instead of waiting to leave the next morning. I phoned the hotel and spoke with Vianna(?), not how you spell her name, to see if we could extend our stay one night since we would not be arriving for our first night. She did a bit of checking and we were told it would be no problem. No extra charge. No problem!!!
After clearing customs in Curacao we walked outside and found a gal holding up the Sunscape sign who directed us where to go and wait to catch the FREE shuttle to the hotel. We were given a bottle of cold water and had about a half hour wait. Dropped off a couple at the Marriott and off we were to our destination.
Our checkin went quickly and smoothly. No wait at all. Maybe we just arrived at a good time, as I did walk by the lobby a few other times and noticed it full of arrivals. (The resort was probably not even half full during our stay.) We then talked with Fatinka and Edwardo a few minutes and were taken directly to our room.
THE ROOM: I had requested an ocean view in the Pelican building on the top floor, and that is exactly what we were given. The room was small, but we don't spend much time in the room anyway. I do not think they had completed the remodel on it, but it was no too bad. The furniture was in need of replacement, but I think that was happening.The beds were clean and comfortable for us. Extra blankets are in the bottom dresser drawers, which we did not discover until the second night. I requested a mini fridge since there was not one in the room, and one arrived within the 1/2 hour. It did take 2 days before anything was put into it, which consisted of Diet coke, coke, sprite and orange juice. No alcohol but we would not have drank it anyway. Probably would have been given some if requested. A/C worked good and the room was quiet. The only complaints I do have is that some construction guy came into our room the next morning to work on it, not knowing we were there. It was a bit startling since he just walked in and we were still in bed. I never said anything to the front desk about it and maybe should have. Did not happen again. We had also requested a king bed and the room had 2 queens. We did not ask to move. Just went with it. No need to stress over the small stuff. After all, this is a vacation and I like to stay relaxed!!! One of the evenings there was a slight sewer smell in the room. Never did figure out what it was, but it was gone the next day. would have said something if it wasn't.
I mentioned it was our anniversary and when we returned to our room the 2nd night there was a bottle of Champaign and fresh fruit waiting for us. Nice touch.
I walked up the stairs in the Tower Building, just to check it out and to take a picture of the resort. The elevator was not working, in fact it was not even there, and there was a horrible sewer smell. Heard the rooms were very large, but I would rather have a smaller newer room.
THE GROUNDS: We found the resort itself exactly what we expected. We have been to several of the Secret resorts in Mexico and the Dominican and did not expect this resort to be of the same quality. When booking the agent told us even though this resort is now owned by AM Resorts, it is the bottom line of their resorts.
There was a lot of construction going on, but nothing that interfered with our fun and relaxation. Never started too early and was finished up before supper time. In fact, the Flamingo building was completely gutted so no one was hanging out in the awesome pool there, except us. It was warm and quiet and we were usually all alone. We would get a few drinks from the bar by the Pelican building and just hang out peacefully. Loved it.
The beach was beautiful and ocean water clean, calm and clear. There are rocks in some areas and a lot of soft sand in others. We wore water shoes so we did not have to worry about it and could just go where ever we wanted to. We never had a problem finding a lounger in the shade on the beach anytime we wanted one, day or night. I snorkeled one morning with the snorkels the hotel provides and the fish were amazing. Best if you go out by the rocks and on the other side.
A guard with a dog stayed by the wall that separated the resort ground and the neighboring public beach right next to the Flamingo building. Not sure if this is a permanent thing or just because of all the remodel equipment left out over night. I never saw anyone try and come in and steal anything, but who knows. At least it was with a dog and not a gun, like in the Dominican!!!
The main pool was always warm and not too crowded. It is in need of a bit of a remodel as the there was mold or black stuff on most of the tile on the underwater stools at the Manatee bar. That probably will be part of the total remodel. I was a bit disappointed with the service at the swim up bar. There was none unless no one was wanting drinks on the top side. Needs to be addressed. I hated having to get out of the water to get a drink when at the Manatee. The reason we were there was so we could get swim up drinks. Beautiful view of the ocean and ships from the main pool, though.The sunsets were amazing so be sure to catch at least one of those.
The Lobby received new furnishings while we were there and a new bar area was opening up shortly. Looked very nice.
Went into the Casino one evening but found it very confusing and are not big gamblers anyway. Go to Vegas a couple times a year, but this was different. Had to pay $2 for a bottle of water which I thought was strange since it was suppose to be all-inclusive.
THE FOOD: The food was alright. We never had a wait at any of the restaurants. My husband had the Snapper at the Oceana and said it probably was the best he has ever had. I enjoyed the Japanese. Showed up just as they were going to start a show and was seated immediately with the group. The Italian was probably me least favorite, but still enjoyed it. The Blue Fin was closed during our stay due to remodeling. I especially enjoyed the burgers, chicken, fries and everything at the grill by the Pelican building. Can't remember the name of it. I did not especially like the offerings at the World Cafe but the omelets in the morning were good. Would have enjoyed more fresh fruit. Drank the water and never did get sick!!!
Had a romantic dinner on the beach our last night and it was wonderful. The Lobster was incredible and the service even better.
THE SERVICE: I found this area to be exceptional. Everything I requested was granted. We became "friends" with Fatinka and Edwardo and just went to them every time we needed something. They were wonderful to say the least. Would have liked more service while on the beach, but maybe this is coming also. Everyone seemed real anxious to please. The lady cooking at the grill by the Pelican building is probably one of the hardest workers I have ever seen. Anything we asked for she made for us. One evening I wanted ice cream and the waitress around the pool went and got me some. Just ask nicely and you will receive. The area they did fall down a bit on was, as I mentioned earlier, the swim up Manatee Bar. No service in the water and at times the bar tenders above were pre occupied with partying with the guest. No, they did not make Mojitos, which have always been m fav. Guess they do not have any lime. I tried a new drink, Dark Sky, and loved it. Made with Blue Curacao Liqueur. It is now my go to drink here at home!! Oh, and we never had an issue with beach towels. Anytime we needed one they had plenty, so I am not sure where the reviews of no beach towels are coming from. We also never had a problem with locals hanging out at the resort. In fact, I am not aware of this ever happening. If it did, it was handled well so the paying guests did not even notice.
THE ENTERTAINMENT: We enjoyed the nightly shows. No, it wasn't Vegas quality, but we still found it very delightful. Beach night there were 3 guys with fire and the one night there were colorful dancers who got the audience involved with trying to learn the dances. Just some good clean fun.
ISLAnd FUN: We rented a car from Hertz, in the hotel lobby, and toured the island one day. It is a beautiful island with many incredible beaches and Landhuis's. Anyone wanting to see pictures, just contact me and I will send some. One word of caution, though. If going to Shete Boka, beware of the thieves waiting in the bushes to break into your car. We also walked to the Aquarium one afternoon. Short, easy walk. We walked late one afternoon a ways toward town and took many beautiful pictures. Especially of the boats at the beach next door. We also took the hotel shuttle into Willemstad one morning for 3 hours. It was delightful, 3 hours is plenty of time to walk around and see almost anything you would like to. Enjoyed the "oldest Synagogue in the Western Hemisphere," and floating market. Even got to be on the floating bridge when it opened. We found the island safe and the friendliest people we have ever encountered other than Shete Boka.
On the return trip to the airport, we had a very early flight. The hotel shuttle was prompt and we arrived i plenty of time to catch our flight home.

Room Tip: Quietest rooms are in the Pelican and Flamingo buildings. We stayed in room 7310 and had a good ocea...
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I visited Curacao for week with family. It was our first time there and we found the city very charming and different from most other cities we've visited on sun vacations. There was a free shuttle downtown from the hotel twice daily which was nice. I'm not a huge shopper but for anyone interested in jewellery or watches, you'll get a good deal for sure.

The hotel wasn't glamorous but we werent expecting that anyway. At first our room was in the Royal Tower but we found it hard to sleep the first night (Sunday) because of the parties going on at the neighbouring beach (Mambo Beach). Rooms in the royal tower are huge but outdated. We were then moved to another building (Heron i think?) which was really pretty. We noticed that things were being added to the rooms daily. They are clearly putting their best efforts forward to get the hotel ready asap.

I wouldn't really recommend this hotel for the 16-25 crowd, its mostly a family and couple-oriented resort and there aren't many activities during the day from what we saw. The beach is also very short which was probably the biggest disappointment for me. But Mambo Beach next door was pretty live..there are two or three bars there and good music on the weekends.

We were really impressed by all the a la cart restaurants. All of the staff at the bars and restaurants were incredibly sweet. Shout out to Tim the new bar manager!! Let's just say he makes some creative drinks on the spot and is fantastic at what he does ;) Entertainment staff was also a lot of fun even though they've been told to maintain a more chill environment now that the hotel is becoming a Sunscape.

Loveeeeddd the tropical fish that hang out in the shallow waters. They were so cute! Go to the Sunscape with an open mind and take in the sights and sounds this unique Island has to offer. Feel free to message me if you have any questions!

Room Tip: Royal Tower is noisy on weekends
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
CurJB, General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing our resort Sunscape Curacao as your home for your vacation. Also please receive warm greetings from us all and we thank you for taking time to share you experience at our resort with others.

We are glad to read that you found the city very charming and different and that you recommend our future costumers to visit our island and resort.

Our resort has been going thru a renovation process and recently flagged as a Sunscape. The royal wing is still pending for renovation which will take place mid-April and to be finished July 2013. This will be done internally and being a high-rise tower it will not have any inconveniences for our guests. I will share the comments of the noise from the neighbors with the contractor to see what can be done for it not to disturb our guests in the future.

For the last weeks indeed we still receiving the last pieces of furniture for the 202 rooms and suites that received a full face-lift same as our restaurants and bars. I am happy to read that you were very impressed by all the a la carte restaurants and that the F&B staff was all incredibly sweet, the entertainment being also fun and Tim made those creative drinks. I will share your comments with all our staff in our next event. Regarding the entertainment we are still balancing the activities with the team and for sure in the near future our customers can enjoy a relaxing daytime activity program while have a more lively evening.

On behalf of the Sunscape Curacao staff, it was more than a pleasure to have served you and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Sunsationally yours,
Jeanette M. Hooi-Bonet
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My family and I stayed over Christmas. The resort itself was formerly Breezes and taken over by Sunscape. When we booked we heard only good things about this resort. However when we got there it was a different story. The resort was very unorganized and the staff was either very nice or horrible. Normally I bring tip money for the staff. This time I came home with a lot of tip money.

We had to change our room because the locks on the door was broken, the safe was broken and lights were missing... They shouldn't have even given anyone this room before it was fixed. Also there was garbage scattered on the ground by a garbage bin looking down from our room. Disgusting!

The next day at dinner..... There were no reservations...... Only one a la cart open.....they couldn't accommodate us because we were 9...... And in the end they ran out of food and no one ate after 3 hours. We just left along with many other patrons.

Daily activities were not so organized. Different start up times than the scheduled times posted. We have kids that like activities!

The beach had glass scattered in little shards along the whole area.

During the day we had a blast snorkelling and scuba diving. The scuba came free with the resort. The scuba staff was incredible. By far the best place I have ever gone for snorkelling. The bonus is that it is right on the resort. My son loved the rock climbing. The disco and games room was fun but all the arcade games were not working properly.

In the end after the second day we had dropped our expectations, tried to relax, met some good people and ended up having a good time.

The potential for this resort is enormous if they can get there act together.

• Stayed December 2012
Anderson, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Our main goal for the choice of this hotel was for snorkeling and we were not disappointed. There is a man-made beach but it had sufficient sand and there was a man-made barrier reef about 75 yards off the beach that protected from the waves and did a great job of attracting fish. The snorkeling was so easy as we just walked right into the water and made the short swim to the reef. The reef runs most of the length of the property (about a quarter mile). The fish were plentiful and varied. We encountered schools every time we went. Even though the winds were brisk the visibility was very good. The water temperature was very comfortable. Our room was large and very comfortable on the fifth floor with a balcony and wonderful view of the Caribbean. The food was very good.The "World Cafe" is the main restaurant where breakfast is served and also lunch and dinner buffets. Each of the meals has a good buffet with lots of variety (catering to both American and Euro tastes). At breakfast you can get omelets to order and at lunch you can get pasta to order with tomato sauce, meat sauce, cheese sauce, and alfredo sauce. We also had dinner at Da Mario, an Italian restaurant with good food and at Himitsu, an Asian restaurant like Beni Hana's where the food is prepared with a flair right in front of you. I thought the food here was excellent but have had chefs with a little more flair. There was nightly entertainment but the only part we saw was music during dinner that was very good. We had lunch at the grill by the beach on one day (Bluewater Grill) which has burgers and chicken and fries for lunch. The food was fine but the service pretty slow. There was also a fish place called Oceana and a little cafe called Coco Cafe with pastries and coffee that we didn't use. There is also a shuttle that will take you into town for 3 hour shopping trip. We did that one afternoon and enjoyed it, especially the pontoon pedestrian bridge. There is also a casino at the resort but we didn't go in. We thought this was very good for the price which was pretty reasonable. We would recommend it highly but especially for half serious snorkelers. Divers may like it too as there is a dive boat that goes out twice a day. We also went on a short sail on a 15 foot catamaran that was very enjoyable. I noticed that there were numerous activities for children but I can't speak to the quality of them as it was just me and my wife. Overall, it was an excellent experience.

Room Tip: We think we got a free upgrade because we booked a garden view but ended up with a suite on the fift...
fort worth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Arrived on the 17th of December to Curacao from Trinidad. I am a travel buff and was leary at first after reading and comunicating with other travellers who had stayed here.
I understand that with changes in management, things can not be up to prior standards but I took a chance and stayed there anyways.
The hotel has a free shuttle to and from the airport. Great, no need to rent a car initially.
I did rent one though at the hotel through Hertz to get to my next destination- The Kura Lodge in Westpunt (another review).
Thoughts on the hotel are as follows:
Check in- slow but your on island time.
I was shown to my room by Juan (good guy from Haiti) who showed me how to operate the TV, Airco, etc.
I stayed in the Pelican wing. Third floor room 7309. All the rooms had just been recently remodeled.
The room was nice- a certain odor which was not paint eminated in the room. It was tolerable though and eventually I didn't even notice it.
After he left I went on the balcony and checked out the view. Below there was a bar that appeared to not only serve drinks but also food.
Went below to check it out.
The staff manning the bar and cooking the food were great. I went there every day to socialize with the staff. A small pool is nearby but it appeared that no one was using it. Some of the rooms in the Pelican wing had direct access to this pool. Sweet.
From there I went to check out the main pool and the restaurant.
The main pool is nice. I ended up spending my days by the main pool instead of the pool by my room.
Went to the World restaurant- the buffet.
The best meals throughout my stay there was breakfast. Eggs to order.
Lunch and dinner- blase and yet I understand. You have to appeal to everyones taste buds.
Met some fantastic people. Lot's of Dutchies and Canadians.
The staff, and I think this is so important are fantastic. They really went out of their way to ensure you are taken care of. Friendly, courteous, etc.
Would I stay there again? No. And it's not because of the hotel change or other oddities.
It's just that since travel is a passion I never go to the same place twice.
I would recommend the hotel though.
The price is reasonable and the staff is good.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the newly remodelled areas of the hotel. The Pelican Wing had just been rennovated. I...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
CurJB, General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are glad to read that you are recommending our resort. For the last months we have been going thru a renovation program and the team is working focused reach our goal which is to exceed our guest’s expectations and provide excellent service. True reviews like yours contributes to our success as the valuable feedback received help us to identify our strengths and shortcomings so we can take the necessary actions.

Sunsationally yours,

Jeanette M. Hooi-Bonet
info.sucur@sunscaperesorts.com

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino - Curacao? Share your experiences!